• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone - The Complete Collection coming to PC & PS5 late 2022?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I liked KZ2 multiplayer more than the single player. The game was eye candy but the game itself was a bit boring. I did actually finish it though so it must have done something alright

I feel like the original is the one that could use a comprehensive remake
Yeah, the KZ2 SP just didnt deliver on the original promise. It did not reach the epic highs of Halo 3, and despite the amazing atmosphere, it failed to elicit any kind of awe and spectacle you would expect from a big FPS game trying to compete against Halo 3 and Modern warfare.

Now KZ3 on the other hand is my guilty pleasure. It had fantastic setpieces and some really fun weapons. Yes, the story was awful, but i enjoyed it because i wanted to see it through. It's just a much better campaign than KZ2 imo.

coffinbirth

seinfeld-julia-louis-dreyfus.gif

Romulus

Nah, its bare minimum today but in the PS360 era, locked 30 fps was not very common. Most big AAA games dropped frames on a regular basis. KZ2 was one of the better ones when it came to average FPS at the time.

GTA5 came out 4 years later and he drops to 25-26 fps when driving around the city. On both platforms. TLOU had frame drops. Infamous came out around the same time and had frame drops. Halo 3 had frame drops. Nearly every third party game had framerate drops.

A big difference between a competitive shooter focused on squad mechanics and an open-world GTA5.

COD, Halo, and KZ2 were the most well-known smaller-scale MP shooters, and KZ2 was the worst offender in framerate and input lag.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

A big difference between a competitive shooter focused on squad mechanics and an open-world GTA5.

COD, Halo, and KZ2 were the most well-known smaller-scale MP shooters, and KZ2 was the worst offender in framerate and input lag.
100% agree.

It's a completely silly comparison, if I'll be honest.
Killzone 2 performance compared to GTA V performance? I'm not sure what this guy was even thinking. Killzone 2 felt like everything was covered in molasses compared to Halo 3 and CoD as well, haha.

Romulus

100% agree.

It's a completely silly comparison, if I'll be honest.
Killzone 2 performance compared to GTA V performance? I'm not sure what this guy was even thinking. Killzone 2 felt like everything was covered in molasses compared to Halo 3 and CoD as well, haha.

Killzone 3 was an improvement, but it shattered the idea that the devs intentionally wanted KZ2 to feel "heavy." It was total bullshit all along.

Last edited:
I think peeps that say killzone 2 sucks were just bad at the game.

Yeap and that is part why MP is so bad 🤔
I think kz3 was the fastest and then shadowfall, but it's been a while. Kz3 multi was bad, kz2 was legendary. Liked kz3 campaign though.

Shadow fall campaign was not bad overall, but the graphics help a lot lol. Best part is when you're on the helghast side.
Nah, its bare minimum today but in the PS360 era, locked 30 fps was not very common. Most big AAA games dropped frames on a regular basis. KZ2 was one of the better ones when it came to average FPS at the time.

GTA5 came out 4 years later and he drops to 25-26 fps when driving around the city. On both platforms. TLOU had frame drops. Infamous came out around the same time and had frame drops. Halo 3 had frame drops. Nearly every third party game had framerate drops.
killzone 2 actually has a pretty solid 30fps compared to the competition.

Like play medal of honor reboot on 360, or the crysis games. Killzone 2 was waaaay smoother.

Sybrix

Does anyone else have horrific flash backs of 20fps grey games when a PS3 game is mentioned?!

Killzone @ 60fps would be interesting to see if true

CamHostage

Sadly, I've only ever really connected with two games in the Killzone franchise, and neither of them are in this rumored collection...

The Killzone and Resistance franchises always reminded me of one another. Futuristic video games set in murky oppressive shitholes and with generic cardboard cut-out characters.

Business

I'd pay good money for a proper remake of KZ2, or even better a series reboot with the same premise of ISA invading Helghan.

Piggoro

If it were true I'd buy it on day one.
But this art is a poor fake photoshop job. I'm saying it as a professional videogame artist and just as a person who has eyes.

I want this so bad. I love Killzone 2/3 and really enjoyed Shadow Fall even though I know a lot of people didn't. Killzone 2 was one of my favorite PS3 games.
All we need is a resistance collection.........
But we also need this 100%. I never finished Resistance 3 and would love a reason to play through all of them.

junguler

Banned
not something i'm interested in but i hope it sells well and convince them to port their juicy exclusives to pc in the near future, i'm looking at you ghost of tsushima and spider-man.

Yeah, the KZ2 SP just didnt deliver on the original promise. It did not reach the epic highs of Halo 3, and despite the amazing atmosphere, it failed to elicit any kind of awe and spectacle you would expect from a big FPS game trying to compete against Halo 3 and Modern warfare.

Now KZ3 on the other hand is my guilty pleasure. It had fantastic setpieces and some really fun weapons. Yes, the story was awful, but i enjoyed it because i wanted to see it through. It's just a much better campaign than KZ2 imo.
KZ2 SP was legendary. It was much better than the KZ3 SP campaign.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
If they can keep it under lock and key, a remake of 2 would be the biggest announcement since probably LoU2.

Shmunter

A 3 pack I can’t see being anything more than higher rez, framerate and some texture work - probably upscaled by AI. That ain’t good.

KZ2 in particular demands proper attention ala a Blupoint style full on remake.

Please... please please PLEASE.. Have an FOV slider. I'm not playing no FPS, especially one as slow as Killzone with 60/65 FOV. That shit will be extremely jarring to play. Especially for PC folks..

Cryio

I have no nostalgia for Killzone.

I have played Killzone 1 (the PS2 one) this year in 4K30. What an absolutely terrible game. A boring, repetitive, inspired slog. Ugh.

If they would do a PC build (so we could play these games without needing a CPU from the future to emulate them from RPCS3), it would be great for experiencing KZ2 and 3. But I'm not holding my breath.

SkylineRKR

Killzone as a franchise was nothing special. Killzone 2 was really good, its one of the few MP I actually sticked with on PS3. It was an unbalanced mess at times but I always had fun with it. The campaign was enjoyable for its time but its very linear like CoD and all. Dunno how it would hold up today. Killzone 1 was bad. 3 was very mediocre and Shadow Fall was awful.

Shmunter

it still holds up pretty well even after all those years:

I'd obviously prefer a proper remaster, but just a 4K60 and high-res texture pack treatment would do the job, same with KZ3.

Damn, your right. Going to 60, better textures and less aggressive LOD would round it out nicely

Tazzu

Ugh, you will definitely get support for that comment here or on kz forums, but the rest of the shooter world didn't like the horrible input lag. Like 170ms. "The aiming is heavy bro, realistic!" When in reality, it was the rendering choice for graphics over gameplay.
It certainly made you adapt. Rather than cowering behind cover it forced you to move to your enemies. The levels were just big enough to encourage this, a little bit like Halo. Unfortunately 3 had far more linear levels and played more like a traditional shooter.

So why was KZ3 more colorful? War is suddenly more colorful? Just like the input lag, the devs fixed the mistakes. KZ2 wasn't a launch title either. I'm fine with it being linear, but in terms of speaking to what the game is doing technically, that is one aspect because it's not rendering much but outside "hallways."
More colorful? It honestly wasn't really. Outside of the snowy areas, the crab like planet with different flowers and the green petrosite weapons it wasn't that different in terms of color pallet. Now it was definitely brighter than KZ2 for sure. Any color or brightness they added was basically a product of the time it released. As I'm sure you know games just keep getting more and more colorful which I don't see as necessarily a good thing. Most games seems to try and copy Overwatch, Fortnite and Apex now in terms of color scheme.

Romulus

More colorful? It honestly wasn't really. Outside of the snowy areas, the crab like planet with different flowers and the green petrosite weapons it wasn't that different in terms of color pallet. Now it was definitely brighter than KZ2 for sure. Any color or brightness they added was basically a product of the time it released. As I'm sure you know games just keep getting more and more colorful which I don't see as necessarily a good thing. Most games seems to try and copy Overwatch, Fortnite and Apex now in terms of color scheme.

It absolutely was more colorful. That's indisputable. Even in the warzone "grey" areas, that's lots of use of reds and dozens of browns for contrast. The skyboxes have more color too. That's not even counting the areas you're talking about, which really separate it from anything in KZ2, which gives KZ3 instantly more variety in terms of the palette. It's a simply better variety of colors overall. You can have a warzone with a dark color tone and still use color, KZ3 proved that as did Shadowfall. Both were worse games, but it just shows how none of those games got it right. KZ2 was the best game, but with horrible input lag and terrible frame rate.

Romulus

How? I can play Killzone 2 fine even today.

Forums are for opinions, I disagree. The input lag is god awful because they chose to push the ps3 beyond what it could d and it affected ADS and basically anything that involved gameplay. The good thing was, everyone was feeling the same lag in MP, but it sucked.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Absolutely loved SF. Would 100% get.

I liked KZ2 but that input lag was indeed pretty bad.

Never played 1 or 3.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I have no nostalgia for Killzone.

I have played Killzone 1 (the PS2 one) this year in 4K30. What an absolutely terrible game. A boring, repetitive, inspired slog. Ugh.

If they would do a PC build (so we could play these games without needing a CPU from the future to emulate them from RPCS3), it would be great for experiencing KZ2 and 3. But I'm not holding my breath.
You can play KZ 2&3 in RPCS3 @1080p30 on current hardware. Pushing them to 4K will result in pretty low FPS though. I haven't attempted to finish either one, so they might break at some point though.

post-S

Nah can’t agree with this. KZ2 SP has superb level designs. The AI is also outstanding, especially on higher difficulties. It’s one of the few games at the time where increasing difficulty actually change enemy’s behaviour, instead of just increasing their damage and locking their cursor to your head.
KZ3 on the other hand has garbage level design. Those ammo boxes everywhere has ruined everything.

Venza

Banned
Please be true! The only Killzone games i havent played are 1 and 2, not having backwards compatability is sorely missed on Playstation.

Fahdis

Nah can’t agree with this. KZ2 SP has superb level designs. The AI is also outstanding, especially on higher difficulties. It’s one of the few games at the time where increasing difficulty actually change enemy’s behaviour, instead of just increasing their damage and locking their cursor to your head.
KZ3 on the other hand has garbage level design. Those ammo boxes everywhere has ruined everything.

Most people don't know how incredibly advanced the KZ 2 AI is on higher difficulties. It is truly a marvel in itself. Also, there is no holographic pointer on your guns on zoom or a pointer in general ramping up the difficulty. The post processing in the game is brilliant and beautiful, something KZ3 severely lacks. KZ2 is gritty and catches the atmosphere of war amazingly, KZ3 on the otherhand is about vagabonds trying to leave earth while there is a civil war brewing up between the Army and Private sector. 60 guys vs. whole armies... it became into a one man action protag story who commits genocide instead of a story of a soldier trying to leave without reprecussions due to Rico's stupid fucking acts.

Also, we all know the Helghan Empire did nothing wrong. They are just trying to get Vekta back which is rightfully theirs. Lmao, they tried so hard making the Helghans into villains in SF but failed again miserably.

Top Bottom