• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima considering 3DS successor

Dr. Toto's credentials: "CEO of Tokyo-based game industry consultancy http://kantan-games.co.jp. Economics PhD. Ex-慶應義塾大学. 7-lingual."

The fuck are your credentials that give you the balls to say his translations are poor, besides being pro-bono Nintendo PR?

Guy was posting fast on twitter so he can get the first news out. You can have all credentials you want, but he did not chose the best words for the context. Yes, his translation is by all and every means correct, but English is a language in which the word "considering" can mean two vastly different things. There were better words to convey what was actually said in Japanese. Cue the actual Japanese person saying that he did not read it that way and basically saying "let's wait for the full transcript and see"

Edit: I want to add that I'm not saying that he shut down completely the 3DS successor, but he's not confirming that it's in the talks internally or anything like that

Edit2: I also want to add that knowing 7 languages is an incredible feat and I respect the guy immensely for that, but it does confuse your head sometimes.

Because there's nothing inherently different from a Switch Mini to the original Switch if they're going to play the same exact software. If anything, contradicts the whole point of the device. At least with the iPad, iPhone, etc., they all fulfill different needs. Person A could choose the iPhone simply because he/she needs a phone for business/everyday needs, Person B could choose the iPad because he/she needs a tablet for something closer to computer while still be portable enough to take to school. That's why software being shared within the same ecosystem is so important, because Person A and B may fall under differing demographics as far as technology needs are concerned, but they will both have the same access to the software that they are interested in.

Doing multiple form factors under the Switch (at least with the way people currently conceptualize it) doesn't lead to the same result seen with the Apple and Android techs. Primarily because at the end of the day, Nintendo is still developing a video game console, not a bunch of different pieces of technology aimed at having different needs, that was my whole point. Furthermore, You risk fracturing the userbase based on the premise that undermines the marketing that the Switch had, which was to be a machine where you could play console-level games either on the go or at home. So instead of presenting hybrid as an option to people, you split your userbase down to those who are okay with hybrid, those who prefer handheld only, and/or those who prefer home console gaming only. The closest example I can think of is the PS Vita and PSTV where Sony originally started with a handheld and opted to bring a TV version of the Vita, only to pitiful sales. Now you can argue that it's mostly the lukewarm reception of the Vita, but there were a lot of fundamental problems, the most relevant one being that of the things it does, other products do those things better.

I'm having a really hard time following your logic. What exactly is "splitting" the userbase if they all have access to the same software? What's the difference between choosing an iOS device based on usage habits vs choosing a Switch device based on usage habits? How is this anything other than expanding the potential audience of Nintendo hardware and the Switch game library?

jts

...hate me...
Except there's a fundamental difference. You're putting a lot of emphasis on the hardware, when Iwata's words were about how iOS and Android solved the problem of having software droughts because it's easy to work with just one operating system that's used in a plethora of machines, than it is to work with a plethora of operating systems and languages with each individual machine. It's all about efficiency spread out to each hardware.

Furthermore, people like you in this thread have been using the apple example and completely misunderstanding why Apple and Android are so successful with it. Primarily because they can create tons of hardware with differing purposes (Phones, Tablets, iPods, etc) while at the same time making sure that a good amount of software can be shared within the same hardware ecosystem.

So when people bring up Apple's iPad and iPhones, I really have to ask, why do you think the Apple example applies when the Switch mini (assume its either handheld or console form factor), and the current Switch we know fulfill no different needs? They're both designed solely to play video games and don't have niches to the extent that Phones and Tablets have.
Because Iwata mentioned hardware as well and that they will design consoles moving forward with that purpose in mind and that culminated with the "home" console switching (heh) to ARM architecture which will make it without any hint of doubt share architecture with any upcoming Nintendo portable, and that represents a huge paradigm shift towards unified libraries and development? Nintendo has been preparing itself to get comfortable with a slightly less than tailor made optimization approach as well, case in point, mobile development, but it is still pretty easy to have a strong degree of optimization for just 2 different levels of hardware (if they will be any different at all - they won't necessarily be) for which the software will otherwise share all the codebase and whatnot. It's a huge deal.

Though I'm admittedly struggling to see a new "traditional" Nintendo handheld being able to play Switch games without making compromises in size format, game performance, battery life, and pricing; among other factors.

The current Switch uses Maxwell, has a fan in it that takes up space and only turns on in docked mode (I believe), and has detachable controllers with their own batteries.

Assuming a Switch Mini:

- Uses 16nm Pascal (which if I remember correctly is actually cheaper to manufacture than 20nm Maxwell)
- Never has to run at clock speeds higher than those in undocked mode (meaning no fan and purely passive heat dissipation that takes up less space)
- Has integrated, non detachable controls that don't have batteries, bluetooth or motion controls of their own
- Doesn't come with a dock/joycon grip/joycon straps/hdmi
- Comes with only 16GB of storage,

I think it'd be possible to put something out at the N3DS XL's price in a similar/slightly smaller size profile with a similar battery life. Hell the Switch's battery life itself isn't actually that far off from the 3DS's.

- Has integrated, non detachable controls that don't have batteries, bluetooth or motion controls of their own

What about the Switch games that are going to rely on joycon controls? This is what I don't get.

Edit: also, since Switch game packs are read-only, you can't go back and forth between your Switch and your Switch Lite w/o dealing with your microSD card. Not practical at all.

ksamedi

What about the Switch games that are going to rely on joycons control? This is what I don't get.

There is not that many at the moment. I believe only 1 2 switch use them that way, but i think rhey can still keep the detachable controller parts and just make the screen a little smaller. I dont think they need to ditch them just to make it more portable. It seems portable enough.

There is not that many at the moment. I believe only 1 2 switch use them that way, but i think rhey can still keep the detachable controller parts and just make the screen a little smaller. I dont think they need to ditch them just to make it more portable. It seems portable enough.

You mean manufacturing smaller joycons for a handheld only device? That seems so complicated... I really don't buy that.

jts

...hate me...
What about the Switch games that are going to rely on joycon controls? This is what I don't get.

Edit: also, since Switch game packs are read-only, you can't go back and forth between your Switch and your Switch Lite w/o dealing with your microSD card. Not practical at all.
Cloud saves, but I fully expect that people with the Switch won't need the Switch lite and vice-versa. Although I guess there could be a few willing to pay that redundancy premium for minor added convenience.

If they do a true handheld only Switch Mini, the JoyCons will have to be sold separately. The device can't have removable mini cons or anything like that. People would be buying the wrong ones online, and how much smaller can they even get while still being usable sideways?

jts

...hate me...
If they do a true handheld only Switch Mini, the JoyCons will have to be sold separately. The device can't have removable mini cons or anything like that. People would be buying the wrong ones online, and how much smaller can they even get while still being usable sideways?
I don't believe in mini-JoyCons either. I believe in a system with integrated controls, but with which you can use normal JoyCons if you get them separately or a friend has them or whatever. They just don't attach to the system.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Guy was posting fast on twitter so he can get the first news out. You can have all credentials you want, but he did not chose the best words for the context. Yes, his translation is by all and every means correct, but English is a language in which the word "considering" can mean two vastly different things. There were better words to convey what was actually said in Japanese. Cue the actual Japanese person saying that he did not read it that way and basically saying "let's wait for the full transcript and see"

Edit: I want to add that I'm not saying that he shut down completely the 3DS successor, but he's not confirming that it's in the talks internally or anything like that

Edit2: I also want to add that knowing 7 languages is an incredible feat and I respect the guy immensely for that, but it does confuse your head sometimes.

You say "cue the actual Japanese guy" as if that adds credibility to your argument, but the Kyoto Shimbun article that Toto is going off of was also, presumably, written by a Japanese person. Having just read the original article, it's really quite clear.

http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/economy/article/20170201000176

They are looking into/considering a successor to the 3DS as there is a need in the market for a first games device that parents can buy for their kids. With the difference in form factor, weight, and price, this game system can exist alongside the Switch and since there is a market for it, Nintendo will continue to look into making a successor.

These are all quotes from Kimishima. There's nothing vague about it.

Sure, he's not coming out and saying "a 3DS successor is in development," but of course he wouldn't do that at a time he is also committing to supporting the 3DS. It's very clear, though, that they do not currently intend for the Switch to be the only Nintendo device for games.

jts

...hate me...
You say "cue the actual Japanese guy" as if that adds credibility to your argument, but the Kyoto Shimbun article that Toto is going off of was also, presumably, written by a Japanese person. Having just read the original article, it's really quite clear.

They are looking into/considering a successor to the 3DS as there is a need in the market for a first games device that parents can buy for their kids. With the difference in form factor, weight, and price, this game system can exist alongside the Switch and since there is a market for it, Nintendo will continue to look into making a successor.

Sure, he's not coming out and saying "a 3DS successor is in development," but of course he wouldn't do that at a time he is also committing to supporting the 3DS. It's very clear, though, that they do not currently intend for the Switch to be the only Nintendo device for games.
Yeah it would be foolish to neglect the 3DS/2DS hole once they're gone, the Switch doesn't fulfil that role at all.

Also from a business perspective, it's foolish to put all your eggs in one basket. Product portfolio diversification is important.

That is not to say that this 3DS successor will not be a part of the Switch family though, but just another member with more accessible features, from price to size.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

This seems pretty clear and straight forward to me. Combined with Aonuma's answer it's pretty clear that Nintendo strongly considers this as an option.

The only hope in this case is that Switch and the future handheld will share the library, otherwise Switch is just a bit cooler Wii U.

Oregano

This seems pretty clear and straight forward to me. Combined with Aonuma's answer it's pretty clear that Nintendo strongly considers this as an option.

The only hope in this case is that Switch and the future handheld will share the library, otherwise Switch is just a bit cooler Wii U.

Whilst the Switch is obviously cooler than Wii U directly competing with their own system seems to be a recipe for disaster and a surefire way to piss off third parties.

There's a bunch of JP third parties developing portable stuff for Switch right now, if Nintendo drops an entirely different system on them it's just going to burn the only bridge left.

Nintendo are morons.

Any game that supports handheld mode would be functional on this theoretical device. And game boxes are labeled with the supported play styles (for example, 1-2 Switch works in tabletop and docked modes, but not handheld mode).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Whilst the Switch is obviously cooler than Wii U directly competing with their own system seems to be a recipe for disaster and a surefire way to piss off third parties.

There's a bunch of JP third parties developing portable stuff for Switch right now, if Nintendo drops an entirely different system on them it's just going to burn the only bridge left.

Nintendo are morons.

That's why hopefully they share the same library of games.

jts

...hate me...

Nintendo are morons.
There isn’t a single case scenario where having a shared ARM architecture isn’t a huge deal that benefits all Nintendo developers and costumers.

But by all means, that’s the whole point of the Switch. It’s a very smart move. Chill.

Oregano

There isn’t a single case scenario where having a shared ARM architecture isn’t a huge deal that benefits all Nintendo developers and costumers.

But by all means, that’s the whole point of the Switch. It’s a very smart move. Chill.

Those benefit are pretty much moot if the two devices are two totally different ecosystems like Aonuma suggests.

jts

...hate me...
Those benefit are pretty much moot if the two devices are two totally different ecosystems like Aonuma suggests.
No they are not. It completely changes the approach to software development when you don't have to deal with different hardware architectures for the home and portable console, you win time, you win efficiency and proficiency, you win developer flexibility, you win seamless multi-platform titles done in a fraction of the time and cost... just to begin with.

And that's the worst case scenario. Which so far seems to be just unwarranted panic.

Oregano

No they are not. It completely changes the approach to software development when you don’t have to deal with different hardware architectures for the home and portable console, you win time, you win efficiency and proficiency, you win developer flexibility, you win seamless multi-platform titles done in a fraction of the time and cost... just to begin with.

And that’s the worst case scenario. Which so far seems to be just unwarranted panic.

If they genuinely try to sell two different versions of the same games that are pretty much identical then they're quite obviously idiots.

Multiplatform development between a HD handheld and a console-that-can-be-a-HD-handheld is an obviously stupid idea.

It's not like the Wii U was hurt by the 3DS getting pretty much the same games or anything.

Can't believe people are defending this idea.

Rncewind

No they are not. It completely changes the approach to software development when you don’t have to deal with different hardware architectures for the home and portable console, you win time, you win efficiency and proficiency, you win developer flexibility, you win seamless multi-platform titles done in a fraction of the time and cost... just to begin with.

And that’s the worst case scenario. Which so far seems to be just unwarranted panic.

so lets met get this straight here, what nintendos business plan is based you:

The whole selling point of nintendo hardware at this moment is nintendo first party and exclusiv third party games.
We are in a day and age were nintendo promotes you can have a console level graphic device on the go

Now they gonna release 2 system with the same libary?

cant go wrong i guess

LoveCake

Just look at the various versions of the 3DS over the years, I have thought that there could well be a smaller version of the Switch in months/years, I have always said that I consider the Switch to big for a portable hand-held, imo the 3DS-XL is too big, the max size is the Vita for me, I have a original 3DS and I purchased a replacement 3DS at Christmas and I want for the 'new' 3DS (slim/small), Nintendo hasn't made different versions of full/home consoles though.

Iwata also said that the NX/Switch would be part of a family, but it also goes against having all the devs/pubs working on content for just one system instead of two or three.

I wonder if they are planning a 3DS successor as a back-up plan just in-case the Switch, you know, doesn't go well....

Scrawnton

I dont get the kid friendly approach of 3DS vs Switch. In a world where most parents just give there kids an old phone, new phone, or tablet, how is Switch not an acceptable portable?

All of my nieces and nephews have been playing on an iPad (much bigger than a Switch) or a Kindle Fire (roughly same size as Switch) since they were two. There's no way the mass market looks at the Switch and says "no way is that kid friendly."

It's like people on here don't know what kids are doing these days. They LOVE tablets.

jts

...hate me...
If they genuinely try to sell two different versions of the same games that are pretty much identical then they're quite obviously idiots.

Multiplatform development between a HD handheld and a console-that-can-be-a-HD-handheld is an obviously stupid idea.

It's not like the Wii U was hurt by the 3DS getting pretty much the same games or anything.

Can't believe people are defending this idea.
Nice goalpost moving, seems like you don't want to get it, so whatever floats your boat I guess? The point stands though, the advantages of a shared architecture are huge anyway you slice it.
so lets met get this straight here, what nintendos business plan is based you:

The whole selling point of nintendo hardware at this moment is nintendo first party and exclusiv third party games.
We are in a day and age were nintendo promotes you can have a console level graphic device on the go

Now they gonna release 2 system with the same libary?

cant go wrong i guess
Well, technically the 3DS, the 3DS XL and the 2DS are 3 different systems with a shared library. If we add the New versions, that's 5. People seem to deal well with it.

What will be at play with the Switch will not be far from it. You'll have a choice of price entry points and size and possibly minor features. Shared arquitecture, common software development and very likely shared library, within a same family of consoles. Because, I mean, that's how we knew the Switch would be this hybrid in the first place - those were Nintendo's long announced goals and plans. Now, while we're in the pre-Switch launch FUD period we pretend that's actually OUR idea and Nintendo are stupid for not taking it :lol

Oregano

Nice goalpost moving, seems like you don't want to get it, so whatever floats your boat I guess? The point stands though, the advantages of a shared architecture are huge anyway you slice it.
Well, technically the 3DS, the 3DS XL and the 2DS are 3 different systems with a shared library. If we add the New versions, that's 5. People seem to deal well with it.

What will be at play with the Switch will not be far from it. You'll have a choice of price entry points and size and possibly minor features. Shared arquitecture, common software development and very likely shared library. Because, I mean, that's how we knew the Switch would be a this hybrid in the first place - that was Nintendo's long announced goal and plan. Now, while we're in the pre-Switch launch FUD period we pretend that's actually OUR idea and Nintendo are stupid for not taking it :lol

There's no goal post moving that's Aonuma was asked about development being streamline and said dedicated handhelds would still be a thing. He's suggesting it's a different ecosystem.

2DS/3DS/N3DS are all the same ecosystem.

Rncewind

Well, technically the 3DS, the 3DS XL and the 2DS are 3 different systems with a shared library. If we add the New versions, that's 5.

That is some level of reaching that i even rarely experinced at neogaf, and thats saying something

Galava

I can see them releasing a Switch mini around 2019-20. Same specs as 2017 switch but smaller and with undetachable controllers. And 2021-22 release a new and more powerful standard switch.

Vena

There's no goal post moving that's Aonuma was asked about development being streamline and said dedicated handhelds would still be a thing. He's suggesting it's a different ecosystem.

Oh?

How about speeding up development processes? Does the Switch architecture mean you can unify your handheld and console software teams, enabling you to get games out more quickly?

There's an element of that, but it doesn't automatically mean things wil happen more quickly or more easily. Plus, Nintendo 3DS still has plenty of titles in development. The concept of the Switch is that you have a home console that you can take with you on the go, and in that respect it is both home console and handheld, but it doesn't mean for us that the concept of a dedicated handheld will just disappear.

Where? At "concept of a dedicated handheld"? Why would that indicate anything about the ecosystem? The concept of a handheld would be physically distinct from the Switch which is: larger, heavier, and costlier than what one envisions when they think of a pure "handheld" but that has little to do with "ecosystem" and in fact that language doesn't even appear in this quote. Hell, if anything, the opposite appears.

2DS/3DS/N3DS are all the same ecosystem.

But they are also conceptually different pieces of hardware (or outright different hardware in the case of the N3DS), ie. the discussion right above. But the advantage is that they operate off of the same tools and in the same dev environment (though the N3DS is in a separate branch).

All conditions here can be met by a Switch that is completely integrated in control schemes, smaller, and lighter (plausible after a die shrink). It would then occupy the concept of a handheld and occupy the same ecosystem.

But, really, this is pointless, you made up your mind here with this stupid comment (well you made it up long before with an endless stream, really):

Nintendo are morons.

What a dumb and so "definitive" comment over a hypothetical thing that hasn't happened.

What I mean is from a linguistic point of view as a Japanese person is more likely to catch nuances in their own language than any other person. But, again, I'm not saying Toto was wrong, if you read my post I clearly say that there was a poor choice of words and ambiguity, even if they are correct (and again, I'll not put it against Toto which is absolutely qualified, just that Twitter and getting it as fast as possible tend to do that). What Kimishima says is pretty much the standar response we would expect at a point where the Switch isn't even released, much like the DS. But there's a big difference in "considering" as they are actively looking into it and thinking of it as a possibility

I'm having a really hard time following your logic. What exactly is "splitting" the userbase if they all have access to the same software? What's the difference between choosing an iOS device based on usage habits vs choosing a Switch device based on usage habits? How is this anything other than expanding the potential audience of Nintendo hardware and the Switch game library?

Consider the following: you've drummed up all that hype about the Switch as a concept and how you have a hybrid device and people are willing to try both out. Now you introduce handheld and console versions which goes against what Nintendo marketed, and all of a sudden, people start thinking about buying the one that's convenient for their habits instead of going for the hybrid. Maybe fracture isn't the correct word, but you're not going to see consistent growth with all platforms since you now go against your marketing.

I don't see growth potential if you follow through with multiple form factors whose difference is solely how you play the games (handheld vs. console). Especially if you release a console form factor that has to directly compete with PS4 and Xbox One and their possible successors (aka as I mentioned in the other post, the problem of "the things it does, other products do those things better").

People who think Nintendo can pull off the Apple example are missing the point big time in regards to why Apple is so successful vs. Nintendo, who's a gaming company that creates video game consoles. To do the iPad/iPhone>iOS thing, you'd need to be bigger than just a gaming company, and your device has to do more than simply play games. Just being able to play games differently per form factor is not enough.

Because Iwata mentioned hardware as well and that they will design consoles moving forward with that purpose in mind and that culminated with the "home" console switching (heh) to ARM architecture which will make it without any hint of doubt share architecture with any upcoming Nintendo portable, and that represents a huge paradigm shift towards unified libraries and development? Nintendo has been preparing itself to get comfortable with a slightly less than tailor made optimization approach as well, case in point, mobile development, but it is still pretty easy to have a strong degree of optimization for just 2 different levels of hardware (if they will be any different at all - they won't necessarily be) for which the software will otherwise share all the codebase and whatnot. It's a huge deal.

Upcoming portable? Isn't that what the Switch is supposed to be, hence its hybrid purpose? That's why I don't understand the apple example being thrown around. Apple has multiple pieces of tech that is supported by one OS. What does Nintendo have outside of gaming consoles that would support a Nintendo OS/unified ecosystem? Handhelds? Again, that is confusing and not to mention, redundant because of the marketing with Switch suggests that it is a 2-in-1 package. That's my point. iPads+iPods+iPhone operating under one OS makes sense, having multiple consoles where the only difference is how you play it (home vs. handheld), doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Please let this just be PR speak. It takes away the most exciting thing about the switch, bringing home and mobile development together on 1 platform.

odhiex

This is the way to deflating the interest of having a "Unified Nintendo Platform" in the future!?

We'll see.

Someone tell this buffoon that the 3DS had a nice run and it's okay to say things that could potentially cannibalize its sales to benefit the Switch. Their future rests on the Switch, not on the 3DS at this point.

Consider the following: you've drummed up all that hype about the Switch as a concept and how you have a hybrid device and people are willing to try both out. Now you introduce handheld and console versions which goes against what Nintendo marketed, and all of a sudden, people start thinking about buying the one that's convenient for their habits instead of going for the hybrid. Maybe fracture isn't the correct word, but you're not going to see consistent growth with all platforms since you now go against your marketing.

I don't see growth potential if you follow through with multiple form factors whose difference is solely how you play the games (handheld vs. console). Especially if you release a console form factor that has to directly compete with PS4 and Xbox One and their possible successors (aka as I mentioned in the other post, the problem of "the things it does, other products do those things better").

People who think Nintendo can pull off the Apple example are missing the point big time in regards to why Apple is so successful vs. Nintendo, who's a gaming company that creates video game consoles. To do the iPad/iPhone>iOS thing, you'd need to be bigger than just a gaming company, and your device has to do more than simply play games. Just being able to play games differently per form factor is not enough.

Upcoming portable? Isn't that what the Switch is supposed to be, hence its hybrid purpose? That's why I don't understand the apple example being thrown around. Apple has multiple pieces of tech that is supported by one OS. What does Nintendo have outside of gaming consoles that would support a Nintendo OS/unified ecosystem? Handhelds? Again, that is confusing and not to mention, redundant because of the marketing with Switch suggests that it is a 2-in-1 package. That's my point. iPads+iPods+iPhone operating under one OS makes sense, having multiple consoles where the only difference is how you play it (home vs. handheld), doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I don't see them doing a standalone console, simply because it won't do well in Japan and doesn't really offer anything over the current Switch (at least, not with current software). However, a portable-focused Switch would offer a cheaper price point and well, less cumbersome form factor to carry around. It would appeal to the 3DS audience. The idea that this somehow restricts growth is absurd, when it's sticking with only a single hardware option that would restrict growth. There's nothing saying they have to use the same marketing for each device in the family, that would be silly because they'd be targeted to different groups, that's the entire point.

As for the iOS comparison, we're not trying to say Switch is an all-purpose device. Why does it need anything other than gaming? We're talking about a standard platform for games to run on. No need for developers to target multiple platforms just to get their game on each different device. A game is released, cartridges are produced, you can plug them into any device running on the Switch platform and they just work. Or in the case of digital games, depending on how the account system works, you might be able to buy a game and download it to any of your devices. Cloud saves are a possibility too, I'm fairly certain that was mentioned in the past regarding the future of Nintendo platforms.

Any game that supports handheld mode would be functional on this theoretical device. And game boxes are labeled with the supported play styles (for example, 1-2 Switch works in tabletop and docked modes, but not handheld mode).

Well that's something I did not know. Thanks.
Makes the hypothetical handheld-only Switch much more plausible.

Edit: still saved games... I guess switching SD cards.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's probably been mentioned two dozen times throughout the thread, but Iwata did say he didn't know what or how many form factors NX would have. Of course he also said it's not a hybrid in no uncertain terms, and the current Switch is 100% hybrid. Still, it's worth considering Nintendo has already brought up the idea of multiple form factors a long time ago.

Skeletos311

Clarification from Nintendo Everything. http://nintendoeverything.com/clarification-on-3ds-successor-news/

When asked about a next-gen portable, Kimishima starting out by saying that Switch and 3DS can co-exist. After all, the two devices have many differences in terms of elements such as form factor, weight, price, and games. Kimishima believes 3DS can be appealing for parents to purchase as their first gaming system for their children because of those factors. He concluded by saying that there is a different demand and market for 3DS as a portable system from Switch, and for a next handheld, Nintendo will keep considering it as always.

Nintendo’s Shinya Takahashi chimed in as well. About a new portable, he explained that Nintendo is always thinking about its next game device, so the answer is “We are always thinking about it” rather than there is or there isn’t a 3DS successor.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, that Kyoto Shimbun article is definitely skewing things in their article, assuming that Nintendo didn't "clean up" the language in the transcript, which is also a strong possibility.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

No, it is not what the Switch is trying to it. It is trying to be a home console that you can take out some times. But I dont think it is something if you predominately use it outdoor and bring out very frequently.

Apple has several versions of Ipad and Iphone. You have the normal sized iphone, and the larger iphone plus. You have the ipad mini, the normal ipad and the much larger ipad pro. A hypothetical Switch mini will be essentially the same thing.

Errrm... No, a 3DS successor wouldn't be unreasonable, at all, and it wouldn't show a lack of confidence in the Switch. I would go further, and suggest that it should happen.

The Switch has reformed Wii Remotes in the detachable Joy-Con. That's important to preserving the Wii legacy, and making that library accessible in future (over 1500 games), whether it's with VC or HD remasters. It's been advertised as a home console, and you've been told as much from the horse's mouth, but some of you have been telling yourselves it's a handheld to make yourselves feel better about specs you don't even know, if not to lowball something that's more capable than you think. It's portable, but it's still a home console at heart. I've used the expression "laptop console" compared to the X4's "desktop consoles", and perhaps that is the most accurate description, because you can have the console experience without being shackled to a TV screen and four walls. You can see examples of that in the Switch reveal clip.

At the same time, the DS is their best-selling platform, while the 3DS passed the PS2 total sales in Japan recently, and saw an upturn in hardware sales - It's not a stretch to believe that a dual-screen successor will exist in their future, or that the (3)DS legacy will be preserved, too. That's a combined library of about 3000 games. It could build on the Switch concept - perhaps a dual screen device with 360-degree hinges for separate screen tabletop multiplayer. You could add the Wii U library to that, too. For a site that claims to know so much, it's quite amusing to see how many people would believe that they're done with the ideas behind their most successful products.

It would be a smart decision to retain those gaming concepts. The over-reactions in this thread are a result of people falling into the trap of presuming that a 3DS successor would mean a separate library, when it would most likely mean a shared gaming library across a range of home and portable products (similar to what Apple has with the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch), or a lower point of entry, or improved battery life - the trade-off would be that a Dual-Switch would play their games in portable mode alone. It's not so hard to imagine the possibilities, and perhaps it would be consistent with the vision that Iwata presented before his death.

Personally, the extra touch(heh) some games get out of having two screens -- Etrian Odyssey, for instance -- makes it nice to have two screens. Eventually, it didn't feel like a gimmick. I play my Vita and wish I had two screens on that, too! Sure, the battery life would only be 2 hours but it'd be worth it to have my lesbian panty sniffing catgirl maid helping me draw a map on Mostly Generic Experience DRPG #63762.

Errrm... No, a 3DS successor wouldn't be unreasonable, at all, and it wouldn't show a lack of confidence in the Switch. I would go further, and suggest that it should happen.

The Switch has reformed Wii Remotes in the detachable Joy-Con. That's important to preserving the Wii legacy, and making that library accessible in future (over 1500 games), whether it's with VC or HD remasters. It's been advertised as a home console, and you've been told as much from the horse's mouth, but some of you have been telling yourselves it's a handheld to make yourselves feel better about specs you don't even know, if not to lowball something that's more capable than you think. It's portable, but it's still a home console at heart. I've used the expression "laptop console" compared to the X4's "desktop consoles", and perhaps that is the most accurate description, because you can have the console experience without being shackled to a TV screen and four walls. You can see examples of that in the Switch reveal clip.

At the same time, the DS is their best-selling platform, while the 3DS passed the PS2 total sales in Japan recently, and saw an upturn in hardware sales - It's not a stretch to believe that a dual-screen successor will exist in their future, or that the (3)DS legacy will be preserved, too. That's a combined library of about 3000 games. It could build on the Switch concept - perhaps a dual screen device with 360-degree hinges for separate screen tabletop multiplayer. You could add the Wii U library to that, too. For a site that claims to know so much, it's quite amusing to see how many people would believe that they're done with the ideas behind their most successful products.

It would be a smart decision to retain those gaming concepts. The over-reactions in this thread are a result of people falling into the trap of presuming that a 3DS successor would mean a separate library, when it would most likely mean a shared gaming library across a range of home and portable products (similar to what Apple has with the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch), or a lower point of entry, or improved battery life - the trade-off would be that a Dual-Switch would play their games in portable mode alone. It's not so hard to imagine the possibilities, and perhaps it would be consistent with the vision that Iwata presented before his death.
i think there is a need to clearly define what 3ds successor means.

its unlikely for them to make a seperate platform but a revision that focuses on portability is definately possible

Top Bottom