• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima considering 3DS successor

Skeletos311

Update - Clarification from Nintendo Everything. http://nintendoeverything.com/clarification-on-3ds-successor-news/

When asked about a next-gen portable, Kimishima starting out by saying that Switch and 3DS can co-exist. After all, the two devices have many differences in terms of elements such as form factor, weight, price, and games. Kimishima believes 3DS can be appealing for parents to purchase as their first gaming system for their children because of those factors. He concluded by saying that there is a different demand and market for 3DS as a portable system from Switch, and for a next handheld, Nintendo will keep considering it as always.

Nintendo's Shinya Takahashi chimed in as well. About a new portable, he explained that Nintendo is always thinking about its next game device, so the answer is ”We are always thinking about it" rather than there is or there isn't a 3DS successor.

Original Japanese report - http://www.kyoto-np.co.jp/economy/article/20170201000176

Japanese Q&A transcript - https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170203.pdf

Serkan Toto's Tweets - https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/826993607525609472

1) Sorry for the Nintendo tweet storms, but here is one more news item. Thanks to @gypsyOtoko for alerting me to a Kyoto Shinbun article.

2) In it, Nintendo president Kimishima is quoted as saying he considers a 3DS successor because he sees a need and market for it.

3) He doesn't give more details, but he seems to actually mean an entirely new machine , not a 3DS update or refresh. /end

Takashi Mochizuki's take - https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/826995141843914753

really? i didn't take it so. 3DS successor, VR, and new mobile partner..everything just say chance is open, which always is on anything.

@serkantoto based on context, my understanding is 3DS will run along with Switch for now. What would come afterward open possibility.

@mochi_wsj @serkantoto you'll get full transcript of the meeting from Nintendo soon, so you can make your own judgement.

If he's being serious, that may be enough of a reason for me to halt buying a Switch until I see just what the fuck Kimishima's thinking.

Sure, if the Switch fails it's pretty much guaranteed to happen. Otherwise, not fully focusing on the Switch is a mistake, I think.

I could see them doing a smaller piece of hardware based on the Switch. Essentially the same machine but more portable and without the ability to dock. Runs the same games. This could be an option.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are people actually surprised at this? I mean, it's disappointing, but the Switch effectively prices Nintendo out of a lot of markets if they go Switch only. They need a budget solution for their brand.

It might (probably?) be a stripped down Switch though,

That'd be so disappointing. I thought the whole point of Switch was so they would no longer have to split their efforts between a handheld and home console.

Do the obvious Switch model with a smaller screen and no detachable controllers if you want a cheaper handheld for kids or whatever.

Skeletos311

I doubt they would make a different platform from Switch. They already have most of the work for a new handheld done with the switch. They just need to make it cheaper and smaller. The need for a cheaper machine for kids seems to be the main reason for keeping the 3DS around.

lenovox1

I could see them doing a smaller piece of hardware based on the Switch. Essentially the same machine but more portable and without the ability to dock. Runs the same games. This could be an option.

Well, yeah, that's absolutely going to happen within two years.

Neoxon

If it's just a Switch Mini, that's fine. But doing an entirely new handheld platform would be to the detriment of the Switch.

Of course, leave the option open in case the Switch bombs.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't get the skepticism. They're presumably going to release a smaller Switch at some point.

Yup, common sense.

Likely will be ready for Holiday 2018. Need that 200 dollar price point for IPs like Animal Crossing and mainline Pokemon titles.

As a portable gamer, all Nintendo games will be portable so I am a-ok with this but its really stupid if they actually do that and not have it all be on Switch. FE being announced for it makes it seem like it will all be on Switch but who knows. Gotta wait for that Pokemon confirmation to be sure but I expect the next Pokemon game to be on 3DS regardless despite rumors so it'll be awhile. I do hope they go all in on NS instead of splitting dev resources more.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And the DS wasn't supposed to replace the GBA.

They could just release a Switch without the dock for cheaper if they really wanted to.

It already uses handheld hardware. If you put that in a smaller box with no dock or any other such thing, that's very explicitly a handheld.

Yes it is; I wasn't debating the handheld moniker, but whether that qualifies as a "3DS successor." Though if that is what he means, it would make a lot more sense

Regardless, the quote seems to be in question anyway

Ogodei

This would make no sense whatsoever, unless it was an underclocked (even from regular undocked mode, so under-underclocked) version of Switch.

Welfare

Introducing... Switch Lite!

Smaller, more colors, no dock/mobile only, $199.

They won't make a new brand/machine.

Iwata said the same thing at a shareholder meeting 3 years ago. NX would be a "family of systems" with different form factors and unifying OS like Apple products. There's no reason to believe that the road map for the Switch has changed significantly in that time. A 3DS successor would simply be a smaller Switch. Probably release when the tech has matured enough to fit into a smaller box at a lower production cost.

Duxxy3

I think a combination of switch and 3ds would be interesting. I seem to be the only one though.

wiibomb

I don't get the skepticism. They're presumably going to release a smaller Switch at some point.

Given that... May be a smaller switch and then call it a day...

Kind of weird becase he seem to sound like a different machine altogether...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This would make no sense whatsoever, unless it was an underclocked (even from regular undocked mode, so under-underclocked) version of Switch.
You can just wait a year or two and shrink the die and screen size if you need battery life.

crinale

He explicitly said 3DS and Switch have different price and weight.
I'm sure Switch Lite is already planned (not sure about it will come with detachable Joy-cons though).

Edit: I read Japanese article again and it may be real 3DS successor. If so it should have 3DS compatibility.
I still think even in such case the thing will have Switch compatibility too.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Iwata said that the nx would be a family of consoles that share similar architectures. I could see a permenant portable switch with better battery life but, I don't think it would make sense to make another console in the ds family.

Calm Mind

For a supposed forum of well informed gamers, you would think this place would be a bastion of rationale but nope.

Tagyhag

A portable only Switch is completely understandable, and it's something that I'm pretty sure will come eventually.

But if they're talking about a brand new system with a different OS and different games? Fuck no.

Hydrus

Serious question: Why is Kimishima still president? I thought it was only a temporary thing. Nintendo badly needs some young leadership that actually knows how modern times work.

Top Bottom