• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima considering 3DS successor

Roo

Of course only Nintendo would drop a bomb like this when their brand new hybrid system is a month away from release...

I see two scenarios for a 3DS successor:

1. Switch Mini. Smaller form factor that plays all Switch software.

2. An incredibly inexpensive, low-spec device ($99-$149) that technically has its own library of portable-foucsed software. However, these games are also Switch compatible (though games created specifically for Switch won't play on this device). Marketed primarily to children.

I definitely think option 1 is the likely scenario, as I think option 2 would confuse consumers.

ggx2ac

Also I don't believe that a switch "lite" is the best choice. If they shrink the internals I think they should increase the battery size

Edit: unless shrinking the internals leads to less power usage.

It does, the only reason it didn't happen for New 3DS was that the CPU got upclocked and got more cores and, added more RAM so it just ended up only having a slightly better battery life.

Cerium

I really don't think this is the plan at all. Nintendo's messaging on the Switch has been it's a party you can take anywhere. They could not downplay the traditional handheld aspect more. Plus with how the controllers work, the battery life, the software lineup... it's just not a handheld.

The battery life is the same as the 3DS and Vita. Were those not handhelds?

Shaanyboi

Banned
If it's just an even smaller Switch, go nuts. But they absolutely should not be pursuing hardware avenues that would result in splitting their focus. That was the whole point of the Switch - centralize all their talent on a single platform with acouple small mobile games a year.

Maxinas

If its really a mistranslation someone needs to talk, because people are already jumping to conclusions as always.

Gvitor

This is a very logical assumption. No matter how much you market it, there is still going to be a somewhat sizeable public that 1)don't get the message that the switch is supposed to be a combination of software teams and/or 2)don't care about the home console functionalities and are first and foremost players that only play on portable systems. And a $300 machine, even if you can take it on the go, is too much.

Plus, 3DS still has software in 2017 (and some more to be announced, supposedly), and it already has a large install base, whereas the Switch has 0. They can't come and say "hey, we're moving everything to the Switch." Saying this can boost sales, but if it doesn't, and the Switch bombs or its success isn't as expected (disregard Kimishima's wild expectations of Wii-levels sales), they have the 3DS to lean on.

A year from now, if the Switch does decently or better, I can see they officialy discontinuing the 3DS and announcing a cheaper Switch without the Dock and with some cheaper parts, and advertising it as the 3DS' successor.

lenovox1

2 years from now Transition the Switch into a Cheap handheld aimed at kids while they launch a new Switch 2.0 based on Xavier Tegra. Would basically be exactly what he is arguing right now with the 3DS. Its a low price entry for kids while Switch is aimed at a higher audience.

I'd expect the "Switch Pro" to come out after the "Switch Mini." Basically following their traditional handheld timeline of releasing a newer, faster model around 3 years after the release of the original one.

It would be timed in line with the release of Microsoft and Sony's next generation machines.

I don't see why not? Have they ever said that they will never support more than one system per generation? They unified their development teams, but they didn't say that they will only have one device for everything. I could see this as a separate handheld, low price, has its own library of games, maybe playable on the Switch as well. Teams are unified, it's not a 3DS and Wii U situation since the assumed 4DS will probably have an architecture similar to the Switch. It won't be the same as this generation where they struggled hopping between one system and the other.

Why are people freaking out?

MaxDOL

I want Switch mini handheld only with 480P screen plus cheaper price point.

I will not use the dock even though i will mainly play the thing at my home.

The current Swtich is too expensive both hardware and software.

Gsnap

Stop. Unless it's gonna be a more portable/cheaper part of the switch family, still playing all the same games.

Gimme my unified software future, Nintendo.

Terrell

Also I don't believe that a switch "lite" is the best choice. If they shrink the internals I think they should increase the battery size

Edit: unless shrinking the internals leads to less power usage.

That's exactly it. A handheld-only Switch would arrive when the CPU and GPU can be made with smaller transistors, thus becoming more energy efficient overall. The chips in Switch are supposedly 16nm FinFET currently. 10nm chips will start becoming a thing later this year and start becoming cost-efficient next year, which is likely when you'd see such a handheld-only Switch device anyways at the earliest.

VR talk was brought up with Switch though.

That was the point. An executive says something along the lines of "of course we are thinking about _______ and are always keeping an eye on it to see how it could benefit our players" and people on here take that as some sort of confirmation and start running wild with speculation. It's a bit silly to see how quickly people lose any sort of perspective....

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
"considering" he'd be stupid not too! What if the switch bombs? It'd be better to start working on a 3DS succesor instead of waiting to see how the switch does that way they can get it out quicker.

If the switch is a hit then they just scrap the 3DS succesor and focus on Switch. Makes sense.

Or they could release a cheaper switch. No dock or detachable joycons. Same screen/battery size.

Atomski

I don't get the skepticism. They're presumably going to release a smaller Switch at some point.

but I want a bigger Switch.. :(

Anyways my thing here is I am just tired of the games being split. I want all my Nintendo games on one device.

I want Switch mini handheld only with 480P screen with cheaper price point.

I will not use the dock even though i will mainly play the thing at my home.

The current Swtich is too expensive both hardware and software.

I don't think a 480p screen would considerably reduce the price, they should stick with 720p.

But removing the dock, joy-cons, joy-con straps, and internal fan (along with a move to a smaller node size) could help, as well as improve the battery life.

Switch game boxes tell whether games can be played in handheld, tabletop, or docked mode, so I suppose this theoretical system could play just the handheld-supported games. No 1-2 Switch or Just Dance, but those wouldn't be the focus of a handheld-only SKU anyway.

Edit: I suppose if they really wanted to they could also remove the USB-C functionality aside from charging, and Bluetooth. Unless they still want to support connecting other Switch controllers to it.

Nanashrew

Banned
That was the point. An executive says something along the lines of "of course we are thinking about _______ and are always keeping an eye on it to see how it could benefit our players" and people on here take that as some sort of confirmation and start running wild with speculation. It's a bit silly to see how quickly people lose any sort of perspective....

Ohh! Yeah, I understand now.

Gutss

Transform it to a three screen handheld when attach to the switch, make it happen kimishima, switch final form is hype!

Air

Banned
Yeah. It'll be a mini switch. But since it's Nintendo it's going to need some innovative thing to go along with it

jluedtke

You know what I'd go for? A Game Boy Micro-like device. Just a really small, simple handheld for a rock-bottom price.

Switch-micro!

jax

Banned
Sure, and there was going to be a new Gameboy after the DS launched. Hedge your bets.

500px-Game-Boy-Micro.jpg

Honestly though, a New 3DS sized foldable device with XL sized screens and DS/3DS BC would be A-OK with me.

Call it the 3DS U

Well Nvidia said they expect to work with Nintendo for two decades or something like that, so whether it's a Switch mini or something else entirely I expect compatibility due to a common architecture

Astral Dog

Ok . This new 4DS will be compatible with SWITCH games,and then SWITCH 2 will be compatible with 4DS until 5DS comes along

dickroach

just make a switch portable.make it the same screen size at the vita. stop dividing your developers' game outputs for fucks sake

Astral Dog

It would likely be running the same stuff Switch has and likely play the same games but at an even lower resolution for better battery life for longer travels. You'd get Zelda Breath of the Wild at 540p and no joycons or anything that could sap the battery dry.
This but with the same resolution

VariantX

the last thing Nintendo needs is to divide resources and energy between multiple platforms, especially now that they've taken on mobile development. This is a stupid thing to say when people need to feel confident about the frequency of software support for their next platform considering the 3DS took forever to build momentum and the Wii U never really solved that problem at all. I only hope thats just talk for investors. The best chance the Switch has to succeed is to have software titles coming in at regular intervals.

Top Bottom