• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima considering 3DS successor

Nobody said it would have a different software library, and in fact that would go against all of Nintendo's statements for the past few years.

He didn't explicitly say that, but if it's a 3DS successor then a separate software library is implicit. Because anything that would replace the 3DS as a true throw-it-in-your-backpack portable will be more performance-constrained than the Switch in order to maintain battery life. So either devs will be expected to significantly downgrade Switch titles somehow, or they'll be creating separate content. The latter seems more reasonable.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The dock is such a simple device that removing the hybrid functionality from Switch would be dumb. Also the joycons have insane margins so Nintendo wants to sell them throughout the Switch lifetime.

Would they stop manufacturing the hybrid or something if they bring out a different form factor? Nintendo would want to sell more hardware all around, having all the Switch games with a portable mode configuration available for a handheld successor wouldn't stop that. The only way I see Nintendo doing a new handheld with a separate library going forward is if Switch completely underperforms.

Just based on the article, Serkan Toto's translation is accurate. Kimishima was asked whether the Switch wouldn't render a successor to the 3DS meaningless, and he responded saying that the Switch would be bigger, heavier, and pricier than a theoretical 3DS successor, and they will keep considering it since there is a market base for it.

That makes complete sense, since there's nothing about that comment that even commits to a separate handheld, muchless one with a different library of games.

shounenka

Is there any transcript of the original Japanese? Should be something we can figure out.

If he really did say that a successor is being worked on that feels like a misstep that will leave consumers confused. Heck, I'm confused.

Right now it's one respected man who can speak Japanese vs. another respected man who is Japanese. Both, do this for a living, so I doubt anyone is trying to mislead. I think we need more information before we all panic.

I have no doubt that the "respected man who can speak Japanese" is respected for a reason, but in this case, the "respected man who is Japanese" is the one who is correct. The original Japanese article is on the first page of this thread. A closer translation of the original text was provided halfway though.

The whole comment on the "successor" was a throwaway line by Kimishima about how Nintendo continues to look at the possibility of a 3DS successor unit given that at least tentatively, they expect the 3DS market to coexist alongside the Switch and that within that market, there is demand for an update to the platform.

Vinnk

Just based on the article, Serkan Toto's translation is accurate. Kimishima was asked whether the Switch wouldn't render a successor to the 3DS meaningless, and he responded saying that the Switch would be bigger, heavier, and pricier than a theoretical 3DS successor, and they will keep considering it since there is a market base for it.

Well, that sounds totally reasonable. And also totally non-commital.

I have no doubt that the "respected man who can speak Japanese" is respected for a reason, but in this case, the "respected man who is Japanese" is the one who is correct. The original Japanese article is on the first page of this thread. A closer translation of the original text was provided halfway though.

The whole comment on the "successor" was a throwaway line about how Nintendo continues to look at the possibility of a 3DS successor unit given that at least tentatively, they expect the 3DS market to coexist alongside the Switch and that within that market, there is demand for an update to the platform.

Yeah, it seems that there have been some over-reactions.

AgeEighty

The dock is such a simple device that removing the hybrid functionality from Switch would be dumb. Also the joycons have insane margins so Nintendo wants to sell them throughout the Switch lifetime.

No one is saying an all-portable Switch would replace the hybrid model, only supplement it. So there'd be no threat to Joy-Con sales, and they wouldn't be "removing" the hybrid functionality. And simple though the dock may be, it's also a built-in cost that people who want to play all-portable may not want.

Triteon

Introducing... Switch Lite!

Smaller, more colors, no dock/mobile only, $199.

They won't make a new brand/machine.

At this point they really need to clarify if the switch platform will be their only platform going forward. I dont care if there are different form factors i want to know that games on the next DS system will work on switch.

I preordered the switch on the basis that would be both the 3ds sucessor and the Wii u successor.

I was far more interested in at as a 3ds successor with its quirky games and decent jrpg selection that i could hook to my tv than yet another mario kart/zelda tv box.

Its like nintendo are going out of their way to sow confusion right now. Its a month to launch they need to get it together.

He didn't explicitly say that, but if it's a 3DS successor then a separate software library is implicit. Because anything that would replace the 3DS as a true throw-it-in-your-backpack portable will be more performance-constrained than the Switch in order to maintain battery life. So either devs will be expected to significantly downgrade Switch titles somehow, or they'll be creating separate content. The latter seems more reasonable.

If they continue supporting the 3DS for a while like they've said, by that point they very well may be able to put the Switch Tegra on a smaller node, which would greatly improve power usage and decrease heat output, also allowing them to remove the internal fan. I can see it happening in 2-3 years.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nintendo's message is all over the place.

Why do they do this? Why? You can say that you will still support 3ds for a couple more years and stop at that. You don't need to say that Switch won't replace 3ds or that there is a replacement for 3ds on its way.

What are they trying to achieve by all these messages that in the end mean "We will launch another handheld soon, so you might as well wait a bit before buying a Switch"??

Also, will Switch get all Nintendo's game during its lifetime or not? That's quite important.

I think the problem here, and a problem with a lot of Japanese-English misunderstandings, is the poor choice of words. Kimishima "considering a 3DS successor because there's a need and a market" is different from he stating that the Switch wouldn't necessarely overlap a "4DS". The first words imply action and commitement, while your version is more akin to a possibility. This is exactly the same problem with the Wii quote honestly, fast news tend to do that. I know it's his breadmaker but it doesn't help anyone that doesn't speak the language, as seen on this thread.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Oh boy.. this is just enough to reconsider a switch as I'm mobile only with Nintendo these days.

What the fuck are they thinking

Some people should definitely not read these shareholder's meetings because people sure like to confuse it with your regular PR and message to the consumers.

Malakai

During the conception of the DS, a good chuck of Nintendo employees were against the idea of a dual screen system. They though the idea was stupid. That is why it was described as third pillar of sorts.

Looks like Twitter character limits are also killing these translations, because the expanded version you gave is much more insightful. It makes it more clear that he's simply considering something that would be in the price and size range of the 3DS market base. Because the Switch isn't, and Nintendo wants to tap as many markets as possible.

Nowhere does it imply that any such "successor" would be in the DS line of devices.

spekkeh

Banned
Some people should definitely not read these shareholder's meetings because people sure like to confuse it with your regular PR and message to the consumers.
People are so entrenched in console wars that when a shareholder asks a company president what procedures they have in place to ensure sustainability of the company, that CEO would jump on the table, shout NONE, LOL YOLO. And rush forward to drop his pants and slap his dick in the shareholder's face.

I think this is a somewhat unrealistic image of corporate structures.

jdstorm

Banned
Its just marketing talk for Nintendo to hedge their bets incase the Switch Fails.

I fully expect a VR Capable 4DS to launch if the Switch fails

Vinnk

Oh boy.. this is just enough to reconsider a switch as I'm mobile only with Nintendo these days.

Don't worry. It sounds more like a contingency plan than and actual announcement of a successor. I wouldn't read that much into it unless further announcements in that direction are made.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo's message is all over the place.

Why do they do this? Why? You can say that you will still support 3ds for a couple more years and stop at that. You don't need to say that Switch won't replace 3ds or that there is a replacement for 3ds on its way.

What are they trying to achieve by all these messages that in the end mean "We will launch another handheld soon, so you might as well wait a bit before buying a Switch"??

Also, will Switch get all Nintendo's game during its lifetime or not? That's quite important.

its not Nintendo fault that you confuse yourself with the denial of some facts. Switch is a home console

True Fire

The salt in this thread is amazing.

It's Nintendo, what did you expect? They're probably going to release a 640p Switch Mini without a dock or removable controllers. A cool counterpart would be a non-portable Switch Pro, but that would never happen.

The "3DS Successor" will probably just be a Switch that comes without a dock, has a smaller screen and the joycons built in. It'll play the same games and probably even still be usable in a Switch dock, or if its smaller size is an issue they can just release a smaller dock made for it that you can buy separate.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
1. third pillar talk in the old old DS days
2. Switch lite, christmas 2018. 5inch screen, overall smaller, no dock. for a 199 price point (my expectation)

but a 3DS 2.0? I just can't see that happening.

1. third pillar talk in the old old DS days
2. Switch lite, christmas 2018. 5inch screen, overall smaller, no dock. for a 199 price point (my expectation)

but a 3DS 2.0? I just can't see that happening.

It it comes late 2018 they could probably sell it for 179 and still make a nice profit, especially if they cut things like HD rumble and the IR camera.

Vinnk

It it comes late 2018 they could probably sell it for 179 and still make a nice profit, especially if they cut things like HD rumble and the IR camera.

I don't know if splitting the user base is a good move. Getting rid of 3D on the 2DS was ok because it rendered zero games unplayable. The DSi made games that required the GBA expansion port unusable but it effected such a small number of games there was little backlash.

This move would confuse customers so much. "Which games work of the lite and which don't?"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I don't get the skepticism. They're presumably going to release a smaller Switch at some point.

Would that mini console lose the ability to output at 1080p on the TV? Would it still be able to be treated as essentially the same HW for dev purposes? Why constrain the NX for portable use if it was not meant to be their ultimate unified hybrid device?

I want to see a little bigger version of the New 3DS XL with more enhanced features and a little more power. With a good price on it and I'll be happy with that.

daxgame

Ultimately, it's all about reaching all the markets Nintendo needs. Switch probably can't do that alone. Observe the latest financials, in particular the 3DS sales in Europe.
The cheaper models have a lot of share - it's no news, it's always been that way. There needs to be an hardware that's <$200 to reach those consumers. It's probably families which want a gift for elementary\middle school kids for the most part.
It seems that Kimishima hinted at this, not just in this statement but in the financials too. I expect it to be in the same Switch ecosystem anyway.

Would that mini console lose the ability to output at 1080p on the TV? Would it still be able to be treated as essentially the same HW for dev purposes? Why constrain the NX for portable use if it was not meant to be their ultimate unified hybrid device?

1) probably
2) probably
3) because there is no "ultimate unified hybrid device". The Switch is a home console and it's reflected on the price. Sure, you can take it with you, that's the selling point. That doesn't mean it will be bought by the 3DS userbase who is used to spend <199$ on hardware.

Kimishima and Nintendo repeatedly talked about Switch not being a 3ds successor. This answer does not exist in isolation.

Indeed and they also said that the 3DS is not dying right now so it can be related to this fact.

The actual truth is that they're just not closing any doors for themselves making losing statements like "The Switch will completely replace both the Wii U and 3DS family" since that sounds horrible for shareholders, unless the Switch does really really well. They also really want to bury the Wii U

sneas78

Banned
What baffles me about all of this is. Back in the day, say 1992 or just in the 90's ... we just go a console and it was what it was we either liked it or not.. but now a days we have F & reveals about it like we did for the switch they tell us about it and we talk about it on this very forum and now I still don't know what F & thing this is .. is it replacing the wiiu is it replacing the 3ds because it's a handheld.. I have no damn clue. And now their saying a 3ds successor is coming .. WTF .. where the heck is the message for this damn thing.

It'll just be the 2DS version of the Switch. The market he's talking about is parents who want to buy a cheap handheld for their kids to play Pokemon etc. on, which the dockable Switch doesn't cater to at all.

I am all the fuck over that when it happens. No way I'm shelling out $1200 for hardware so my family can play Pokemon together.

120v

overreact much?

investors only care about hard, actual numbers. right now 3DS is the only provable breadwinner for nintendo. will Switch+mobile eventually fill that gap? most likely yes but you aren't just going to handwave a system with an 60 mil install base. what do you expect to tell these people "yeah we'll phase the thing out but we've got this completely unproven commodity on the way, and maybe we can revise this possible dud as a dedicated handheld..." ect

sure, mention of a 3DS successor isn't something to gloss over but it could mean a number of things, a GB micro type of revision, switch mini like mentioned ad nauseum ect. all in all it's a bunch of vague maybes

Oregano

You can give up any hope of Switch hitting Wii levels if you pull this shit.
It will never hit Wii levels anyway

ynwzh

Neo Member
Maybe he is not sure about Switch's success, and if it goes like Wii, It'll become 3DS's successor too

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it'd potentially fragment the software lineup as some games like 1-2-switch might need the separated joycons, which they might dispense of in a handheld focused device. If that happens, and if the handheld sells well becuase it'll likely be cheaper than the more elaborate full switch, then doesn't that risk several of the switch features being less supported in games?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Indeed and they also said that the 3DS is not dying right now so it can be related to this fact.

The actual truth is that they're just not closing any doors for themselves making losing statements like "The Switch will completely replace both the Wii U and 3DS family" since that sounds horrible for shareholders, unless the Switch does really really well. They also really want to bury the Wii U

I fully understand why they are saying these things, I don't understand why the message is conveyed in this way. Instead of "Switch is not the successor of 3ds" combined with "We are considering a successor for 3ds" which might suggest there will be another device in parallel with Switch they could have just kept the message to "Currently we see that there is still a strong demand for 3ds so we will continue supporting in parallel with Switch" and stop at that. Even saying something like "We think Switch can be an interesting proposition for a lot of our 3ds customers" wouldn't have hurt the 3ds in any way while keeping the Switch message clear.

Wasn't the point of the Switch that they can have all their dev teams focus on one console??

This seems like a 'Third PIllar' type comment where he's not confident or just playing safe, much like they did back when the DS launched and they said the Gam Boy line will continue. Once the DS killed it, there was no need for a GB.

If Switch is successful, there's no reason for a new handheld. I think they should still do the R&D regardless, but this seems like an excuse to eventually announce a new DS3 should thw Sw bomb.

I say, we seee the successor only if they 'need' it.

Top Bottom