• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima considering 3DS successor

Just based on the article, Serkan Toto's translation is accurate. Kimishima was asked whether the Switch wouldn't render a successor to the 3DS meaningless, and he responded saying that the Switch would be bigger, heavier, and pricier than a theoretical 3DS successor, and they will keep considering it since there is a market base for it.

What certain take away from that statement is

- Nintendo keeps the door open for another dedicated handheld.

- They are not committed to make the Switch their only flagship hardware in the market. At least not yet.

What it means is anything can change drastically depending on success of the Switch. If it bombs, the next handheld will come. If it hits the 3DS or the Wii level, this is the only hardware moving forward.

kitsuneyo

It's all about architecture. Whatever might succeed 3DS will be compatible with Switch. That's what Iwata said, and they'd be insane not to make it that way.

Skeletos311

Nintendo has been planning the idea for Switch and the unified development for a long time. I'm talking like, 2012 or earlier. I have no reason to believe that Nintendo will make a new handheld that does not play Switch games. They've been working towards this Switch idea for too long to just change it now right when it's coming out. I don't think this is an "If Switch fails, then they'll release this other thing." scenario. I think they always planned to release multiple versions of the Switch to cater to all their customers.

Here's an article from when Nintendo announced they were merging their console and handheld hardware teams from January 2013. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...handheld-and-console-divisions-on-february-16

Nintendo is to amalgamate its console and handheld hardware divisions in a brand-new Kyoto facility on February 16, 2013, the manufacturer has confirmed to GamesIndustry International.

The company hopes that, by housing the two arms of the business together in the new ¥30 billion ($340m apprx) offices, they will be able to share technological research and breakthroughs more efficiently, as well as perhaps working on further integrating the 3DS and Wii U.

Here's Miyamoto talking to Kotaku about a unified development environment in June 2014. It's not something Nintendo fanboys made up. http://kotaku.com/miyamoto-can-imag..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

What I can say is, certainly, within Nintendo the fact that our development environment for our home console is different from the development environment for our portable system is certainly an area of stress or challenge for the development teams. So as we move forward, we're going to look at what we can do to unify the two development environments.

So, particularly with digital downloads now and the idea that you're downloading the right to play a game, that opens up the ability to have multiple platform digital downloads where you can download on one and download on another. Certainly from a development standpoint there is some challenge to it, because if you have two devices that have different specs and you're being told to design in a way that the game runs on both devices, then that can be challenging for the developer—but if you have a more unified development environment and you're able to make one game that runs on both systems instead of having to make a game for each system, that's an area of opportunity for us.

Iwata talking about how Nintendo systems should have a common platform during a Q&A in May 2014. https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Q 5

You have explained your concern about users being divided by hardware. Currently, you have both a handheld device business and a home console business. I would like to know whether the organizational changes that took place last year are going to lead to, for example, the integration of handheld devices and home consoles into one system over the medium term, or a focus on cost saving and the improvement of resource efficiency in the medium run. Please also explain if you still have room to reduce research and development expenses.
A 5

Iwata:

Last year Nintendo reorganized its R&D divisions and integrated the handheld device and home console development teams into one division under Mr. Takeda. Previously, our handheld video game devices and home video game consoles had to be developed separately as the technological requirements of each system, whether it was battery-powered or connected to a power supply, differed greatly, leading to completely different architectures and, hence, divergent methods of software development. However, because of vast technological advances, it became possible to achieve a fair degree of architectural integration. We discussed this point, and we ultimately concluded that it was the right time to integrate the two teams.

For example, currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor. The only exception was when we went from Nintendo GameCube to Wii. Though the controller changed completely, the actual computer and graphics chips were developed very smoothly as they were very similar to those of Nintendo GameCube, but all the other systems required ground-up effort. However, I think that we no longer need this kind of effort under the current circumstances. In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

Still, I am not sure if the form factor (the size and configuration of the hardware) will be integrated. In contrast, the number of form factors might increase. Currently, we can only provide two form factors because if we had three or four different architectures, we would face serious shortages of software on every platform. To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models. The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.

AgeEighty

What certain take away from that statement is

- Nintendo keeps the door open for another dedicated handheld.

- They are not committed to make the Switch their only flagship hardware in the market. At least not yet.

What it means is anything can change drastically depending on success of the Switch. If it bombs, the next handheld will come. If it hits the 3DS or the Wii level, this is the only hardware moving forward.

Or it means they could make a dedicated handheld Switch.

It would make no sense at all for them to go back to having a separate portable platform, because they're no longer organizationally set up for that. They've integrated their dev studios. Having that development division was a burden on both platforms. I don't see them going back to that, ever. It just makes too much sense to have one game platform with a variety of form factors to cater to different market segments.

Keep in mind that even if the hardware launching next month fails, that doesn't mean they'll abandon the Switch platform. They finally have standardized hardware architecture, much like Sony and Microsoft. The days when heavily proprietary hardware made financial sense are over. There's no reason why they couldn't release a new console and handheld, but still say "These both run the same games, and will run all your Switch games as well." They can even call it something else, but still have it effectively be based on Switch.

I just don't see any realistic way that they're ever again going to have split platforms.

Kikorin

I think there would be a market for a "3DS successor" too. Switch is more for teenager and people of 20+ years, because is pretty expensive and I don't see it beeing common among child.

So at some point they will release a cheaper, smaller and only portable version of the Switch especially for kids, something like the 2DS.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I hope you're dense on purpose and this is not a reflection of the way you actually use your thinking process.

I am just not pretending to get confused by their messages like you though

Or it means they could make a dedicated handheld Switch.

It would make no sense at all for them to go back to having a separate portable platform, because they're no longer organizationally set up for that. They've integrated their dev studios. Having that development division was a burden on both platforms. I don't see them going back to that, ever. It just makes too much sense to have one game platform with a variety of form factors to cater to different market segments.

Keep in mind that even if the hardware launching next month fails, that doesn't mean they'll abandon the Switch platform. They finally have standardized hardware architecture, much like Sony and Microsoft. The days when heavily proprietary hardware made financial sense are over. There's no reason why they couldn't release a new console and handheld, but still say "These both run the same games, and will run all your Switch games as well." They can even call it something else, but still have it effectively be based on Switch.

I just don't see any realistic way that they're ever again going to have split platforms.

Well exactly. First post implied thst a 3DS successor here doesnt mean another newer more powerful 3DS. Could be a Switch Mini with more portable features (smaller size, longer battery hours etc).

Eolz

Would be great if the Dualscreen line was kept alive. That said, they should think about it and don't make their home console a handheld next time then.

zoukka

Alright, so this is sort of interesting.

From a Q&A with Aonuma.

How about speeding up development processes? Does the Switch architecture mean you can unify your handheld and console software teams, enabling you to get games out more quickly?

There's an element of that, but it doesn't automatically mean things wil happen more quickly or more easily. Plus, Nintendo 3DS still has plenty of titles in development. The concept of the Switch is that you have a home console that you can take with you on the go, and in that respect it is both home console and handheld, but it doesn't mean for us that the concept of a dedicated handheld will just disappear.

Apart from that, no big news in the Switch feature. A lot of gorgeous photos though and it's very informative. Their overall tone on Switch is rather negative for all the reasons we've heard here at GAF many times before. Pricey, too many features leading to compromise in a couple of places, lack of launch software, etcetera.

From the EDGE thread. Seems to further confirm that Nintendo wants a separate successor to 3DS at some point (of course it's up to debate if they CAN do it).

From the EDGE thread. Seems to further confirm that Nintendo wants a separate successor to 3DS at some point (of course it's up to debate if they CAN do it).

I've been thinking about that quote, and it's possible that he means that's the reason they're keeping on the 3DS. Perhaps they'll keep selling the 3DS until they get the Switch architecture down to a dedicated handheld form-factor.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A 3DS successor would just be the Switch hardware in a different form factor. I have no doubt they will create a cheaper, portable focused model that shares the game library.

They are never again going to make two walled-off pieces of hardware, they cannot support it.

Nintendo should leverage a cheaper Switch (Switch Mini/Lite?) the same way they did the DS Lite + 2DS. It makes sense financially and there's a precedent. But would Nintendo have a different developer environment for the console or try to converge the '3DS successor' + Switch?

On a user level I could see the 3DS successor implementing backward compatibility by only offering one screen but emulating the second screen if they keep the 3DS/DS image.

I think it makes more sense overall for Nintendo to offer the Switch as a handheld later, into the future though and make a Switch Pro in a few years to be honest.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A 3DS successor would just be the Switch hardware in a different form factor. I have no doubt they will create a cheaper, portable focused model that shares the game library.

They are never again going to make two walled-off pieces of hardware, they cannot support it.

That's not what Aonuma's latest answer implies unfortunately.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
a switch lite would make sense

a 3ds 2 would make me happy to see N drop out of the hardware market

Eolz

It's a Switch Lite. Smaller form factor with lower price. Surely this is obvious?

If they really are not going with the Switch as a successor for everything, I wouldn't bet on what you're saying as the obvious route for Nintendo.
They could have the same architecture all while going with the DS layout.

Dunkley

Introducing... Switch Lite!

Smaller, more colors, no dock/mobile only, $199.

They won't make a new brand/machine.

Honestly this is what I expect anyway at some point, a handheld only SKU for a lower price.

After all they are selling docks seperately.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
If they're referring to a Switch Lite, fair enough, but if they go and release a 3DS successor then they are effectively strangling the Switch

Waji

Unless it's a Switch Mini, this would be the dumbest move Nintendo has made since the Wii U.
I can't agree more. And I think the Wii U is genious compared to what this terrible idea would be.
Hope it's just to reassure investors but it's not true.

Anth0ny

Unless it's a Switch Mini, this would be the dumbest move Nintendo has made since the Wii U.

yup. a switch without all in first party support is an expensive wii u. splitting resources between two platforms now would be a DISASTER.

switch lite would be fine

Koutsoubas

What mini-Switch? The Switch is already mini when is portable, clocked at HALF the speed it has docked.

What is the new 3DS going to be? A competitor to the Switch, essentially killing it.

IMO

bachikarn

yup. a switch without all in first party support is an expensive wii u. splitting resources between two platforms now would be a DISASTER.

switch lite would be fine

Yup. If the a Switch isn't it a unified platform, it is basically just a better executed Wii U.

If anything they should do the opposite,

A Switch 'Pro'

Non portable higher spec Switch home console and let the OG Switch maintain its portability.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thinking about it some more, the deal is obviously

If Switch fails - 3DS successor
If Switch is a DS like success - Bye DS line.

This already happened with the GBA->DS, they're just keeping their options open, I guess it's a way to make investors not freak out if the Switch has a bumpy ride

VDenter

Banned
So Nintendo wants to be in the exact same position it was with the Wii U? Endless droughts totaling overall 10 good games over the course of 5-6 years yeah....NO. I dont think that will work, they should go all in with the Switch. The handheld market is shrinking even if they did releases a 3DS 2 its lifetime sales would probably be half of what the 3DS sales were. This is probably PR by Nintendo they cant possibly be this stupid.

megalowho

All the 3DS talk is starting to sound like Nintendo wavering on the Switch more than propping up a dying platform. Unified development was easily the most compelling aspect of a hybrid approach in the first place. Ideally they'd stop muddying the waters, release a handheld version of the switch alongside the bundle with living room accessories and go all in, but I won't underestimate Nintendo's ability to make self defeating decisions.

Qwyjibo

This would be great news. I assume, if Nintendo is smart (ughhh), that it would still all be under the "Switch" brand.

I have very little interest in the Switch as it has been revealed. I have no interest in another Nintendo home console. But I'd love a Nintendo dedicated portable system. With all this talk, I'm definitely going to wait it out in hopes of this "Switch Lite" coming along at some point in the next couple years.

It makes complete sense.
Market weaker hardware as primarily portable, and kid-proof.

Switch, as far as I've seen, looks to be designed as a higher end product. Not one I'd entrust to a child.

Small devs could also keep making 3DS budget games, without looking of less value next to console quality games.

Dual Screen gaming is also pretty awesome, and something Nintendo should keep available for clever devs.

watershed

Banned
I'd be cool with a Switch Lite that gets rid of all the console aspects of the Switch, costs less, plays most/all Switch games, and has more portable features like streetpass, a longer battery, etc.

Muzicfreq

Banned
They keep trying you all that it isn't a successor... Yet you all play backseat CEO, president, or what have you, and start confirming shit that you want to believe or talking like you knew their plans all along.

What we can do is wait and see. If they come out with a new 3ds line or switch it all over to the switch.

Marketing and everything they have been saying about the switch has been a "portable home console" not a mobile gaming device.
We shall see in the coming years

I'm sure Nintendo is "considering" a lot of things. This isn't a confirmation of anything though. It wouldn't make sense for Kimishima to say it's not happening, because Switch's success isn't guaranteed, so the option will be there if things don't pan out. If Switch does succeed, however, I fully expect Nintendo to offer different form factors of that hardware to expand the user base, rather than create a completely new ecosystem that will take up valuable resources.

After this year, I think the days of having two separate development streams are gone. It's really in the best interests of everyone.

Top Bottom