• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima considering 3DS successor

Cuburt

The quote you found says "Won't simply replace" in the same way he said "The NX is neither the successor to the Wii U nor to the 3DS."

There is no backwards compatibility, no second screen. It's not a successor or a replacement for those systems, it's something different.

It's Nintendo's next system while the Wii U fades out, but that should be obvious to someone that isn't trying to make a quote sound like it's saying something it isn't.

routerbad

Banned
No. Nothing really has changed. Nintendo isn't living the fanboy dream of unifying their console and handheld divisions. Their next handheld might be running a similar OS to the Switch but it will not be based on the Switch. They're being as clear as any business can on these points.

They did unify their divisions, though. That's not a dream, that's just that actuality that is the organization within the hardware and software engineering departments within the company. Whether that means one device or multiple devices, is as yet to be seen, but I think everyone could have seen them holding onto a successful platform until a new platform has proven itself on the market.

It wouldn't make any sense to say in an investor meeting that they were not going to continue developing for the 3DS, a platform that just saw YoY gains in sales, and was the platform that they released one of if not the fastest selling game in their entire history just last November.

Their stocks would have tanked, because investors want stability, and shucking off everything you have that's making you money while putting everything behind an unproven platform, no matter how transformative and obvious the value proposition, is ludicrous and chaotic.

So, nothing has changed, the 3DS/2DS will be the platform(s) aimed at the younger audience for the time being, and the Switch will be marketed hard at Nintendo's primary demographic (25-34) primarily with younger audiences taking the backseat until the platform and the online services are solid and proven from a market standpoint.

I still believe that if the Switch is successful the 3DS will not be around long, and there will be no "successor". There may be a different SKU released targeted at a portable only audience.

I don't see them doing a standalone console, simply because it won't do well in Japan and doesn't really offer anything over the current Switch (at least, not with current software). However, a portable-focused Switch would offer a cheaper price point and well, less cumbersome form factor to carry around. It would appeal to the 3DS audience. The idea that this somehow restricts growth is absurd, when it's sticking with only a single hardware option that would restrict growth. There's nothing saying they have to use the same marketing for each device in the family, that would be silly because they'd be targeted to different groups, that's the entire point.

It was just an example, but not something out of the ordinary for a company to target, especially if Nintendo says this is a home console that you take with you (not that I buy it, because it does also look portable enough, more on that later). I also disagree with the idea that the Switch is cumbersome to carry around. It's about the size of an iPad with JoyCons that you could easily pack inside a case within a bag. That's not far off from a 3DS which wasn't pocketable and had to be in a bag. Also, do we even know if a handheld switch would appeal to the 3DS market? I mean, a good chunk of the 60mil user base probably has already considered buying into the Switch, so how much more would the handheld version really push? Especially in the rise of mobile gaming eating up the market share. If anything, the only demographic you could argue that wouldn't buy into it right away are children.

The way I understand it, it seems like people want the Switch to have something akin to DS Phat > DS Lite > DSi and 3DS/XL > N3DS/XL, which all played the same games (with some added bells and whistles here and there, particularly wifi encryption, and exclusives due to tech). Which is completely different from the iOS example.

As for the iOS comparison, we're not trying to say Switch is an all-purpose device. Why does it need anything other than gaming? We're talking about a standard platform for games to run on. No need for developers to target multiple platforms just to get their game on each different device. A game is released, cartridges are produced, you can plug them into any device running on the Switch platform and they just work. Or in the case of digital games, depending on how the account system works, you might be able to buy a game and download it to any of your devices. Cloud saves are a possibility too, I'm fairly certain that was mentioned in the past regarding the future of Nintendo platforms.

I'm not saying that you're saying Switch is an all-purpose device. I'm saying that for the iOS comparison to work, your form factors would each have to serve different needs beyond how games are played. Like I said, the reason why iOS compatibility works so well is because Apple is able to provide software to different people with many different form factors (Phones, Tablets, MP3 Players, etc). For it to work for Nintendo, Switch form factors would have to provide different needs from a technological standpoint, while still being compatible with one OS. I don't see how it can work with video game consoles as they don't have enough to differentiate themselves from one another to the extent that iPhones, iPads etc. are from each other.

Terrell

I imagine that this thread is still going because people are conflating "handheld" with a wholly new hardware architecture instead of discussing it merely as a form factor?

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Maybe late 2019. The tech isn't there yet to make the Switch lighter, thinner with significantly better battery life. Would be great with a spec bump ala New 3DS.

weekev

Banned
Wow with that bump I thought there was more news. I cant see a true 3ds successor. I think its the Switch, he just doesnt want to say that cos he still wants people to buy 3ds games.

Tonyx

The 3ds has a huge installed base.

They can't ignore it or even hint it's going to die until Switch reaches a critical mass.

Surely, if Switch bombs they'll make a 3DS successor. But if Switch goes well (even not Wii-well) they'll probably stick to a single console for a few years.

Hermii

Maybe late 2019. The tech isn't there yet to make the Switch lighter, thinner with significantly better battery life. Would be great with a spec bump ala New 3DS.
Well actually it is assuming it's 20nm. Shrink it to 16, remove the fan (it would get by with passive cooling), have a smaller battery and bam you got a Nintendo pocket.

The only reason anyone is even remotely interested in the Switch is because it would finally centralize all of Nintendo's effort.
Even if they released a new 3DS, it would still run on the same platform/specs as switch. Nintendo isn't stupid. All their games are going to run on the switch platform going forward.

Brought my Switch to work to play while I had some down time and randomly thought how much of a downgrade playing my 3DS would be. Having that realization really cemented the thought that we got one more year of 3DS games before the Switch becomes Nintendo's 1 centralized system. I can't even imagine someone buying a 3DS at this point in time considering the pricing on both systems, unless you're looking to play the games that were already released on the 3DS.

Majine

Banned
Knowing that eventually all Nintendo games would consolidate to this singular hybrid device, Switch, that was the original appeal of it (bar mobile games like Super Mario Run I guess). No more software segragation.

I'd be so bummed if they announce a 3DS successor 1 or 2 years from now.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Well actually it is assuming it's 20nm. Shrink it to 16, remove the fan (it would get by with passive cooling), have a smaller battery and bam you got a Nintendo pocket.

12nm should be viable by 2019, which would really increase battery life, size/weight and increase performance. 12nm could eventually allow the Switch to run at full speed while undocked.

It's also possible that the Switch becomes the Nintendo handheld as time goes on, replacing the 3DS. Nintendo could release another machine once VR/4K tech matures in 3 years or so. At least that's the direction I would explore if O was at the helm, which I am not.

Okay so I'm not sure if I was a victim of Nintendo's clever marketing, but for some reason it wasn't until I purchased the Switch when I realized this was a handheld system that could also be played on your TV, not a home console like they wanted us to believe. I guess I assumed the dock would have some of the guts in it...but nope all the guts are in the tablet itself. So now I REALLY don't understand Kimishima's comments about adding a new Nintendo handheld to the mix, as it will only take money and resources from the Switch. It would be a net push for the company and a net loss for the consumer.

Okay so I'm not sure if I was a victim of Nintendo's clever marketing, but for some reason it wasn't until I purchased the Switch when I realized this was a handheld system that could also be played on your TV, not a home console like they wanted us to believe. .

A lot of people think this, some if that falls on nintendo.

Anyhow, as soon as you open the box flap and see a tablet, you know what's up.

Zereta

This. Is. A. Bad. Idea.

And undercuts the sheer potential the Switch has to change the console landscape in any capacity.

dlauv

Wouldn't it be stupid if they competed with themselves?

Or would it be classic Nintendo quirk? Like two screens for Star Fox or two screens and 3D for a handheld? Or like requiring a phone app for matchmaking and voice chat? Or like a portable that is also a console? Or two controllers in one like the N64 controller? Or a handle on a home console with mini-dvds that spin the wrong way and no place to put the wires or power box? Or motion controls?

Sheroking

Switch is like DS before it came out.

If it wasn't a success, there was going to be a new Gameboy. It was a success, so there was no gameboy. If Switch isn't selling, there will be a traditional handheld system. If it sustains, there probably won't be.

Always hedge your bets.

Jacce

Banned
Okay so I'm not sure if I was a victim of Nintendo's clever marketing, but for some reason it wasn't until I purchased the Switch when I realized this was a handheld system that could also be played on your TV, not a home console like they wanted us to believe. I guess I assumed the dock would have some of the guts in it...but nope all the guts are in the tablet itself. So now I REALLY don't understand Kimishima's comments about adding a new Nintendo handheld to the mix, as it will only take money and resources from the Switch. It would be a net push for the company and a net loss for the consumer.
You do realize the thread was based on a mistranslation that was corrected after yeah?

This is a old month thread that was bizarrely bumped. The original article was a mistranslation that was later debunked but this is the old thread from before that update.

Edit: Wait. Why are so many people treating this like news? This was a very old thread of a debunked mistranslation bumped for no reason. What in the world is going on here?

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
The only reason anyone is even remotely interested in the Switch is because it would finally centralize all of Nintendo's effort.

Bingo. I bought it as a 3ds successor. If they release another handheld and again split their development on two systems. I will be speechless.

Edit: oh old and bumped. Either way I guess my feelings are the same.

Jacce

Banned
I guess this is the only way for anyone to stop replying to this thread earnestly
THIS IS AN OLD THREAD BUMPED FOR NO REASON. IT WAS BASED ON A MISTRANLATION LATER CORRECTED.

Move along folks.

Top Bottom