• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kimishima: NX "not merely" successor to "handheld" 3DS or "stationary console" Wii U

• Thread starter Deleted member 752119
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry to post yet another Nintendo thread, but I don't think this quote from Kimishima is getting enough discussion/speculation (despite being posted in other threads).

Respected Japanese paper Nikkei asked Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima what kind of game machine the NX was. “At this current stage, I’m not able to say,” Kimishima replied. “However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking. I’d like to announce more particulars regarding its specs and how it works another time this year.”

What should we/can we read into this?

If it's not "merely" a "handheld" OR "stationary console," what the hell is it?

I know Iwata said repeatedly that it wouldn't be a hybrid, but things have changed with his passing and that quote sounds hybrid-esque. Not being "merely" a handheld or a console could imply that it's both at once.

Or it could imply that there will just be a lot of hardware options out there to play all NX games I guess.

Sucks we have to wait so long to even no what the NX hardware is in general.

This is exactly what Nintendo's been saying about their eventual next platform since early 2014.

While we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Raide

Hopefully its both. Handheld that also docks into a base unit and play the same games either handheld or on the TV.

Sulik2

Perhaps its not an underpowered console based on a gimmick, but a proper full power home console with a normal controller now?

Nibel

What should we/can we read into this?

The NX is an entirely new thing that has nothing to do with the established Wii/DS brands like Wii U and 3DS do.

I don't think that sentence says anything about it being a hybrid or not, just that NX is a clean slate for them

Guevara

Nintendo often feels like the kid who forgot to do his homework, so he puts something together on the bus to school.

Consistent software platform and OS adaptable to many different form factors, SKUs, and presumably input devices (this is Nintendo). The Apple model is the benchmark we should be looking at.

LewieP

Read this.

Nintendo have said plenty about the NX already, you can get a reasonable impression of what they might mean by simply reading what they have said.

but a proper full power home console with a normal controller now?

Is there room for another one of those, though? Even Microsoft is losing market share.

Cool first party and all, it might just not be worth the risk, when they can keep trying to get their niche going. A lot of people buy Nintendo handhelds that don’t buy their hardware, and this could be another attempt to get them.

So I wouldn’t hold my breath.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Hybrid or handheld + PSTV-like console confirmed imo. Both have to be under $200 for me to care. Another 5+ years of last-gen graphics...

balohna

I am expecting several SKUs. A handheld (2 sizes) and a console that needs either the handheld or a handheld-like controller to operate. You can buy the console with the controller or not, if not you need the handheld too. Games support multiple handhelds/controllers, so your friends can bring their handheld or you can have extra controllers for them. All games are on both, and all crossbuy, but are enhanced if you have the console.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This is exactly what Nintendo's been saying about their eventual next platform since early 2014.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130qa/02.html

Could be I suppose. But I'd see having a console and portable as "brothers" still being successors to the 3DS and Wii U. Just with some shared games and a unified OS etc.

Could just be his English being limited (have no idea how fluent he is) I guess.

Read this.

Nintendo have said plenty about the NX already, you can get a reasonable impression of what they might mean by simply reading what they have said.

I have read and kept up with all that. Problem is most of that was said by Iwata who is now dead. It's not a given that new leadership, and especially shareholders, want to keep his vision given how badly the Wii U failed, how much the 3DS dropped off from DS, how resistant he was to mobile etc.

Red Hood

Banned
I still think it's a ludicrously insanely stupid ass motherfucking idea that they won't reveal it at E3. Are they really going to use a Direct for it?

Z3M0G

I know Iwata said repeatedly that it wouldn't be a hybrid, but things have changed with his passing and that quote sounds hybrid-esque. Not being "merely" a handheld or a console could imply that it's both at once.

Ok I'm confused... what do people expect a "hybrid" to be? What exactly did he say this will not be?

When I think hybrid, I think a couple possibilities:

- a single on-the-go device that can also output to a TV
- a controller that can be used on-the-go while the base console is at home
- etc

So did he mean it is none of these things? Or could it still be one but not the other? Or do people not accept these concepts as "hybrids" and they have something completely different in mind?

jnWake

Most interesting thing is that he said they'd discuss the specs later.

They'll just say 'They're good'.

SerTapTap

I seriously wish they'd just shut the hell up at this point if they're not going to actually tell us anything. It's just fluffing their investors at this point (which seems to be what QOL was too).

I've never heard so many words to say absolutely nothing as I have with this NX teasing.

LoveCake

The NeoGeo X the Nintendo X? Hmmmm

Something like this I wonder?

AddCTop.jpg

emb

I'm sick of the silence. Say what it is Ninty, please. :(

Disappointed that it's not planned for E3 this year, but I'm sure we'll get a Nintendo Direct sometime.

Consistent software platform and OS adaptable to many different form factors, SKUs, and presumably input devices (this is Nintendo). The Apple model is the benchmark we should be looking at.

I'd bet on this too. Basically a gaming-apps-only version of iOS. DLC by way of amiibos. Tons of accessories.

I can wear a hat AND put the hat on a stationary hat rack.

hint hint.

...so the NX is a secret stash for the Vox Populi?

While I would love nothing more than for the system to be a hybrid, I dont see Nintendo giving up on two revenue streams from two platforms yet. I expect any sharing to be software only, with plenty of exclusives for each separate device.

Davey Cakes

Jesus, just announce the shit already. This carrot dangling is just annoying at this point.
They're not ready. That's it.

Think about it this way. Nintendo's messaging and marketing with the Wii U was disastrous. They need to make sure they announce the NX the right way, at the right time, with the right details, and the right games to showcase.

If they need more time to fulfill the philosophy behind the console and create a meaningful sales pitch, so be it. I'd rather them take their time than rush the product and the message out the door.

Rodin

So it's a handheld that can connect to a 400gflops dock to play the same games in 1080p, basically.
hi neoxon

No seriously, either they're spinning it beyond reason or we are missing something here.

Think about it this way. Nintendo's messaging and marketing with the Wii U was disastrous. They need to make sure they announce the NX the right way, at the right time, with the right details, and the right games to showcase.

If they need more time to fulfill the philosophy behind the console and create a meaningful sales pitch, so be it. I'd rather them take their time than rush the product and the message out the door.
Pretty much. Let's hope they knock it out of the fucking park though, i think that people aren't feeling that confident after this morning.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

I get that.

Repeating the same canned, coy, response is still annoying.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I hate to be negative but all the news today give me the impression that Nintendo is going to be gimmicky again and drop the ball.

Top Bottom