• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Were ads really that much of a problem for most people? As someone who listens to their shows via podcast, hitting the fast forward button a few times per episode is not that big of a deal; and as far as YouTube goes, it is rare to find a channel that doesn't run ads anymore (though I am on a YouTube Red trial, so I am not sure how often their videos have ads).

It is really hard to chastise them for taking on so many sponsors when you look at it from a financial perspective. They have (now) four full-time employees, a part-time community manager, in the process of hiring a full-time editor, their own studio space with tons of equipment, put on a two-day event each year, and their Patreons combined are just under $500k/yr. Combine that with this all being in San Francisco, I bet they would have had to pay themselves next to nothing if they wanted to get by on Patreon money alone.

When I downloaded the episode of Joe Rogan's show where they talked about Colin, the first 8-10 minutes of the show were just ad reads. Maybe being old enough to remember a time before podcasts and DVRs where you had zero option of moving past ads, I have a higher tolerance for them.

jf DOOM

He is averaging about $7 per patron which should go down eventually. Even so, I didn't see over $25K coming at all. I thought 15K-20K at most.

So a shot? because that's what I called it.

Looking at what potential customers are asking for and giving it to them is a shot?

Mezoly

Looking at what potential customers are asking for and giving it to them is a shot?

I'll bring some weird analogy just for fun. "Looking at what potential customers are asking for" is what Sony did re-used games in E3-2013 and people called it a shot at MS.

Here is the situation. Colin knows that he has a common audience with KF and today he was like "hey you know that thing that you hate about ads? I won't do it". I considered it a shot but I would like to hear if other people don't consider it a shot.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'll bring some weird analogy just for fun. "Looking at what potential customers are asking for" is what Sony did re-used games in E3-2013 and people called it a shot at MS.

Here is the situation. Colin knows that he has a common audience with KF and today he was like "hey you know that thing that you hate about ads? I won't do it". I considered it a shot but I would like to hear if other people don't consider it a shot.

gaf loves console warz though

You know I was excited about this earlier today, but as I was reading his Patreon page describing what his channel is and what he plans to do, a vision of the future hit me. Within a few months he'll be negligent on supporting his patreon rewards and he'll start doing only one video a week here and there which will become more and more prevalent until that's the norm and not long after that, even that one becomes less frequent.

Wasn't that exactly what it was based on that Kaz & Boyes 'game sharing' video?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
You know I was excited about this earlier today, but as I was reading his Patreon page describing what his channel is and what he plans to do, a vision of the future hit me. Within a few months he'll be negligent on supporting his patreon rewards and he'll start doing only one video a week here and there which will become more and more prevalent until that's the norm and not long after that, even that one becomes less frequent.

Then he'll lose money

I'm blown away by how much money he is receiving, but I have no doubt that number is going to drop quickly. He was working pretty much 7 days a week to pump out 7 minute videos for Colin Was Right and that was with Kevin, Nick and Tim helping. He's barely going to be able to pump out one video a week and if there's a drop in quality due to him being stretched thin people are going to abandon ship.

Also based on how he was at Kinda Funny, Colin is going to fulfil exactly 0 of those Patreon tiers.

Mezoly

What do you guys want new from KF? as in shows/content.

I personally don't want them to do any new podcasts(other than a PlayStation one). Their podcast formula got old for me.

Wasn't that exactly what it was based on that Kaz & Boyes 'game sharing' video?

Or the E3 conference itself. Pointing out that you don't have the unpopular business practices of another business is considered a shot imo. Anyways, I explained it a lot in this thread and frankly it doesn't matter.

To your main point, if he does that he will lose money quickly.

jtar86

Good for Colin I'll probably throw him some money at some point. I don't always agree with what he says but I have a lot of respect for the guy. He's clearly intelligent even though people seem to think he's some kind of ignorant nazi. I'm sure he was super nervous about leaving, or getting pushed out but I'm sure he's breathing easy now. I would be.

Zukkoyaki

I personally don't want them to do any new podcasts(other than a PlayStation one). Their podcast formula got old for me.
Love and Sex Stuff needs to come back asap.

Also I'm tempted to say a film and television podcast with Tim and Nick but so much if that would be overlap with GOG and their Reacts series.

Personally I would enjoy a revival of Oreo Oration but just have it be Greg and Kevin trying and reviewing snacks, fast food, new restaurant items and such. Oreo Oration was way more entertaining than it had any right to be.

Their games content is fine but they need a new voice or two.

The last thing they need is another podcast, I think they should completely revamp Gamescast by mimicking Giant Bomb's schedule: record/stream it the day before it releases, and not stick to the same format that works well for GOG, but not so much for Gamescast. It feels like they cut topics short for time, plus with this format the news stories will not feel so dated by the time the show is released.

As far as a Playstation podcast, I think I would rather have them roll all the segments into Gamescast and make it a longer show; no matter who they would bring into replace Colin, I don't think it'll be the same.

Personally I would enjoy a revival of Oreo Oration but just have it be Greg and Kevin trying and reviewing snacks, fast food, new restaurant items and such. Oreo Oration was way more entertaining than it had any right to be.
Absolutely this, I think them doing some kind of food review or even cooking show could be extremely entertaining.

Mezoly

Love and Sex Stuff needs to come back asap.

Also I'm tempted to say a film and television podcast with Tim and Nick but so much if that would be overlap with GOG and their Reacts series.

Their games content is fine but they need a new voice or two.

Oreo Oration was awesome and the reason I subscribed to GameOverGreggy channel back then. I love your idea of reviewing snacks and stuff.

Zukkoyaki

Oreo Oration was awesome and the reason I subscribed to GameOverGreggy channel back then. I love your idea of reviewing snacks and stuff.
Along similar lines, maybe a "Cooking With Greggy" show where Greg gets his chef on and the other guys score it like the judges on primetime television. That has the potential to be hilarious. Maybe have competitions once in a while.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm blown away by how much money he is receiving, but I have no doubt that number is going to drop quickly. He was working pretty much 7 days a week to pump out 7 minute videos for Colin Was Right and that was with Kevin, Nick and Tim helping. He's barely going to be able to pump out one video a week and if there's a drop in quality due to him being stretched thin people are going to abandon ship.

Also based on how he was at Kinda Funny, Colin is going to fulfil exactly 0 of those Patreon tiers.

I don't think the majority of his patrons actually care about the content he wants to produce.

Along similar lines, maybe a "Cooking With Greggy" show

YUP! YUP! YUP!

luIabQk.png

Choomp

Banned
The saddest thing, I just realized, is the official death of A Conversation with Colin. That is what got me into watching their stuff.

mdubs

Banned
The saddest thing, I just realized, is the official death of A Conversation with Colin. That is what got me into watching their stuff.

Same here! That was my in with them before GameOverGreggy show. I got into Podcast Beyond shortly after that. It's hard to see Colin go for a lot of us, myself included, I think because we've spent years listening to him and Greg banter about stuff so it's sad to think that this might be the end of that happening regularly.

Yea it wasn't that long ago they were cooking chicken cutlets together in the kitchen where Colin filmed the video. And yet here we are with Colin leaving Greg.

FelipeMGM

Nearly at 30K now, very impressive

Wonder how big or small the drop will be after the first few months (something that is very common with Patreon's)

RoKKeR

Wonder how big or small the drop will be after the first few months (something that is very common with Patreon's)

I would imagine so... still, it's been insane to watch it climb. Past 30k now.

I hope it drives him to get more ambitious with it all.

Also, re: "bad blood" talk, it's really hard to say... Colin has been pretty mum and vague on the matter (Rubin interview) while the KF guys have generally been putting on a good face about it all. (they were promoting CLS on the morning show today and were giving him a lot of love)

I doubt their friendships are completely blown up, but at the same time I think it's clear that things hadn't been going smoothly recently.

Mezoly

It's over 30K now, it was achieved in about 9 hours.

I think the number of patrons is a good indicator for the baseline. If he maintains 5K patrons with average around $3 per patron he should have 15K as a baseline. But what do I know, he certainly blew away my highest expectation.

Bulby

33 fucking thousand. That is completely insane.

I imagine he will have to rethink how is going to do this a bit. With that much money, people will expect things and I hope he is smart enough to realise this.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe the toxic babies calling Greg, Tim, Nick traitors and continue to downvote can now leave this community and never come back.

I imagine he will have to rethink how is going to do this a bit. With that much money, people will expect things and I hope he is smart enough to realise this.

He probably wont. I recall not too long ago on the morning show he admonished Nick for getting such fancy cameras and not having something cheaper like on the Rubin Report.

The production of this show is gonna be interesting because I always got the impression that he never got involved, nor wants to get involved with technical aspects of anything and just wants to be a part of the creative but now he must wear both hats.

Dominator

Thats why he's making clear its 2 videos a week and no more.

a916

I just watched the KindaFunny "review in progress" of Andromeda... and boy was it awful.

What's the point? You've played 6 hours of a 50-60 hour game. That's not a review in progress, that's a preview. Not to mention the two/thirds of the group haven't touched it. It's this kinda content that KF releases and makes me wonder if they even have a barometer for quality.

sora87

I just watched the KindaFunny "review in progress" of Andromeda... and boy was it awful.

What's the point? You've played 6 hours of a 50-60 hour game. That's not a review in progress, that's a preview. Not to mention the two/thirds of the group haven't touched it. It's this kinda content that KF releases and makes me wonder if they even have a barometer for quality.

They've had this problem since they first started, it's why their "reviews" are often utterly pointless because they're basing their views on 2-6 hours of gameplay, sometimes even under an hour.

Mezoly

Yeah that's one of the biggest complains lobbied at them. They want to be part of the Zeitgeist without having the resources to do so. I honestly wouldn't mind hearing their thoughts about games 2-3 weeks after release. Since they are not a review site, I don't depend on them for purchases and just want to compare my thoughts with theirs.

Coda

As much as I wouldn't agree with Colin on some things it's weird watching Kinda Funny without him around. I really hope the best for them but it just seems off now without that other voice.

Five

Banned
Honestly, like, does Colin really need this much money at all to do 2 videos a week? Damn.
Of course not. It's just Colin's most ardent followers are doing as they've been instructed by him for nine years and voting with their wallets.

Zukkoyaki

I finally watched last week's Gamescast and goodness gracious, Colin really couldn't have seemed more disinterested. And when he did talk it was devoid of anything resembling enthusiasm. Sad!

Hopefully he's energized by being able to talk about whatever he wants (and making money out the ass doing so).

Also I LOVE when Nick is on the Gamescast. He may not know much about games but he hams it up and makes it entertaining for everyone. Also when there is a game he's interested in or wants to talk about, he's surprisingly good at it.

mdubs

Banned
Maybe the toxic babies calling Greg, Tim, Nick traitors and continue to downvote can now leave this community and never come back.

Yeah. The comments are absolutely toxic right now, and really takes the veneer off about the Kinda Funny community being exceedingly positive. Holy moly did the mask come off - the witchhunt and the comments about Tim in particular are terrible things to see.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. The comments are absolutely toxic right now, and really takes the veneer off about the Kinda Funny community being exceedingly positive. Holy moly did the mask come off - the witchhunt and the comments about Tim in particular are terrible things to see.

The veneer was off for a long time now hopefully when the toxic elements grow bored and leave they can actually build this positive community they envisioned. One that doesn't punch down and bullies and harrasses other people under whatever cheap guise but one that uplifts, is empathetic to another and actually does humor that punches up.

Dominator

I really like the Patreon News Burst's he's sending out to people who pledged, it's cool to see his instant take on current things happening.

The veneer was off for a long time now hopefully when the toxic elements grow bored and leave they can actually build this positive community they envisioned. One that doesn't punch down and bullies and harrasses other people under whatever cheap guise but one that uplifts, is empathetic to another and actually does humor that punches up.

If only a certain someone made a statement telling them to back off of his friends....

Maximo

If only a certain someone made a statement telling them to back off of his friends....

Yeah Colin and his fans especially the new ones are toxic and seem hell bent on trying to ruin the community of Kinda Funny, Colin could step in but nah don't want hurt his financials gotta keep playing the oppressed victim.

The Colin's Last Stand title is funny in an ironic way. I know for a fact Colin is very well versed in US History. But, if Colin's Last Stand is, in fact, a play on Custer's Last Stand. Well, that didn't work out too well for old General Custer.

After the Civil War, Custer remained a major general in the United States Volunteers until they were mustered out in February 1866. He reverted to his permanent rank of captain and was appointed a lieutenant colonel in the 7th Cavalry Regiment in July 1866. He was dispatched to the west in 1867 to fight in the American Indian Wars. On June 25, 1876, while leading the 7th Cavalry Regiment at the Battle of the Little Bighorn in Montana Territory against a coalition of Native American tribes, he and all of his detachment—which included two of his brothers—were killed. The battle is popularly known in American history as "Custer's Last Stand." Custer and his regiment were defeated so decisively at the Little Bighorn that it has overshadowed all of his prior achievements.

Though, according to the Atari 2600, he did get his revenge ;p

Top Bottom