• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games represents the very worst that Gaming media has to offer

Does anyone else feel this way? I absolutely can not stand how they are always being corporate apologists and defending anti consumer practices.

It's really fucking awful. I don't think I've ever seen as bad corporate cock sucking in the gaming media as Kinda Funny. It actually disgusts me some times.

Why don't they grow a pair of balls and actually behave like real journalists and stand up for consumer rights?

At this point they make IGN look like angels and that's really saying something!

What does Gaf think about them? Why all the corporate cock sucking? It's shameless!

I thought they were pretty good when they first started out. Greg Miller bothers the shit out of me, but Tim and Colin helped balance things out. I would say about 6 months before the infamous Colin tweet the content started to fall off a little bit, but once Colin left it just started getting exponentially worse.

I tried listening to the podcast a few months ago and it was complete doo doo - haven't checked back since.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I barely even register that there is a gaming media anymore.

I just browse Gaf, a tolerable subreddit or two, and watch games or channels I like on YouTube. A few aggregate news sources with no opinion writing to be found to top it all off.

Outside of Schrier, who I still question, who out there is doing legitimate journalistic investigative work, and really putting the hours in to make a great, informative product for gamers?

It’s all fucking press releases with snark, hot takes, anti-consumer sentiment, and thoroughly unsolicited political opinions attached. This topic is just the latest example.

It’s time to stop caring, and just enjoy games again. We all got hooked on gaming media, because in the 90s and 2000s, it was great, staffed with talented, passionate, charismatic individuals, and a blast to follow. But that party is long over.

Last edited:
I barely even register that there is a gaming media anymore.

I just browse Gaf, a tolerable subreddit or two, and watch games or channels I like on YouTube. A few aggregate news sources with no opinion writing to be found to top it all off.

Outside of Schrier, who I still question, who out there is doing legitimate journalistic investigative work, and really putting the hours in to make a great, informative product for gamers?

It’s all fucking press releases with snark, hot takes, anti-consumer sentiment, and thoroughly unsolicited political opinions attached. This topic is just the latest example.

It’s time to stop caring, and just enjoy games again. We all got hooked on gaming media, because in the 90s and 2000s, it was great, staffed with talented, passionate, charismatic individuals, and a blast to follow. But that party is long over, and it’s time to leave.

Oh yeah 100% Total Biscuit was probably the last real gaming journalist we ever had who actually fought for consumer rights.

No one else will ever come close to that. Sid Alpha is pretty great but outside of that, your right. The party died a long time ago.

I miss the days of 90s and early 00s gaming mags.

Outlets like Kinda Funny make me so angry because they have single handily destroyed proper gaming journalism. Such a shame.

jakinov

Not a huge fan of Greg Miller so never watched. I used to listen to him on the IGN PlayStation podcast and he seemed like a very bias PlayStation fanboy so I never cared much for opinion and never found his little skits or whatever very funny.

Saber

Gold Member
I feel like most of them are stupid versions of "Do Contra".

Do Contra, also know as Nick Nope, is a character from Monica's Gang that is aways against anything you or people likes. It doesn't matter how stupid it is or if he likes it for real or not, he will aways be the opposite of what people like.

The same is happening nowadays. They're against others just for the sake of wanting to be different.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Havent watch their show for a long time so i cant really speak up my mind regarding this subject

You must be more specific op about the topic( about which episode/story of them that really annoys you)

Not all of us here watch and follows kinda funny

Ban Puncher

2644702-9175347318-Brown.gif

TLZ

Banned
Does anyone else feel this way? I absolutely can not stand how they are always being corporate apologists and defending anti consumer practices.

It's really fucking awful. I don't think I've ever seen as bad corporate cock sucking in the gaming media as Kinda Funny. It actually disgusts me some times.

Why don't they grow a pair of balls and actually behave like real journalists and stand up for consumer rights?

At this point they make IGN look like angels and that's really saying something!

What does Gaf think about them? Why all the corporate cock sucking? It's shameless!
Colin, is that you?

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Stopped watching KF shortly after Colin left. Miller comesoff as a blowhard while Tim barely knows anything. It's like they stopped doing research on anything because when I watched them, I knew more then they did which completely baffles me. Plus of course, they refer to their audience as their "best friends" and for those people, I feel very sorry for them.

This so much, I can watch official trailers and make my opinion for myself - many of these guys don't know much to begin with (I always though Greg was there to provide comic relief and Colin was there for the substance).

Either way, I stopped watching KF before Colin left, then learned he was leaving. I tried to watch it once of twice after Colin left, but I felt those left had nothing to stand on, and I still don't get why Greg Miller was the gaming media personality of the year a couple of years ago... and somehow not Colin?

Then I learned about what happened when Colin did his interview (some of it anyway) - What a good friend Greg must have been, at the first sign of "trouble" he let you down hard - by trouble I meant some people typing mean things on Twitter.

Zannegan

They're hype artists trying desperately to stay sweet with the companies that give them access while also carrying a large enough fanbase to keep their Patreon account plump. It's a difficult balancing act to pull off and an understandably difficult position to be in, but that doesn't make their output any less annoying. The star wars segment was just sad.

Colin (irritating as he is on his own) provided some much needed ballast to their group. Now that he's gone they're wobbling like crazy. They'll fall off that tightrope eventually, unless Greg has the sense to hop off the unicycle and fall into some cushy PR job first. It would be his dream to actually be on stage as part of Sony's team during E3, and he might well get it, TBH.

I apologize in advance for the metaphors. Apparently I'm feeling poetic today.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Greg is kinda like the Jimmy Fallon of the gaming media, everything feels too exaggerated and borderline fake with him.

Reactions: Fbh

Petrae

“Kinda Funny” is like an expansion of GameStop TV. Corporate ballwashing masqueraded as being “enthusiasts”. Greg Miller is perhaps the most unapologetic shill out there. He’ll pimp any shit and pretend that he’s interested for a fee.

It’ll be interesting to see how SJW extraordinaire Imran “Oops, I Got Laid Off!” Khan fares at a corporate apologist website and how much of a leash he’ll have to shit on half the potential audience.

Mikey Jr.

Honestly, part of their income relies on doing stuff for the big publishers.

So hosting the EA conference, doing the Square Enix FF15 reveal, the Borderlands 3 reveal stream, Guild Wars 2 stream, etc etc.

So yeah, if you're looking for objectivity, probably best to look elsewhere.

zkorejo

Stopped following them after Collin Moriarty left. He was the only person I agreed with and he kept it all balanced.

Last thing I watched anything related to Kinda Funny was their Red Dead Redemption 2 review/impressions.. Now I dont even check them out occasionally.

C4lukin2

Banned
I think they are fine at what they do.

They do not pretend to be journalists. They just talk about shit they are interested in, and sometimes that equates to a paid opportunity.

Not a big fan, but I see nothing nefarious in the entertainment they provide.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’ve always felt like I have gamed long enough to not require a comic relief, especially gaming related comedy. I laughed when G4 did it, but the stuff that makes up the game(s) media today just isn’t all that great.

I watched the Greg guy talk about Persona 5 at GameStop during a segment on their TV. It reminded me of a time back in high school where this guy and his friends were the “gamers”, but I never wanted to talk to them about what was coming out. Sometimes the humor escapes me. Yet they are around when something actually happens in the industry, so I guess it is what it is.

Stopped watching KF shortly after Colin left. Miller comesoff as a blowhard while Tim barely knows anything. It's like they stopped doing research on anything because when I watched them, I knew more then they did which completely baffles me. Plus of course, they refer to their audience as their "best friends" and for those people, I feel very sorry for them.
This. I didn't listen to these guys from the start, but they seem so clueless. Jared Petty was the best and only good thing about it. He has actual knowledge of the games and development. I like his replacement too, but the rest of the crew made a career out of having loud voices.

Animagic

Banned
I’m not into media talking heads anywhere. Games “journalists” are literally fake news.

I used to listen to retronauts before they couldn’t resist getting political in their retro game podcast. Greg’s style on the other hand never worked for me.

In his defense nearly the entire game journalism and media industry are corporate shills.

Last edited:
Top Bottom