• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games represents the very worst that Gaming media has to offer

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I've never been. A huge fan of Kinda Funny and stopped watching all together when Colin left. But they are not journalists. And nothing they do should be considered anything close to what real journalism should be.

D3SCHA1N

Can't say I was ever a fan of any of them and only ever saw any of their content in passing. After all that drama with colin I saw some clips of his joe rogan appearance and maybe watched a small handful of his vids when he started his own thing but I never really cared for any of that crew and honestly was happy to see them leave ign, even though ign are total trash as well anyway. it kinda sucks that there really isn't any gaming websites anymore that are worth paying attention to, i end up just getting my news from forums & reddit now ...

bosnianpie

I used to watch them quite a lot before Colin left, when that happend I started to drift towards other shows (CLS). I think it was partly fatigue aswell because they had so much content and I used to let it run in the background. Colin leaving just helped me jump ship.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I never followed them over from IGN. I tried. I think I listened to the first Kinda funny podcast or two, but I was out after that. Not my thing. So, I can’t really comment on the current situation, but I can imagine it quite easily.

I don’t really like Colin Moriarty. I think he’s an arrogant pseudo-intellectual and an immature fanboy, but I respect him for speaking his mind and sticking to his guns. The way Greg Miller handled that situation ensured that whatever slim chance there was of me ever consuming any future content from Greg was snuffed out.

He is practically non-existent in my world.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I never followed them over from IGN. I tried. I think I listened to the first Kinda funny podcast or two, but I was out after that. Not my thing. So, I can’t really comment on the current situation, but I can imagine it quite easily.

I don’t really like Colin Moriarty. I think he’s an arrogant pseudo-intellectual and an immature fanboy, but I respect him for speaking his mind and sticking to his guns. The way Greg Miller handled that situation ensured that whatever slim chance there was of me ever consuming any future content from Greg was snuffed out.

He is practically non-existent in my world.
What if I told you I was actually Greg Miller?

Then I would tell you that I think you are annoying and weak as piss. That I am quite fond of your GAF persona though.

Also, you are disgustingly fat as fuck and need a tan, like yesterday.
Well sadly this showed how small minded you are and not that bright,instead of pointing something constructive you went for body shaming ,yet the guy has a good life,money and a beautiful wife.

ROMhack

Calling something fat, fat, is not shaming, it is reality.

You want constructive? Start exercising and eat better food, fatty. It’ll do wonders for you.

Agreed but I wonder, is this an Aussie thing? Certainly all the Aussies I see around London are in great shape.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Agreed but I wonder, is this an Aussie thing? Certainly all the Aussies I see around London are in great shape.
Not really. We have our share of overweight people. It’s quite bad in general at the moment too. That’s what the statistics say, anyway.

I don’t go up to their face and call them “fatty fuck face”. I just don’t like when someone on the internet tries to tell me to ignore reality. Greg Miller looks like wobbly jelly. Reality.

Reactions: TLZ

ROMhack

Not really. We have our share of overweight people. It’s quite bad in general at the moment too. That’s what the statistics say, anyway.

I don’t go up to their face and call them “fatty fuck face”. I just don’t like when someone on the internet tries to tell me to ignore reality. Greg Miller looks like wobbly jelly. Reality.

It's probably just a certain type of person then. Like, I see quite a lot of them walking around in their Aussie rules vests.

Ogbert

Colin was the only worthwhile thing about it, and even he was a bit of a Sony pony.

They're just awful now. Lame, virtual signalling shills. And Greg's high pitched, permanently excited voice is the most irritating thing known to man.

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It's probably just a certain type of person then. Like, I see quite a lot of them walking around in their Aussie rules vests.
Really? Lol. That would be considered quite unfashionable and bogan (redneck) here. Walking around in an aussie rules guernsey, I mean.

You came out of your closet with fire today. You ok?

Roufianos

Well sadly this showed how small minded you are and not that bright,instead of pointing something constructive you went for body shaming ,yet the guy has a good life,money and a beautiful wife.

Yea exactly. The guy has everything, a super easy life, and yet can't even be bothered to do an hour of exercise or eat right.

Fenris Wolf

I really don't like Greg Miller at all. His act is so unreal and i prefer to keep him away from my tweeter feed.
The only real gentlemen of this business imo are NoClip guys. They really deserve more attention than KF/Kotaku and others similar.

arvz

Neo Member
Hi guys! I'm a bit of a gaf lurker, I visit daily, but almost never post or reply. More importantly, I'm a Kinda Funny best friend (that's what we call the fan base!). Before you say "get outta here id107", I'd like to provide some perspective from the other side, after all, a healthy and balanced discussion requires views from all sides, right?

I absolutely can not stand how they are always being corporate apologists and defending anti consumer practices.

I can certainly understand how you may feel that way. Obviously gamers have a right to be angry for a lot of the things that companies like EA are doing, so whenever someone tries to defend those companies for anything, it can seem like they're taking sides. Having said that, my general feeling on the KF crew is that they take a balanced view on the consumers vs corporate debate - and it IS a debate! gamers aren't always right about everything, and the KF crew are in a unique position where they are close to a lot of the people who run the corporate side of things, but they're also gamers first and foremost, giving them again - a balanced overview of situations. It's true that KF often works directly with publishers, like the EA thing at E3 this year. If you feel that that compromises their views, you have every right to feel that, and they even take great care on games daily and gamescast to let everyone know of that fact and that you should "Take their opinion with a grain of salt". This doesn't mean their opinions got bought, this means they are being upfront with you of the facts.

After the completely unacceptable way they treated Colin for his harmless tweet, I forever boycotted them. I will never support Greg Miller or KF again.
Then I learned about what happened when Colin did his interview (some of it anyway) - What a good friend Greg must have been, at the first sign of "trouble" he let you down hard - by trouble I meant some people typing mean things on Twitter.

The Colin fiasco has been discussed to death already, but again, I'd like to offer another perspective on that situation. I believe mistakes were made on both sides, but that ultimately the events began with Colin's action.

Imagine you and your best friend are in business together. Your best friend likes to tweet some very controversial things, of the political nature and sometimes provocative nature, which has the very unfortunate side effect of alienating the fans, which causes them to leave. This leads to some negative PR and is generally a bad look for the business, but you're best friends, and you ask him to please mind the fact that whether he likes it or not, his tweets do represent himself, and he represents the company. He says ok, but ultimately continues to do this over and over again. One day, your friend tweets something that is far worse than anything he's ever tweeted before, and this causes a huge avalanche of negative PR for the company. Add to this fact your friend has actually been very unhappy with the way the direction the company is heading. So he leaves the company, and you go your own separate ways. Your company is now free to move in the direction that you and your colleagues want, and your friend also ends up thriving in his own business. You're disappointed by this outcome, but you're even more disappointed that your best friend chose to prioritize his freedom of speech over the well being of your business which you both worked so hard for, together. This, I feel is the sentiment that I don't often see. Everyone's really quick to say that Greg betrayed Colin by not standing up for him, but no one seems to realise that Colin betrayed Greg first.

I've never been. A huge fan of Kinda Funny and stopped watching all together when Colin left. But they are not journalists. And nothing they do should be considered anything close to what real journalism should be.
Absolutely 100% correct, they are not journalists, and Greg often even says that himself.

They're hype artists trying desperately to stay sweet with the companies that give them access while also carrying a large enough fanbase to keep their Patreon account plump. It's a difficult balancing act to pull off and an understandably difficult position to be in, but that doesn't make their output any less annoying. The star wars segment was just sad.
Again, here's another perspective: This is how you run a business. Can you imagine running a business where you literally just shit on every company? How are you ever going to get anyone to work with you ever? They're just as quick to say "wtf EA" as they are to say "gamers please chill", you're right, it is a balance, but it's not an act. It's them giving their honest opinion without going overboard.

Vawn

Banned
Everyone's really quick to say that Greg betrayed Colin by not standing up for him, but no one seems to realise that Colin betrayed Greg first.

By tweeting "A Day Without Women - ahh peace and quiet".???

GTFO with this. All the shit they did to him over that stupid, harmless tweet. No, I don't care for Greg Miller or your super, happy KF friends club.

Your company is now free to move in the direction that you and your colleagues want, and your friend also ends up thriving in his own business. You're disappointed by this outcome, but you're even more disappointed that your best friend chose to prioritize his freedom of speech over the well being of your business which you both worked so hard for, together. This, I feel is the sentiment that I don't often see. Everyone's really quick to say that Greg betrayed Colin by not standing up for him, but no one seems to realise that Colin betrayed Greg first.
That would work if Colin's political comments were actually "controversial", they all mostly are to your political opponents, Colin is a pretty tame libertarian type conservative who made what considers a bad joke (I though it was funny). Anyway, he was depressive at that time, this was obvious if you watched their content back then he was not himself, that may not have helped his handling of his side of the situation as well, add to this what seems to be the social pressure from others in the gaming press (maybe the industry as a whole) who seem to equate conservative and pure evil. The inability of Greg to stand by his decision to start the business with Colin, when Colin had not changed his ways shows an apparent lack of spine.

For all we know Colin could have gained them some traction with many people that are disaffected with the corporate gaming media. On the other hand, if you look at Kinda Funy Game's social blade score they do not seem to do bad for themselves, the channel grows at a steady pace and they are present at every games show, they score big interviews, etc. Colin gets kicked out of speaking opportunities because they get threats of violence, probably limiting the rise of his own media venture.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

V4skunk

Banned
Gaming media these days is just a stepping stone into the fake news msm.
Most of the "journalists" are leftist SJW's indoctrinated at university.

Last edited:

Shifty

I only really knew about Kinda Funny / Greg Miller from his appearances as an influencer or whatever the term is in this case. Dude always seemed positive and enthusiastic to the point of seeming fake.

And not to be That Guy and drag up old shit, but does anyone have a link to what went down after this infamous tweet? It sounds like Colin got thrown under the bus big time.

Zannegan

Again, here's another perspective: This is how you run a business. Can you imagine running a business where you literally just shit on every company? How are you ever going to get anyone to work with you ever? They're just as quick to say "wtf EA" as they are to say "gamers please chill", you're right, it is a balance, but it's not an act. It's them giving their honest opinion without going overboard.
At the risk of sounding hostile, which I'm not, no shit. Of course you can't run a business by shitting on every company. Call me crazy, but I believe that there's a middle ground between (frankly, ineffective) hype man status, and total hostility. I also believe you can be mostly positive (gameXplain, Spawn Wave), or openly hostile (Yahtzee Croshaw), or anything in-between without being obnoxious, and that is where Kinda Funny is falling down.

My point wasn't that it was an act, so much as that they aren't doing a good job of it. I don't need to hear vitriol to feel they're being honest, and positivity doesn't strike me as inherently false. That said, I was watching Greg Miller for years before he split from IGN, and he's never been more fake, hollow, and constantly "hyped" than he is today. As I said, the Star Wars segment was actually painful to watch (as a former fan).

But, like I also said in the beginning, I'm not hostile to your point of view, I just don't share it. I'm glad you enjoy their content and count yourself a friend of the show, and I'd like to do you the courtesy of thinking you can hold that opinion without being a gormless nitwit. I would appreciate the same courtesy in return though.

I know that Kinda Funny must have fans, or they wouldn't still be afloat. My perspective remains that they are doing an awful job, and are running chiefly on previously built-up momentum. Greg will either jump ship or go down with it, and at this point I honestly don't care all that much which he chooses, as long as I don't have to watch.

Last edited:

Mikey Jr.

The worst thing about the Greg-Colin thing is that Greg doesn't even want to see Colin outside of the show. Like, not even as a friend for coffee.

Fake

People talking about 'fat' culture, but has nothing to do with appearance. It's about healthy care.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
At worst, Colin's tweet just wasn't funny. It was meh, a shrug and you move on with the rest of your day. Greg made the entire situation far worse than it actually was because WTF posts an entire one page message in response to it? That's ridiculous. It's all about loyalty, honor, respect, appreciation and gratitude. All of which Greg has none. He's literally a sell out. Also, Colin was there when he had cancer and going through chemo plus before E3 2018, Colin reached out to Greg if he wanted to do something together for the event (most likely the PlayStation showcase) and Greg said no. Some fucking friend he turned out to be. I'm not a violent person whatsoever but if I was Colin, I would have knocked Greg the fuck out without a second thought because honestly, he would deserve just that.

CJY

Banned
To use a term that has been popularised in recent years (I'm not sure where it comes from)... Greg is a garbage human being.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't they basically a for-hire media company? They don't pretend to be impartial journalists, do they?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t pay attention to those opportunist cowards. No integrity.

The show was getting annoying towards the end of Colin being there, especially with the Tim Gettys meltdowns every time nobody agreed with him.

How they did their “friend” dirty made ignoring them completely, so much easier. Can’t respect hacks.

Last edited:

decisions

I was a huge KF fan and Beyond listener. Over time, the content became worse as some people in the company seemed to believe that becoming hyper-sanitized with positivity about the industry and clearly manufactured excitement was better than the honesty the company began with.

Clearly, Colin was the outlier against this and the Tweet served as a scapegoat for them to unofficially force him to resign. He’s better off for it though as SS is one of the best gaming podcasts going. The way KF handled that situation ensured they will never get support from me again.

It’s amazing how much Greg changed over the years. Clear example of the fame going to someone’s head.

Last edited:

Isa

I wouldn't say its the very worst that gaming media has to offer, but it certainly isn't good either. I used to listen for impressions and reviews and their other shows during my commutes from work, but after the Colin incident I tried to stick around but a few things just made me stop watching/listening. First is their knowledge of games and gaming, much of which they sorely lack. I know they're not journalists but some modicum of knowledge for the field in which they "specialize" would be appreciated. Second, the humor and attitudes were off-putting. Thirdly the slide towards pc-culture with Greg and especially Tim was obnoxious. I mentioned it some time ago and was asked to fetch the clip, but at one point Greg asked Tim's opinion on something and he said he had to check with what ReeeEra thought first. I wish I could stomach the act of searching for that moment but I just can't be arsed to suffer so.

And with that I no longer consume their content, as there are far better alternatives for gaming entertainment out in the ether. Other channels have far more knowledge, passion, and talent which cover a much greater scope. With time being so precious, why bother with mediocrity? ACG, YellowSuperNintendo, Tarks Gauntlet, ThorHighHeels, Top Hat Gaming Man, Censored Gaming, Clemps, DrCullenPHD, Erik Landon RPG, Games of War for nostalgia, Gammalad, Jay RPG, Jrpg Jungle, LGR, Nitro Rad, Otaku Overdrive, Pelvic Gaming, Radical Reggie, Ranton, Robin Gaming, ShadowEliteHD, Super Derek RPGs, The Sphere Hunter and countless more offer what they do but in a vastly superior manner. And hell, Colin's Last Stand and Sacred Symbols is quality stuff as well. On a similar vein I find Andrea's show with her friends is ok, if a bit long. The blonde lady is quite knowledgeable and fun to listen to. But I digress. I don't mind hype but prefer there to be genuine passion from people who like me are going to be buying and playing the games rather than someone who is payed to generate hype.

MagnesG

Banned
Just want to add Tim may have low knowledge on PS4 and Xbox stuffs, but he's the champion in Nintendo's content. He has strong opinions all around and would voice it with convincing narratives most of the time. Greg's initial voice is annoying, but looks like recently he's more laid back and doing it's own thing on the back, and likely having fun doing so. He's onto Pokemon Go for example now. Gary Whitta is crushing it every time he's on the show, mostly on Wednesdays. He's the balance that the show needs from being full on corporate apologists. Andrea's gonna Andrea.

I'm so not down on Imran joining in though. Obnoxious cocksucker from the start.

Their daily shows are kinda boring unless there's news (which they would discuss seriously, barring occasional "woke" bullshit), make sense I think. Reviews and impressions are just okay, not much of honest input when there's corporate shilling for their Xbox and Sony's stuffs. Ninty's games are good though, they get critical most of the time, especially fanboy Tim. He's the first one to shit on bad Nintendo games, so good stuffs for getting feedback.

Party Mode and let's plays are the jam for me personally. Some recent notable episodes:

I get that the animosities from Colin's leaving are warranted (and should be), but I'm not sure we can dismiss that easy what they are doing here. They have to walk on thin ice to support the show, to keep it alive, pleasing both corporate and consumers. At least I can applaud their effort for that.

And with that I no longer consume their content, as there are far better alternatives for gaming entertainment out in the ether. Other channels have far more knowledge, passion, and talent which cover a much greater scope. With time being so precious, why bother with mediocrity? ACG, YellowSuperNintendo, Tarks Gauntlet, ThorHighHeels, Top Hat Gaming Man, Censored Gaming, Clemps, DrCullenPHD, Erik Landon RPG, Games of War for nostalgia, Gammalad, Jay RPG, Jrpg Jungle, LGR, Nitro Rad, Otaku Overdrive, Pelvic Gaming, Radical Reggie, Ranton, Robin Gaming, ShadowEliteHD, Super Derek RPGs, The Sphere Hunter and countless more offer what they do but in a vastly superior manner. And hell, Colin's Last Stand and Sacred Symbols is quality stuff as well. On a similar vein I find Andrea's show with her friends is ok, if a bit long. The blonde lady is quite knowledgeable and fun to listen to. But I digress. I don't mind hype but prefer there to be genuine passion from people who like me are going to be buying and playing the games rather than someone who is payed to generate hype.
One show that you can recommend the most? Preferably long podcasts in general.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

I barely even register that there is a gaming media anymore.

I just browse Gaf, a tolerable subreddit or two, and watch games or channels I like on YouTube. A few aggregate news sources with no opinion writing to be found to top it all off.

Outside of Schrier, who I still question, who out there is doing legitimate journalistic investigative work, and really putting the hours in to make a great, informative product for gamers?

It’s all fucking press releases with snark, hot takes, anti-consumer sentiment, and thoroughly unsolicited political opinions attached. This topic is just the latest example.

It’s time to stop caring, and just enjoy games again. We all got hooked on gaming media, because in the 90s and 2000s, it was great, staffed with talented, passionate, charismatic individuals, and a blast to follow. But that party is long over.
Oh yeah 100% Total Biscuit was probably the last real gaming journalist we ever had who actually fought for consumer rights.

No one else will ever come close to that. Sid Alpha is pretty great but outside of that, your right. The party died a long time ago.

I miss the days of 90s and early 00s gaming mags.

Outlets like Kinda Funny make me so angry because they have single handily destroyed proper gaming journalism. Such a shame.
I’m not into media talking heads anywhere. Games “journalists” are literally fake news.

I used to listen to retronauts before they couldn’t resist getting political in their retro game podcast. Greg’s style on the other hand never worked for me.

In his defense nearly the entire game journalism and media industry are corporate shills.
Fellas Fellas I'm disappointed to hear how few people are aware of the Easy Allies. These guys are truly the best in the Biz. They were the old Gametrailers crew that reformed into Easy Allies after Gametrailers was shut down. They started 3 Years ago and gaming would not be as enjoyable if I hadn't discovered them I implore you to give them a try. They are very passionate, lots of fun, and they make some of the best gaming content on the internet. These guys deserve sooo much more attention and authority than Kinda Funny.

(...)

Outside of Schrier, who I still question, who out there is doing legitimate journalistic investigative work, and really putting the hours in to make a great, informative product for gamers?

(...)

Sophia Narwitz for one and the Nichegamer website. Both have more integrity than the mainstream gaming media.

“Kinda Funny” is like an expansion of GameStop TV. Corporate ballwashing masqueraded as being “enthusiasts”. Greg Miller is perhaps the most unapologetic shill out there. He’ll pimp any shit and pretend that he’s interested for a fee.

It’ll be interesting to see how SJW extraordinaire Imran “Oops, I Got Laid Off!” Khan fares at a corporate apologist website and how much of a leash he’ll have to shit on half the potential audience.

Really puts some things into perspective.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
The route Kinda Funny took and the route Sacred Symbols is on settles the debate over whether Colin or Greg was really the better pundit.

If Kinda Funny had put Colin in charge, they'd be Giant Bomb level big by now.

Roufianos

Fellas Fellas I'm disappointed to hear how few people are aware of the Easy Allies. These guys are truly the best in the Biz. They were the old Gametrailers crew that reformed into Easy Allies after Gametrailers was shut down. They started 3 Years ago and gaming would not be as enjoyable if I hadn't discovered them I implore you to give them a try. They are very passionate, lots of fun, and they make some of the best gaming content on the internet. These guys deserve sooo much more attention and authority than Kinda Funny.

Yea, I'd definitely reccomend them over Kinda Funny.

Their reviews, Frame Trap and Friend Code are great. The podcast is so crammed though, with all the games and corrections and ads, you barely get 45 mins of content.

That and they're increasingly inserting wokeness into it.

Yes! How could I forget Easy Allies! Their game reviews are excellent and I can't remember the guys name but what an excellent voice and review style!

Also their investigation pieces into myths and legends of video games are just absolutely fascinating and really well researched. Here's a good one:

So yes! Thanks for the reminder!

TLZ

Banned
Hi guys! I'm a bit of a gaf lurker, I visit daily, but almost never post or reply. More importantly, I'm a Kinda Funny best friend (that's what we call the fan base!). Before you say "get outta here id107", I'd like to provide some perspective from the other side, after all, a healthy and balanced discussion requires views from all sides, right?

I can certainly understand how you may feel that way. Obviously gamers have a right to be angry for a lot of the things that companies like EA are doing, so whenever someone tries to defend those companies for anything, it can seem like they're taking sides. Having said that, my general feeling on the KF crew is that they take a balanced view on the consumers vs corporate debate - and it IS a debate! gamers aren't always right about everything, and the KF crew are in a unique position where they are close to a lot of the people who run the corporate side of things, but they're also gamers first and foremost, giving them again - a balanced overview of situations. It's true that KF often works directly with publishers, like the EA thing at E3 this year. If you feel that that compromises their views, you have every right to feel that, and they even take great care on games daily and gamescast to let everyone know of that fact and that you should "Take their opinion with a grain of salt". This doesn't mean their opinions got bought, this means they are being upfront with you of the facts.

The Colin fiasco has been discussed to death already, but again, I'd like to offer another perspective on that situation. I believe mistakes were made on both sides, but that ultimately the events began with Colin's action.

Imagine you and your best friend are in business together. Your best friend likes to tweet some very controversial things, of the political nature and sometimes provocative nature, which has the very unfortunate side effect of alienating the fans, which causes them to leave. This leads to some negative PR and is generally a bad look for the business, but you're best friends, and you ask him to please mind the fact that whether he likes it or not, his tweets do represent himself, and he represents the company. He says ok, but ultimately continues to do this over and over again. One day, your friend tweets something that is far worse than anything he's ever tweeted before, and this causes a huge avalanche of negative PR for the company. Add to this fact your friend has actually been very unhappy with the way the direction the company is heading. So he leaves the company, and you go your own separate ways. Your company is now free to move in the direction that you and your colleagues want, and your friend also ends up thriving in his own business. You're disappointed by this outcome, but you're even more disappointed that your best friend chose to prioritize his freedom of speech over the well being of your business which you both worked so hard for, together. This, I feel is the sentiment that I don't often see. Everyone's really quick to say that Greg betrayed Colin by not standing up for him, but no one seems to realise that Colin betrayed Greg first.

Absolutely 100% correct, they are not journalists, and Greg often even says that himself.

Man. All you did was describe shilling in many, many words.

You can create an honest business by being honest and respectful. You don't have to shill and act like someone you aren't. People can spot fakeness. They're not stupid.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Yes! How could I forget Easy Allies! Their game reviews are excellent and I can't remember the guys name but what an excellent voice and review style!

Also their investigation pieces into myths and legends of video games are just absolutely fascinating and really well researched. Here's a good one:

So yes! Thanks for the reminder!

They do create some great stuff sometimes but I'm just not up for the 2 hours or more videos they keep releasing. I prefer these smaller videos and when they are together for the conferences.

Last edited:
Top Bottom