• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games represents the very worst that Gaming media has to offer

The Alien

Banned
Cant say I'm overly familiar so cant say how this site is specifically different than all the other access, shill websites.

The best revenge for something u dont like: Stop visiting the site...stop sending traffic their way.

Animagic

Banned
Fellas Fellas I'm disappointed to hear how few people are aware of the Easy Allies. These guys are truly the best in the Biz. They were the old Gametrailers crew that reformed into Easy Allies after Gametrailers was shut down. They started 3 Years ago and gaming would not be as enjoyable if I hadn't discovered them I implore you to give them a try. They are very passionate, lots of fun, and they make some of the best gaming content on the internet. These guys deserve sooo much more attention and authority than Kinda Funny.

Thanks I’ll check them out

Cactuarman

Banned
As someone who grew up reading Nintendo Power I don't really mind an always-positive content source. It's not like they're trying to pretend like they're something else.

I don't really frequent Kinda Funny too much, and I loved the Greg/Colin dynamic back on Beyond. But I don't really understand why Kinda Funny is the "very worst" of gaming media.

KiNeMz

Banned
Yep. He appears on the recent daily show, told his sob sob brap story then he joined in (pity invite I think). Dude still act clueless about people hating him.

Birds of a feather.
I have no issue with KF being where they are and doing what they do. This is what I consider diversity. A diversity in content options. They have a place and an audience. Im happy for that to exist even though its not of my tastes. The market will decide inevitibly as it does to all business.

MayauMiao

As someone who grew up reading Nintendo Power I don't really mind an always-positive content source. It's not like they're trying to pretend like they're something else.

I don't really frequent Kinda Funny too much, and I loved the Greg/Colin dynamic back on Beyond. But I don't really understand why Kinda Funny is the "very worst" of gaming media.

I think the "very worst" comes from old fans who enjoyed KFG when Colin was still there and when he left the show felt completely different. While Greg is always hype positive it can get annoying but Colin was there keep Greg grounded.

Judging by KFG recent ass kissing of EA, it seems the show has been on a downhill.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
To me it feels like they think they come off as enthusiastic and genuine and then half the time it feels very half ass.

Like if you want to just be a general media company and cover games then do that. But don't try to sell yourself as die hards of everything.

Whenever they review any kinda e3 or press event they always complain about what WASN'T there and it's just like...

Yeah that's a die hard gamer right there. Bitching about the games they aren't getting and not the ones they are.

SpiceRacz

Super Derek RPGs

source.gif

I stopped following Kinda Funny a year ago main reasoning is Gregs god awful personality that has inflated beyond belief, then he brought I think his wife on the show and I just could not listen to the generic opinions anymore.

Colin was definitely the scale balancing that made the group work. He was the only one I followed on Twitter after the fact too.

IGNs Podcast Beyond is still fun to listen to. I regularly catch Game Informer stuff as well as it's the most down to earth and listenable for work. Then I was pretty big on Easy A for a minute.

Last edited:

Fbh

I think most people who put themselves out there in such a public way put on a persona. The thing is, to some it comes naturally and they are able to do so in a believable way, while others will instantly come across as fake. From what little I've seen of them, Greg just seems to be a part of the latter group.

So I've never really understood their success. Looking at their youtube page they don't do reviews, or any sort of "shows" or journalistic work. Seems to be mostly some not particularly likeable people sitting at a table talking about the latest gaming news

Keihart

As a Beyond! fan i have to agree, Beyond! was great, amazing podcast. KFG never was good, the mood changed and without Colin it became a circle jerk where no one is informed on the topics and because Greg doesn't have anyone who challenges his stances.
Sacred Symbols is suffering something similar, while that podcast feels more wholesome due to Colin's more nuanced comments, his co-host is hardly on his level and also feels like most of the time there is no meaningfull discussion.
I have to say that from this whole Game Journos Exodus that happened, the better channels are Easy Allies because how much effort they put in the content and Funhaus, because Funhaus is like constant comedy with games as a background.

Edit:
I think most people who put themselves out there in such a public way put on a persona. The thing is, to some it comes naturally and they are able to do so in a believable way, while others will instantly come across as fake. From what little I've seen of them, Greg just seems to be a part of the latter group.

So I've never really understood their success. Looking at their youtube page they don't do reviews, or any sort of "shows" or journalistic work. Seems to be mostly some not particularly likeable people sitting at a table talking about the latest gaming news

It wasn't always as jarring IMHO

Also, let's not forget that up at noon was actually good, kinda miss those days tbh:

Last edited:

joe_zazen

As a Beyond! fan i have to agree, Beyond! was great, amazing podcast. KFG never was good, the mood changed and without Colin it became a circle jerk where no one is informed on the topics and because Greg doesn't have anyone who challenges his stances.
Sacred Symbols is suffering something similar, while that podcast feels more wholesome due to Colin's more nuanced comments, his co-host is hardly on his level and also feels like most of the time there is no meaningfull discussion.
I have to say that from this whole Game Journos Exodus that happened, the better channels are Easy Allies because how much effort they put in the content and Funhaus, because Funhaus is like constant comedy with games as a background.

Colin and greg worked so well together, prob my favourite podcast duo. But separate, they are so boring.

Daring7

Neo Member
They’re fine, but I listen/watch their non gaming stuff really.

Nick and Andy are the ones.

It’s very rare i read or listen to any gaming media these days apart from maybe PS blogcast.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I think Colin's a lot better off without Greg, Sacred Symbols is the best podcast he's done.

Chris is actually funny unlike Greg who, like a 5-year old, thinks that shouting is the key to humour.

Everyone is better off without Emmeric... I mean Greg. Nobody wants to find a knife unexpectedly plunged in their back.

I think you're right about Colin and Chris, the only problem I have is that Chris seems like more of an Xbox and possibly PC guy. That may balance Colins enthusiasm for PlayStation but he seems not to be as knowledgeable about PS history, studios, execs and platform details...

But the show gets better all the time and Chris will get there, i'm sure. He seems like a nice guy too, which is important.

Top Bottom