• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kinda pissed off with Sony's attitude towards Europe

Sweep14

Why is everyone so surprised about €80 games? I know it sucks and it's bullshit, but games in Europe have been €70 for years now, both digitally and in some/most retailers.
If the US price is going to increase from $60 to $70, the EU increase from €70 to €80 was also bound to happen.
To clarify, I'm not saying the outrageous game prices in the EU are justified, I'm just saying they're not surprising.

I remember paying 490 French Francs in 1986 at my local retail shop for a C64 Disk game called Leader Board Golf by Access Software

490 FF/6.55957 = 74,70 Euros... not even taking inflation into account here...

Gunship from Microprose the same year was a true bargain at 420 FF (around 64€)...

chonga

Yeah this is a logistical issue due to covid. It's self explanatory really.

I don't think they're being dismissive of 50% of their audience.
I'm glad that COVID has reduced the gap to just one week vs. previous generations.

Hopefully if the second wave continues we'll get it at the same time come November.

Ar¢tos

Let Muricans get the first faulty units and test the console for us.
80€ is shitty, but I only buy games during sales, so it doesn't affect me.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Out of the three big markets, Europe always gets Sony consoles last, so this isn't exactly suprising. One week is nothing, really. When PS4 launched it was 2 weeks, PS3 4 months, PS2 almost 9 months and PS1 almost a year.

This. People are just looking for something to complain about.

Dodkrake

Banned
I can promise you sony gives no fucks about mexico and canada either. they just get it because they are so close to the U.S which is THE biggest market.

europe also has some pretty stupid laws that make importing stuff very expensive. u.s does not.

I'd be interested in knowing how a market with 320M people is bigger than a market with 570M (if you only count the EU)

Relativ9

I'm mostly annoyed at the availability of the Digital only version here, it seems to be completely out of stock everywhere, while the disc version is still available for pre-order.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Digital games were already 70€ most of the time, but 60€ in stores so... will physical games cost 70€? Or also 80€?

Eitherway it's a bold move, I wonder how this will affect their sales specially in poor countries.

Ar¢tos

Are you getting the Digital Edition? If so, I've got some bad news for you.
I'm getting the digital edition sometime next year. I have a big wishlist of ps4 titles waiting for them to reach acceptable prices on sales, so even if PS5 titles aren't much cheaper, I can still enjoy the ps4 titles improved via BC (my ps4 is base edition, not Pro).
I can wait years for the right game price if I have to, gaming is a secondary hobby for me.

makaveli60

Digital games were already 70€ most of the time, but 60€ in stores so... will physical games cost 70€? Or also 80€?

Eitherway it's a bold move, I wonder how this will affect their sales specially in poor countries.
Physical will also cost 80 €. As I said, Demon's Souls in my country will cost 50% (!) more in retail than a PS4 game costs currently.

Arkam

A global pandemic is still happening that nearly cost us the launch entirely and we are crying over a week lag for some markets? WOW!!! Get some damn perspective. millions of people are still out of work and we are crying over 7 extra days to play games. Sad. Back in the day we would have to wait months (if not years) for consoles to go to markets outside of Japan.

Komatsu

I think Mexico actually buys more shit than (individual) European countries.

There are only 3 countries in the entire EU that spend more on gaming than Mexico.

It’s a very big market, not as big as Canada or Brazil, but still important.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'd be interested in knowing how a market with 320M people is bigger than a market with 570M (if you only count the EU)
But do those 570 million people buy double the number of consoles as NA?

Also, i dont think your numbers are correct. the u.s alone has 330 million people. canada is around 30 million. mexico is 126 million. so you are looking at roughly 500 million people.

xrnzaaas

Having to wait a week isn't a huge deal (although it's still a message that it's a less important market for Sony right now), but the price hikes for the games are inexcusable. I'm definitely not going to pay 80€ for a brand new first party game, even for something like God of War 2.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
PS3 was launched 4 months later in Europe than in the US.
PS4 was launched two weeks later in Europe if i remember correctly. Now it's only a week. No big deal.

Games are already at 70€ in Europe for years. But that include the 20% (on average) VAT, same for consoles price.
However it's very easy to buy physical copies day one of AAA games at 50-60€ (at least in France but i'm pretty sure mostly everywere) in many retails.
So now it's 80€, it sucks but we'll still be able to buy physical 10-20€ cheaper day one (and much less some weeks after).

Unknown?

We pay the most for both the Console and the games, we get the system a week later.Even little markets like Mexico get it before Europe I mean WTF?

I have mine pre-ordered,but I'm still unsure weather I want to go ahead with it. I'd at least hope Sony has a change of mind and moves the EU launch with the rest of the world.
So you'd rather them not have enough stock like seemingly everywhere else?

sobaka770

Banned
It was the same last generation, Sony knows Europe is a done market and can delay the release cause nobody will rush to get Seris X even with 9 day differential. They are more concerned for their share in USA.

As for pricing, US prices never have tax in them so the end diffence is less than you think. Case in point 70USD game with tax can get close to 80USD.

Javthusiast

Banned
Yeah europe gets fucked on these prices. New games here were already 69.99 €. Now with the price increase they are fucking 80€.

deeptech

What's with the thing that you must have it the second it releases? There's plenty of time to buy it and play

Alebrije

We pay the most for both the Console and the games, we get the system a week later.Even little markets like Mexico get it before Europe I mean WTF?

I have mine pre-ordered,but I'm still unsure weather I want to go ahead with it. I'd at least hope Sony has a change of mind and moves the EU launch with the rest of the world.

Mexico got it because is near to the USA and we share retailers like Amazon and Best buy beside others.

But also represents a big market right now. The PS5 was put in preorder today and on a few hours went sold out.

The problem in Europe is that besides Germany , France and UK (maybe Spain ) the rest are smaller markes compared to Mexico.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
I don't know about other countries but in Germany 19% of that is actually taxes (aka theft) to feed the parasites like politicians, pensioners and foreign welfare recipients (often criminals).
Fuuuuuuuuck.

GiJoint

Being from New Zealand I did find it a little funny that we are November 12th along with the US. I’ll have my hands on my PS5 before most because of the Timezone difference as well ha. :messenger_smirking:

But on topic, it’s only a week bro, just a week, and if you look at PlayStation launches of the past we aren’t waiting for months after to get a release. Just relax ffs.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

no its not

epB3QrG.png

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it always like this, or even worse? I remember reading magazines back in '07 and the cover story was something like "the ps3 finally arrives in Europe a month after the US". Obviously it seems stupid now seeing that you can overnight a package from one end of the world to another.

Top Bottom