• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Underwhelmed by the Graphics on God of War Ragnarock!

imissweed

Banned
Really...there's nothing to look forward to when it comes to the sequel because it's not built from the ground up for PS5? Wolverine and Spiderman 2 all the way despite not even seeing anything of those games yet? Sony only cares about money? If you think there's a huge company like Sony out there that doesn't I have bad news for you.

Come on dude. Am I even talking to an adult here?

They've spent years creating the game and its engine for PS4 God of War. You think they're just gonna throw that and all of its assets away after one game? PS4 owners will purchase the sequel in the millions as well as PS5. They're maximizing sales potential by not leaving the literally millions of PS4 owners that can't get a PS5 due to supply constraints. Even without supply issues it would be dumb to leave all those with a PS4 out to dry. Everybody wins except for selfish you.
Thumbs up! I am 37 years old. Fine argument I'm going to cry myself a river of tears for the poor ps4 players that didn't go out of there way like I did and buy a PS5 from a scalper.

I believe you have convinced me that yes it indeed was built for ps4 and that's fine and you're right it makes sense financially for sony to use those assets again.

I think I just need to accept that this game isn't what I imagined it would be. It is a ps4 game. The scalability of their graphics engine for PS5 is probably still being worked in, after all there is no release date so obviously its still firmly in development.

I dont know when I became a graphics slut I just have I guess. I need therapy I think I will find a place where I only look at ugly things and try my best to appreciate them. I guess its time to buy a switch!!! 30 fps and sloppy textures for the win. I need help!!!

Help me somebody!!!

Thumbs up! I am 37 years old. Fine argument I'm going to cry myself a river of tears for the poor ps4 players that didn't go out of there way like I did and buy a PS5 from a scalper.

I believe you have convinced me that yes it indeed was built for ps4 and that's fine and you're right it makes sense financially for sony to use those assets again.

I think I just need to accept that this game isn't what I imagined it would be. It is a ps4 game. The scalability of their graphics engine for PS5 is probably still being worked in, after all there is no release date so obviously its still firmly in development.

I dont know when I became a graphics slut I just have I guess. I need therapy I think I will find a place where I only look at ugly things and try my best to appreciate them. I guess its time to buy a switch!!! 30 fps and sloppy textures for the win. I need help!!!

Help me somebody!!!
If you think the new God of War won't look great running on a PS5, despite not being built from the ground up for it, than maybe you do need help.

WellSheet

BOYYYYYY!

It's a brand new formula for the series. You are probably going to get this recipe for another couple of games at least.
I totally agree.

the series got a massive re-tool in 2018 - overwhelming successful re-tool - that kind of change isn’t going to occur again until, based on them saying this was the Norse Era’d closure, the NEXT god of war which will likely be 5+ years away after Ragnarok.

I do see validity In the perspective that Ragnarok looks/seems to play like more of 2018….but when 2018 was so good and nearly flawless….is that really bad? The interviews done with the new director also seem to have him indicating that Ragnarok is going to deepen and offer more choice and variance to all the systems in 2018. That has me cautiously excited…more isn’t always better. But, this team showed they’ve got what it takes with 2018.

mitchman

Gold Member
So this game is launching in, what, 6 months? It's not uncommon that graphics are improved during the time before release, if there is GPU headroom, and optimizations are being done to ensure there is headroom if needed.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I‘m underwhelmed not only because of the graphics but because it basically looks like the same game. You could make a custom trailer with scenes from both games and someone who doesn‘t know the first one would prolly think it‘s the same game - only the older kid would give it away.

They could have at least make it distinct with a different setting if they couldn‘t do it with the graphics.

Hunnybun

So this game is launching in, what, 6 months? It's not uncommon that graphics are improved during the time before release, if there is GPU headroom, and optimizations are being done to ensure there is headroom if needed.
Probably more like 9 months, if not longer.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Help me somebody!!!
PS5 will look better. It'll go something like this:

PS4: 1080/30
Pro: 1080/60 or 1440/30
PS5: 4k/60

93xfan

Banned
I'd love to hear examples of cross-gen games where the results of the effort ended up better than God of War or Horizon Forbidden West. The games that are showing their crossgen origins but still are some of the best looking games out. People have been telling me there is no effort required anyway.

Forbidden West DOES fall into this category. Forza Horizon 2 is another great example (and likely 5 will be as well). Battlefield 4 and Far Cry 4.

It’s all about what platform is targeted.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Despite all hate because of reasons, Deathloop does look next-gen. The scale of the scenarios is massive. I also though that GoW looks good. The mains issue with the game visual is that a lot of things on screen indeed look like being re-used assets with added snow/ice on top of it.
That might be true for Midgard. The other 8 areas will need a lot of work from scratch. And they all look a lot better than Midgard from what we've seen

I've always said snow environments are probably the worst to show off graphics. There's not much you can do creatively. Snow will look like snow

Yoboman

I‘m underwhelmed not only because of the graphics but because it basically looks like the same game. You could make a custom trailer with scenes from both games and someone who doesn‘t know the first one would prolly think it‘s the same game - only the older kid would give it away.

They could have at least make it distinct with a different setting if they couldn‘t do it with the graphics.
Only one of the settings they showed in the trailer is from the first game and its vastly different than how it was then

Top Bottom