• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect creators say technology supports only two players at a time

I expected as much, although processing the body movements of four people at the same time sounds insane in itself.

I suppose this will affect the Kinect port of Buzz!...
sigh-_-

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
That seems fine to me. Who has enough space in their room to fit 4 people comfortably in the cameras viewing area while standing?

NYR said:
Just a general comment. Hardcore gamers (e.g. - GAF) are finding so much wrong with Kinect but what they keep failing to realize is they are not the target market for this product, not even close. Of course a traditional gamer is going to find something wrong with something that is not a traditional way of playing games, that is exactly what Kinect is.
If you think only allowing 2 players at once is not an issue for casual gamers you haven't met any. Ditto for sitting down.

Penguin

Ignis Fatuus said:
If you think only allowing 2 players at once is not an issue for casual gamers you haven't met any. Ditto for sitting down.

See, I could see not being able to patch games to be a non-issue.
I could see not sitting down as a semi-issue.

But limiting it to 2 players I can see as a huge deal breaker.
Especially when it comes to games that look like would be better with 4 people or so.

freddy

Banned
It's amazing to me that with all the journalists saying this will be a great for the family that noone has questioned how many players the thing supports.

NYR said:
Just a general comment. Hardcore gamers (e.g. - GAF) are finding so much wrong with Kinect but what they keep failing to realize is they are not the target market for this product, not even close. Of course a traditional gamer is going to find something wrong with something that is not a traditional way of playing games, that is exactly what Kinect is.

Eh... this is not people saying "Kinect is so stupid. Who wants to play that?" This is people pointing out that Kinect cannot do things it claims to do in promo videos.

I doubt this bad press will matter to the audience they are chasing with Kinect when all is said and done. I think it still has a chance to succeed with the same people who bought the Wii with little interest in video games because the technology is different enough from the Wii to maybe attract the same buyers. If the current Arcade SKU continues on after the redesign, Microsoft can bundle it with the Kinect with a very attractive price tag of around $200.

Ignis Fatuus said:

Even if it is an issue, how many of them will know about the limitations until after the fact?

It's kind of ridiculous that we have to find out stuff in this way just after E3 where the press was supposed to be evaluating the thing. Didn't anyone think to ask questions like this?

jgwhiteus

Penguin said:
I thought the Giant Bomb people said that the game only recognized the main dancer. People join in for fun, but aren't really picked up by the console.

I could be wrong.
That's what I thought too, or maybe I just got that impression from the E3 demonstration. In the infamous video of the guy dancing, the people in the back sit for the first part, but the screen still shows "backup dancers" - when the people actually stand up and dance later, the backup dancing goes on interrupted - so it's not like Kinect was recognizing new players coming in.

This might be overanalyzing it, since they might not have intended to demonstrate multiplayer mode (if there is one), and I thought it was a prerecorded demo so it wasn't going to sync up anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTYtH28esTg

superbank said:
That seems fine to me. Who has enough space in their room to fit 4 people comfortably in the cameras viewing area while standing?
Part of the problem, though, is that Kinect is trying to compete with the Wii, which very clearly does support four players standing side by side, including in dancing games (e.g. Just Dance 2) - that's the technical "advantage" of every player having their own Wiimote. Also, the stereotype of "casual" gamers is that they like social and party games - it's a bit harder to have a "party" game when only two people can participate at the same time vs. four, etc. So, if true, it's a disadvantage with the intended audience as well - piled on top of the other issues (sitting / standing limitation, cheaper price for Wii, overall library for Wii, etc.)

NYR

Ignis Fatuus said:
I know plenty of couples who play the Wii exclusively as a couple activity and only have 2 wiimotes. I think this would appeal to them.

Don't get me wrong, i think the 2 player limit is bullshit, but I am like 99.99999% of this board: not the target market. I don't think our expectations as "gamers" matters when it comes to casual tech for games. I honestly believe that.

beast786

Air Zombie Meat said:
It's kind of ridiculous that we have to find out stuff in this way just after E3 where the press was supposed to be evaluating the thing. Didn't anyone think to ask questions like this?

Sorry, I was too busy playing my new slim xbox 360.

J.K

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Oprah brings in a kinect and then tries to use it while sitting down.

Or if she gets audience volunteers to dance with her and send two of them back.

Honest question, does anyone think MS should have kept this down for another year or so and used it to launch the NextBox? Between this and the now confirmed information about use while sitting, it just seems like they don't quite have the tech where it should be. I know they have some time before launching but honestly they need this Camera in as many stores doing as many demos as possible to make sure they have customer confidence.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Even if it is an issue, how many of them will know about the limitations until after the fact?
A lot of them, no doubt, because Microsoft is conducting a shockingly dishonest marketing campaign. Make no mistake, I expect it to sell this holiday based on that alone. The question is, will a product that's all smoke-and-mirrors have any legs when people discover what they've bought?

NYR

Night_Trekker said:
Eh... this is not people saying "Kinect is so stupid. Who wants to play that?" This is people pointing out that Kinect cannot do things it claims to do in promo videos.
Good point. I was just taking the opportunity to make a general statement on casual gaming relative to threads like this. Your point is valid, though.

Gribbix

Vizion28 said:
So will this have people recant that Kinect is cheaper argument because you don't have to buy extra controllers?
Depends. The PS3 has a similar limitation with Move in that it can only support 2 players when using the complete Move set (i.e. no more than 2 sets of Move controller + Navigation controller). However it can support 4 players if the game only uses the Move controller and not the Navigation controller.

beast786

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I doubt this bad press will matter to the audience they are chasing with Kinect when all is said and done. I think it still has a chance to succeed with the same people who bought the Wii with little interest in video games because the technology is different enough from the Wii to maybe attract the same buyers. If the current Arcade SKU continues on after the redesign, Microsoft can bundle it with the Kinect with a very attractive price tag of around $200.

If they can do that with 200 bucks and a game. Then its going to give wii some competition.

beast786

Gribbix said:
Depends. The PS3 has a similar limitation with Move in that it can only support 2 players when using the complete Move set (i.e. no more than 2 sets of Move controller + Navigation controller). However it can support 4 players if the game only uses the Move controller and not the Navigation controller.

Link?

GhaleonEB

Kadey said:
So if the person is big enough to be the only person to fit into the camera sight then that would make it support only one player?
Well, if they're that big they won't be playing while standing up, so Kinect might not be their platform of choice.

DiscoJer

Magnus said:
Man, even if all these stories turn out to be debunked, this negative press can't be good for the damned thing. :lol

Maybe, but most people aren't going to see the negative press, since it seems confined to gamer news sites. Vs. glowing reports on mainstream sites that don't mention this...

noah111

Still Alive
I thought this was known a while back? Either way MS has been quite full of bullshit so I wouldn't be surprised. Why not just advertise it as is if you're that confident in the hardware? Jesus.

Lightning

Banned
Gribbix said:
Link? Because if true What the fuck Sony...

BobTheFork said:
Honest question, does anyone think MS should have kept this down for another year or so and used it to launch the NextBox? Between this and the now confirmed information about use while sitting, it just seems like they don't quite have the tech where it should be. I know they have some time before launching but honestly they need this Camera in as many stores doing as many demos as possible to make sure they have customer confidence.
I just spent the better part of the afternoon in the "can't sit down" thread making that exact argument. It's too late now though, they're in way too deep.

imail

Neo Member
I'm surprised at the people saying we're not the targeted market.

Don't you guys play wii when you have a party or friends over ?

For me at least, I play my wii once a month for the multiplayer experience only.
I also enjoy some casual experience with my casual friends from time to time.

If I bought kinect someday it won't be because I wanna play kinect Adventure alone, that's for sure.

Afrikan

this all being said, I'm sure it will have 4player games that are similar to the Eye Toy ones for the PS2......just might be $120 more expensive...

if not, then oh my......once again.

but seriously, why is this thing rumored to be $150 again.....there are hands on reports that there is obvious lag, and then there seems to be other problems.....why would it be so expensive? The Camera itself got gutted hardware wise...so why else is it expensive?

slit

Boy, the news for this fuckin thing just keeps getting better and better. They're trying to differentiate themselves to consumers with a different motion control mechanism, but in the end there just going to alienate them all.

Speevy

Banned
And it doesn't work with SDTVs.

And you can't be wearing the color pink.

And sandwiches will cause your movements to become inverted.

Gribbix

beast786 said:
Thanks. Great help.

But cant you do 3 player. One move and One Navi X 3 equal 6?
That's what I thought since the bluetooth spec supports up to 7 devices at once, but the Sony rep told them 2 sets of Move+Navigation controllers.

noah111

Still Alive
Gribbix said:
Can you give me a game that would realistically use 4 Moves + 4 Navs? Plus 4 Navs would equal 120 bucks alone, and 4 Moves is of course 200..

Seems silly to say it's a limitation because the PS3 can't detect EIGHT friggin bluetooth devices..

imail

Neo Member
Gribbix said:

FUCK, that leaves the wii with the most advanced motion controllers even after all this time.

Afrikan

Pai Pai Master said:
PS3 supports up to 7 bluetooth devices. It can't do 4 Move controllers and 4 sub-controllers.

just curious, are there any Wii Games that support 4 players on screen all using 4 Wiimotes and nunchucks?

I understand 4 Wiimotes....just like I understand 4 Moves.....but I don't remember 4 Wiimotes+nunchucks at the same time. Maybe Mario cart?

Gribbix said:
that's more of a technical limit though. the bluetooth spec supports 8 devices including the host. PS3 being the host means only 7 wireless things can connect and each Wand and Navigation controller is 1 thing.

beast786 said:
If they can do that with 200 bucks and a game. Then its going to give wii some competition.

My thoughts exactly. $200 may be a stretch, but I think it's achievable. Kinect itself is pre-selling for $150 right now. The Arcade bundle with two games is also $150, with a lot of retailers throwing in an additional $50 gift card. Think of all the first time Xbox owners you could gain with a $200 Kinect system. $249.99 and $299.99 are reasonable prices as well, but if I were going for the throat, I wouldn't be able to resist the $199.99 label.

Beth Cyra

Afrikan said:
just curious, are there any Wii Games that support 4 players on screen all using 4 Wiimotes and nunchucks?

I understand 4 Wiimotes....just like I understand 4 Moves.....but I don't remember 4 Wiimotes+nunchucks at the same time. Maybe Mario cart?

Yes, one of the best selling games on the platform, Mario Kart Wii.

unomas

Banned
Afrikan said:
but seriously, why is this thing rumored to be $150 again.....there are hands on reports that there is obvious lag, and then there seems to be other problems.....why would it be so expensive? The Camera itself got gutted hardware wise...so why else is it expensive?

Don Mattrick has said he knows the price that Microsoft are going to release Kinect for, and says that once released Sony will be in for a tough time.

Speaking in an interview on Gamestrailers TV the senior VP of interactive entertainment said:

“I know the price, I think you’re going to really like the price.”

Mattrick also added he feels that “it’s gonna be a tough holiday for Sony”.

“We sat through the other competitive press briefings and people were very pleased with our position. I like being at Microsoft this holiday.”

Why keep the price a secret then?

“We think we’re going to get more coverage.”

http://www.made2game.com/2010/06/19/mattrick-sony-in-for-tough-time-with-kinect/

DuckRacer

Afrikan said:

Smash Bros Brawl?

Afrikan said:

Wii Remote + Nunchuk is 1 device, the Nunchuk plugs into the Wii Remote and the Wii Remote sends the Nunchuk data over bluetooth.

JWong

Banned
Afrikan said:
is everyone going to have to edit their motion pricing wars lists.

so this might not be true anymore...

Kinect
4players = $150

PSmove
4players = Gazillion dollars..
Since the camera needs its own power source, your electricity bill will be bajagazillion dollars.

Top Bottom