• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect now supports finger tracking, body/clothing/object scanning on Xbox 360

Mr_Brit

Banned
Just shown off on Kinect Fun Labs on 360. They've finally delivered what they initially promised 2 years ago.

Gandie

The face/cloth/body tracking has to be fake. No way they can get the hair cut right with just one picture from the front.

LeadGandalf said:
The face/cloth/body tracking has to be fake. No way they can get the hair cut right with just one picture from the front.
According to them, it's live today. So, try it out?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mr_Brit said:
Just shown off on Kinect Fun Labs on 360. They've finally delivered what they initially promised 2 years ago.

That didn't seem like "proper" finger tracking the way we intend it. More like "hand shape" tracking or something. You'll hardly be able to play a virtual piano with this.

Mr_Brit

Banned
TTP said:
That didn't seem like "proper" finger tracking the way we intend it. More like "hand shape" tracking or something. You'll hardly be able to play a virtual piano with this.
Well the sensor was able to follow just the tip of his finger which does count as finger tracking.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
This was the only Kinect related thing in the conference that I really liked. It's a shame we will have to wait another year or more to see any of this implemented into retail games.

Willy Wanka said:
This was the only Kinect related thing in the conference that I really liked. It's a shame we will have to wait another year or more to see any of this implemented into retail games.

I thought the Ghost Recon stuff was pretty neat.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I hope that some of this goes open source as part of that whole "we want to embrace the community" thing they were on about a while ago. I've got ideas...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Mr_Brit said:
Well the sensor was able to follow just the tip of his finger which does count as finger tracking.

It seemed to me it was following his hand actually.

Can it only track fingers at once and not body and fingers? Thought he stopped "painting" made a gesture then used his body to move?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
smallios74 said:
Can it only track fingers at once and not body and fingers? Thought he stopped "painting" made a gesture then used his body to move?

I think it tracks the shape of the hand (not the actual finger movement) to the expense of other body parts tracking.

I guess this is the same tech allowing firing in Ghost Recon shooting range demo. Close hand (nothing) > Open hand (fire).

By proper finger tracking I mean something that would allow to fire by pulling an imaginary trigger. This is not that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
About time. This is why I bought a Kinect in the first place as the videos showed them scanning in a wheel, skateboard, etc.

Mista Koo

Willy Wanka said:
Indeed.

BJK

Mr_Brit said:

"Just the tip" is essential tech for Kinect penis scanning.

Dabanton

Is this working for anyone else i select it and it doesn't appear in my game-list when i go to library

EDIT:It's working now

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
smallios74 said:

It can track all, but separating fingers from far away is more difficult. He used clear gestures the camera can see and separate. Two fingers up vs. clenched fist / "triangle vs ball".

some hand tracking demo

You can extrapolate shapes from e.g. 2d images (like the whole arm and palm shape) and use the tip of that shape as the input device.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Maybe they could put these concepts into actual games instead of throwaway tech demos.

The Hermit

20090605.jpg

Dabanton

Scan your heads GAF it makes a quite disturbing sight seeing googly eyes on top of it.

You'll only be able to scan your cocks if your Kinect is low enough failing that stand on a chair

Medalion

Banned
Finger tracking eh...

good, cuz now the Kinect can sense when I am giving it the finger when it doesn't do what I want it to

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Can anyone with a Kinect try different ways to paint. One, two three fingers, separated fingers (V for victory, spread fingers), hand sideways. Where does it focus?

Top Bottom