• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect priced at $149 at Gamestop, Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc

Here is the breakdown:

$149.99 a la carte
$299.99 bundle with Arcade unit
$399.99 bundle with 360

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/xbox-kinect-gets-priced-149/

Engadget said:
Kinect is now listed on the retailer's website for $149.99. The page is dead if you try to click through from search results, so it looks like the listing may have gone up in error -- we'll see if this is the real price come November 4."

UPDATE: Walmart now has basically the same price at $149.96

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Project-Natal-Xbox-360-Xbox-360/13378144?sourceid=03724402931245916315

Amazon has it at $149 as well which pretty much confirms it.

Amazon - Kinects $149.99

Philthy

Unless this thing comes with the new slim console, way too much to ask.

I'll wait until it's in the bargain basket with Tony Hawk Ride and the HD-DVD player for $20.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
B'oh.

I would be buying it at launch @ $60, but pretty much every extra dollar added to that price drops my purchase intent a little bit lower. So you can imagine how I might feel about $149.99. Plus, it doesn't help that the games being sold with it are full price.

If the launch line up was a little more appealing to me, I would probably still go for it @ $100 but $150? It's very unlikely that I will buy it at that price, I'll wait for a drop or at least a few games that I really want to try.

Firewire

Banned
Snuggler said:
B'oh.

I would be buying it at launch @ $60, but pretty much every extra dollar added to that price drops my purchase intent a little bit lower. So you can imagine how I might feel about $149.99. Plus, it doesn't help that the games being sold with it are full price.

If the launch line up was a little more appealing to me, I would probably still go for it @ $100 but $150? It's very unlikely that I will buy it at that price, I'll wait for a drop or at least a few games that I really want to try.

Wait, the games they showed today (not packed in ones) are all $60 retail?

Seriously?

isny

napkin dispenser
inner-G said:
Wow, they're pricing their way out of relevance.

Casual's will still pick up a Wii instead.

How do they think they can market this to casual gamers at the high price tag?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
$149.99 a la carte
$399.99 bundle with 360

Okay, the Arcade Unit Bundle and regular unit are much more reasonably priced. The Arcade is currently $199 so an extra $100 for Kinect isn't so bad. The same goes for the current $299 model. Kinect might not be doomed after all!

ram

if its really 150usd than -->:lol and bundling with the arcade? after the slim announcement, i thought they finally scrapped the arcade unit.

I really do believe that Kinect has the potential to capture the expanded audience... but I think we all know from experience how important price is in these wars.

Good luck Microsoft.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Too much. The games haven't sold me on it yet. Although, I like the non-gaming applications they showed.

isny said:
Casual's will still pick up a Wii instead.

How do they think they can market this to casual gamers at the high price tag?
Because it's cheaper than a Wii and if you have 360 that's all you need to get setup, where as with a Wii you still need a few controllers and possible other attachments. I'm not saying it's not too expensive but it's not like this is going to define whether or not someone will get a Wii or Kinect.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Firewire said:
Wait, the games they showed today (not packed in ones) are all $60 retail?

Seriously?

Well, GAF is my source so take it for what it's worth but that is what I've heard.

I will now laugh derisively at the price of something I was never going to buy.
ha ha haha ha

If if a price does exist, then Pachter is wrong and they aren't still debating it. In that case why not tell people the price?

:lol I love my 360 but they're dooming Konect to failure at this price (I'm assuming £100 in the UK) there's no killer app that is going to push everyone into stores to pick it up for this price, needs to be closer to $69-79 (£50).

Subitai

Initially, I'd say this is bad and could end up being like the PS3. On the other hand, it could be like Wii where they could have started at $299 easily and made a lot more money. If is too high they can drop the price when they need to, if it is too low, that is profit they can never get back.

thirty

Banned
mods, topic rename to "gamestop prices kinect at $149 to make interest off of pre orders" please? MS hasn't announced anything. jesus people.

MedHead

Guitar Hero and Rock Band have sold well at or around this price, and the peripherals included in those packs are of little use in any games beyond those with which they were originally bundled. Move and Kinect both have the potential to be useful in a variety of ways, so the price seems pretty fair.

ReiGun

KittyKittyBangBang said:
Here is the breakdown:

$149.99 a la carte
$399.99 bundle with 360

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/xbox-kinect-gets-priced-149/
288tf06.gif

Damn it, Microsoft. Why won't you let me love this like I want to? :'(

inner-G

Banned
PTCoakley said:
Because it's cheaper than a Wii .
No, you can get a Wii for $149.

They're basically throwing in a 250gb and wi-fi to compete with the slim triple. Comparing those two though, you're missing Blu-Ray and free online multiplayer, which I'd guess are pretty huge draws for the 'casual' crowd. Not to mention that nothing they showed really had the broad appeal of 1st party nintendo stuff.

I have no interest in this (let alone the PS3 motion controller-or motion anything) but at this price it's being sent to die.

Additional accessories in general don't tend to sell well and ones with a price tag this high isn't going to get the market penetration they want.

Top Bottom