• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

Gowans

Here's a thread to highlight the reviews in one place and for critical discussion (positive & negative) as they come in for the platform and it's games.

MS Embargo ends on US Launch 12 AM Eastern/9 PM Pacific November 4th. (TONIGHT)

Post em as they come...

1401831-product_001_super.jpg

The Kintec Hardware Reviews:
- IGN - 7.5
- GameInformer - 8.0
- CVG - 8.8
- Destructoid
- Kotaku
- Engadet - 6/10
- NY Times
- Shacknews
- Arstechnica - Skip for now
- Wired - 7
- StrategyInformer - 9
- CNet - 7

The Kintect Software Reviews:

Kinect Adventures (Microsoft Game Studios)
Metacritic Link
- IGN - 6.5
- GameInformer - 7.5
- GameTrailers - 6.6
- Eurogamer - 6
- CVG - 6.3
- Destructoid - 6
- Kotaku

Kinectimals (Frontier Studio/Microsoft Game Studios)
Metacritic Link
- IGN - 7.0
- GameInformer - 8.0
- GameTrailers - 8.5
- Joystiq - 4/5
- Eurogamer - 7
- Kotaku

Kinect Joy Ride (Big Park/Microsoft Game Studios)
Metacritic Link
- IGN - 6.0
- GameInformer - 7.0
- Joystiq - 2.5/5
- Eurogamer - 5
- CVG - 5.3
- Videogamer.com - 6

Kinect Sports (Rare/Microsoft Game Studios)
Metacritic Link
- IGN - 8.0
- GameInformer - 8.0
- GameInformer - 5.75
- GameTrailers - 6.4
- Joystiq - 4/5
- Eurogamer - 7
- CVG - 7.9
- Destructoid - 6.5
- Kotaku

Dance Central (MTV Games)
Metacritic Link
- IGN - 8.0
- GameInformer - 8.75
- Joystiq - 4/5
- 1Up - A-
- Eurogamer - 8
- Videogamer.com - 8
- Destructoid - 8
- Kotakul

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved (Ubisoft)
Metacritic Link
- Joystiq - 3/5
- Destructoid - 8
- Kotaku Your Shape Fitness Evolved

Dance Masters (Konami) (Dance Dance Evolution in Europe)
Metacritic Link

Adrenalin Misfits (Konami) (Crossboard 7 in Europe)
Metacritic Link

Zumba Fitness (Majesco)
Metacritic Link

Sonic Free Riders (Sega)
Metacritic Link
- IGN Review - 7.5

The Biggest Loser: Ultimate Workout (THQ)
Metacritic Link

Fighters Uncaged (Ubisoft)
Metacritic Link
- Eurogamer - 2

MotionSports (Ubisoft)
Metacritic Link

Game Party: In Motion (Warner Bros.)
Metacritic Link

derFeef

PopcornMegaphone said:
I'm pleased the Sonic review didn't mention any lag.
I think it´s important to differentiate the hardware and the software. I also think this game is one of the few where you would not notice lag if there is one.

Gowans

expy said:
This should go into the OT even if it isn't positive.
Agreed but their are some guidelines for the OT that may dismiss some discussion that might be valuable.

This type of thread is nothing new, been done a few times in GAF for high profile releases.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, the OT should be for GAF impressions and discussions and this is good for media reviews. There will be a lot to talk about so two threads makes sense.

derFeef said:
I think it´s important to differentiate the hardware and the software. I also think this game is one of the few where you would not notice lag if there is one.

Well, once Kinect launches it's all about software in terms of lag.

Admittedly I've never played a Sonic Free Riders game, but I don't understand why you wouldn't notice lag in a game like this.

edit - yeah, it would make sense to lock this, but I think major titles like Dance Central should have their own thread.

Gowans

Empty said:
when does microsoft's embargo for kinect reviews end?
US release date I think, Midnight the 4th.

Anyway I was surprised by that IGN review the Giant Bomb Quicklook made this look like 100% shit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PSGames said:
And here we go. People can't stand to have a Kinect thread without any trolling allowed.

And yet posts like these are just as bad.

The thread will stay open so people curious can check the scores without having to sift through the main thread.

Seanspeed

Banned
The review of the Sonic game says its not 'pick-up' friendly, which is exactly what the target Kinect audience is going to expect. Its great that game is kinda good if you put some time into it to learn, but they're really gonna have do better than this if they expect Kinect to be attractive to any sort of audience.

Seanspeed said:
The review of the Sonic game says its not 'pick-up' friendly, which is exactly what the target Kinect audience is going to expect. Its great that game is kinda good if you put some time into it to learn, but they're really gonna have do better than this if they expect Kinect to be attractive to any sort of audience.

I agree.

Hah, Sega.

PSGames

Kagari said:
And yet posts like these are just as bad.

The thread will stay open so people curious can check the scores without having to sift through the main thread.

I'm all for a reviews thread but the OP's reasoning for creating this thread wasn't to be informative. He created it because "the OT is staying pretty positive". When in fact there have been tons of negative comments made in the OT just no trolling which is how it should be.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I like this thread because there is way too much info in the OT. The OT has discussions on technology, room setup, shipping & sales, contest & promotions, game features, interviews, etc. This thread will at least serve to document which are the best launch games according to media reviews.

Rhindle

Gowans007 said:
As the OT is staying pretty positive here's a thread to highlight the reviews and for critical discussion (positive & negative) as they come in for the platform and it's games.
not sure if serious

Garjon

expy said:
This should go into the OT even if it isn't positive.
It's pretty standard for any big games or gaming devices to get a review thread.

What are the review embargo dates for the other Kinect games? Are there any more exclusive reviews comig up?

gogojira

I had no idea Kinect launched on Thursday, that's disappointing. I've been looking forward to reading lots of reviews tonight, but I bet we'll only get a couple.

I really want to know how Kinect Sports is going to do. Ah well, couple more days I suppose.

REV 09

Seanspeed said:
The reviewer also said that this is the most fun that he has had with the series.

Majine

Banned
Banzaiaap said:
"Feeling soar? Take a break"

Uhh.. what? :lol
Atleast it doesn't halt the game in any way, and you can probably turn it off as you can with friend login notes.

qwerty2k

is anyone actually surprised at the sonic score? i mean they have it as an exclusive review...probably in agreement to score it highly.

(just realised that my avatar is probably going to do me no favours in this thread, i don't have a 360 but my brother-in-law does and im very excited to checkout kinect fwiw)

Shiggy

Don't want to make the game look worse than it is, but is it just me or does it look frustrating to control? It looks to me as if the game doesn't really react to the movements of the player.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So here are my predictions:

Dance Central
IGN: 9.5
Gamespot: 9.0
1up: A
"Breathes new life into a stalling genre."

Kinect Adventures
IGN: 8.0
Gamespot: 8.5
1up: B+
"Fun for the kids, and you might end up catching the bug yourself."

Kinect Sports
IGN: 7.5
Gamespot: 7.0
1up: C+
"The lesser of the sports brands on all three systems, Kinect Sports still provides a good amount of fun."

Deca (insert name)
IGN: 4.0
Gamespot: 3.0
1up: D

GavinGT said:
The very first Kinect game review and it's from IGN? This score is meaningless.

I have a feeling most of these Kinect reviews are going to be meaningless. I don't have much faith that any gaming journalist has figured out how to properly review casual games yet since they can barely handle reviewing traditional ones...

qwerty2k said:
is anyone actually surprised at the sonic score? i mean they have it as an exclusive review...probably in agreement to score it highly.

(just realised that my avatar is probably going to do me no favours in this thread, i don't have a 360 but my brother-in-law does and im very excited to checkout kinect fwiw)

Lol you're making a conspiracy out of a 7.5?

GavinGT said:
The very first Kinect game review and it's from IGN? This score is meaningless.

I agree, IGN is not very reliable. On the other hand, if the score was negative, I bet the thread would already be drowning in lulz.

PopcornMegaphone said:
Lol you're making a conspiracy out of a 7.5?

It's a Kinect game, of course a score like 7.5 constitutes a conspiracy.

My son will be happy get to get this for Christmas. This for the son, Kinectimals LE for the daughter. Fun times.

[Nintex]

GavinGT said:
7.5 seems like the lowest score they could give a game without sacrificing future exclusivity deals.
Because people are lining up for exclusivity deals of Sonic Team games right? :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
GavinGT said:
7.5 seems like the lowest score they could give a game without sacrificing future exclusivity deals.
It's Sega.

I'm sure IGN would be gutted about missing out on the Stormrise 2 exclusive.

GavinGT

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Because people are lining up for exclusivity deals of Sonic Team games right? :lol

I don't know, Sonic fans and IGN visitors probably overlap pretty well on the Venn diagram.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
PopcornMegaphone said:
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in a meeting where Team Sonic demands a 7.5 for rights to an exclusive early review.
"Here's the exclusive. We want a good review."
"Ok."
reviewsonickin.png

Disclaimer: I don't actually believe this. :p

GavinGT

Banned
PopcornMegaphone said:
I'd love to be a fly on the wall in a meeting where Team Sonic demands a 7.5 for rights to an exclusive early review.

I'm not saying they demanded it, I'm saying IGN might be intentionally lenient with certain scores to encourage publishers to give them exclusive review rights. They know IGN will pad the score, so they go to them first.

GavinGT said:
I'm not saying they demanded it, I'm saying IGN might be intentionally lenient with certain scores to encourage publishers to give them exclusive review rights. They know IGN will pad the score, so they go to them first.

Giving a 7.5 is an interesting way to encourage publishers.

Its-A-Conspiracy.jpg

REV 09 said:
Except that it was a positive review, but you can be negative.
the sonic series has been terrible for a long time, saying that it's the most fun he's had isn't really all that of a compliment. don't take offense, i'm glad he enjoyed Riders.

GavinGT

Banned
PopcornMegaphone said:
Giving a 7.5 is an interesting way to encourage publishers.

Its-A-Conspiracy.jpg

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy. I'm saying publishers want to come to IGN with these exclusive first-review deals because they tend to be lenient with those scores.

Top Bottom