• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect System & Game Review Thread [Update: Lots Of Reviews Post 223]

derFeef

I am sorry, DD, but there are some pretty low scores - especially for Joy Ride. Those scores seems consistent (low) enough that I would never come to your conclusion.

So joyride doesn't work if you sit down? you would think the game only requires your torso and arms, sounds rather fucked up to me.

derFeef

Diablohead said:
So joyride doesn't work if you sit down? you would think the game only requires your torso and arms, sounds rather fucked up to me.
The game needs you to lean sideways/backwards and even spin to do tricks.

derFeef said:
I am sorry, DD, but there are some pretty low scores - especially for Joy Ride. Those scores seems consistent (low) enough that I would never come to your conclusion.

Well, i was not talking exactly as if the notes were higher or lower, more about the lack of variety of the notes, without people being very hater or very lover and all people having a very similar opinion. But then I just saw the Fighter Uncaged Eurogamer review.

Hanmik

hmmm .. just wondering.. will Kinect games not take a lot longer to make a Video Review for..? I mean, if they do a decent review, they will show both player and on screen action, just like that Italian Gaffers (TTP I guess his name is) does for Move games..?

Castor Krieg said:
Can't wait to read the inevitable article how some kids tried to pat a tiger in some zoo. :lol
I'm actually anticipating some stories about how people have fractured their ankles on a jump or how they have broken something else when falling or running into something or someone. Two players can, at times, be a little scary when movements are running wide. No different than Move in this regard, but Move was only about the hands and arms, not the whole body moving in persistent volumetric space across games and activities. Then there's the possibility that someone who is not in the best of shape will suffer a heart attack or something.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I've seen comparisons of Joyride with Mario Kart, but isn't it more comparable to Excite Trucks?

Dynoro

Hanmik said:
hmmm .. just wondering.. will Kinect games not take a lot longer to make a Video Review for..? I mean, if they do a decent review, they will show both player and on screen action, just like that Italian Gaffers (TTP I guess his name is) does for Move games..?
Giantbomb have done previews (and even live events) with picture in picture for Kinect and Move so I can't see this being an issue

Hanmik

Dynoro said:
Giantbomb have done previews (and even live events) with picture in picture for Kinect and Move so I can't see this being an issue

not saying it´s an issue.. more that it is more time consuming.

I was able to play Joyride while sitting down in the beta. I had to get it to recognize me by standing up but one it did, I could sit down. It seemed to work fine.

Another thing for people who are getting Joyride. A ruler or a plate make a pretty good steering wheel.

Hanmik

snoopeasystreet said:
Another thing for people who are getting Joyride. A ruler or a plate make a pretty good steering wheel.

Bu... bu... but you are the controller..?
axgwb8.gif

Amir0x said:
He still says there is lag. Just it didn't bother him and he wouldn't let it bother him.

For the more critical minded, that's not a choice.
i think it'd be fairer to say: for the more lag sensitive that's not a choice.

quickwhips said:
I thought review scores don't matter?
as far as sales go, they probably don't. but no reason we here at gaf can't read the reviews and laugh if we're that way inclined, or make informed purchases based on them if we're not.

or in the case of that fighter's uncaged review from Eurogamer, i think we can all laugh.

Acheteedo

Decent launch, shaping up to be a casual hit. I'm still on the fence though, need some sit-compatible games to surface before getting one.

modulaire

I LOVE Dance Central, Adventures is ok/a bit short, the kids love Kinectimals. Not sure if we should buy Fitness Evolved.

I'm really not that interested in the other games at the moment - hopefully there will be better products in the next few months. I'm surprised the launch games are so short and don't have much variety. Only 6 mini-games in Kinect Sports?!?!

zigg

marc^o^ said:
I've seen comparisons of Joyride with Mario Kart, but isn't it more comparable to Excite Trucks?

I thought that when I saw it at E3 too. The thought piqued my interest pretty considerably.

gofreak said:
So far I'm pleasantly surprised by the Kinect Sports reviews, but slightly surprised that Dance Central isn't reviewing better. I thought it would be a '9' game.
It seems like to me it's going to do for the dancing genre what Guitar Hero did for rhythm games (in the west, at least). But at the same time it's about at the same level as the original Guitar Hero in terms of content and when it comes to rhythm games we're given a shit ton of features now in the likes of Rock Band 3. A dozen more songs and a couple of new modes probably would have pushed it to that 9. Oh and the same video/picture saving features seen in Kinect Sports and Adventures. Dance Central would easily make the best use of those.

DC aside, reviews are about what I expected. Sports and Kinectimals being standout games with an average of around 7/10 and Joy Ride being the weakest.

Big One

Banned
Hanmik said:
Wow...I don't mean to sound hyperbolic here but the lag on this is abyssmal.

I thought Kinect was just laggy at the E3 showings because the footage was pre-shot and/or it was still in work.

But this looks no different than what we've been seeing at E3.

I know the Wiimote has problems with calibration sometimes, but I've never really experienced lag as shown in that video.

To be fair we're probably going to get some good games for Kinect, but right now? Yeah, no.

Lag was a so extended prejudice about kinect that people are tending to see (and suffer) it even if it's non existant or hardly noticeable. But we can't rule our feelings :D

zigg said:
I thought that when I saw it at E3 too. The thought piqued my interest pretty considerably.
Trying it out at the Toronto midnight launch, I was very tempted to get it, decided against it because I've already got Dance Central and Kinectimals. I'm sure tons of review ragged on a racing game that doesn't have precise control, but I was still having plenty of fun with it.

The steering is fairly loose, but what everyone does is just oversteer. It really requires a level of finess similar to how ExciteTruck worked back in the day. :lol I still haven't seen this mythical demo of JoyRide on Kinect Adventures. I might try it and decide whether I'll plop down another $50 for another game. :lol

Rad-

Btw has any review talked about online play (or anyone here tried it)? I remember at least Kinect Sports has online versus.

Lighting Gels said:
Lag was a so extended prejudice about kinect that people are tending to see (and suffer) it even if it's non existant or hardly noticeable. But we can't rule our feelings :D
When I'm watching people play, yes, it's clear. When I'm playing it, the difference feels smaller, and you know to better anticipate the required input.

AlphaTwo00 said:
When I'm watching people play, yes, it's clear. When I'm playing it, the difference feels smaller, and you know to better anticipate the required input.
I think that this is true of all highly-filtered and interpreted interfaces, like Move and Wii and now, Kinect. There is always a greater sense of the lag when watching others play it versus actually playing it for some time yourself when you've adjusted (rather naturally) for the control timing...really not all that different to a lot of different traditional game timing if you look at animations and recovery and time spent adjusting view in addition to normal game input lag and display lag. Good games will also take the timing into consideration so it can tend to feel perfect when you're really into it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some mainstream-y reviews:

CNN:

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/11/03/kinect.video.game/

The bottom line

I didn't get to test out the 11 other games that Microsoft says will use the new controller. But my experience with the initial six titles shows where Kinect will shine and where it will stumble.

Games that feature full-body movement make best use of what Kinect can offer. Syncing up your movements with the movements on the screen is a lot easier and more natural with Kinect than with a normal controller.

But games that would be better enhanced with a physical device in hand feel flat. On Kinect, they're just not up to the demands that players make from those types of games. You will probably not enjoy racing games and first-person shooter games as much with Kinect that you do with regular controllers.

Is it worth it? That may depend on whether you have kids -- and what kind of gamer you are.

Washington Post:

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2010/11/xbox_kinect.html

CNET - 4/5

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/game-controllers/microsoft-xbox-360-kinect-review-50000560/

+Fantastic fun
+Simple, accessible gameplay
+Easy set-up
+Impressive motion-tracking technology

-Demands plenty of space
-Tracking is often glitchy
-Two player maximum at launch
-Expensive

Videogamer.com has some game reviews up now too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, current Metacritic rankings:

Dance Central - 83
Sports - 78
Kinectimals - 76
(Sonic Free Riders - No metacritic average, average of two listed reviews is 66)
Adventures - 65
(Your Shape - No metacritic average, only listed review is 60)
Joyride - 58
(Adrenalin Misfits - No metacritic average, only listed review is 50)
(Fighters Uncaged - No metacritic average, only listed review is 20)

onken

InaudibleWhispa said:
It seems like to me it's going to do for the dancing genre what Guitar Hero did for rhythm games (in the west, at least). But at the same time it's about at the same level as the original Guitar Hero in terms of content and when it comes to rhythm games we're given a shit ton of features now in the likes of Rock Band 3. A dozen more songs and a couple of new modes probably would have pushed it to that 9. Oh and the same video/picture saving features seen in Kinect Sports and Adventures. Dance Central would easily make the best use of those.

Uh, Just Dance?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
InaudibleWhispa said:
In terms of quality, not sales.
Just Dance 2 is a quality title. It lacks a full "learn to dance" mode, but the tracklist, choregraphies and multiplayer mode have nothing to envy to Dance Central. It's less serious, it's just dance.

REV 09

Stumpokapow said:
So, current Metacritic rankings:

Dance Central - 83
Sports - 78
Kinectimals - 76
(Sonic Free Riders - No metacritic average, average of two listed reviews is 66)
Adventures - 65
(Your Shape - No metacritic average, only listed review is 60)
Joyride - 58
(Adrenalin Misfits - No metacritic average, only listed review is 50)
(Fighters Uncaged - No metacritic average, only listed review is 20)
Destructoid gave Your Shape an 8. I'm not sure how they're viewed on the aggregate scale though, but I think Metacritic includes them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
REV 09 said:
Destructoid gave Your Shape an 8. I'm not sure how they're viewed on the aggregate scale though, but I think Metacritic includes them.

Yeah, sometimes it takes a day or two for stuff to filter through to Metacritic. I'm sure they'll show up soon enough.

marc^o^ said:
Just Dance 2 is a quality title. It lacks a full "learn to dance" mode, but the tracklist, choregraphies and multiplayer mode have nothing to envy to Dance Central. It's less serious, it's just dance.
Maybe it is, I haven't experienced it, but in terms of gameplay and presentation, Dance Central looks like the next step to me.

swerve

InaudibleWhispa said:
Maybe it is, I haven't experienced it, but in terms of gameplay and presentation, Dance Central looks like the next step to me.

I can't wait to play it, but personally the fact that it's always got to wait until the end of a phrase to award you points, due to the lag, is frustrating. Having the accuracy of a controller in your hand will win for me, in terms of feedback.

swerve said:
I can't wait to play it, but personally the fact that it's always got to wait until the end of a phrase to award you points, due to the lag, is frustrating. Having the accuracy of a controller in your hand will win for me, in terms of feedback.
you get feedback constantly though, the red outlines on any body part that isn't performing accurately doesn't need to wait for anything.

it doesn't wait to rewards points because of lag, it's just breaking things down into phrases, the same as kareoke game.

Top Bottom