• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

Anyone taking part in this? I had only heard about it just now

Nations-Blog-Header-Image.jpg

I wanted to remind everyone that this weekend is a Free Gold Weekend for European Xbox LIVE members. That means Xbox LIVE Free members will have access to features normally reserved for Gold Members….PLUS EVERYONE* can help make a Guinness World record attempt through Kinect Sports this Saturday, April 23rd.

Marking a free weekend of entertainment on Xbox LIVE, dubbed Xbox Nations, Kinect Sports players around the globe will join together and attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the ‘largest online 100m sprint’ at 1pm ET on Saturday, April 23. (Find out what time in your region) Players can participate by jumping on Xbox LIVE, firing up Kinect Sports, and running a 100-meter dash event at 1pm ET. Each and every runner will be rewarded with an exclusive Xbox and Guinness World Record Avatar t-shirt

Remember, Join in the fun at 1p ET/10a PT/6p GMT

http://majornelson.com/2011/04/21/free-xbox-live-weekend-and-be-a-part-of-a-world-record-attempt/

Psychotext said:
I wont be at home, but I probably would have if I was. :)

Yeah, I would like to be involved but it's 4am Sunday morning my time and I don't think the neighbours in the apartment downstairs would appreciate me doing the 100m dash.

We'll see I guess :p

Bread

Banned
Didn't say anything for me either, I'm not sure if it is supposed to though. I bet they will just check to see who ran a race at 1 pm to give the avatar shirt/get the world record count.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
CyReN said:
Is it worth $60 used?

Kinect? Hell yes! Already enough compelling software (if you like multi-player/playing with friends) to justify the $150 price tag IMO.

And I'm pretty sure you will agree that you need one after E3. ;)

Ran the dash at 1:04pm. Hope I got in on time.
Edit: BTW, did a great yourshape workout last night. Sure I could just buy "6 minute abs" but this is much more fun.

Raide

CitizenCope said:
Ran the dash at 1:04pm. Hope I got in on time.
Edit: BTW, did a great yourshape workout last night. Sure I could just buy "6 minute abs" but this is much more fun.

I am enjoying Your Shape. I like the variety of work-outs that are available, plus it really does give you a good work-out.

Anyone know if there are any good UK bargains on Dance Central?

Doffen

The Culture Vulture said:
Did the sprint as well, nothing popped up. Hopefully we'll get the shirt later.
Microsoft:
We will be giving out the world record T-shirts after the weekend to everyone that takes part, look out for the email in the week after the event. The T-shirt will be exclusive for those that take part, make sure you don’t miss out on yours by taking part at 6pm on the 23rd April. You’ll also need to register by downloading the world record gamerpic – go to the dash and select the ‘World Record attempt’ slot on the dash to download the pic.

Oh you know what I downloaded the gamerpic on my non kinect 360 hard drive. No shirt for me. Oh well I raised my heart rate for a bit so that's good. =/

goMaki

I hope the Sprint event counts at least for a minute afterwards. The game loaded so slowly in the beginning that I didn't start my sprint until 10:01 a.m.

CitizenCope said:
Oh you know what I downloaded the gamerpic on my non kinect 360 hard drive. No shirt for me. Oh well I raised my heart rate for a bit so that's good. =/
Maybe it doesn't matter, like it might only look to see that your account has downloaded it.

fin

So I just got back from a vacation in Las Vegas. I was having supper and I over-heard a conversation about Kinect. This dude was telling everyone at his table what his team was working on.

-They "finally" got object scanning working. "Hold up this salt shaker and it's scanned into the game"

-Avatar making software. Scan yourself to make an avatar. Not sure if it will be a the cartoonish approximation or just a full-out scan. But I remember it turns out "bumpy"

-Interactive books and learning software. He spent a lot of time on this one. Children read through story's, word for word. As they progress through the story, it plays out around them on screen allowing them to interact with it. They can stop at a word and 'sound it out' by walking across the word/sentence. Words and sentences "fly all around the children" "very magical" etc.

That's about all I remember, I was working on a good drunk... I was this close to turning around and asking:
"What's going on with Steel Battalion?"

TheOddOne

fin said:
-Interactive books and learning software. He spent a lot of time on this one. Children read through story's, word for word. As they progress through the story, it plays out around them on screen allowing them to interact with it. They can stop at a word and 'sound it out' by walking across the word/sentence. Words and sentences "fly all around the children" "very magical" etc.
This sounds awesome.

Alx

fin said:
So I just got back from a vacation in Las Vegas. I was having supper and I over-heard a conversation about Kinect. This dude was telling everyone at his table what his team was working on.

-They "finally" got object scanning working. "Hold up this salt shaker and it's scanned into the game"

That's nice. I wonder if something as small as a salt shaker could actually be scanned though. Kinect is not really precise with fine details (and if it's made of glass, the contours could go crazy).

Can't wait for E3. :) (too bad I'll be on holiday during the conference and probably won't see the conference before a few days...)

Oh, and the book reading application is a great idea, too.

fin said:

-Avatar making software. Scan yourself to make an avatar. Not sure if it will be a the cartoonish approximation or just a full-out scan. But I remember it turns out "bumpy"

That's about all I remember, I was working on a good drunk... I was this close to turning around and asking:
Interesting...

parasight

All of that would be very interesting if true. The last one in particular needs to happen even if it is just bullshit, because it sounds like a really ingenious idea.

onQ123

fin said:

I have video footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3en2qJYBP8

not really but it has

Object Scanning - I can use anything as a weapon

Interactive Book - it puts you into a comic book

Auto Avatar Creation - I am the Avatar lol

Pachimari

Oh boy, I just went through Sports Island Freedom (Deca Sports Freedom), what a hassle *suk*... what a control nightmare.

Thinking of picking up review copies of Dr. Kawashima and Carnival Games: In Action - just wanna have something to play on Kinect. Tiger Woods 12 is supporting Kinect, yea?

onQ123

Kafel said:
your funny

edit : PSGames >> he's trolling, don't even reply his bullshit

so I'm trolling kinect with my kinect in my hand?

you people need to lighten up.

if anything it shows that all of that can be done with kinect even better because it has depth sensing

GhaleonEB

Got Kinectamals for my kids for an Easter present. My daughter has been playing for 45 minutes, but she's actually 'played' for about 10, a couple of mini games throwing things and teaching a few tricks. The rest has been videos, explanations, loading scenes, transitions, and so on.

For the first game, throwing the tennis ball, the ball appears in your right hand. My daughter is left handed, and we couldn't change it, so needless to say she couldn't aim it well. Bit of fail there, Microsoft.

The game seems from first blush to be a mess of segmented menus and loading screens. It takes way to long to find something to do.

Edit: absolutely none of the voice commands work. And it can't see my daughter when she crouches or lies down. She's flopping all over the room shouting at her pet, but nothing works.
Instead of a fun, simple and cute game we get an endless tutorial that constantly interrupts, too many menu options popping up all the time, and broken voice and gesture commands. A truly terrible first experience. Everyone is frustrated and angry.

Alx

onQ123 said:
if anything it shows that all of that can be done with kinect even better because it has depth sensing

It doesn't show anything since the "features" you consider equivalent are non-existent in your example. The game doesn't even try to do them.

There is no object scanning, since the game doesn't even "know" there is an object (that's why you can play with any object as a weapon actually : it can't tell a book from an arm or a leg).
There is no interactive book since you don't read anything (which is quite an important requirement when using a book).
And there's no avatar creation since, well, there's no avatar (no, a cropped picture doesn't count, especially since any other object will be included in it)

S1kkZ

@ghaleon: i know 2 guys (with kids) that feel the same about kinectimals. there is a game like kinectimals but their kids like it much more. i dont know the name but there is a demo on xbl. i think its fantasy pets.

onQ123

Four_Chamber said:
Get this crap out of here. You post enough about the Move in every other post.

Trolling in the Kinect thread- how funny

tough crowd lol

how is it trolling when there was nothing bad said about kinect?

TheOddOne

onQ123 said:
tough crowd lol

how is it trolling when there was nothing bad said about kinect?
Its not very relevant to the discussion. You don't see people going in to Move threads are saying "this can already or done better with Kinect".

onQ123

S1kkZ said:
@ghaleon: i know 2 guys (with kids) that feel the same about kinectimals. there is a game like kinectimals but their kids like it much more. i dont know the name but there is a demo on xbl. i think its fantasy pets.

Fantastic Pets

onQ123

TheOddOne said:
Its not very relevant to the discussion. You don't see people going in to Move threads are saying "this can already or done better with Kinect".

where did I say it was doing it better? how can I say it's already been done better if we haven't seen how good it can be done.

it was just a joke to go along with the rumor , the scanning objects & yourself into the game, think about it why would I really think that the comic book part of Kung -Fu Live is the same thing as a interactive book?

GhaleonEB

S1kkZ said:

onQ123 said:
Fantastic Pets
Thanks, I'll download the demo.

I got Your Shape Fitness for my wife and I, I'll be trying that out later today.

Raide

GhaleonEB said:
Thanks, I'll download the demo.

I got Your Shape Fitness for my wife and I, I'll be trying that out later today.

I am liking Your Shape. Once you go through the profile setup and basic training tests, you can pick from a good variety of workouts. Even the early stuff gets you sweating. :D It already has some DLC, though I have not picked any up yet.

Top Bottom