• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King.com also going after The Banner Saga

kadotsu

Banned
They should sue Sega and Zoé Mode next for Crush. Then they would finally have sued for every word in their gambling software aimed at kids.

Do they own or have they applied for the trademark on the sole word 'saga'? It would be pretty fucking stupid if the US trademark office signed off on that, because dozens - probably hundreds - of games have used the word Saga in the past.

This actually makes more sense than Candy since King.com use Saga as part of the name of their games, examples:

Pepper Panic Saga
Bubble Witch Saga
Farm Heroes Saga
Papa Pear Saga
Pyramid Solitaire Saga
Candy Crush Saga
Pet Rescue Saga
Bubble Saga
Hoop De Loop Saga
Mahjong Saga
Puzzle Saga

Kurtofan

This actually makes more sense than Candy since King.com use Saga as part of the name of their games, examples:

Pepper Panic Saga
Bubble Witch Saga
Farm Heroes Saga
Papa Pear Saga
Pyramid Solitaire Saga
Candy Crush Saga
Pet Rescue Saga
Bubble Saga
Hoop De Loop Saga
Mahjong Saga
Puzzle Saga

Guess who else uses saga: Vikings.

Orayn

How can you trademark the word "saga"? Is someone going to trademark the word "the" in relation to games next? How about "of"? Candy Crush is a rip off as it is.

You can trademark generic words in a specific context. In this instance, it's "Saga" in the context of video games. Depending on how common the word is, the trademark may or may not be defensible. You need to make a strong case that someone else is infringing on your trademark in a way that might cause confusion, and it's possible for your case to get thrown out if it's not convincing.

Dascu

There's no way the judge would agree with this, but goddamn if this isn't just a monumental waste of time and effort, particularly damaging for a much smaller company like Stoic.

Bastards. I hope there's some rule in place to counter-sue for negligent and harmful opposition.

inky

Time to trademark every single word in the English language.

It is the only way to make sure I get mine.

Hello sir, I represent the Denny's™ Corporation and we find your username to be in breach of our trademark because we believe it might cause confusion in people and they might mistake you for one of our fine restaurants.

As such, we demand you cease and desist being called that. If you don't comply within 10 minutes I will have to take immediate legal action.

Thank you for your time.

Dennis

Banned
Hello sir, I represent the Denny's™ Corporation and we find your username to be in breach of our trademark because we believe it might cause confusion in people and they might mistake you for one of our fine restaurants.

As such, we demand you cease and desist being called that. If you don't comply within 10 minutes I will have to take immediate legal action.

Thank you for your time.

:(

I guess I will have to change my name to Damian or something now........

Nymphae

Banned
This actually makes me quite mad.

Fucking thieves trying to protect their stolen legacy and fuck over tons of completely innocent developers, because they can. If I lived near this developer, I would be throwing bricks at their building tonight.

PaulLFC

Pepper Panic Saga
Bubble Witch Saga
Farm Heroes Saga
Papa Pear Saga
Pyramid Solitaire Saga
Candy Crush Saga
Pet Rescue Saga
Bubble Saga
Hoop De Loop Saga
Mahjong Saga
Puzzle Saga
So if I had games called, for example;

Champions of Football
Legends of Hockey
Greats of Basketball
Heroes of Wrestling

etc etc, can I trademark the word "of"? I think not. So why can this lot trademark such a common word as "saga" which has been used in plenty of games, many probably originating before King even existed.

Mask

But, Sigma Star Saga. And Romancing Saga. And Saga! D:

Those games belong to big companies that would be able to fight back with some force. King.com is targeting small companies that may not be able to afford a court battle.

In other words, being bullies. Absolutely disgusting, and I hope they poke the wrong people and get the Langdell treatment.

Oh for fuck's sake...

Which one of their customers will mistakenly buy The Banner Saga thinking it's one of King's casual games? I mean, that's what it boils down to, doesn't it?

They should sue Iceland for Heimskringla. Those damn vikings have clearly been ripping them off for millenia. Just think of the royalties owed!

SJRB

Gold Member

Pepper Panic Saga
Bubble Witch Saga
Farm Heroes Saga
Papa Pear Saga
Pyramid Solitaire Saga
Candy Crush Saga
Pet Rescue Saga
Bubble Saga
Hoop De Loop Saga
Mahjong Saga
Puzzle Saga

This makes NO sense. Just because they release their games with the name "saga" doesn't mean they can claim a completely common and often used word like "saga" for their own.

This situation is absurd, videogame journalists should jump on this asap.

AngryMoth

Oh wait so Banner Saga is not actually part of the Candy Crush series? Man that's so confusing
said no one ever.

Ogimachi

And I thought the whole "Scrolls" issue was bad enough.
"confusingly and deceptively similar to Opposer's previously used SAGA Marks."

Ugh.

jet1911

Pepper Panic Saga
Bubble Witch Saga
Farm Heroes Saga
Papa Pear Saga
Pyramid Solitaire Saga
Candy Crush Saga
Pet Rescue Saga
Bubble Saga
Hoop De Loop Saga
Mahjong Saga
Puzzle Saga

I can see why their legal department think it makes sense. It still doesn't make sense though.

Orayn

This makes NO sense. Just because they release their games with the name "saga" doesn't mean they can claim a completely common and often used word like "saga" for their own.

This situation is absurd, videogame journalists should jump on this asap.

Well, it kind of does. Apple is a pretty powerful trademark in computers, for example. If you tried to start an OEM called "Apple Orchard PCs," you'd have their lawyers all over you in a second. Likewise if you tried to make a platformer game called "The Adventures of Mario," even if it wasn't a direct ripoff of Nintendo's characters or mechanics.

I'm not saying that those companies own those words or that King's case has any merit, just that the idea of registering a trademark that includes a common word isn't completely unfamiliar or outlandish.

King.com, trust me when I say that I have never confused The Banner Saga for one of your shitty games.

candy crush at best is a time stealer when I'm on the crapper and I know I wear glasses but there is no way I can confuse a jelly bean with a freaking 2 horned giant norse viking person.

You mean the company that confused me into thinking it was making Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga games, is suing another company for confusing people about video game titles? Banner Saga guys...don't even get a lawyer, you can win this one pretty damn easily.

Where are their headquarters located?

Send the nuclear strike there. The only way to be sure.

Also I was going to wait on a sale for this game but I'm buying it immediately to offset any costs that this disgusting company may have caused the banner saga devs.

Einbroch

Banned
They can't win this. Armchair lawyer here, but The Banner Saga was in no way developed with even the faintest thought of Candy Crush Saga, so this should be shot down instantly.

Top Bottom