• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King.com also going after The Banner Saga

rottame

Sleaze bonus +5: legal address of King is in Malta (most Swedish gambling companies I know have a legal address in Malta for tax reasons). Ew ew ew.

Einbroch

Banned
Unfortunately in the us legal system, money can often trump common sense .

It can, if there's a case. There's no case here, really. It almost seems like King.com just did a Google search for "saga", saw that this was a game and popular, and threw it in with the rest of the CCS ripoffs.

RaffAO

It's SEGA's fault, as usual.

PanzerDragoonSagaBox.jpg

If we'd had a re-release by now this would never have happened.

These guys are pricks and their games are everything wrong with mobile games.

Just like Zynga, though, they'll no longer be the hot new thing and we'll be saying "who?" in a year or so.

Camwi

Is that what happens when you have a shit ton of money? You just start throwing out frivolous lawsuits to see what sticks?

Bunch of assholes.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
King.com is the new Zynga. The empire must fall.

If this is the future of asshole game publishers because of mobile games...

jay

hey candy crush guys, do you know square enix had a game called "saga frontier"?

And Saga, Saga 2, Saga 3, Romancing Saga, Romancing Saga 2, Romancing Saga 3, Saga Frontier 2, and Unlimited Saga. I think this stuff comes down to who sues first, though.

kirby_fox

Banned
I don't see either trademarks holding up in court. A word like "candy" is too vague and is only referenced to them when adding the word crush. If they had other games in a series such as "Candy Slammer" or "Candy Rush" then I think it'd hold up more.

The word saga has been used in other video games too often to ever see any trademark work on it.

Sounds more like an attempt to intimidate competitors by willing to drop cash into the court systems that smaller companies may not be able.

This sickens me....I hate patent trolls.

Wait..how does this have legitamacy when the Nintendo "Wiimote/Remote" thing doesn't....Then I remember this is America and anything goes really.

We need Edgeworth in here to put King.com in it's place.

marrec

Banned
Please boycott Candy Crush and king.com, please.

don't ever buy another game again. Never.

Okay, I will continue to not participate in their bullshit F2P monetization schemes disguised as games.

I will, however, buy The Banner Saga based on this.

King.com were far from the first people to use Saga in the name of their games... This is a horseshit claim... Will King.com then have to pay nintendo for infringing on the Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga copyright? Or Sega for Panzer Dragoon Saga? Or even Square Enix for SaGa?

PaulLFC

This is more related to the other thread on King trademarking "Candy", but I'd love to see Candystand.com put them in their place - I remember that as the games site everyone knew in school, it's been around for as long as I can remember, so if either of the two can claim to have an association between "Candy" and games, it should be them.

Panda Rin

Banner Saga riding the popularity of Candy Crush? What? Different platforms, different game, and completely different style and audience. What the hell?

Labadal

That just shows how messed up the legal system is when these guys can do something like this. And money rules everything like usual.

stolin

This is more related to the other thread on King trademarking "Candy", but I'd love to see Candystand.com put them in their place - I remember that as the games site everyone knew in school, it's been around for as long as I can remember, so if either of the two can claim to have an association between "Candy" and games, it should be them.

These pricks need to collapse. The nerve of these people.

Just in the videogame space there are 100's of "Saga" games since the beginning.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/search/index.html?game=saga

Orayn

King.com were far from the first people to use Saga in the name of their games... This is a horseshit claim... Will King.com then have to pay nintendo for infringing on the Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga copyright? Or Sega for Panzer Dragoon Saga? Or even Square Enix for SaGa?

Depending on the circumstances, it's possible to trademark something that's been used before. You just need to prove that it's become strongly identified with your work, not necessarily that you're the very first one to ever use that word.

Banner Saga riding the popularity of Candy Crush? What? Different platforms, different game, and completely different style and audience. What the hell?

And this is why King.com probably has a weak case. It's just that they're big enough to indiscriminately shut down imitators and shake down smaller developers for some quick money.

People need to realize that this happens all the time, over and over. The people who are falling victim from stuff like this need to learn to protect their brand and file a trademark on their name or whatever when making an app.

Does King.com realize how many games there are with "Saga" in their names?

Yes. And that's why they did this.

tehPete

Banned
What a daft half-baked moneygrab attempt. Next up, a copyright claim for 'a word or short series of words forming a concise summary, description or name to be linked to an item for the purposes of identification and marketing'.

America™

zulfate

Fuck me, what a fun way of living we have going on here.

Ill trademark duty and field....i think i might be lucky with those 2.

beril

This whole debacle is making me sad. I have some friends at King, and overall it seemed like a pretty cool company despite making soul sucking f2p facebook games, but this is just wrong

styl3s

I call them disgusting shit birds but the lack of originality in king.com games and the fact they are just there to take your money already disgust me to a level i didn't though was possible.

I put them on the same level as Zynga, which is below filth.

nampad

This is getting out of hand. The candy thing was already a joke but now you can't even use the word saga?
I would have thought that King.com made enough money of their game so they don't need to do this. I don't see how this can really harm their claims to the Candy Crush Saga trademark but then I also didn't get the whole Scrolls thing, which at least wasn't as far fetched as this.
Trademark law needs a good rework.

Top Bottom