• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King.com also going after The Banner Saga

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Is it really that easy? To create a game series with a super generic word and then just "claim" it forever?

Trademarking a common word like "candy" and suing anyone using a common word like "saga".

Wow. The year just started and already King has practically won WORST COMPANY.

I'm no lawyer, but aren't copyright and patent laws so iffy here in the US that they NEED to do this just in case an actual case happens later and they need to go for it?

This is a pretty low class move. Like when Monster Cable went after mom-and-pop businesses using the word "monster" a few years back. I hope the backlash is strong.

calder

They would start this shit the second I decide to go buy the Banner Saga. Now I'm gonna buy it harder.

Hah I was going to buy the game eventually too - probably on the weekend - but I bought it tonight in large part because of this news.

AppleMIX

This situation is all kinds of fucked up.

Although it makes me very happy that I backed the Banner Saga's kickstarter. These guys need support.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
This is probably the last place I'd expect a League of Gentleman reference, bravo ;)

thanks!

And Dave.... my wife says your toilet is broken.... but she fixed it now

The Banner Saga sequel could be affected from this - Stoic puts out a statement

Two years ago, the three of us at Stoic set out to make an epic viking game: The Banner Saga. We did, and people loved it, so we’re making another one. We won’t make a viking saga without the word Saga, and we don’t appreciate anyone telling us we can’t.

King.com claims they’re not attempting to prevent us from using The Banner Saga, and yet their legal opposition to our trademark filing remains.

We’re humbled by the outpouring of support and honored to have others stand with us for the right to their own Saga. We just want to make great games.

Seriously fuck King.com

Hey guys, be on the lookout for my upcoming new game Dandy Rush Saga.

It's a runner game where you play an English fop who mustn't be late for tea.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
This whole thing is ripe for a castle vidcons strip. King.com is the king of the iOS peasants, at war with console and PC nations etc.

Scrolls Edge: The Candy Apple Saga

hohoXD123

King.com reaching a new low:
http://junkyardsam.com/kingcopied

It's ironic that King.com is concerned about intellectual property when they so blatantly copied our game Scamperghost with their game "Pac-Avoid" in late 2009. In fact, using "Pac" from Namco's Pac-Man is exactly the same thing they're trying to stop people from doing with their "Candy" trademark!

We were in talks with Lars Jörnow at King.com to license our Scamperghost game. Before the deal was closed (and certainly before any contracts were signed) MaxGames.com made a better offer so we thanked King for considering our game and politely ended our negotiations.

King.com (giant company) retaliated against us (two young indie devs) by quickly making a direct clone of our game and almost released it before us! We only got ours out sooner because a friend close with the company contacted us privately to warn us in advance...

But it was worse than just "sponsorship of a similar game." We tracked down the developer that made Pac-Avoid and it turns out they were contacted by King.com to clone the game!

No "contract" was ever signed, this was Lars/King justifying their actions to a small indie developer that might otherwise have turned down the request to copy our game.

Top Bottom