• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters: DESTINY starts airing (CG series)

BadWolf

SNK has started uploading the series to Steam and youtube.

Steam page
Episode 1 (YT)
Episode 2 (YT)
Episode 3 (YT)
Episode 4 (YT)
Episode 5 (YT)
Episode 6 (YT)
Episode 7 (YT)
Episode 8 (YT)
Episode 9 (YT)
Episode 10 (YT)
Episode 11 (YT)

JP voice acting (with VAs from the games) and English subs.

Was fully prepared for it to suck but so far it's legit good and fun. They are handling the character personalities really well and the fight scenes are fantastic. Feels like it's being made by SNK fans who actually care.

The steam reviews are pretty positive so far too.

Seems they will be releasing these weekly. 24 eps for the first season and more seasons after that.

The credits contain a sweet remix of Tears.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Definitely gonna check this out 2: Me too. SNK has always been pretty good about giving their characters character, so this has a good chance at being fun.

Whompa02

Hope the story is interesting because that animation is rough with a capital R. The physical models just look ugly too. Man why can't SNK just get their character models looking nice? It's not like the designs are hard to turn into decent looking 3d characters. It's just guys and girls in mostly high end fashion-ware ffs.

Just saw the first episode. Not too shabby! I love that they work in Esaka into the show's theme. I hate that the episode is only about 14 minutes with 6 minutes of ads, previews, and credits for padding.

Hope the story is interesting because that animation is rough with a capital R. The physical models just look ugly too. Man why can't SNK just get their character models looking nice? It's not like the designs are hard to turn into decent looking 3d characters. It's just guys and girls in mostly high end fashion-ware ffs.

Eh, I can't be too mad because it's uploaded for free. I would've loved the show to look like KoF Another Day though.

Futaleufu

Considering this is 24+ episodes long, made by an unknown up-start chinese company, the end result is pretty good. Those Pixar movies take at least 4 years to get made, and they are usually 90 minutes long.

Is Ryo american? His name is always written in katakana, and I remember that in Art of Fighting 3, when Kasumi reaches up to him, she pulls out a dicitionary and starts to talk to him in english, before he stops her and tells her "I can speak japanese, too", then the dialog resumes in japanese. It's like she expected him to be unable to speak japanese.

TreIII

Is Ryo american? His name is always written in katakana, and I remember that in Art of Fighting 3, when Kasumi reaches up to him, she pulls out a dicitionary and starts to talk to him in english, before he stops her and tells her "I can speak japanese, too", then the dialog resumes in japanese. It's like she expected him to be unable to speak japanese.

That's right. He and Yuri were born in America and grew up in Southtown, themselves.

Het_Nkik

He was born in Japan but moved to America when he was around 4 to 6 years old. Takuma married an American woman in Japan and moved the family to Southtown shortly after Yuri was born.

That's right. He and Yuri were born in America and grew up in Southtown, themselves.

SNK Wiki has Yuri and Ryo's birthplace as Japan.

TreIII

He was born in Japan but moved to America when he was around 4 to 6 years old. Takuma married an American woman in Japan and moved the family to Southtown shortly after Yuri was born.

Ah, gotcha. I remembered that Mr. Karate married an American woman, but must have forgotten the detail of where the kids were born.

Holy shit, did they let Capcom do the faces?

BgD3Lo.gif

Fucking brutal faces going on here.

Big0Bear

Im actually enjoying it so far. For a fighting game anime I think its one of the best story wise (not counting SF2 movie just series)

That being said the quality isnt that great but thats SNK for you. Im excited to see more

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Massive SNK fangirl, and I love this and in particular SNK's resurgence. But Kyo's MK2 quilt ninja texture on his clothes is bugging me

Mister Wolf

It was nice seeing saisyo kusanagi. Geese is arrogant but he can back it up. I wonder who is stronger between kyo and terry at this point in the story.

I'm greatly enjoying the series and personally, I find that melding the different canons on a single one is the best approach they could've taken.

Although I'm curious over the fact Takuma isn't listed on the cast since that would mean Ryo and Robert would be unable to participate on the tournament.

Shifty

The models and animation quality aren't out of this world, but holy shit did the fight scene in episode 1 make me grin.

And free, too. Amazing.

TreIII

Next year is SamSho's 25th anniversary and TGS is coming up next month (KOF14 was announced at TGS 2015).

Fingers crossed.

I've been crossing everything I got ever since Neo_G started his teases.

Time for him to show that Capcom's loss is SNK's gain~!

Man the fight scene in Episode 2 was great! Wish Iron Fist could've had fight scenes that were fun to watch like that.

So is the Angelina listed in the credits the girl flirting with Terry a new take on Lily McGuire from the Anime? I wonder if they changed the name for legal reasons or if they just wanted to not confuse people with Billy's sister Lily.

NeonZ

I always thought Benimaru was meant to be a serious 'cool' character. Although I'm enjoying him being as much of a joke as Polnareff himself.

Loona

It was neat of them to play with Ryo's bike meme.

When in doubt, I prefer to check directly at official sources, that wiki's not very good at referencing its sources, so it's a bit permeable to fan theories:

http://kofaniv.snk-corp.co.jp/english/character/index.php?num=ryo
http://kofaniv.snk-corp.co.jp/english/character/index.php?num=yuri

So is the Angelina listed in the credits the girl flirting with Terry a new take on Lily McGuire from the Anime? I wonder if they changed the name for legal reasons or if they just wanted to not confuse people with Billy's sister Lily.

Apparently so - a lot of people still associate Terry with a doomed love life on account of the anime, and the events of the Destiny series are from before Mary entered the picture either in Fatal Fury or KoF.

IMO SNK's story strengths always had more to do with family histories than romantic relationships, so this doesn't seem needed, but let's see how it plays out...

Galdelico

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the character design, and you can tell this series couldn't count on a huge budget, but... I'm liking it so far, way more than I thought I would. Battle scenes are great, and the fanservice is all over the place. Thumbs up SNK!

BadWolf

I've been crossing everything I got ever since Neo_G started his teases.

Time for him to show that Capcom's loss is SNK's gain~!

*bro fist*

Word was that Neo_G has really been itching to work on a new project so here's hoping he got his chance. He probably has so many ideas saved up since it's been so long since he was seriously involved in a game (he worked on XIV sure but came towards the tail end of its production).

Would love to see what he can cook up with a SamSho reboot.

Any Mai in the episodes?

Not yet, but she is in the intro so we'll see her eventually.

It's interesting that they are taking their time even with super popular characters like her. Most other devs would have had her front and center from the very first ep.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If this was Fatal Fury I'd be losing my mind with hype but KOF...ehhh I'll give this a shot I guess.

i-Jest

I'm gonna watch this after I'm done with Drifters. I wonder If I'll see impressions about this from Looking Glass Reflection and Mothers Basement?

Finaika

Not yet, but she is in the intro so we'll see her eventually.

It's interesting that they are taking their time even with super popular characters like her. Most other devs would have had her front and center from the very first ep.

If it was Capcom they would have Chun-Li everywhere flaunting her thighs.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I get that people are excited, and it is cool to see KOF getting love after all these years, but that was...... rough, and that's being kind. Not to mention impressively ugly. Still though, I'm glad it's being well received as hopefully it helps sell more copies of KOF XIV.

Loona

*bro fist*

The live-action movie practically treated her like a protagonist despite her relative irrelevance in the game's stories, and did that with very little understanding of the character - considering how that thing turned out, hopefully that was a valuable lesson for anyone hoping to tackle SNK's stories in a more traditional narrative medium.

I'm gonna watch this after I'm done with Drifters. I wonder If I'll see impressions about this from Looking Glass Reflection and Mothers Basement?

I'm not sure about Glass Reflection, whom I don't really follow, but Mother's Basement recently showed some KoF footage very briefly during its Dragon Ball FighterZ video, so Geoff is at least aware of the series as a whole - I'm not expecting him to tackle it, but he does alternate between proven popular/sponsored stuff and stuff he likes, so who knows... maybe Destiny at some point will be mentioned in some video that covers a broader theme like "series as commercials" or something, as opposed to a dedicated full episode, like the pleasant surprise that was his Re:Creators video.

Subaru

Each episode is short, there is no reason to them get into fights, it's corny, they changed Benimaru a lot and it's ugly.

But I still like it. <3

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Will watch it tonight.

Them faces tho =/

Each episode is short, there is no reason to them get into fights, it's corny, they changed Benimaru a lot and it's ugly.

But I still like it. <3

Yeah, there's something about it that's awesome. Maybe its seeing these characters coming to life and staying canon; street fighter shows/series were always garbage and I always wanted them to take this path when making shows.

Can't wait for more episodes!

Subaru

Yeah, there's something about it that's awesome. Maybe its seeing these characters coming to life and staying canon; street fighter shows/series were always garbage and I always wanted them to take this path when making shows.

Can't wait for more episodes!

Street Fighter II V(ictory) is really good for what it is, but it's not canon.
Yes, maybe you are right, it's good to finally see the canon story "alive".

Top Bottom