• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

King Thrash Gaming Defends his analysis after continued trash talking and personal attacks.

Psykodad

Apr 9, 2018
I wonder how many times he will say the N word this time.
Just OOZES intelligence this dude.
I always find it interesting that people imply that the use of words like "nigger" or any other form of swearing shows a lack of intelligence.

That's actually kinda ironic. Lol

Reactions: Can't decide

b0uncyfr0

Dec 1, 2012

Thrash backing up what he said.

Straight up - there is alot DF did not cover for Gears 5. Looking at their Spiderman / GoW videos, they went in depth about reflections / shadows and did nothing close for Gears.

At the 29 minute mark - seems DF ONLY talked about everything mentioned in their interview with MS.

Its pretty clear DF, you didn't do your own analysis after all.

Last edited:

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
I always find it interesting that people imply that the use of words like "nigger" or any other form of swearing shows a lack of intelligence.

That's actually kinda ironic. Lol
same as an 14 year old insta airhead saying like every 3 seconds

Chief Devin

Jun 16, 2014

Straight up - there is alot DF did not cover for Gears 5. Looking at their Spiderman / GoW videos, they went in depth about reflections / shadows and did nothing close for Gears.

At the 29 minute mark - seems DF ONLY talked about everything mentioned in their interview with MS.

Seems like either he never played the game at all and just got handed footage to use and used whatever info TC told him or it was literally a paid ad for Gears 5. Either way it's not looking good

Last edited:

Clear

Feb 2, 2009

Great take-down. Really.

That being said, if people hadn't figured out already that so much stuff on EG and DF is Microsoft sponsored content they weren't paying attention. Well. more likely straight-up deciding to ignore it because it was contrary to their personal interests and biases.

b0uncyfr0

Dec 1, 2012
That being said, if people hadn't figured out already that so much stuff on EG and DF is Microsoft sponsored content they weren't paying attention. Well. more likely straight-up deciding to ignore it because it was contrary to their personal interests and biases.
Im in this category honestly, i really thought they were neutral. How silly i was. I cant trust them for MS related content now from whats been shown. It is really disappointing as a long time fan of their channel.

sircaw

Neo Member
Jul 3, 2019
Those Videos do not put Digital foundry in a very good light.

I am not an expert but after watching those videos, something sure does smell fishy.

Last edited:

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
Im in this category honestly, i really thought they were neutral. How silly i was. I cant trust them for MS related content now from whats been shown. It is really disappointing as a long time fan of their channel.
Look, I don't care of its game consoles or washing machines, if you see an outlet getting an exclusive reveal of an unreleased product, and then literally papering their site for the next two weeks with numerous "articles" none of which contain anything but effusive praise for the item in question, in my view you HAVE to be skeptical.

Because if coverage is that one-sided it may as well be marketing.

Aug 28, 2019

Well, it's worse than we originally thought. Press F to pay respects for DF.

Reactions: PropellerEar

demigod

Apr 17, 2007
Great take-down. Really.

lol I've been saying this since the beginning of time. In fact I even said it last year on era on how DF was biased, dark10x and others came at me and I got a temp ban because I wouldn't answer a question another from a regular member(he probably sucked some major cock later to become a mod). Left that shitstain site for good.

McCheese

Jan 7, 2018
Man, some of DF's soundbites really don't hold up to scrutinity (e.g. "all" real-time lighting). DF should never just be a mouth piece for regurgitating whatever hypebole Microsoft want to put out, so they have to be more careful with their words here and point out that maybe this scene does, but others still used baked lighting etc.

The rest of the critisms here I don't accept, as they didn't do a review, or promise critique. They created a cool tech-showcase video, they don't have to point out all the negatives, that's upto the reviewers, but I suspect their association with Eurogamer, and how they are increasingly giving their opinions on how good a game is lately in their clips, are causing confusion. Folks should never watch just a digital foundry clip to decide if a game is worth buying.

Last edited:
Reactions: FranXico

bilderberg

Apr 7, 2018
Man, some of DF's soundbites really don't hold up to scrutinity (e.g. "all" real-time lighting). DF should never just be a mouth piece for regurgitating whatever hypebole Microsoft want to put out, so they have to be more careful with their words here and point out that maybe this scene does, but others still used baked lighting etc.

The rest of the critisms here I don't accept, as they didn't do a review, or promise critique. They created a cool tech-showcase video, they don't have to point out all the negatives, that's upto the reviewers, but I suspect their association with Eurogamer, and how they are increasingly giving their opinions on how good a game is lately in their clips, are causing confusion. Folks should never watch just a digital foundry clip to decide if a game is worth buying.
"all the negatives"?.. you'd be hard pressed to find one negative thing they said. "Resolutions..and the like." You mean like 1080p? "that's business talk"

demigod

Apr 17, 2007

Did you watch the video b0uncyfr0 linked? DF pointed out the negatives in God of War but not Gears.

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018

I like Digital Foundry materials, but KingThrash arguments presented here are really solid. I feel at this point Digital Foundry should stop attacking KingThrash and just listen to his points in order to make better videos in the future.

BigLee74

Mar 14, 2014
Hmmm. This thrash guy just sounds like a little whiny Sony fanboy. He will fit right in here!

(but he's right, DF didn't appear to go into any depth in their analysis)

Last edited:

Geki-D

Dec 6, 2017

Oof dat bit with the article, doe. Sort of explains why when they're talking about light scattering through character's ears they show something that isn't actually light scattering.

Also why was DF talking this up?:

In what universe does a shadow do this? Yet apparently this is super realistic according to DF?

Darius87

Jul 16, 2018
literally everything ms touches turns to shit.

Stuart360

Sep 9, 2018
Hmmm. This thrash guy just sounds like a little whiny Sony fanboy. He will fit right in here!
Honestly i dont remember anyone having a problem with DF pre the OneX, when they said pretty much all games were better on the PS4 than XB1. Now they are biased since the OneX came out and they say most games are better on the OneX, while also pointing out the times the Pro does something better than the OneX.
I dont know who the guy in the video is but he just sounds like a salty fanboy, using the same arguments fanboys on here do.

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
Doesnt matter, because his arguments do the real talking. I'm not goinig to defend DF after watching KingThrash materials, because it's obvious their GOW5 analysis was different compared to lets say spiderman or god of war analysis, exactly as KingThrash say.

Reactions: Yakuzakazuya

BigLee74

Mar 14, 2014
I agree he makes good points regarding the very suspect DF analysis. But he's still an obvious Sony fanboy (particularly when he started laughing at Gears of War 4). He complained about the time it took him to make the video. All he had to do was go with the last 5 minutes (minus the dodgy language which crept in), and his point would have been well made!

Stuart360

Sep 9, 2018
Doesnt matter, because his arguments do the real talking. I'm not goinig to defend DF after watching KingThrash materials, because it's obvious their GOW5 analysis was different compared to lets say spiderman or god of war analysis, exactly as KingThrash say.
Jon has often talkied about the lack of time, and with the amount of games coming out recently, maybe he didnt do as indepth coverage as he should have, i dont know.

Shifty

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2015
the planet Thra
Damn son, 45 minutes of content with what appears to be actual reference imagery? That's coming dangerously close to being a real analysis.

The first video that might have a point, and TLW doesn't get to post a fresh thread about it. I can almost hear the salt from here 🤭 Ah well. Maybe we can actually have a discussion without the added noise of endless lowercase rantposts.

And well, I said I looked forward to some real analysis and here we are. Aside from the first and last 10 minutes it was less of an impassioned rant than his other content, which is an improvement.

The core claims now appear to have settled on:
  • The gears analysis was bad because they didn't go as in-depth as they do with other titles
  • MS must be paying them off for positive coverage
  • Being paid off for positive coverage opens the gate to payoffs from other publishers

The reasoning being:
  • They didn't do freeze-zoom highlights as they did with god of war
  • They didn't show all the dynamic resolution permutations
  • They didn't explicitly highlight things like cascaded shadows
  • The analysis took too long for what it was
  • DF seem to know more about the gears 5 tech (ex. swift) than they let on
  • The article is essentially a transcript of the video, and contains an interview with the coalition
  • Respawn fixed Titanfall on X a week after DF's initial negative video
  • They got flown out to Redmond for an X hardware demo
  • Richard got a free X chip encased in glass

On resolution - the numbers given were averages, and they have to be because UE4 DRS does not limit itself to big easy-to-understand resolution steps. If they listed every possible permutation, you'd end up with about 576 different resolutions. More even, if the game drops down to 1080 under specific conditions. It's extremely granular.

And if DF didn't encounter 1080p during their testing time, then I wouldn't expect them to mention it. You can argue that it's a ball-drop, sure, but I'm disinclined to immediately jump to FILTHY LIES when you can employ hanlon's razor and attribute it to incompetence.
Also lol at "i know a guy that does the real numbers but i forgot". What a pro.

Moving onto the drama side of things, he shows dark10x's era post as evidence for his claim about this but doesn't address or refute it, choosing instead to paraphrase into a simple strawman about them lying about their results because it was some sort of rush-job.
So no ground gained there- if the tools take more time the more resolutions you throw at them, then a game that's constantly shifting around is going to take exponentially longer than one that does it less or not at all. Give me a good reason to disbelieve that and I'll consider it, but I haven't seen one yet.

With regard to the stuff about shadows, eh. It would be nice to see clear in-game comparisons that don't rely on image overlays, but how exactly do you expect DF to turn off the effects in question for the sake of making that comparison footage - on a console version of the game - in the first place?
Plus, the claim that they don't show off cascaded shadows isn't entirely accurate. You're seeing them on every frame of the game. It's true that they don't break down what exactly those are, but it's a common technique used by more or less every 3D game these days that has already been covered plenty of times in the past. It's taken as read that you know what it is at this point.

And speaking of common techniques, the improvements made to the game outside of 'swift destruction' such as subsurface scattering, better irises, etc, have been public knowledge since Unreal Engine added that functionality. The Coalition did not invent those features, Epic did, and they've been on the public UE4 documentation since 2015.
Digital Foundry are the last folks you should be surprised at for knowing about or noticing these things, though it is quite possible that The Coalition could have noted them as bullet points they wanted covered.

As for the big-ticket point that is "DF are taking pay packets from MS in exchange for bias": I don't think it's entirely off the mark, but I sure as hell don't think it's conclusive either. The MS coverage has smacked of #Ad from the start with the exclusive hardware coverage and hyper enthusiasm from Richard, but we haven't seen enough to make a hard judgement.

MS flying them out for hardware demos and schmoozing is nothing new as far as game industry journos are concerned, but I think he misunderstands the point. Spending that time and money on entertaining DF isn't some altruistic gift, it's a calculated investment designed to come back around in the form of sales from positive coverage.

That's marketing 101, and not proof of DF going full corporate bootlicker. Yes, It opens up the possibility that they chuck journalistic integrity in the bin and develop a bias, but it doesn't prove it outright.

And all of the stuff about Richard's Scorpio chip being a one-of-a-kind glass-encased collector's item is nonsense- there's nothing to say that Mike Ybarra or Major Nelson couldn't snap their fingers and get one if they so pleased.
And the twitter pictures in question had the chip loose in someone's hand specifically so a close picture could be taken. This shit is reaching, man. One unit of a mass-produced chip and a glass case doesn't incur any significant cost on MS in the big picture.

As for further points in that narrative, Respawn updating the X version of Titanfall 2 within a week does not prove that DF are on the MS payroll. The comparison with Shadow of Mordor is anecdotal.
What's to say that Respawn aren't simply more open to feeback from trusted industry sources than Monolith, and experienced enough with their engine to fix it up quick? What's to say they weren't already planning rapid post-release patch support?
Both of those are more believable explanations than "it's a conspiracy, they're on the company dollar!"

He speculates that the gears video was a paid, pre-written script. It's not impossible, but the evidence presented doesn't even come close to proving it beyond all doubt.

He points out that the DF article for Gears 5 strongly resembles the script of the video. It does, but that's normal for Digital Foundry. If you read their Link's Awakening Review and play the video at the same time, you'll notice that the article reads as a transcript with some minor rephrasing here and there.
They do this with a lot of content for the sake of covering both video and text outlets, and if you look at their website you won't be able to find a single article. It's all video, because they are first and foremost a video production. It's been clear for a while that the articles are secondary.

He also tries to use the time difference between the video and the article as some sort of proof that one of them is 'fake' and that The Coalition were sat next to them directing as the content was made. That's conspiracy theory-tier insanity ("the more I look, the more crazy stuff my brain makes up i see").
More likely is that the interview with The Coalition happened well before the content was made, and that they took notes. Fast forward days / weeks / whatever and they will have written the script, made the video, and later converted it into an article for the Eurogamer archive. Whoa man, crazy.

And as far as John dropping a 'we' when referring to graphical tech implemented by the coalition, he uses "we" in the context of general gaming/tech all the time. "We've never achieved such fidelity", "this is the first time we've seen this", et cetera. That's just a thing he does, not the lynchpin holding a crazy conspiracy case together.

So to conclude on the actually-presented-okay-ish-i-guess middle section, DF's MS coverage has indeed had a questionable air about it, and if a trend of first-party MS titles getting videos that subtly tiptoe around things develops then there will be cause for concern.
Right now however, it could go either way between the gears video being a fumble that just looks suspicious in comparison to their other content, and it being an actual red flag case of 'goodbye journalistic integrity'.

The outro is a bit of a joke to be honest. The middle section made some points worthy of discussion, albeit in a haphazard way, but man does the cringe ramp up toward the close.

"You use big words" - Yes, because big words are useful descriptors for complex phenomena.

"Prove me wrong" - That isn't how this works. If you had the necessary evidence to prove yourself right beyond all reasonable doubt, then you wouldn't have to throw out broad challenges in an attempt to shift the onus of proof onto the other party. Prove yourself right.

"I don't got the time i'm sleepy" - This is not an excuse. Take the time, produce the content, and fuck this stupid drama-chasing idea that there's a schedule that needs to be met while the iron's hot.

"Too many technical words" - To expect anything else from content that markets itself as technical analysis is to play oneself.

The whole "Don't fuck with me" "Don't ever call me stupid" "Don't ever come at me" diatribe. Do you want to be a critic, or a brainlet internet thug? Pick one, and have some self-awareness about who came at who in the first place while you're at it.

"It'd be too many cuts for a video with the whole article" - You could absolutely do the whole thing. Tighter cuts on the reference footage, overlaying your voice over it to make the point and show it at the same time, there are ways and means. But apparently not when you're so shook over internet drama that you stay up until 3AM grinding out a retort that has to ship RIGHT NOW.

The "wow RIP DF" posters up in here are jumping to conclusions without evidence instead of thinking critically because someone with the brand of charisma that appeals to them made a convincing-sounding case. What do you think this is, world star hip hop? You're an embarrasment to GAF.

Xaero Testosterone Xaero Testosterone I wrote you another book lol

Last edited:

demigod

Apr 17, 2007
Jon has often talkied about the lack of time, and with the amount of games coming out recently, maybe he didnt do as indepth coverage as he should have, i dont know.
5 days is lack of time? 5 days to read from script what The Coalition gave them? Holyshit King Thrash just owned DF in that video.

Stuart360

Sep 9, 2018
5 days is lack of time? 5 days to read from script what The Coalition gave them? Holyshit King Thrash just owned DF in that video.
He just sounded like a whinging fanboy to me. Did he whinge as much when DF would always say the PS4 version was better than XB1?

demigod

Apr 17, 2007
He just sounded like a whinging fanboy to me. Did he whinge as much when DF would always say the PS4 version was better than XB1?
How quickly you forget that DF actually favored the XB1 due to the FPS. Now that XB1X is out they are favoring it still even tho there are games with it with lesser FPS than the Pro.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Sep 9, 2018
How quickly you forget that DF actually favored the XB1 due to the FPS.
In the odd game that happened. When we are talking a low framerate anyway (30fps in most games), if one console has a slightly more consistent framerate, that would be the one i chose. Plus they would still highlight the ways PS4 was better, like resolution, or possibly better effects.
But then again, resolution doesnt matter anymore, since the OneX released.

Xaero Testosterone

Formerly 'Xaero Gravity'
May 12, 2013
Canada Eh
I don't see John posting on GAF ever again after the amount of bullshit fanboy behavior on here. Congratulations on pushing yet another industry member away from the community.

Last edited:

Darius87

Jul 16, 2018
On resolution - the numbers given were averages, and they have to be because UE4 DRS does not limit itself to big easy-to-understand resolution steps. If they listed every possible permutation, you'd end up with about 576 different resolutions. More even, if the game drops down to 1080 under specific conditions. It's extremely granular.
so if there's no minimal resolution then they awerage resolution is wrong don't you think so?

Ovek

May 30, 2013
Digital Foundry have always been dubious Xbox fan boys dating all the way back to the Xbox360 days. Every time they get called out they try and shout you down like you don't know what your talking about like that pity party DF thread recently when someone posted the original KingThrash video.

KingThrash makes very valid points and his most recent video highlights them even further.

I don't see John posting on GAF ever again after the amount of bullshit fanboy behavior on here. Congratulations on pushing yet another industry member away from the community.
All because he's a member of the industry doesn't mean NeoGaf should collectively suck his dick either.

Xaero Testosterone

Formerly 'Xaero Gravity'
May 12, 2013
Canada Eh
Digital Foundry have always been dubious Xbox fan boys dating all the way back to the Xbox360 days. Every time they get called out they try and shout you down like you don't know what your talking about like that pity party DF thread recently when someone posted the original KingThrash video.

KingThrash makes very valid points and his most recent video highlights them even further.

All because he's a member of the industry doesn't mean NeoGaf should collectively suck his dick either.
There are ways to actually engage someone and critique their work respectfully. Instead the thread turned into fanboys slinging shit at
someone.

Last edited:

Shifty

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2015
the planet Thra
so if there's no minimal resolution then they awerage resolution is wrong don't you think so?
It's an accurate representation of the test data they had available, but not an exhaustive metric for all possible cases within the problem space of the game. They could probably have been more stringent about it.

At this point (assuming honesty on DF's part) it sounds to me like they recorded suboptimal test footage, but the time it took their tools to process it meant there wasn't time to go back and have a proper do-over.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Honestly i dont remember anyone having a problem with DF pre the OneX, when they said pretty much all games were better on the PS4 than XB1. Now they are biased since the OneX came out and they say most games are better on the OneX, while also pointing out the times the Pro does something better than the OneX.
I dont know who the guy in the video is but he just sounds like a salty fanboy, using the same arguments fanboys on here do.
Are you serious?

DF were flat out wrong about many things in their gears coverage. No amount of 'Sony conspiracy' will change that.

bilderberg

Apr 7, 2018
People here shouldn't have to be afraid of giving their opinion knowing John might read it and feel sorry for himself. He's used emotionally manipulative language in the past to deflect criticism because of "x,y, and z things happening in my life".. and now don't you look like an asshole. I watch DF all the time and they mostly do amazing work, but they aren't infallible. It would be so easy for John to say "you're right, I should have been more scrutinizing or further demonstrated that point", but instead he's more than likely to double down on "this dude doesn't know anything, i'm over worked, playstation fanboys..."

pawel86ck

Jan 27, 2018
If that would be the case, DF should wait with their Gears 5 analysis, because it's clearly not as detailed as spider man or god of war analysis videos. It's like someone would rush them to post their Gears 5 analysis.

To be honest I'm not familiar with other King Thrash videos, so I dont know if he is indeed biased towards sony as people here suggest, but his GOW5 videos are packed with arguments I simply can't deny. IMO Digital Foundry should listen to people like him (without making drama out of it) in order to improve their work next time. With formula like that they would be always on top👍.

BTW. guys, why TLW is banned? There are christmas already here on neogaf or something? 🤔😂 He is obviously PS4 lover but I just cant see why someone would ban him for no real reason. I almost feel pity for him 😀. He attacked someome here after so many years or maybe wrote "N" word out loud🤔? Anyway rest in peace TLW, just watch us from the heavens😇😅.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019
If the argument is "don't critique the industry professional or they'll be driven away" then who cares if they're driven away? You don't see this mentality when every Jim Sterling thread is ad hominem shit about his weight without addressing his arguments but we link to video full of actual analysis on what DF did wrong/differently and it's being too mean? Like WTF are these standards? Make up your damn minds because as far as I can tell you guys would prefer we just call them "fat sacks of shit" like is being done in every Jim Sterling thread, clearly this level of analytical take down is FAR more offensive.

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
People here shouldn't have to be afraid of giving their opinion knowing John might read it and feel sorry for himself. He's used emotionally manipulative language in the past to deflect criticism because of "x,y, and z things happening in my life".. and now don't you look like an asshole. I watch DF all the time and they mostly do amazing work, but they aren't infallible. It would be so easy for John to say "you're right, I should have been more scrutinizing or further demonstrated that point", but instead he's more than likely to double down on "this dude doesn't know anything, i'm over worked, playstation fanboys..."
This would be fine and dandy if you guys weren't so socially inept that you can't articulate an opinion without sounding like a child throwing a tantrum.

Last edited:

Otterz4Life

Jul 21, 2019
For the record, this is all because DF thought Gears 5 looked very good, which it does. Xbox simply cannot have a nice word said about them without some console warring dweeb with a microphone and iMovie getting triggered as f.

Gears 5 gets a special DF pass on a couple things because it’s 60fps. Just like almost all things Switch get a pass because onthego(!).

Aug 28, 2019
For the record, this is all because DF thought Gears 5 looked very good, which it does. Xbox simply cannot have a nice word said about them without some console warring dweeb with a microphone and iMovie getting triggered as f.

Gears 5 gets a special DF pass on a couple things because it’s 60fps. Just like almost all things Switch get a pass because onthego(!).
You guys should really actually watch videos before typing up embarrassing responses like this.

bilderberg

Apr 7, 2018

Halo 5 gets a pass for being 60 fps, Gears 5 shouldn't. It isn't locked, and the base console is still 30 frames.

Reactions: demigod

bilderberg

Apr 7, 2018
This would be fine and dandy if you guys weren't so socially inept that you can't articulate an opinion without sounding like a child throwing a tantrum.
you don't make any points or back up anything you say. And you got called out in thrash's last video so you're salty, i get it.

Otterz4Life

Jul 21, 2019
Halo 5 gets a pass for being 60 fps, Gears 5 shouldn't. It isn't locked, and the base console is still 30 frames.
DF basically treats the base Xbox One as if it doesn’t exist.

Tell me more about how DF is in the tank for MS...

Aug 28, 2019
The only thing embarrassing is the hate boner this guy has for Gears 5 and Xbox.
He's using his own footage from his own X and his own version of Gears 5 to disprove them. He explains his problem isn't console war rivalry, he shows you that DF pointed out more negative aspects to God of War and Spider-Man, including negative aspects PRESENT IN GEARS 5. His case is thorough and his only other DF video is about Borderlands 3, a game exclusive to no platform. Just either address the real arguments or leave the thread, tbh.

Jun 26, 2013
He's using his own footage from his own X and his own version of Gears 5 to disprove them. He explains his problem isn't console war rivalry, he shows you that DF pointed out more negative aspects to God of War and Spider-Man, including negative aspects PRESENT IN GEARS 5. His case is thorough and his only other DF video is about Borderlands 3, a game exclusive to no platform. Just either address the real arguments or leave the thread, tbh.
What is more telling is that King Thrash is just an average gamer like the rest of us, but is able to detect the technical discrepancies in Gears 5 whereas Digital Foundry who has the impressive benchmarking software and recording tech for some reason glanced over the game's technical flaws.

Aug 28, 2019
What is more telling is that King Thrash is just an average gamer like the rest of us, but is able to detect the technical discrepancies in Gears 5 whereas Digital Foundry who has the impressive benchmarking software and recording tech for some reason glanced over the game's technical flaws.
It's not just him either, the other big tech groups noticed these problems he highlights when DF didn't. The stuff about DF following a script is especially compelling when you see that interview with the Coalition.