• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

King Thrash Gaming Defends his analysis after continued trash talking and personal attacks.

demigod

Apr 17, 2007
If that would be the case, DF should wait with their Gears 5 analysis, because it's clearly not as detailed as spider man or god of war analysis videos. It's like someone would rush them to post their Gears 5 analysis.

To be honest I'm not familiar with other King Thrash videos, so I dont know if he is indeed biased towards sony as people here suggest, but his GOW5 videos are packed with arguments I simply can't deny. Yes, KingThrash use 18+ rated language, but as I can see that's for entertain reasons only. He talk like some comedian, and he is indeed funny to watch. IMO Digital Foundry should listen to people like him (without making drama out of it) in order to improve their work next time. With formula like that they would be always on top👍.

BTW. guys, why TLW is banned? There are christmas already here on neogaf or something? 🤔😂 He is obviously PS4 lover but I just cant see why someone would ban him for no real reason. I almost feel pity for him 😀. He attacked someome here after so many years or maybe wrote "N" word out loud🤔? Anyway rest in peace TLW, just watch us from the heavens😇😅.
No clue why he got banned really when it was the other 2 with the personal attacks.

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
you don't make any points or back up anything you say. And you got called out in thrash's last video so you're salty, i get it.
The proof is in this thread's petulant whining.

Ooooo, timestamp? Finally getting my 15 minutes of fame!

TLZ

Oct 20, 2015
Sydney

Thrash backing up what he said.

Straight up - there is alot DF did not cover for Gears 5. Looking at their Spiderman / GoW videos, they went in depth about reflections / shadows and did nothing close for Gears.

At the 29 minute mark - seems DF ONLY talked about everything mentioned in their interview with MS.

Its pretty clear DF, you didn't do your own analysis after all.

Aug 28, 2019
No clue why he got banned really when it was the other 2 with the personal attacks.
People seem to claim console warring is the problem, but I always thought he was careful enough with his wording, tbh. The definition of console warring feels so nebulous, too, to many people it simply means you didn't like Gears 5 (actually enjoying it on Gamepass, lol) and to others it includes pointing out the difference between console platforms but honestly we should be allowed to do that as well as there's a real discussion to be had about where a game performs best, which console you should buy, people without endless cash to test all games and all platforms themselves on everything might want to know the real arguments. To me the kind of console warring that's a problem is legitimate trolling and TLW was putting too much thought behind his posts to be accused of that.

Reactions: PropellerEar

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
And what are you doing? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Passing the time at work by making fun of you goobers.

"John is so biased because he didn't spend enough time shit-talking Gears 5!"

Just lol

Last edited:

demigod

Apr 17, 2007

Just lol
Yet he felt the need to shit talk GoW, Spiderman, gee I wonder why?

bilderberg

Apr 7, 2018
The proof is in this thread's petulant whining.

Ooooo, timestamp? Finally getting my 15 minutes of fame!
It's in the very video this thread is about, my man. Have you even watched this dude's video's for enough time to even agree or disagree with what's being said? Still haven't made an argument. "Gamers are a mistake"..what a non point that is lol

TLZ

Oct 20, 2015
Sydney

Just lol
It's better to spend that time actually checking out all the content at hand and have a well informed opinion of what's actually going on instead of making fun of people here.

Clear

Feb 2, 2009
I don't have a problem with John, and my issues with DF go back far further than his involvement with them. I'm talking about PS360 era stuff where there were far more pronounced differences between builds, allowing Leadbetter to really show his biases.

I forget the title, but it was the point at which they did a frame-rate comparison between a game where one platform had a hard vsync solution and the other used a soft vsync (i.e. the latter frequently displayed torn frames) that I really noped out on their coverage.

Although to be fair I was kinda insulted by the clickbaity nature of their original "face off" format, it kinda rubbed me up the wrong way from the start, because it seemed like a deliberate attempt to stoke the flames of platform fanboyism.

Bottom line though, none of this is a crime. You just need to factor in the tilt when evaluating their analyses.

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
It's in the very video this thread is about, my man. Have you even watched this dude's video's for enough time to even agree or disagree with what's being said? Still haven't made an argument. "Gamers are a mistake"..what a non point that is lol
I saw about 7 minutes of the very first video.

That was enough for me.

I don't feel like watching any more of that garbage to see him maybe mention my name so whatev.

BigLee74

Mar 14, 2014
People seem to claim console warring is the problem, but I always thought he was careful enough with his wording, tbh.
He's had it coming for ages, and not his first time too. Doesn't matter how carefully he words stuff, every post or thread he starts is pure transparent flame bait.

I'm sure he'll be back to his normal tricks in no time.

Personally, I treat myself to a whiskey every time he types foliage in a post. I'm always drunk.

Rolling_Start

Jul 25, 2019
He's had it coming for ages, and not his first time too. Doesn't matter how carefully he words stuff, every post or thread he starts is pure transparent flame bait.

I'm sure he'll be back to his normal tricks in no time.

Personally, I treat myself to a whiskey every time he types foliage in a post. I'm always drunk.
He's incapable of changing. Won't happen. He'll be back after his ban and he'll have learned nothing. He can't.

That's what's so great about him. He's a constant point of reference - the marker post for the pro Sony / anti MS zealot at the boundary between intense belief and dangerous insanity.

He's like a rock. Or the sun. Or mystery blood when you take a shit. He just is.

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
He's incapable of changing. Won't happen. He'll be back after his ban and he'll have learned nothing. He can't.

That's what's so great about him. He's a constant point of reference - the marker post for the pro Sony / anti MS zealot at the boundary between intense belief and dangerous insanity.

He's like a rock. Or the sun. Or mystery blood when you take a shit. He just is.
I've only been back at NeoGAF for a few weeks now, but his thread about Nvidia's ray tracing being a scam or some shit immediately caught my eye for all the wrong reasons.

Don't think we're dealing with a rational, fulfilled individual here.

Rolling_Start

Jul 25, 2019
I've only been back at NeoGAF for a few weeks now, but his thread about Nvidia's ray tracing being a scam or some shit immediately caught my eye for all the wrong reasons.

Don't think we're dealing with a rational, fulfilled individual here.
No, but he's unflinching, utterly committed and entirely resolute in his approach to partisanship.

Even a chatbot couldn't be more predictable, dedicated, and able to output so many words conveying so little with such rapidity.

Reactions: pawel86ck and TUROK

FF:Enhanced_Reality

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2017
England
You know the worst thing about modern political culture? We're trying to eradicate racism by stopping people from saying certain words, censoring language and limiting debate. You can no longer use use metaphors or make comparisons that can be seen as racist, you can't do anything institutionally racist or anything that can be conceived as racist. If you perform any act or say anything that has any kind of subliminal hint that you could be racist, then a certain crowd of people won't hesitate to tell you and cancel you out of existence. Regardless of if you are actually racist or not.

Now, more importantly, what I don't understand is, why this guy is dropping the n-bomb (word doesn't offend me but it is bannable so I'll be tact) every other sentence. Can we not coherently form an argument without using this word?

So the n-word or any descriptor of skin colour is completely unacceptable for Caucasian people. It's led to violence, job losses etc. Yet we're just dropping it here like it's hot as Snoop Dogg would say. I wouldn't say this guy does or doesn't know what he's talking about, but I couldn't continue watching the video cause it's just gratuitous n-bombs and blurb. I mean we're being told from those with authority to purge this word from existence to prevent racism yet even people who don't like being called it just say it or call it each other. Perhaps I should trademark Cracker or Honky and introduce myself to other white people with 'Sup cracker?' - except I don't. I feel quite a strong sense of irony here and more than a little hypocrisy.

I'd try and better understand his argument but his video is just cringe worthy. For all his anger about Johns claim, whether he doesn't realise it himself, he doesn't prove the point that he's making.

Reactions: Bogroll

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
Another #HotTake from resident gaffer TUROK. What's next? Calling people bitchy? Calling people nerds for caring? Calling them turbonerds? Have you ever made a decent post on here or do you just drop shitty comments off your high horse?
The latter, mostly. Garbage begets garbage.

You've certainly been paying close attention, though. Either that or you felt the need to browse through my post history.

Chief Devin

Jun 16, 2014
You know the worst thing about modern political culture? We're trying to eradicate racism by stopping people from saying certain words, censoring language and limiting debate. You can no longer use use metaphors or make comparisons that can be seen as racist, you can't do anything institutionally racist or anything that can be conceived as racist. If you perform any act or say anything that has any kind of subliminal hint that you could be racist, then a certain crowd of people won't hesitate to tell you and cancel you out of existence. Regardless of if you are actually racist or not.

Now, more importantly, what I don't understand is, why this guy is dropping the n-bomb (word doesn't offend me but it is bannable so I'll be tact) every other sentence. Can we not coherently form an argument without using this word?

So the n-word or any descriptor of skin colour is completely unacceptable for Caucasian people. It's led to violence, job losses etc. Yet we're just dropping it here like it's hot as Snoop Dogg would say. I wouldn't say this guy does or doesn't know what he's talking about, but I couldn't continue watching the video cause it's just gratuitous n-bombs and blurb. I mean we're being told from those with authority to purge this word from existence to prevent racism yet even people who don't like being called it just say it or call it each other. Perhaps I should trademark Cracker or Honky and introduce myself to other white people with 'Sup cracker?' - except I don't. I feel quite a strong sense of irony here and more than a little hypocrisy.

I'd try and better understand his argument but his video is just cringe worthy. For all his anger about Johns claim, whether he doesn't realise it himself, he doesn't prove the point that he's making.
Bruh just say you're a racist.

brap

Jan 9, 2018
The latter, mostly. Garbage begets garbage.

You've certainly been paying close attention, though. Either that or you felt the need to browse through my post history.
All I've seen from you are shit comments so I took a quick look at your post history to see if I was just noticing your bad posts or all you make are bad posts and it's the latter. Shit comments and whining. Really glad you got unbanned!!

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
All I've seen from you are shit comments so I took a quick look at your post history to see if I was just noticing your bad posts or all you make are bad posts and it's the latter. Shit comments and whining. Really glad you got unbanned!!
Me too! I missed the idiocy of this place.

Remember when a bunch of Gaffers actually thought that guy with the bandages on his face from the MGS5 promotional stuff was some sort of revolutionary CGI tech? Lol, good times.

demigod

Apr 17, 2007

You really should learn the difference between gga and gger. And he’s using the gga.

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2017
England
You really should learn the difference between gga and gger. And he’s using the gga.
You must be joking right? Perhaps not living in the US might be part of why I don't really weigh in much because honestly British people with African heritage to the best of my experience don't use the word and there's a good sized black community in the UK. I'm not saying people don't say it at all but in my experience it's bruv or blood.

I think the view point from the educational and law institutions in the UK is that the N word, regardless of spelling or pronunciation is unacceptable at all costs and just saying it to someone, even on Facebook can be classed as inciting racial hatred and that's a lawful offence so I'm very careful when I try and argue these things, especially when the local police have come to peoples homes and issued warnings for less.

demigod

Apr 17, 2007
You must be joking right? Perhaps not living in the US might be part of why I don't really weigh in much because honestly British people with African heritage to the best of my experience don't use the word and there's a good sized black community in the UK. I'm not saying people don't say it at all but in my experience it's bruv or blood.

I think the view point from the educational and law institutions in the UK is that the N word, regardless of spelling or pronunciation is unacceptable at all costs and just saying it to someone, even on Facebook can be classed as inciting racial hatred and that's a lawful offence so I'm very careful when I try and argue these things, especially when the local police have come to peoples homes and issued warnings for less.
Yes that’s exactly why, you live in the UK. African Americans here use that word all the time(non political). You can even see it in Rumble in the Bronx.

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2017
England
Yes that’s exactly why, you live in the UK. African Americans here use that word all the time(non political). You can even see it in Rumble in the Bronx.
Exactly but the reason I left this forum originally is because even the crowd that left to form Era withheld the same opinion. The word is unacceptable and to a degree, I agree. I'm not against it myself but when it's pretty much in every sentence he just sounds like a muppet. We have the things in the UK called chavs and he sounds exactly like the American counter part to that and I can't even hold conversations with people like this because you can't get a coherent argument out of them. I forced myself to watch through the stupidly long opening and him chat bubbles for 8 or so minutes thereabouts and at the end I was couldn't even decide what point he was trying to make apart from John says I don't know what I'm talking about but I do. You can literally shorten that to a sentence and he doesn't provide and taniable proof or any significance otherwise.

TLZ

Oct 20, 2015
Sydney

Although I agree black people should eradicate that word from their vocabulary because of its history, who am I/are we to tell them so? The same long history until very recently is the same reason it was engrained in their heads. It's in their culture, in their daily lives. So I understand completely. It is upto them to decide, not me or you. Don't you even dare compare ANY "racism" a white man faced to what happened with Black History in America. I'm not going to give you a history lesson here, you can Google it. You can't be so stuck up you judge them based on that. You talk about it like it's such an easy thing and a word they chose to give themselves, not forced on them for hundreds of years.

Imo, anyone here so hung up on the n word (he's black) instead of actually watching it for the good points he's trying to make, is an ignorant. Or is using that as a very lame excuse to attack the guy.

Oh, does he stop being tech illiterate and whiny about fanboy shit at the 8 minute mark?
Why do you think he's tech illiterate?

TLZ

Oct 20, 2015
Sydney

UK history does not equal American history. There's a very valid reason for all this.

Reactions: demigod

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
I went ahead and saw a little bit of his new video.

10:47 mark. He complains about John putting Gears of War 4 on the same graphical pedestal as Uncharted 4, God of War, and Horizon. He sounds like he actually takes offense to the comparison. Off to a great start.

Then a little later he complains about John spending a whole minute and a half talking about the puddle reflections in the Spiderman game, completely ignoring the context that a TON of people were complaining about the supposed puddle downgrade. Of course he was going to address a topic of controversy with some degree of detail. Gears 5 did not have a similar point of contention among the gaming public like the Puddlegate clusterfuck.

Then he complains that John "criticized" Spiderman for not having a dynamic time of day system, and that Gears 5 didn't have the same complaints leveled at it. Spiderman is a true open world game, and time of day systems are very common in those types of games. Gears of War 5's open levels are more akin to Halo 1's open ended levels. Expecting a time of day system in a game like that makes no sense.

Tl;dr, fanboy garbage/10.

The fact that some of you watched this shit and actually thought a good point was being made here is telling.

Last edited:

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2017
England
Although I agree black people should eradicate that word from their vocabulary because of its history, who am I/are we to tell them so? The same long history until very recently is the same reason it was engrained in their heads. It's in their culture, in their daily lives. So I understand completely. It is upto them to decide, not me or you. Don't you even dare compare ANY "racism" a white man faced to what happened with Black History in America. I'm not going to give you a history lesson here, you can Google it. You can't be so stuck up you judge them based on that. You talk about it like it's such an easy thing and a word they chose to give themselves, not forced on them for hundreds of years.

Imo, anyone here so hung up on the n word (he's black) instead of actually watching it for the good points he's trying to make, is an ignorant. Or is using that as a very lame excuse to attack the guy.

Why do you think he's tech illiterate?
Good. I'm glad we agree on that. Although I feel you've missed the rest of my point so I'm just going to bug out at this point because it seems like ya'll are politely telling me to do so.

Plus, I'm not attacking the guy. I'm saying I find it hard to watch his video because of his language. He doesn't even make a point. He literally says "what I'm saying is, I'm stupid" then says John basically blamed the black guy. And I quote word for word.

"what I do give a fuck about though is that mother fucker calling me a liar. And that made me have to make this video because that's how mad I am. I'm low key hot. Because a n**** called me stupid when I was not. A n**** told me I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about when I do. And pretty much all I'm saying right now is, I'm stupid? I'm about you show you n**** just how smart I am. I had to make this quick video, a n**** gotta go. I gotta go, I got shit to do, I make more money than these digital foundry n****. Look it up."

At no point in this 9 minute video does the author of it give any clear account of why John is wrong nor does he provide any evidence that he can critique games from a technical perspective. He literally uses some graphical terms at the beginning of the video before taking about John's post and then goes on a tangent and never really does anything to back it up apart from telling us to wait two days for a video that I've watched a good portion of and still didn't prove anything at all. So as far as I'm concerned this guy is tech illiterate until proven otherwise.

He made a 9 minute video, with an arbitraily long intro, that could be codensed to a sentence, simply "I'm angry that you said what you did on a forum John but I do actually know what I'm talking about and here's why" then actually given some reasons to back up his point.

Im going to leave it at that. Nothing more to say on it really.

I think you meant Rush Hour...?
Hmm love these films but memory serves that Lee tries saying the n word having heard Carter use it and a bar attacks him. I'm not sure it's used again. Not even when talking to Don Cheadle in RH2. Unless you're talking about black culture in which case it's all throughout the films. I just don't remember Carter saying the n word all the time.

The fact that some of you watched this shit and actually thought a good point was being made here is telling.
I know right?

Last edited:

demigod

Apr 17, 2007

10:47 mark. He complains about John putting Gears of War 4 on the same graphical pedestal as Uncharted 4, God of War, and Horizon. He sounds like he actually takes offense to the comparison. Off to a great start.

Then a little later he complains about John spending a whole minute and a half talking about the puddle reflections in the Spiderman game, completely ignoring the context that a TON of people were complaining about the supposed puddle downgrade. Of course he was going to address a topic of controversy with some degree of detail. Gears 5 did not have a similar point of contention among the gaming public like the Puddlegate clusterfuck.

Then he complains that John "criticized" Spiderman for not having a dynamic time of day system, and that Gears 5 didn't have the same complaints leveled at it. Spiderman is a true open world game, and time of day systems are very common in those types of games. Gears of War 5's open levels are more akin to Halo 1's open ended levels. Expecting a time of day system in a game like that makes no sense.

All i see are excuses. Go back and watch it again.

Xaero Testosterone

Formerly 'Xaero Gravity'
May 12, 2013
Canada Eh
The only thing embarrassing is the hate boner this guy has for Gears 5 and Xbox.
I don't think that's being very fair. He brings up some good points and even recommends people buy Gears 5.

Do I agree with the way people on here are needlessly attacking John in a childish manner? No. But I also don't think dismissing King Thrash as simply an anti Xbox One fanboy is right either.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Dec 1, 2012
KTG's initial videos rubbed people the wrong way. At least he has explained what he thinks is going on. DF should comment on that.

Its sad people assume fanboyism here. I dont own a console and never played Gears but i respect DF and what they do. I care how things are presented to people and why i linked the video in the first place.

Aug 28, 2019

10:47 minutes in isn't the start but okay? Why is Gears of War 4 on the same level as those games to you? Also, his real point was about how he always brings up MS exclusives when praising Sony exclusives but not the other way around.

Actually John spent like 5 minutes on those reflections. Do you need a point of contention to address reflections?

Gears 5 becomes open world after Act 1, though. And no it's not like Halo 1, that's disingenuous as shit.

You nitpicked like 3 points dude, his overall argument is that there was NOTHING negative about Gears 5 like there was Spider-Man or God of War, not that it wasn't criticized for the same things, you picked the battles that make your side look best in 45 minutes of footage! What you're doing is absolutely reprehensibly disingenuous and you should honestly feel bad for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Addressing the stuff about TheLastWord and how he "had it coming" I'm really surprised by that perspective. Maybe I don't fully get what's acceptable here but regardless of whether or not his threads stirred heated debate he was making cogent arguments, regardless of your agreement with them. Someone used that ray tracing thread as an example but that's not even just his own words on the issue, he's linking to someone else. I don't really get why he has it coming simply for being clear in his biases, more people here should be so honest.

Last edited:

TLZ

Oct 20, 2015
Sydney

So you're nitpicking? What about the rest of his legit complaints? The shadows, lighting, etc? The glossing over obvious things that were nitpicked elsewhere?

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
10:47 minutes in isn't the start but okay?

Gears 5 becomes open world after Act 1, though. And no it's not like Halo 1, that's disingenuous as shit.
I picked a random point in the video to see if he makes any good points. He didn't.

If you don't see the parallels between the Gears 5 levels and the Halo and Assault on the Control Room levels in Halo 1, then I don't known what to tell you.

Last edited:

demigod

Apr 17, 2007
I picked a random point in the video to see if he makes any good points. He didn't.

If you don't see the parallels between the Gears 5 levels and the Halo and Assault on the Control Room levels in Halo 1, then I don't known what to tell you.
Of course you nitpicked the wrong thing too. John went on about the puddle not once, but about 5 times. Of course you didn't pick the part where Spiderman was climbing the wall.

Open world is open world, stop making excuses for your system of choice.

Aug 28, 2019

That's ridiculous, dude, that is not a way to refute an argument. Imagine going through a person's post on here and just picking one point and thinking you won the whole argument because of it.

Parallels? Halo had relatively open levels you explored in a mostly linear fashion progression-wise, Gears 5 has a legit hub-world with optional stuff littered about it.

• LOL
Reactions: demigod

TUROK

Aug 27, 2010
While you can request the point be plucked from a lengthier article/interview/document, the onus is on yourself to digest and question elements that wholly in context. User reply banned for conduct in this thread subsequently.
That's ridiculous, dude, that is not a way to refute an argument. Imagine going through a person's post on here and just picking one point and thinking you won the whole argument because of it.

Parallels? Halo had relatively open levels you explored in a mostly linear fashion progression-wise, Gears 5 has a legit hub-world with optional stuff littered about it.
Ridiculous is you expecting me to watch 40 minutes of that shit just so I can be all like "ackshully..." This isn't an academic decathlon.

I saw a few minutes of his last video, watched a few minutes of this one. Didn't like anything of what I heard.

The point of the Halo comparison was to illustrate how different the scope of Gears' open world was in comparison to Spiderman's, but eh, I'm tired of this already.

Open world is open world, stop making excuses for your system of choice.
My system of choice is your mother. She says you're grounded.

Last edited: