• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come announced - Realistic open-world first-person Medieval RPG

eXistor

Looks and sounds interesting, it's something that's been gaining in popularity, so I'd say it's high time we get a decent realistic medieval rpg.

Serrato

People, we got it, you expected something based on the graphic novel.
Can we stop stating it every two posts now?

Well it's their fault to name a medieval game with this name, where it makes no sense, where it made sense for the graphic novel. (Which is probably one of the best comics ever made, in my top 10 easy at least)

All in all, looks interesting, maybe the combat system will be good. Maybe.

Sentenza

Well it's their fault to name a medieval game with this name, where it makes no sense, where it made sense for the graphic novel.
How can you even make that claim so confidently?
You have no idea if the name "makes no sense" for the game.

(Which is probably one of the best comics ever made, in my top 10 easy at least)
Well, it's good, but not *that* good, I can think of a lot of better ones.

That said, it's annoying. I see updates in the thread subscription and I come in expecting updates or comments about the game, not people who only contributes with "I thought it was something else entirely, I leave disappointed", especially when the thread title makes absolutely clear what we are talking about here.

Dennis

Banned
This is relevant to my interests.

11448247576_21ccec1cdd_o.gif

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Well it's their fault to name a medieval game with this name, where it makes no sense

An expression taken from the Lord's Prayer doesn't make sense to be used as the title for a game set in the medieval era, which will (presumably, if it indeed lives up to its promises of authenticity) heavily feature religion?

Looks good, but the name...

Lose 'deliverance'. You don't need a fucking subtitle for the first game in the series (if it is indeed), and something like that turns it from short and snappy into Dumb Videogame Name: The Revenge. And taking the same name as an iconic movie AS WELL as a massive DC comic is another misstep. [/rant]

actual game looks nice though. :)

KKRT00

The teaser shows big progress from older footage and is using the newest iteration of CryEngine.

What a pity that they are struggling to find publisher or funding ;\
Kickstarter will probably fail, because they are counting for something like 4-5m$ in funding.

Btw Eurogamer has more info
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-12-19-care-for-a-next-gen-medieval-rpg-with-no-fantasy

--
I think that Crytek should just fund them. It would be the best of both worlds.

Haunted

Realistic medieval times are such an underused setting.

They're almost always imbued with some sort of fantasy element, so I'm actually glad to see that lacking here.

UrbanRats

To be honest the first person perspective is almost enough for me to ignore this, but i've been following their blog for some time now, and it seems like this game will be beyond fascinating.
Plus, realistic setting is a welcome change over another D&D knock off.

Serrato

How can you even make that claim so confidently?
You have no idea if the name "makes no sense" for the game.

Well true, i just thought of the meaning of the quote itself more than what it could mean globally. I accuse my lack of coffee.

An expression taken from the Lord's Prayer doesn't make sense to be used as the title for a game set in the medieval era, which will (presumably, if it indeed lives up to its promises of authenticity) heavily feature religion?

Same thing really, I wrote too fast.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i can't wait until i catch dysentery and die at age 12 having spent most of my life working 16 hours a day

I bought Mount & Blade for my medieval fix but couldn't get passed the jankyness. This looks like it might be what I'm wanting.

Did someone mention there's a Kickstarter?

Derrick01

Banned
I'm really excited by the premise of it and I really hope they can pull something special off. That combat gif is already more impressive than every Elder Scrolls game.

Orayn

Well it's their fault to name a medieval game with this name, where it makes no sense, where it made sense for the graphic novel. (Which is probably one of the best comics ever made, in my top 10 easy at least)

All in all, looks interesting, maybe the combat system will be good. Maybe.

Today I learned that medieval Europe had neither kingdoms nor religion to allude to.

Seanspeed

Banned
Interesting.

I know its really early, but that gif has some janky looking combat, so they'll definitely need to deliver far better to impress me there.

Hope they can deliver. After making fun of 'other' RPG's, it would be a shame if they ended up with a game that might not have these clichés, but fails in every other way.

Realistic medieval times are such an underused setting.

They're almost always imbued with some sort of fantasy element, so I'm actually glad to see that lacking here.

The people in those screenshots look like they wash far too often for it to be considered realistic. If they speak Middle English, Middle French and so on with subtitles, though, I would totally pick this up.

I read the title and excitingly clicked on it without finishing reading the title expecting a game adaptation of this
Kingdom_Come_2.jpg

Instead I got a first person RPG with some impressive combat. Not what I wanted, but pretty good none the less.

Ithil

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/?p=66

I've been following this game ever since this blog post from last year, before the game was titled or even revealed, in which the director talks about how unrealistic the landscapes of RPGs tend to be and how he'd like a realistic scale world while striking a balance with "stuff to do".

I've been following this game ever since this blog post from last year, before the game was titled or even revealed, in which the director talks about how unrealistic the landscapes of RPGs tend to be and how he'd like a realistic scale world while striking a balance with "stuff to do".

I'm loving the fact that he references Red Dead Redemption as a goal to aim for in terms of world size/content in environment.

Colour me tickled pink.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Trailer looks like a poor nextgen title, the screens actually look last gen & not even a good last gen and this is on Cryengine? what platform is this for is a indy title?
This is relevant to my interests.

11448247576_21ccec1cdd_o.gif
Oh dear, what is that?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
i can't wait until i catch dysentery and die at age 12 having spent most of my life working 16 hours a day

Ahahahaha, yeah. I'm all for different takes on games but right out the gate they're opening themselves up to a lot of this. That's without getting into the amount of bodies you're going to leave in your wake in the game world.

Leb

OK, their Skyrim burn has certainly grabbed my attention. Also really loved Mafia 2, so here's hoping...

peakish

Yes, I too have been waiting for some information on the game, Vavra is obviously very clever judging from his blog posts and it will be interesting to see how they manage to step around issues he has brought up in them. Plus, Mafia 1 was pretty great (2 not as much so hopefully he wasn't too involved with it, haha).

Enkidu

I think the combat is still pure Hollywood in that GIF.

I've read that combatants in those times tried to avoid fighting "sword against sword" because it would damage the highly precious war instrument.

Here's a video of how it was for the vikings, at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiIDl_mt2c
The viking age is a few hundred years off from when this game takes place, and that combat style only works when you have a shield. It's true that "sword on sword" isn't exactly practical, but that doesn't mean there weren't fencing styles for it. This is probably more era appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc

Top Bottom