• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom come: Deliverance |OT| Gone King Wenceslas

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I’ve already got the game through Kickstarter, but I’m thinking of waiting to play it until video cards come down in price, so I can upgrade my video card and RAM.

These are my specs:

i5-4670 3.4ghz
8gb DDR3
GeForce GTX 770 4gb

Am I dreaming?

Last edited:

DavidGzz

It's one of those games that anyone who is a fan of the old school RPG's like Morrowind or Daggerfall will love. The bonus on top of the old school deep RPG features are the modern graphics, a great story, and a fun combat system. It's a must buy IMO. Too bad many will avoid because of the bugs which are commonplace in something so ambitious, especially from an Indy studio. I understand if people want to wait a while until more patches hit but trust me, it's already awesome, I'll enjoy the patches on my Agility playthrough. Currently going strength while playing as a cold individual(telling beggars to leave storefronts etc). My agility playthrough will be more soft-hearted lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm concerned about the performance issues on the current patch level, but otherwise this sounds potentially brilliant, with some kinks that can be sorted out as long as they keep at it for a while post-release. Kindly do, Warhorse. Bought.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I'm concerned about the performance issues on the current patch level, but otherwise this sounds potentially brilliant, with some kinks that can be sorted out as long as they keep at it for a while post-release. Kindly do, Warhorse. Bought.

Yeah, all my issues with the game so far are bugs and technical shortcomings. From a gameplay and story perspective it's quite a gem. Really hope they're able to get them sorted out quickly. I'd love to see this kind of game take off.

Edit: Although I think lock picking on consoles needs a massive overhaul.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

A warning to anyone hunting rabbits. So when looting the corpse for the rabbit meat, if you hover over the meat the menu says steal or steal all, if you hover over your arrow it says take or take all. Now I have two separate rabbit hare meat entries in my menu, one is normal, the other has a stolen item indicator, lol. I tried dropping it and picking it back up but it says steal when it's on the ground. Weird bug. Anyway, if you select take all when on your recovered arrow you should be good...

Just a heads up since I was frisked going into town once so far and I suspect that if that "stolen" hare meat is in my inventory I'll have to pay a fine or got to jail.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
A warning to anyone hunting rabbits. So when looting the corpse for the rabbit meat, if you hover over the meat the menu says steal or steal all, if you hover over your arrow it says take or take all. Now I have two separate rabbit hare meat entries in my menu, one is normal, the other has a stolen item indicator, lol. I tried dropping it and picking it back up but it says steal when it's on the ground. Weird bug. Anyway, if you select take all when on your recovered arrow you should be good...

Just a heads up since I was frisked going into town once so far and I suspect that if that "stolen" hare meat is in my inventory I'll have to pay a fine or got to jail.
This game sounds awesome, lol. Can’t wait to play it.

About 20 hours in now. Immersion is top notch and I love the core of the game A LOT. I love how you truly play your own way.

But man....technical issues are really testing my patience. I known patches are on the way. Everything will get sorted out

Whoever said this is less janky than Witcher 1, eh, I dunno about that. It’s charming jank, but it’s still janky as hell

DavidGzz

So, archery seems to be easy mode so far. Kind of like sorcery is the easy mode in Dark Souls. I need to quit sneaking and getting a one-hit sneak kill on Cumans because I need to level my melee, lol. Also, just got my horse finally, his name is Pebbles. :D I didn't get to name him btw. The immersion is great, I love looking down and seeing how good the animation is when on the horse, also, maybe I'm mistaken but these seem to be the best looking horses in a game so far.

DavidGzz

This game sounds awesome, lol. Can’t wait to play it.

It's great. So I was talking to people in Twitch chat and they said the reason that the hare meat says it's stolen is that I'm poaching. Either way, I guess getting around that is by taking everything when retrieving your arrow.

MadYarpen

How is melee fight in this game? Thats my biggest worry tbh, I wouldn't want to play medieval simulator with janky swordfight...

DavidGzz

How is melee fight in this game? Thats my biggest worry tbh, I wouldn't want to play medieval simulator with janky swordfight...

I love it. Just got done taking on my first real challenge in melee. It's simple to create nice combos by using the analog to switch where the attack is coming from. It feels about as realistic as you can get with a controller. One trick I used on him since I'm still a novice is to back up enough to where the bandit started jogging towards me then lunge forward with a stab while his defenses were lowered. Worked pretty well as I got him twice in that manner, the second being the disabling blow. Mercy killed him. Felt great(sounds morbid lol).

Minus the the bugs and performance issues is this a GOTY caliber game? I want to pick it up but seen a few random streams and it's comical to tears you see stuff happening out of the blue.

What is your definition of “runs great?”

By all accounts this game is poorly optimized on console and PC currently

16 hours in and I can heap plenty of praise on this game for a number of reasons but performance and graphics aren’t two of them.

I'm playing on the Xbox 1 X, not PC. I have a 1060 so I could try it out on that but I'd rather play it on X. So yes, it does 'run great' on the X as I stated previously. My definition of running great is it maintains a steady framerate and the environments look absolutely gorgeous on the X.

So, from my personal experience on the X, yes it does indeed Run Great. There's some clipping issues with certain armor that's noticeable in cutscenes (but that's present in MH:W, Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Skyrim, etc), the animations are a little hitch-y when going up ladders or climbing a river bank, but other than that I love it. I'm honestly having no problems, no crashes, no slowdown on the X. I'm only speaking for myself.

And the graphics. Henry looks good, IMO. The other npcs that aren't major not as much, but I mean the Witcher 3 standard NPCs are nothing to write home about either to be honest. The environments though, wow, on the X it looks very very impressive. Sure not all of the textures are super high resolution, but combined/together the whole picture looks great. The lighting and how everything hits the fields/trees/forests is fantastic.

It's one of those games that anyone who is a fan of the old school RPG's like Morrowind or Daggerfall will love.

100% Exactly. It evokes that feeling very early in the game. I've seen a lot of people mention it's like Oblivion, but I would say (like you did) that it's more like Morrowind or Daggerfall instead.

I'm still getting used to the unarmed fighting which if you do that first make give you the wrong impression. The sword fighting is a lot better/flows better, from my experience.

Last edited:

Varvor

Any consensus been reached on best settings to run for 60FPS?

Running a R5 1600/GTX1080/16GB RAM and tried high settings at 1080p, it was no bueno. Lots of harsh dips from 60 down to the 40s/30s and mid 20s at points. Had to cap at 30 to smooth things out.
Pretty much makes my EVGA SC2 cry and runs it all the way to the temp limit when attempting 60FPS at high.

I’m guessing medium settings with high textures would be an okay compromise, but I’m curious as to what settings make the biggest difference to frames in this game while having minimal effect of the overall graphics.

Shadows/lighting/post processing are probably the main culprits.

My i7 4590k/GTX1080 I found that if I set all graphic setting to high, but turn off motion blur and crank up textures to very high...it would run 60 - 50 variable range. Did not see it drop to 40s on these settings.

I do not think this game is in 60fps lock state yet.

DavidGzz

Minus the the bugs and performance issues is this a GOTY caliber game? I want to pick it up but seen a few random streams and it's comical to tears you see stuff happening out of the blue.

Yes, it is for me. The story and immersion alone should make it a contender. It really is a great experience which you can't say for many games. It's one of those games that makes you notice how shallow a review score is to judge a game by.

Just got to Talmberg, about to head out in the night after waking up, before I had to call it for the night.

It's just been the 'intro' at this point, but I'm loving it, this game is exactly what I was hoping for so far.

i7-2600k / 16GB ram / R9290x, running at Very High on 1080p and working great for me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone in it's current state. My friend just had to reload over an hour's worth of progress because his horse would no longer move when mounted.

Hopefully the patch in two weeks will fix these issues because hidden under these glaring technical issues is a fantastic game, but this clearly shouldn't have been sold in the state it's in.

Last edited:
I think this game will be a better experience if you don't try to cheese your way through by save scumming or cheesing enemies.
Like when i was trying to kill some soldiers. They had chain mail, shields and swords. I had a shirt, a club and a shitty bow. I was running around obstacles shooting arrows while walking backwards. It's just stupid immersion breaking.

By the way, damage dealt to my character doesn't seem to be that harsh. I was expecting to be demolished in a single blow.

I can't in good conscience recommend this game to anyone in it's current state. My friend just had to reload over an hour's worth of progress because his horse would no longer move when mounted.

Hopefully the patch in two weeks will fix these issues because hidden under these glaring technical issues is a fantastic game, but this clearly shouldn't have been sold in the state it's in.

This makes it a hell of a lot easier to wait for the February 27th GOG release.

RavageX

Alright guys, which platform should I get it for?

PS4 Pro
Xbox One S
PC with 1050ti, Phenom II X4 965 Black, 12gb(soon)

The PC is currently just an old, old build that I recently started kicking around with again. Has 4gb right now.

Im more than likely just going with ps4, though my Xbox could use some love. Just curious to see what you guys would do/think.

Bl@de

This makes it a hell of a lot easier to wait for the February 27th GOG release.

If they include any patches ... It may also be the release version. GOG has a history with slow patch processes. And we don‘t know if a patch will release until the 27th. I will definetly download it and try. If it has to many severe bugs I will wait for 1-2 months. But I will definetly keep my preorder to support the developer for creating an unique game.

Bluecondor

I bought the PS4 version yesterday and enjoyed the opening section. The setting and world are highly immersive and I was instantly drawn to the characters and the town. The lack of save points is going to to limit my play time right now though, as I already lost about 30-45 minutes of progress yesterday. I will be on the lookout for a workaround to save more frequently, as I often have only 30-45 minutes to play on most weeknights.

UX Genes

PS4 Pro
Xbox One S

The PC is currently just an old, old build that I recently started kicking around with again. Has 4gb right now.

Im more than likely just going with ps4, though my Xbox could use some love. Just curious to see what you guys would do/think.
You should trade in your PS4 Pro and Xbox One S and get an X1X ;)

PS4 Pro
Xbox One S

If you had an X I would say X. Really the choice is between your Pro and the PC. Your PC isn't awful, but this game is pretty demanding at the moment (hoping for optimization fixes soon though).

Bluecondor

Interesting - there are apparently already several ways to save your game. This video explains that you can save by sleeping (even for an hour) and accepting new quests (along with the 100 currency schnapps that allow you to save at any point):

This video also makes it look as if there are campsites in the open world that are save points (which is similar to campsite save points in Horizon Zero Dawn):

I'm going to give the sleep save a try tonight. Assuming that this works, I am in for the long haul, as this should be pretty manageable.

Bluecondor

One piece of advice when you start out - don't watch any of those "tips for starting out in Kingdom Come" videos on Youtube. I just had a huge spoiler dropped on me. :mad:

masterkajo

I played for about two hours today. I really like the story and setting so far. Some awkward animations here or there but nothing too distracting. The only problem I have is low FPS in certain cutscense. Like really low <15fps. It is basically a slideshow. Otherwise the game runs great at 90+ fps (1440p 1080ti on High/Very High settings).

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Once you get out of the introduction quest and your stay at Talmberk, the world really opens up and I must say, it's quite overwhelming in a positive way. It reminds me of the moment the player leaves the sewers in Oblivion, but it's a barn door and you've been beaten the shit out of. There is so much to see and explore, I'm finding it difficult to decide what to focus on.

I did have a confusing moment this evening. I ran through the town at night after spending time sniffing around for chests and when I awoke in the morning, had a guard chasing me. I hadn't a clue how to surrender, so I promptly had my head poked with a sharp sword and died. Found out what it was, though! Apparently, wandering through the town without a light source at night is a big crime, one worthy of death it seems. Still, I've managed to pay off all my debts, so I need not worry about them getting pissed at me down the line.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Once you get out of the introduction quest and your stay at Talmberk, the world really opens up and I must say, it's quite overwhelming in a positive way. It reminds me of the moment the player leaves the sewers in Oblivion, but it's a barn door and you've been beaten the shit out of. There is so much to see and explore, I'm finding it difficult to decide what to focus on.

I did have a confusing moment this evening. I ran through the town at night after spending time sniffing around for chests and when I awoke in the morning, had a guard chasing me. I hadn't a clue how to surrender, so I promptly had my head poked with a sharp sword and died. Found out what it was, though! Apparently, wandering through the town without a light source at night is a big crime, one worthy of death it seems. Still, I've managed to pay off all my debts, so I need not worry about them getting pissed at me down the line.

Oh geez, I've been taking my sweet time with quests, sneaking enjoying the view etc, I wasn't aware I was still in the intro! I have like 12 hours of playtime, lol! This will be a 100+ hour adventure for me at this rate. I can't wait until it opens up. So excited to play today.

I do remember Robard telling me that you need to have a torch while walking through town at night.

no. the quest design is above average, but the rest of the game just doesn't seem good enough

but i think it'll still have some fans among the RPG crowd, especially if the game is actually dynamic/open-ended instead of just being smoke & mirrors designed specifically for a few choice segments.

a lot of people have wanted real role-playing with AAA-quality presentation. this game doesn't get there (the budget required to do that is insane), but at least it tries

DavidGzz

So the whole saving when you sleep isn't a thing. I did notice it saved when I slept before but it hasn't the last two times.

WaterAstro

Is there an archery reticle mod? lol, archery is so weird and not fun when you're missing all the time trying to kill a stupid bunny. Even if you have the same timing and pull, it doesn't land in the same spot. It's so hard to figure out.

This might not be for you, then.

Devs have been pretty clear that this is designed to be an exclusive journey each play through. The way the world reacts to you and your decisions is unique and you gotta embrace it all as part of your journey for that play through.
Uh, then there would be no saving. They literally save the game for you before every major choice event.

Is there an archery reticle mod? lol, archery is so weird and not fun when you're missing all the time trying to kill a stupid bunny. Even if you have the same timing and pull, it doesn't land in the same spot. It's so hard to figure out.

The stupid hare doesn't notice the arrows flying around it. But yeah, i thought i had archery figured out. "If i place the tip of the arrow here at this distance it'll hit it." Nope.
I don't mind it that much to be honest. My bow skill is only 2. I assume it'll get easier later.

WaterAstro

The stupid hare doesn't notice the arrows flying around it. But yeah, i thought i had archery figured out. "If i place the tip of the arrow here at this distance it'll hit it." Nope.
I don't mind it that much to be honest. My bow skill is only 2. I assume it'll get easier later.
Nah, I'm bow level 10, and the sway and stuff doesn't change lol! I should just give up bows. It's so bad.
I also hate the pickpocket mechanic. The cursor moves so slow. The cursor movement isn't crisp. Feels so clunky. Get caught all the time. I don't get it.

Lockpick mechanic is cool, but I wish there was something that really shows if you're about to break the lockpick. I dunno. I'm performing lockpick the same two times. One fails, and the other succeeds. Nothing changed, but I still failed once for some reason.

Doctor_m3ds

Neo Member

PS4 Pro
Xbox One S

Man I have an identical computer and trying to decide between that and my Xbox one. I’m leaning towards pc but just scared my cpu is too old for it, as that’s been the hitch for me a few times.

Stiler

Enjoying my time with the game so far. In Rattay and the game really opens up starting here.

Once you learn melee combat more (feints, dodging, parrying, etc) melee combat becomes a lot more involving.

The thing that the game really drives is a feeling like you are growing as Henry. You start out just an average guy, you aren't a good fighter, you suck at archery, you can't even read. As you play the game and start to develop a bit , even just mildly things already feel different compared to when starting. It is probably one of the best rpgs when it comes to making you feel like you've worked to get better and it actually "Feels" like you're getting better because so many things change as you do.

For example, starting out with a bow you suck so bad, you can't hold an arrow that well , your aim is shaky as heck, but keep at it and you'll be able to hold it longer and have a much tighter aim without your hand shaking all over the place.

The one thing I did change though is the save game. I'm using the save game mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/1?tab=description) which lets you actually manually save whenever you want (without using the schnapps). I did this after I lost about 1 1/2 hours worth of playtime when the game decided to not autosave at all and I had no bed to sleep in. I can understand the point behind wanting your choices and things to matter and be followed through, I get that, but I feel like the save system should be a player choice. Make an "Ironman" mode where the saves are tied to the items/beds for those that want it, for people that have other commiments and need to be able to quit sometimes out of the blue, they need to be able to save without losing a ton of progress.

Also have to say this game has some of the best looking natural/countryside environments in a game to date.
YksRVwM.jpg
Ed917A2.jpg
noegocA.jpg

My i7 4590k/GTX1080 I found that if I set all graphic setting to high, but turn off motion blur and crank up textures to very high...it would run 60 - 50 variable range. Did not see it drop to 40s on these settings.

I do not think this game is in 60fps lock state yet.

I saw a recommendation on the Reddit sub, adding a launch option to use more system RAM. It’s fixed my frames.
Playing on a mix of settings, mostly very high/high, some medium and motion blur and post processing off/lowest.

Still dips to the mid 40s if it’s raining at night, but it’s still smooth (bless gsync). There’s no harsh drops.

RAM
So this one is similar to what we saw with Skyrim and Oblivion back in the day. Long story short here is how you can set the heapsize for the amount of RAM your system has.
In Steam right click on Kingdom Come Deliverance then select properties
Under General click on Set Launch Options
Enter the value appropriate for the amount of RAM you have. To make it easier values are below (thanks for those who had provided this in Steam forums)
for 4 GB use '-heapsize 524288'
for 8 GB use '-heapsize 1048576'
for 12 GB use '-heapsize 1572864'
for 16 GB use '-heapsize 2097152'
for 24 GB use '-heapsize 3145728'
for 32 GB use '-heapsize 4194304'
for 64 GB use '-heapsize 8388608'

DavidGzz

Nice post Stiler, I agree with everything you said. I don't have the luxury of Nexus mods on Xbox, I really could have used it just now, I had to turn the game off after a tough encounter that I was not sure I could overcome again without dying 10 times so I used my last Schnapps.

Stiler

Question: can i improve archery just by using the bow in a shooting range?

Best way I've found to level it is hunting. Though you have to be careful and do it via the hunting questline (In Rattay), because hunting in of itself is considered poaching if you don't have permission and it's considered stealing since you're doing it on royal lands.

Top Bottom