• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom come: Deliverance |OT| Gone King Wenceslas

So I've dipped my toes into this game and so far I'm liking it a lot. First thing I noticed is the amazing scenery. Second thing was the annoying head bobbing that made me feel a little bit nauseous. Unfortunately there is no menu option to turn it off. There is a little workaround by opening the console an entering the following:
cl_bob 0
cl_headbob 0
It doesn't make the head bobbing disappear entirely, especially when standing still, but it's a lot more bearable.

The cozy little stater-town Skalitz is filled to the brim with little details and it's so much fun watching the villagers go around doing their business. It's quite astonishing how alive everything feels, it reminded me a lot of the White Orchard in Witcher 3. I had a lot of fun interacting with the villagers and they did a fine job establishing a relationship with your family.

There is a certain authenticity and humaneness to the people that makes it really easy to immerse yourself into the game. When Sir Radzig came to visit, you really felt his weighty presence. So far, I must applaud the developers for their world-building skills.

After a while you start really getting used to your surroundings, absorbing the medieval setting while getting engaged with the people around you. It's quite evident, that the game values family greatly and it feels good. But then... oh man, it hits you and it hits you hard! I'm not going to spoiler it, but geez... it's not like you've never experienced something like that before, but the way how it's presented is what really drove it home for me.

Another thing I noticed is how the nobility is presented. It's a far cry from the usual snooty bidding and abusive presentation that you're used to. Not that am a big fan of nobility, but it was kinda refreshing to see them in such a welcoming, helpful and polite manner. At least that's the impression you get in the beginning, especially with Lady Stephanie of Talmberg. Although I must admit, her openness is a bit weird and I wonder if there's something more going on. Be that as it may, but that's the sort of thoughts that you're building up while interacting with the personalities in this game.

There is this kind of ambiguity when dealing with your environment that gives this game a very lively vibe and I must admit that I like that a lot. There is this warm yet cold and harsh helpfulness emanating from the characters in this game that is something very middle-ages. Can't really comment on the gameplay aspects that much as I have only skimmed the surface, but so far I'm in the mood for more.

Last edited:

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Her openness and willingness to help you are certainly odd, indeed. During that scene, I kept saying to myself "where are you taking this, lady?" because I thought the interest she shows in Henry is certainly more than just because he was injured delivering the warning. I don't want to think of the consequences if it had gone further than midnight story telling. Henry's quest for revenge would have ended before it even began.

Last edited:

Varvor

Her openness and willingness to help you are certainly odd, indeed. During that scene, I kept saying to myself "where are you taking this, lady?" because I thought the interest she shows in Henry is certainly more than just because he was injured delivering the warning. I don't want to think of the consequences if it had gone further than midnight story telling. Henry's quest for revenge would have ended before it even began.

I thought she wanted that peasant D.

Is that how you about to thank a lord who took you in? But it never went any where....

I suppose shes a Lady Mercy in this cruel world and takes guidance like position to help ya as player out.

Last edited:
Uh oh, rumors the 15gig patch on ps4 downgraded the graphics. This better not be an AC: O thing again.

Luckily I got it on my new X so hopefully this crap doesn't happen to the X version as well.

Edit: Just to add, there is no patch for the Xbox version currently.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

What are those icons indicating by the items? I know there's one for stolen items, but what's this ink stain mean?

I guess it means it's dirty? I dunno. The guard said I have stolen items, but I don't. weird

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Would love to hear some impressions, game looks very interesting and a very decent attempt at authenticity regarding historical accuracy.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I am really digging the authenticity of the setting. Quite immersive and I am only just now running out of the first town. Starts of slow but ramps up pretty quick, heh. :) :(

Man, i love Henry. I love that he is just an average guy. I'm trying to roplay him in a way that would make his father proud.
Not having a custom character was the right choice.

So, i was in the woods hunting hares to improve my archery. Right after sunset i bumped into a group of cumans. Killed one. I managed to outrun the archer but couldn't get rid of the third one.
I tried to fight him but he was kicking my ass. Parrying and riposting everything i threw at him. I managed to run away and mount my horse. He turned around and began to run back to his camp. I was going to leave it at that. But decided to try mounted combat.
Charged towards him and killed him in one single blow to the back. That was so satisfying.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Jeez, the first big battle was tough as nails. Took me a good 2 hours. The feeling of victory was great though! Love this game.

Virex

Banned
Just got my copy delivered. And the game is busy installing and updating. Just have to wait for 23GB to finish downloading. I'm in South Africa so I only have a 10mbps ADSL connection. So I have to wait 5 hours for it to finish downloading. Can't believe the wait is finally over and I get to play it finally

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Jeez, the first big battle was tough as nails. Took me a good 2 hours. The feeling of victory was great though! Love this game.
I fucking despise that quest, nothing about it is fun, I've been stuck on it for 4 hours, and I can't take much more.

DavidGzz

I fucking despise that quest, nothing about it is fun, I've been stuck on it for 4 hours, and I can't take much more.

Let's just say that battle made me pretty good with a bow. I shot 2 of the archers from the doorway after the first quicksave, I then went melee to ensure a lot of my men stayed alive, then I ran up and finished the last couple of archers. I used a bow on the main guy. Got lucky and only had to shoot him twice because the second was a headshot. Stick with it, this pain will pass and the game keeps getting better.

DavidGzz

So, I just now realized that the Miller can teach you how to get better at lockpicking, I haggled him down to 52 gold(can never remember the currency name) and can open easy chests pretty easily now. Wooot

dok1or

that is unfair comparison there is that damn water after rain there, only difference is shadows and ofc textures

Stop pls!!
That is not water after rain! PC version have more details. So simple, it is not rain...

And interior, it looks curent gen VS last gen!

koosa

Banned
Man, screw this game, got a game-breaking bug, can't hit anyone in combat, hit detection just broke for me, i'm swinging sword/fists and it just goes through the enemy. I've even tested it on a dog to be sure, and nope, can't get a hit either. Im playing on xbox.

Senua

Uh oh, rumors the 15gig patch on ps4 downgraded the graphics. This better not be an AC: O thing again.

Luckily I got it on my new X so hopefully this crap doesn't happen to the X version as well.

Edit: Just to add, there is no patch for the Xbox version currently.
You don't want a more stable framerate?

WaterAstro

Hit a quest breaking bug, but I updated the game to 1.2.1 and it fixed if anyone's trying to do that bird trapping quest.

asker

So I just started and reached the Miller and I got giddy when he told me he'd buy my stolen goods. But Henry immediately, without choice responded "I'm no thief", and I see no option to sell items. Is this supposed to be an RPG? I'm thieving so much I can barely waddle back to stash my loot.

ABeezy1388

I stumbled across this game on an Instagram advertisement. Had no idea this game existed. Only to find out it came out this week I was so excited. I am a huge fan of that time period in history and all the old European culture. I instantly went on Amazon and Best Buy to look into buying the game.

I am so tempted but with all the issues being reported I may have to wait. Losing hours of progress from a glitch or bug turns me off immensely. Otherwise this game seems right up my alley.

As a graphics snob.... that PC/PRO/X comparison... wow what a difference. I was looking to pick up on either my X or PRO but knowing how much better that PC version looks (at least in those screens) is kind of depressing.

EDIT: Here is a link to a YouTube comparison of graphics across the three.

Last edited:

drotahorror

So I just started and reached the Miller and I got giddy when he told me he'd buy my stolen goods. But Henry immediately, without choice responded "I'm no thief", and I see no option to sell items. Is this supposed to be an RPG? I'm thieving so much I can barely waddle back to stash my loot.

Slight spoiler on what to do next...

You need to take the ring to the next miller in another town, basically just complete the quest chain

Rellik

Second thing was the annoying head bobbing that made me feel a little bit nauseous. Unfortunately there is no menu option to turn it off. There is a little workaround by opening the console an entering the following:

This is genuine concern for me.

I couldn't play the Wolfenstein games because of the head bobbing. They would make feel really sick after 10 minutes and I had to delete them. It was the same with one of the Crysis games. And since I'd be playing this on console, I'd have no way to turn it off. I'll have to hope they add an option in a later patch.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Let's just say that battle made me pretty good with a bow. I shot 2 of the archers from the doorway after the first quicksave, I then went melee to ensure a lot of my men stayed alive, then I ran up and finished the last couple of archers. I used a bow on the main guy. Got lucky and only had to shoot him twice because the second was a headshot. Stick with it, this pain will pass and the game keeps getting better.
It's the least fun I've ever had with a game in my life. The combat completely breaks during it. I start auto targeting people that aren't anywhere near me while getting whacked by people to the left of me, the AI is atrocious, and the boss battle just isn't fun. Asking me to do this all without healing is infuriating. It's just an awful fucking quest, on top of randomly losing my hit detection. Game is an absolute mess right now.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Eeek, heard there is another 16gig patch to download. Thats like almost 40gig to download before playing. Yeah, I think waiting for a price drop and them fixing the game will be a smart move.

WaterAstro

I think I'll wait a couple of weeks for fixes and stuff, and maybe some mods that make the game better, like archer crosshair or something. I can wait. It has potential.

38 hours in and had to reload saves multiple times due to bugs.

Great experience to be had here once that all gets sorted out

Also, PC has mods. If you have to choose between console and pc even if you have a shitty pc i think that's the way to go.

I’m not sure this a crappy PC would be a great choice for this game currently. It is horribly optimized

Y1wxj0D.jpg

So I finally arrived in Sattay after quite an emotional ride. Had to go through some heartfelt moments. So many ups and downs sprinkled with specks of hope and despair in between, the story is such an engaging roller-coaster. I quite like how to game puts you into the role of some regular shmoe who's oftentimes quite helpless in the sense that things don't always work out as planned and force you to kinda go with the flow. You're not the 'chosen one' and the world doesn't revolve around you. In fact, you're actually quite weak and vulnerable and more often than not dependent on the help and good-will of others.

Had to witness some truly horrifying things and encountered a group of bandits who quickly bashed my head in. You learn quite quickly that you can't just waltz around under the assumption that you can strike down your foes like flies. It's certainly not a power trip.

DavidGzz

Finally out of peasant status. Knight armor, pimped out Pebbles. 35 hours in and only level 11 haha. I wonder what the cap is. I've gotten good with the bow, get rabbits and deer within 2 shots most of the time. Also, have the hang of lockpicking very easy and easy locks. The training helped but also the practice with the sticks over time. In a way, getting slowly better at the game reminds me of how I progressed in Dark Souls the more I played.

Last edited:
Okay, the weekend, finally some time to play this. Tried lockpicking finally to see what the fuss is about.

Yeah...NO. I won't even bother being a thief or getting frustrated in this game with that. I love the game, but there's a reason there's no need to reinvent the wheel with certain mechanics. There's several other games that have done this right, this is....bad. Almost need two people on one controller to do this. I'd rather it's just a dice roll based on your skill than this.

I'll just go the honorable swordsmen route.

Edit: The only way I can think that they could fix lockpicking on a controller is to not have the cursor reset to center.

Last edited:

Hissing Sid

Gawd I’m itching to try this.

As a veteran of Daggerfall the bug reports don’t phase me too much and honestly, I’m finding the Ye Olde RPG vibes hard to resist.

But then I was itching to try the sealed games I currently have queued up waiting to be played.

So many itches, so few hands.

Nope I’m gonna have to be strong.

I’m enjoying reading the user impressions though.

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
Playing this morning, I'm having the game freeze a lot more often. I thought I'd restart because I felt I had chosen the wrong perks for the type of character I wished to play. Waking up in Rattay Mill, if I make my way near the castle or further than the bathhouse, the game seems to freeze and close automatically.

A tad annoying because I had lost some progress. I had made a good sum of money, leveled my speech and herbal skill, invested in perks and ticked a few objectives on some ongoing quests. I can do it all again, sure - but I don't really fancy talking to all the villagers and listening to the same lines all over. Hopefully, that "week one" patch arrives on Xbox soon to potentially fix these issues.

I am enjoying the game though. I find the combat fun and walking (or riding) to and from the towns relaxing, especially as the OST is beautiful.

Last edited:
Stop pls!!
That is not water after rain! PC version have more details. So simple, it is not rain...

And interior, it looks curent gen VS last gen!
Its nice to see it was made for PC first and not the other way around. Lockpicking is also better with a mouse.

Had a nice experience while rescuing a certain noble from some bandits. Armored Cuman and an archer. Cuman rushes me and engages in sword fighting, I keep the archer directly behind him in my line of sight, arrow erupts from chest of Cuman, kneels over, I finish him off then slaughter the archer. That was quite satisfying.

I have a new PC being built currently and I can't wait to try this out on it. I read that there's a big patch due in a week or so, so this may work out well for me.

The woodland/forests are probably the best I have ever seen - that includes the Witcher 3 and Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. I have spent my gaming life (35 years) seeking out the most immersive woodland environment - to my mind this is it.

DavidGzz

Okay, the weekend, finally some time to play this. Tried lockpicking finally to see what the fuss is about.

Yeah...NO. I won't even bother being a thief or getting frustrated in this game with that. I love the game, but there's a reason there's no need to reinvent the wheel with certain mechanics. There's several other games that have done this right, this is....bad. Almost need two people on one controller to do this. I'd rather it's just a dice roll based on your skill than this.

I'll just go the honorable swordsmen route.

Edit: The only way I can think that they could fix lockpicking on a controller is to not have the cursor reset to center.

Trust me, I hated it as much as you at first, I could not understand how they could make it so bad but then I got some training from a thief(Shepek the miller) and it was much easier. You play a blacksmiths son, not someone who has ever picked a lock. They are trying to make it as realistic as they can. There are very hard locks and the game even tells me, it is too hard for my skill level. I use a controller, btw. I place the controller down on my desk or coffee table depending on where I'm playing and grab the sticks as if they are the locking picking tools.

I do love how this game applies friendly fire to the enemy. If you're smart you can make encounters more doable by letting them arrow their buddy in the back, lol.

Also, your body weight can kill an enemy. I was watching a streamer who accidentally dropped his melee weapon, he kept running around trees while shooting enemies, they would surrender and he'd beat them with his fists and then kill them by jumping on their unconscious body 2-3 times. I was rolling, lol!

Last edited:
Trust me, I hated it as much as you at first, I could not understand how they could make it so bad but then I got some training from a thief(Shepek the miller) and it was much easier. You play a blacksmiths son, not someone who has ever picked a lock. They are trying to make it as realistic as they can. There are very hard locks and the game even tells me, it is too hard for my skill level. I use a controller, btw. I place the controller down on my desk or coffee table depending on where I'm playing and grab the sticks as if they are the locking picking tools.

Yeah I get it's hard like the bow at first (which I did great with, beat the noble first try), I just don't like the movement of it on a controller. It feels...wrong. Maybe I'll go back and try it later, they are supposed to be patching it in some form later on. I'm just enjoying the game and didn't want to bash my head against that mechanic at present. I really want to play a pure thief, or as close as possible, build, but I'll settle for a swordsman build on my first playthrough.

But yeah, I can see how what you're saying makes more sense. You have to play with the analogs (for lockpicking) it as if it's an arcade machine like TMNT or something. I dunno, maybe lockpicking would be easier with a fight stick lol, or double trackballs.

Edit: Whoa, going down steep hills on a horse might not be the smartest thing. At least with low horsemanship. I flew off into a ditch.

Last edited:

koosa

Banned
So i managed to get rid of ,,pacifist bug'' i've mentioned (couldn't land a hit on anything) by reinstalling the game, and i've played 15 hours total. Here are my brief thoughts - the world created by Warhorse is the best thing about this game, i'm in love with the way it looks, the countryside and forests are fun to explore because they look so natural and realistic. Same goes for towns, i enjoy taking casual strolls around Rattay. Walking around aimlessly in KCD is an ASMR-like experience to me, and i love it.
Unfortunately, i can't praise gameplay mechanics. The illusion of hardcore rpg lasted for about 10 hours until i saw some cracks in the system and since then the game became super easy. Sneaking is overpowered because of brain dead AI (just choke any tough enemy and finish him off easily while he's unconcious). The combat's broken too - specifically bows. If you have trouble with some tough baddie in chainmail, just take out your bow and shoot him in the face 3-4 times at point-blank range, i've cheesed mid-game boss easily that way. Also, once you figure out lockpicking you're the richest man in Bohemia, so money's not an issue too. So, while the game tries to not make my life any easier, it wasn't playtested enough (probably due to budget constraints and small dev team), only 15 hours in, and i already feel invincible and OP because of busted AI, bows and having really good equipment, it killed the immersion of role-playing an average peasant.

This game's a gem, but it needs at least another year in the oven to make it truly great. The gameplay needs a lot of fixing and rebalancing, and there are plenty of bugs and other technical annoyances (those damn loadings before dialogues).

WaterAstro

Anyone playing with a controller? I wonder if combat is easier on controller because it's a bit clunky on the mouse, especially trying to attack in the middle. Jerk your mouse a little and you can't attack middle anymore.

DavidGzz

So i managed to get rid of ,,pacifist bug'' i've mentioned (couldn't land a hit on anything) by reinstalling the game, and i've played 15 hours total. Here are my brief thoughts - the world created by Warhorse is the best thing about this game, i'm in love with the way it looks, the countryside and forests are fun to explore because they look so natural and realistic. Same goes for towns, i enjoy taking casual strolls around Rattay. Walking around aimlessly in KCD is an ASMR-like experience to me, and i love it.
Unfortunately, i can't praise gameplay mechanics. The illusion of hardcore rpg lasted for about 10 hours until i saw some cracks in the system and since then the game became super easy. Sneaking is overpowered because of brain dead AI (just choke any tough enemy and finish him off easily while he's unconcious). The combat's broken too - specifically bows. If you have trouble with some tough baddie in chainmail, just take out your bow and shoot him in the face 3-4 times at point-blank range, i've cheesed mid-game boss easily that way. Also, once you figure out lockpicking you're the richest man in Bohemia, so money's not an issue too. So, while the game tries to not make my life any easier, it wasn't playtested enough (probably due to budget constraints and small dev team), only 15 hours in, and i already feel invincible and OP because of busted AI, bows and having really good equipment, it killed the immersion of role-playing an average peasant.

This game's a gem, but it needs at least another year in the oven to make it truly great. The gameplay needs a lot of fixing and rebalancing, and there are plenty of bugs and other technical annoyances (those damn loadings before dialogues).

I saw someone else complain of being OP too soon. I'm so glad I played it slow and just now figured lockpicking out 35 hours in. I also don't do the sneak thing for taking out enemies. I got to enjoy growing slowly from peasant to soldier. Sorry that you skipped the best part. :(

I saw someone else complain of being OP too soon. I'm so glad I played it slow and just now figured lockpicking out 35 hours in. I also don't do the sneak thing for taking out enemies. I got to enjoy growing slowly from peasant to soldier. Sorry that you skipped the best part. :(

That's basically my route. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Anyone playing with a controller? I wonder if combat is easier on controller because it's a bit clunky on the mouse, especially trying to attack in the middle. Jerk your mouse a little and you can't attack middle anymore.

Melee combat is fairly comfortable on a controller, not so much lockpicking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom