• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom come: Deliverance |OT| Gone King Wenceslas

DavidGzz

Too late to edit my post but here are some examples. I broke into a home, broke a lockpick on a chest inside and woke up the resident, I then beat him unconscious. The next morning a guard approached me and fined me. I had to either live with that or reload a save from 20 min earlier, I decided to pay and move on. With a save anywhere feature I would have saved right before I attempted the lockpicking. This is a game that tries to give you a sense of realism, having zero consequences would diminish their vision. I know you will probably come back saying for a game about realism there sure are a lot of bugs or something else. I personally hope they keep it the way it is but there are enough people complaining I can see them letting people save more often. It will be sad but oh well. I'm just glad I am most likely more than halfway through the game before it's implemented because I know that if it's there I will probably use it. We all have our opinions, we can agree to disagree the same way people agree to disagree about Dark Souls or Bloodborne having an easy mode.

I just did that battle with the boss fight at the end. I guess i was way overleveled because the whole thing was a cake walk. I just parried him and hit him once and it was over. Very anticlimatic.
Henry in my game is a fooking hero. Respected, loved everywhere. Traders refer to him as a knight. Henry's father would've been proud.

He murdered two civilians. But they had it coming. And he cheats on dice games. But no one will ever know.

Something that i do a lot in KCD that i don't in other games is to drink alcohol. My Henry is often under the influence of booze. I like the screen effects and silly animations when he is drunk.

Last edited:

Dargor

Aside from fixing the bugs and improving the performance, the only thing I wish they would add is a simpler way of washing our gear, like a place where you go just to wash them and we get to chose what pieces are washed, like when repairing armor at the armorsmith.

Right now, at least for me, the only way of cleaning my gear is having to take 3 baths.

I have 3 different sets, one for defense, one for charisma and a third one for the sneaking and hunting (which I mainly use for hunting since I'm not a fan of sneaking).

WaterAstro

Aside from fixing the bugs and improving the performance, the only thing I wish they would add is a simpler way of washing our gear, like a place where you go just to wash them and we get to chose what pieces are washed, like when repairing armor at the armorsmith.

Right now, at least for me, the only way of cleaning my gear is having to take 3 baths.

I have 3 different sets, one for defense, one for charisma and a third one for the sneaking and hunting (which I mainly use for hunting since I'm not a fan of sneaking).
Only wenches have the skills to do that!

WaterAstro

The Save on Quit mechanic will be a good compromise between convenience and realism
Nah, save on sleep. They also limit sleep so you can't sleep all the time or for too long, and you can't also sleep anywhere, so you have to do it where there's a free bed.

DavidGzz

I think that would be dumb and they may as well just let people save anywhere. People are just going to quit and reload all the time lol

lefty1117

Gold Member
I think that would be dumb and they may as well just let people save anywhere. People are just going to quit and reload all the time lol

The last save on quit is deleted when you load into the game. If you quit right before a fight, when you load back in the save is deleted and you'd revert to your last normal save (sleep, quest save, etc) if you died. You won't be able to cheese a fight by quitting right before you trigger it and continuously reloading that save. That save will be deleted the next time you load.

People want a way to quickly save to get out of the game when Real Life happens, this is a good way to allow for that and still allow for a game where your choices matter.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
I really want to play this game but with all the bugs and glitches I think I'll wait. Fun reading everyone's experiences. I'll grab it sooner or later for sure.

WaterAstro

The last save on quit is deleted when you load into the game. If you quit right before a fight, when you load back in the save is deleted and you'd revert to your last normal save (sleep, quest save, etc) if you died. You won't be able to cheese a fight by quitting right before you trigger it and continuously reloading that save. That save will be deleted the next time you load.

People want a way to quickly save to get out of the game when Real Life happens, this is a good way to allow for that and still allow for a game where your choices matter.
Oh we're talking about different things then. That's a nice, convenient feature.

I'm talking about when people here say they don't want save anytime because they want people to live with consequences, then I think they should remove all saves except it will save when you sleep.

DavidGzz

Oh we're talking about different things then. That's a nice, convenient feature.

I'm talking about when people here say they don't want save anytime because they want people to live with consequences, then I think they should remove all saves except it will save when you sleep.

I don't see anyone saying they want all or nothing just people saying they want to play the game the way the developer intended it to be played. Noone wants to "Take muh saves away".

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Some news about future patch notes. 1.3 seems to have improved pickpocket minigame, so maybe they're changing a lot of other things. I'll check back then, maybe.
I don't see anyone saying they want all or nothing just people saying they want to play the game the way the developer intended it to be played. Noone wants to "Take muh saves away".
People are saying developers intended for your choices to have permanent consequences, so that's why you can't save anytime. If that were true, then they should take saving away with schnapps and autosaving at major quest points.

DavidGzz

Some news about future patch notes. 1.3 seems to have improved pickpocket minigame, so maybe they're changing a lot of other things. I'll check back then, maybe.

People are saying developers intended for your choices to have permanent consequences, so that's why you can't save anytime. If that were true, then they should take saving away with schnapps and autosaving at major quest points.

That just sounds like your personal opinion on it. I figured you wouldn't be down with them making it, even more, punishing. Let's just wait and see what they do.

WaterAstro

That just sounds like your personal opinion on it. I figured you wouldn't be down with them making it, even more, punishing. Let's just wait and see what they do.
Eh, when they don't offer saving anywhere, but they autosave before all major points in the quest, then they're pretty confused on the point of consequence.

I'm just saying they should go one way or the other. Right now, the lack of saving anywhere is hampering the fun out of a sandbox rpg, and the autosaving and schnapps takes out the seriousness of choice and consequence.

DavidGzz

Eh, when they don't offer saving anywhere, but they autosave before all major points in the quest, then they're pretty confused on the point of consequence.

I'm just saying they should go one way or the other. Right now, the lack of saving anywhere is hampering the fun out of a sandbox rpg, and the autosaving and schnapps takes out the seriousness of choice and consequence.

To me, they found a happy middle ground. It doesn't need to be all or nothing. I haven't had a Schnapps in a long time, I have to find a camp or home to save for the most part since I am not progressing the story very quickly. They give you a taste of consequence without making it completely annoying. They also do that with other features like nourishment, it's a lot easier to keep hunger at bay when most areas have boiling pots of soup plus you get hungry pretty slowly compared to a lot of other survival games.

koosa

Banned
Saving was not an issue within my 15 hours i've spent with the game, i was actually surprised it saves so frequently, i only used 2 shnapps. They should focus on bugs, improving AI and balancing gameplay, the game is too easy to cheese and not hardcore at all. I may sound like a dick, but i usually bounce off the hardcore rpgs like divinity or torment or even j-rpgs (couldnt get past 1st persona 4 dungeon, or the 2nd boss in FF XIII-2), they're too hard for me, i'm not a hardcore rpg player at all, but this game's difficulity was disappointing, even in skyrim i wasnt so OP after 15 hours.

WaterAstro

Saving was not an issue within my 15 hours i've spent with the game, i was actually surprised it saves so frequently, i only used 2 shnapps. They should focus on bugs, improving AI and balancing gameplay, the game is too easy to cheese and not hardcore at all. I may sound like a dick, but i usually bounce off the hardcore rpgs like divinity or torment or even j-rpgs (couldnt get past 1st persona 4 dungeon, or the 2nd boss in FF XIII-2), they're too hard for me, i'm not a hardcore rpg player at all, but this game's difficulity was disappointing, even in skyrim i wasnt so OP after 15 hours.
Well, they don't have to worry about saving because someone made a mod on the day it launched. lol

Too bad for consoles though.

It's hard in the beginning. Then it becomes skyrim. Hell, even easier. You don't even need to cheese the AI. With decent armor and weapons and certain skills Henry becomes the terminator.
Save is a non issue. Just sleep for one hour in any bed. Unlike skyrim you don't need to own the bed.
This game is in need of some serious difficulty overhaul.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It feels a lot like The Witcher, except from the perspective of Level 1 Ignorant Adolescent Kid instead of King Badass, which is really compelling, especially paired with the skill based combat and the improvement-by-doing RPG mechanics. The wider world you're thrust into is intimidating and unforgiving. The worldbuilding is top notch with many historically accurate fine details. Every inch of progress you make must be earned. Reaching the point where NPCs recognize and respect you by default and you can stare down a squad of armored combatants and visualize how they're going to be systematically dismantled over the next 30 seconds...that's the shit right there. The world's reactivity and acknowledgement of your capabilities is so cool. Like when your combat levels get high enough, you *can* choose the Geralt dialogue option and people will back the fuck off, but it'll be because you've cleaned the bloodstains off your sword a hundred times and trained with Captain Bernard from dawn to dusk until he can't touch you, not because you chose some Intimidate perk on level up.

Game is absolutely brilliant.

bronk

Banned
It feels a lot like The Witcher, except from the perspective of Level 1 Ignorant Adolescent Kid instead of King Badass, which is really compelling, especially paired with the skill based combat and the improvement-by-doing RPG mechanics. The wider world you're thrust into is intimidating and unforgiving. The worldbuilding is top notch with many historically accurate fine details. Every inch of progress you make must be earned. Reaching the point where NPCs recognize and respect you by default and you can stare down a squad of armored combatants and visualize how they're going to be systematically dismantled over the next 30 seconds...that's the shit right there. The world's reactivity and acknowledgement of your capabilities is so cool. Like when your combat levels get high enough, you *can* choose the Geralt dialogue option and people will back the fuck off, but it'll be because you've cleaned the bloodstains off your sword a hundred times and trained with Captain Bernard from dawn to dusk until he can't touch you, not because you chose some Intimidate perk on level up.

Game is absolutely brilliant.
Damn! I was planning on holding off and waiting for things to get ironed out. You make it sound so awesome though and I'm between games. Hmmmm

WaterAstro

Damn! I was planning on holding off and waiting for things to get ironed out. You make it sound so awesome though and I'm between games. Hmmmm
I think they have updates coming soon and frequently. I'm waiting for 1.3 where they improve pickpocketing and lockpicking.

KevinKeene

Banned
Annoying question, pardon, but to those who've played the game several hours: is it goty-material? Maybe once bugs are removed?

Everything about this game sounds fantastic, so I'm trying to gauge what to expect. Although I'm currently knee-deep in Skyrim, so it'll be some more time.

DavidGzz

Annoying question, pardon, but to those who've played the game several hours: is it goty-material? Maybe once bugs are removed?

Everything about this game sounds fantastic, so I'm trying to gauge what to expect. Although I'm currently knee-deep in Skyrim, so it'll be some more time.

I think so but I also love medieval games despite some jank. I also think some people are so critical of certain games while not caring about other games with jank. For example, people in twitch streams making fun of lip sync animations, yet the streamer is a big Dark Souls player where there is no lip movement at all, lol. Anyway, the feeling of progression, world building, immersion, music, graphics, and combat are all great IMO. It's unique overall and devoid of DLC and other microtransactions. My current GoTY.

This game is something special but i don't think it's GOTY material. It has a heart. It has some very good ideas. But it needs some polish and some serious balancing.
I'd compare it to Witcher 1.

Take your time with skyrim. By the time you start playing KCD hopefully it will be less glitchy. And if you're on pc there will be tons of mods. Such as this.

Dunki

I agree with you David. I understand what they are going for with the save mechanic. It isn't for anyone but it fits within the vision of the devs.
The idea is great and unique for sure. But if you implement something like this you would hope that you wont lose progress due to many bugs or errors in the game.

RavageX

I finally got the game yesterday for ps4 pro, have only got as far as going back to the starting town to take care of your parents, and thus far I think the game is an amazing experience. I am fine with the save mechanic, you just need to be careful really.

I have only ran into a couple bugs but nothing game breaking. Honestly I wouldn't even wait till patches if you are thinking about getting the game, it's enjoyable now.

cucuchu

I've had this downloaded on my XBOX One X but waiting on a patch or two before I jump in (MHW addiction still in full force anyways)..

I gotta say though, this game seems hit all the right marks and from the videos/streams I've seen kind of reminds of me the Ultima series and I have been craving a difficult, old school RPG for a while. My only hope is that they implement a harder setting in the game because it seems like some people are just trouncing opponents in the game with little to no difficulty. I don't want to have to artificially limit myself like I did in Oblivion/Skyrim so I can maintain a sense of threat in combat.

Seems I can finally play with a faultless 60FPS. Dunno if it’s due to patches (I downloaded a 200mb one earlier), the RAM allocation trick, or just putting shadows and post processing down a few notches. Either way, I’m not complaining. Game looks really damn good and is running buttery smooth for me now.

Velius

Banned
Seems I can finally play with a faultless 60FPS. Dunno if it’s due to patches (I downloaded a 200mb one earlier), the RAM allocation trick, or just putting shadows and post processing down a few notches. Either way, I’m not complaining. Game looks really damn good and is running buttery smooth for me now.
What's your rig like?

I got a GTX 1080 and an i5 4690k Devil's Canyon overclocked. I'd like to get this game for PC if it's going to run really well.

ABeezy1388

I caved. Just bought it online at Best Buy for local pick up. Going to stop in and snag it after work. If its overly buggy for my liking I will just quit playing until its stable enough to enjoy. However some friends have it and said its not all that bad an no worse then Skyrim back on the PS3/360 days. (Let me tell ya, the PS3 verison had some serious frame rate issues after your save game became large).

Needless to say I am excited. I am super groggy and drowsy today so I think I am going to skip the gym and play this all night. Oops. lol

What's your rig like?

I got a GTX 1080 and an i5 4690k Devil's Canyon overclocked. I'd like to get this game for PC if it's going to run really well.
1080 and R5 1600. I'll get a screenshot of my in game settings if you're interested since full ultra settings will bring even the 1080 to it's knees. Generally, a mix of very high and high with max draw distance and some settings off/low has the game looking and playing really well.

I finally got the game yesterday for ps4 pro, have only got as far as going back to the starting town to take care of your parents, and thus far I think the game is an amazing experience. I am fine with the save mechanic, you just need to be careful really.

I have only ran into a couple bugs but nothing game breaking. Honestly I wouldn't even wait till patches if you are thinking about getting the game, it's enjoyable now.

So it's actually not THAT buggy and fully playable and not what i have seen in a few streams? It was kind of ridiculous to witness it tbh.

I decided that I’m not going to wait for further patches and grab this for the weekend. It just sounds so fucking rad. Gonna grab the Quad version to run on dat dere Pro.

So it's actually not THAT buggy and fully playable and not what i have seen in a few streams? It was kind of ridiculous to witness it tbh.

It’s buggy as hell. I’m on a break after plugging in about 48 hours. I’m waiting for patches now.

It’s an amazing experience but it’s buggy as hell right now. No way around it

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Bugs seem to vary from user to user, but for me (20 hours in) horse getting stuck bug been the only main one.

Runs great too on my 3770K/980OC too...which I didn't think it would (everything on high).

WaterAstro

Bugs seem to vary from user to user, but for me (20 hours in) horse getting stuck bug been the only main one.

Runs great too on my 3770K/980OC too...which I didn't think it would (everything on high).
I get that a lot. I just get off and whistle so he gets fixed.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I don't think this game is a GOTY material, but the next one in the series will definitely be a contender since it's likely to have considerably more resources behind it. I'd like to see something set in the Battle of Hastings period, Dark Ages in England.

Christ all mighty, someone said they were "literally crying over this news IRL"

Well there’s an additional detail in that post that makes it extra special 🤓

I take it you bounce back and forth for shits and to see the madness?

I could never join there. I’d feel dirty and wrong. I feel dirty enough just going over and screencapping ban messages and hilarious posts. The Minnie Mouse character is THE best.

WaterAstro

Even though there are problems, it's good to see the game do well while Bethesda messed about with an MMO and card game.

As for that other forum thing, I didn't want to comment on it, but I took a look and it's like Off-Topic affecting the gaming section lol.

Top Bottom