• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance sold over 500K in first two days, 300k on Steam

Kacho

They've now sold a million in two weeks. Despite the devastating 'boycott' from the usual suspects.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/02/22/kingdom-come-deliverance-has-sold-1-million-copies/

Good.

The only reason I heard about this game in the first place was because of the REEEEEEing on ERA. Then, after looking into the game more, said "hey this actually looks pretty good!" To see this game sell so well in spite of the tired internet outrage is hilarious.

Hopefully the success of this game will encourage others to make more complex RPGs since there is clearly a demand for it.

Gundam

Neo Member
I think this is the next witcher and KCD is like witcher 1: buggy, lack polish but unique and has some great ideas.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This is hilarious:

"I'm literally crying IRL over this news" made me laugh out loud IRL.

That is a bit odd. I am sure they are exaggerating, but if they *are* crying about how a game they dislike is doing well, they need to seek professional help. However, that site only digs its own grave even further. Eventually it will become a shell of its former self.

That is a bit odd. I am sure they are exaggerating, but if they *are* crying about how a game they dislike is doing well, they need to seek professional help. However, that site only digs its own grave even further. Eventually it will become a shell of its former self.

That forum was created by a dude who tried to start a Hat in Time boycott in this very forum. It never had a "former self".

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That forum was created by a dude who tried to start a Hat in Time boycott in this very forum. It never had a "former self".

I joined during the first two weeks it was open. It was quite nice, to be honest. There weren't mods who banned immediately over every little thing and the topics stayed on video games (for the most part). I may have just been lucky to avoid the ugly head that was the authoritarian left moderation team for as long as I did.

I joined during the first two weeks it was open. It was quite nice, to be honest. There weren't mods who banned immediately over every little thing and the topics stayed on video games (for the most part). I may have just been lucky to avoid the ugly head that was the authoritarian left moderation team for as long as I did.
I think it just took a while for all of them to make their way there. That screen grab above is appalling. How do these people make it through the day?

Yeah I think you were lucky and they were still warming up. You give people with authoritarian tendencies and a moral excuse any kind of power and eventually they will power trip. A guy there was warned for saying in other words "I don't care about who the artist is as long as the art is good", that's fucking ridiculous.

On another note, there's a guy there who said he wished Vávra was replaced which laugh my ass off he created the fucking studio. Come on, research before you get outraged.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
For those who have played this, I'm a little turned off from what I've seen in the combat. Can you explain how this works, because without playing it, it looks so slow and boring to me. Obviously you guys are enjoying it...I'd like to know more about what I'm missing here.

Kacho

It's comments like this that really blow my mind:

The gaming community failed PoC and minorities on this one. Should have been an industry-wide boycott of Vavra, instead it's a runaway success.

Bleh.

It's clear these people don't understand that a large portion of the gaming community has zero interest in identity politics. People just want to be entertained by fun games. The horror.

KevinKeene

Banned

It's clear these people don't understand that a large portion of the gaming community has zero interest in identity politics. People just want to be entertained by fun games. The horror.

It's worse, because WHY would PoC punish a game that's only 'fault' is being historically correct?

Velius

Banned
It's worse, because WHY would PoC punish a game that's only 'fault' is being historically correct?

One of them said something to the effect of "I hope the majority of the developers move on to different studios."

Yep. "Hey guys, bad news. We sold a million copies in days. Time to pack up and look for greener pastures!"

Kacho

Exactly. It's absurd.

From what I understand, the initial issue was the game not having PoC. Then when Vavra refused to bend they went on a witch hunt in an attempt to bury the guy? Saw a picture of Arthur Gies on Twitter trying to show Vavra that PoC existed back then so therefore they must be in the game. Absolute insanity.

Guys, I’m letting you know right now if SuckerPunch’s Japanese 13th/14th century samurai epic Ghost of Tsushima doesn’t have blacks there will be hell to pay.

VAL0R

Banned
Well deserved in my opinion. Good example of why it's important to stick to your original vision instead of bowing to public pressure.

Why, what was the controversy?

Update: I see this was answered above. Thanks.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Guys, I’m letting you know right now if SuckerPunch’s Japanese 13th/14th century samurai epic Ghost of Tsushima doesn’t have blacks there will be hell to pay.

full

It is going to be more about Western developers creating a game that sets in Japan.

Like more of a “What makes them think they have a right to do this?” sort of thing?

Yeah I can see that.

Or: “Look at whitey, once again thriving in what they’re best at: colonization. This time they’re taking over Japanese videogame settings.”

Spheyr

Banned
I'm just waiting "patiently" for my GOG copy to become available. I don't do DRM when I don't have to.

MiserlyNubian

Neo Member
I partly disagree with the phrase public pressure. It wasn't exactly public pressure, it was a loud minority that is well-organized so it very often bullies the gaming industry to do what they demand otherwise they start acting like petulant children. (like they do now with KCD)

I really hope developers learn a lesson from this and start ignoring or even fighting back against these annoying bullies, the game's big success only proves how absolutely irrelevant they are.

Are you kidding? NO one can make developers do what they want except shareholders and CEOs. It's quite convenient to frame these people as bullies when gamers threaten and harass people who publish articles and videos critical of the games they love.

MiserlyNubian

Neo Member
Long story short the identity politics obsessed were upset because the developer dared to be historically accurate and not include black people in their game, and let's not forget this is a European dev and there aren't many black people on their country even now but who cares, DIVERSITY! The dev reacted by wearing a stupid shirt making fun of them and then the identity politics obsessed became Kingdom Come: Deliverance obsessed. And even though the game was snubbed by both them and the gaming "press" it currently enjoys huge success which shows how much they matter.

Dude said he wanted to be historically "accurate" specifically so he could exclude black people and other POC which is pretty backwards and pretty much foreclosures certain potentially interesting storylines. If he had simply said he was making a game set in the Kingdom of Bohemia and wanted to keep it historically accurate no one would have had a problem.

MiserlyNubian

Neo Member

That's BS, otherwise they wouldn't complain about the presence of POC in a little video game.

MiserlyNubian

Neo Member

And comments like this is why people think gamers are racist. Why are you people alway talking about black people as if we don't game either. Leave us out of your petty grievances.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Jeff Gerstmann is a hack and I don't mean that because of this game, he has always been one.

Eh, I don't consider him a hack. While I do disagree with his opinions more often than not, I do find that he has (or at least had) a good deal of respect that came from not bowing down to corporate heads with false reviews and issues of that nature. He has been successful and created a decent community.

Though I will admit I haven't really followed Giant Bomb for a number of years now so things may have changed. I did see that Patrick Klepek has moved onto Vice/Waypoint and helps promote the same poor journalistic integrity/standards that Gerstmann seemed to fight against.

Dude said he wanted to be historically "accurate" specifically so he could exclude black people and other POC which is pretty backwards and pretty much foreclosures certain potentially interesting storylines. If he had simply said he was making a game set in the Kingdom of Bohemia and wanted to keep it historically accurate no one would have had a problem.

Do you have evidence of these claims? I do not remember reading anything through his twitter history or interviews that said such. Curious to see if I overlooked something.

Honestly, as soon as their sister site Waypoint put up that ridiculous click baity “Listen to us talk about not talking about it” bullshit article, I knew GB would follow suit. The majority of their fan base consists of SJW’s and Era members. Can’t risk losing even more subscribers after the shitstorm that was their 2018 GOTY deliberations.

Last edited:
That's BS, otherwise they wouldn't complain about the presence of POC in a little video game.

People complain about forced diversity. About people bullying devs into adding people of color for the sake of political correctness.
Of course i can only speak for myself. But i couldn't care less about race in videogames. I think most people don't.

Old Empire.

There is no evidence he deliberately made a white only game because he is racist. Including blacks just because feels right to today is ridiculous. I don't want history changed to make one race of people feel better... So the only evidence we got his racist he tweeted about Gamergate and Alt-right? I can not find online what tweets he liked and commented on either, feels like a witch hunt to me, and weird people spreading rumours.

And where is your evidence to support this?

Dunki

No he did not. He was barraged why there are no black people in this game and then he answered because our historian found no proof of them existing. The only 3 people they found registered were 3 slaves in this region.

cucuchu

I too would like to see a source for this. I'm curious because you are not the only one I have seen echoing this and yet I have never once seen him mention anything in a statement that could be taken as such. It seems like people are spreading misinformation/inaccurate generalizations and others like yourself are surmising from that misinformation. It happens all the time with every side of a debate, especially these days when people will take anything as fact that they read from whatever echo-chamber they choose to browse.

He never once said he was making a game to exclude POC. He defended why there were no POC in the game and historical accuracy is what he was going for. He wanted an accurate depiction of rural medieval Bohemia. Likewise if someone made a video game about rural Japan in the 12th century, would myself as a white guy be offended that my ethnicity was not represented? No, I would not and neither would any other reasonable human being. Could a European have made their way there somehow doing that time? Sure, maybe, but if that game is based on an accurate depiction of rural 12th century Japan, then why the hell would I care if everyone in the game was what you would EXPECT to see if you were to be alive in rural 12th century Japan? Whether or not he should of engaged those that were calling him racist and a nazi for making his game, that is up to you, but personally I think he should of just ignored the situation entirely. People will find a way to be offended in anything these days and there is no appeasing everyone.

Last edited:
Unless this poster is privy to some quotes a lot of us clearly haven't seen, or is familiar with the innermost thoughts of the developer in question, this accusation seems like a flat out lie, which certain people are more than happy to perpetuate. It's pathetic.

Of course, if there is concrete evidence that it is correct I will happily apologise.

Last edited:

Interesting, I was under the impression this "controversy" began with the studio being asked about why there were no POC in the game and not the other way around. Regardless, the amount of mental gymnastic people have to do in order to justify the presence of POC in the middle of assfuckingnowheresvile in forever ago Bohemia is kind of funny.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

So you're claiming that they made a game set in the middles ages of Bohemia specifically to avoid featuring POC? Somehow that seems like some mad loops for an idea. I mean jeez, they could have made a game featuring robots or aliens if they wanted to do that.

Aces&Eights

Any new news on the PS4 Pro performance issues? I am liking the look of the game but have heard it runs pretty substandard.

Yeah..he's a happy-go-lucky shit-lord, but not this blatant nor is he actually hateful. This is the worst thing he has publicly stated/posted. And it's really nothing.

eBLFuBo.png

Absolutely love that it was a kickstarter project. These games are made from grass roots and built with a shared uncompromised vision in mind.

As for the developer arguing on twitter with a misguided fool. Hes right in my opinion... but could throw his weight around better. He can lose public support being antagonistic about it.

I'm hoping it doing well will lead to other historical role-playing games in the same vein appear. Would love to see one set in the Viking Age, one set during the Boshin War, one set during the Crusades, one set in the Mali or Benin Empire, something from an African kingdom or tribe's perspective during the colonization of Africa during the 19th century, one set around the American Civil War, and more. There's just so much interesting to cover. Oh, almost forgot, something during either the Roman Republic or the Roman Empire or the Byzantine Empire, and something during Classical Greece. Too much to choose from and hopefully something that's not being done by Ubisoft.

Top Bottom