• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is now using Unreal Engine 4

So many are really overlooking the positives here.

Not having to waste time and diverting precious resources into fumbling around with a clusterfucked proprietary engine (Luminous) is exactly what SE needs right now. Devoting manpower purely into game development with a smooth ass engine like UE4 is the best way to go.

random25

Good decision in the long run. But that's just tons of wasted effort right there. They should have used that huge amount of time and resources for TWEWY 2
;_;

Steel

Banned
I wonder how much time Atlus has spent working on the Persona 5 engine.

I imagine quite some time now assuming it's the same they used for Catherine.

Actually they didn't use the same engine for Catherine. Catherine was a test of a 3rd party engine that they were planning on using for Persona 5. They scrapped that idea after Catherine was made and then made their own engine. So, they didn't spend very much time making their own engine.

That being said I doubt it's a technically impressive engine. However, purpose built engines generally aren't technically impressive, see: Dragon Age: Origins. Granted there are a lot of endearing things about custom built engines that these two series lost in subsequent sequels.

Not having to waste time and diverting precious resources into fumbling around with a clusterfucked proprietary engine (Luminous) is exactly what SE needs right now. Devoting manpower purely into game development with a smooth ass engine like UE4 is the best way to go.

Or you could go glass half empty and see this as an indicator that Square itself is a clusterfuck that can barely do anything on their own without fumbling around at this point.

Exactly. UE4 seems to offer good performances and also easy developpment. Why would they overlook that ?
This also mean easier work across multiple platforms. And if a PC version happens, it also means a good chance to not fail it.

Good now Square-Enix, you can use Luminous Engine in FF XXVII
(enhanced Gothic super Emo version)

640px-FFXXVII_deus_ex.png

LAA

Hmm is this good or not...?

Does this mean KH3 is getting a visual downgrade...or at least different visuals? Wonder what the deal is with the Kingdom shader too

Mandoric

Banned
I get why SE wanted their own engine, but it's pretty obvious that Epic learned to price competitively and provide full local support quicker than SE learned to make tools to go with their pretty-ass renderer. With how modular UE4 sounds, this could be the best of both worlds, esp if the UE asking price is lower than what they were spending internally.

iosefe

Hmm is this good or not...?

Does this mean KH3 is getting a visual downgrade...or at least different visuals? Wonder what the deal is with the Kingdom shader too
as someone said before, For KH, good, for S-E, not as much.

Kh3 gets released on a versatile engine, smooth as butter probably. And potentially sooner

Kingdom shader is I believe a buzz term, but shaders can be imported, and if not, remade

Or you could go glass half empty and see this as an indicator that Square itself is a clusterfuck that can barely do anything on their own without fumbling around at this point.
That was already a given, but working with an easy (easier) to use engine with the engine maker's support is a far better option than the shit they had going with Luminous. Still a win regardless of the size at least.

as someone said before, For KH, good, for S-E.

Kh3 gets released on a versatile engine, smooth as butter probably. And potentially sooner

Kingdom shader is I believe a buzz term, but shaders can be imported, and if not, remade

UE4 supports Physically Based shaders, rendering and materials, if they ever use them (which is obvious since they use UE4), the game will look insane.

Looks like that Tencent/Epic partnership is working out pretty well, I guess Tencent is helping with the language stuff, and that's why we're seeing more Japanese games use UE4. Besides the fact that it's easy as balls to use and looks great.

UE4 supports Physically Based shaders, rendering and materials, if they ever use them (which is obvious since they use UE4), the game will look insane.

You think PBR will have that much of an effect for the Kingdom Hearts style? I'd think KH would be too hand painted for it to change that much.

Niosai

I just hope they keep the shading idea they had. I read somewhere that each world was going to have a different shader that put each one in a different style.

Banzai

To be honest, I associated UE, or at least UE3, with burly men shooting things. I don't know shit about engines, though.
Some of you put those fears to rest now, thanks guys.

Now I'm actually kind of excited about what this could mean for the game.

Looks like that Tencent/Epic partnership is working out pretty well, I guess Tencent is helping with the language stuff, and that's why we're seeing more Japanese games use UE4. Besides the fact that it's easy as balls to use and looks great.

You think PBR will have that much of an effect for the Kingdom Hearts style? I'd think KH would be too hand painted for it to change that much.

they can use at leats they physical behaviour, then give it a cartoony feel of their universe. If they couple that with allegorithmic susbrtance, those materials can change, accordings to hits, fire, rust, time wetness, age, scars etc Nothing can prevent them from doing so..

pottuvoi

Banned
That being said I doubt it's a technically impressive engine. However, purpose built engines generally aren't technically impressive, see: Dragon Age: Origin's and Mass Effect 1.
ME1 used Unreal Engine 3 with Beäst lightmapper. (Which is why it looked better than most early UE3 titles.)

Mokubba

Sounds good to me.

Anything to make the game come out faster.

Will Luminous always be proprietary or is it just the case that that KH3 team wanted to get a move on and it wouldn't make sense to wait until the engine is fully developed for FFXV?

Sounds good to me.

Anything to make the game come out faster.

Will Luminous always be proprietary or is it just the case that that KH3 team wanted to get a move on and it wouldn't make sense to wait until the engine is fully developed for FFXV?

Dunno, maybe KHIII wil come before FFV.

they can use at leats they physical behaviour, then give it a cartoony feel of their universe. If they couple that with allegorithmic susbrtance, those materials can change, accordings to hits, fire, rust, time wetness, age, scars etc Nothing can prevent them from doing so..

Substance, in my humble opinion, is the future of game textures. The procedural nature of substances let you have infinite combinations, colours, sizes, etc. Supposedly Uncharted 4 is somehow making use of substances.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To be honest, I associated UE, or at least UE3, with burly men shooting things. I don't know shit about engines, though.
Some of you put those fears to rest now, thanks guys.

Now I'm actually kind of excited about what this could mean for the game.

Only good things i'm sure. UE4 10 times more advanced than anything SE has ever shipped in a game with if we can take Crystal tools as a barometer. Unless the team gets pulled off the project again to work on FF15 like they did with FF13, things should go smoothly atleast engine wise.

LAA

as someone said before, For KH, good, for S-E, not as much.

OK cool, as long as it's good for KH3, I'm more than fine with it. I see SE as...pushing things with new tech, so I hope it's still the case for KH3.

Can't wait to see KH3 again, perhaps in UE4.

Amazong Square Enix built a engine they cant even use, seems they still haven't fixed their communication issue with their own devs, Honestly I always aim my expectations low when it comes to them

Substance, in my humble opinion, is the future of game textures. The procedural nature of substances let you have infinite combinations, colours, sizes, etc. Supposedly Uncharted 4 is somehow making use of substances.

Just wow if true, I am using substance right now with UE4 and the results are insane
eventhough that it kills my PC :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
lmao

But with Disney coming to PC now, and Square Enix doing lots of PC work, and Unreal engine...

Maybe I'm looking too much into it. How does PS4/XB1 run UE4 games anyway?

Disney's PC releases on Steam are only new to Steam. They've existed for some time (even Epic Mickey 2), so I'd avoid getting your hopes up vis-a-vis Kingdom Hearts.

Do you think this will affect the Kingdom Shader concept that Nomura was talking about during the reveal? From my understanding, it would provide a different graphical feel to each world you explored. I'm not knowledgeable about how UE4's architecture, but it it robust enough to handle vastly different graphical styles in the same game? We know it can apply shaders and filters, but the vision of what they were going for sounded more ambitious than that.

I think by switching engines it will help square in the long run, although i'll miss the luminous engine of how agni's philosophy was created. I hope by using UE 4 it will speed ahead in production and allowing nomura to maximize his resources and time on KH3 is been a long time coming!

Disney's PC releases on Steam are only new to Steam. They've existed for some time (even Epic Mickey 2), so I'd avoid getting your hopes up vis-a-vis Kingdom Hearts.

In fact, Disney coming to Steam is the reason why to get hopes up for KH3.
The reason we never seen a KH title on PSS is that Disney didnt wanted digital distribution of their titles...
This was a concern for a potential KH3 release.
But now with Disney coming to Steam AND KH3 being made with UE4 in the same day...
Hopes are getting skyrocket.:)

Well... looking at the bright side, I'm hoping this move eases development so that KH3 will actually release this decade. The Luminous Engine seems like a pretty big waste of time, money, and effort at this point. Will FF15 be the only game to use it? Hopefully S-E learns something from this.

I wonder now if the main impediment to FFXV was the damn engine and not director incompetence. Who am I kidding, it was probably a lethal combination of both. At least this game will only have to deal with one of those.

Xenus

I feel like multiplatform development sunk SE hard. They just don't know how to do it. They try to hard to tailor their engine to a system and game. Rather then make system that can be used for any game on any system. This is a good thing becuase until now whenever SE was going to add a new system to the mix it made me fear they'd take 2 years redoing the engine of the game again for it.

iavi

This is good news.

Less reason for them to fumble and fuck around with technical hurdles and more time work on the game.

UE4's versatile as hell. Even UE3 ended up showing it's true colors towards the end of last-gen, with stuff like Xrd.

Mortemis

Banned
Lets entertain that thought for a second. What would "generic" even mean in this case?

Sora is going to be a middle age white guy with a scruffy face in a brown and grey world?

It's like art style has nothing to do with how your games look, using UE obviously makes your game look exactly the same as others! lmao.

Skilletor

smfh.
Unreal Engine? F*cking Unreal Engine 4?

Way to make Kingdom Hearts 3 look generic as f*ck. Just look at the Unreal titles, they all look generic as f*ck.

You had one job Square Enix, can't even get that right..

Engine =/= art style. You are aware that Ggxrd is unreal? Tekken 7?

Top Bottom