• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is now using Unreal Engine 4

Famassu

Nomura's looking more and more like one of the weakest links in a pretty bad chain...
Eh. Not only has Nomura crated one of the company's most successful franchises since FF & DQ, he's been more or less creatively involved with many of their best games during last & current gen (Birth By Sleep & Dream Drop Distance., TWEWY, Dissidia, Type-0, Theatrhythm etc.) and he's the kind of person who likes to push new talent & give them room to bring their own ideas in. Games like TWEWY wouldn't be what they are without Nomura. To shit on Nomura is pretty low, considering all he has done for the company. We know a lot of FFXV's problems have nothing to do with Nomura and even with the rest we can only speculate (was Nomura pushed out because he got nothing done, which I find somewhat hard to believe, or because he didn't want to make the kind of changes into FFXV that some higher-ups were asking of him?).

'Kingdom Shader'...HAHAH
Yeah whatever, SE.
Wasn't that just kind of referencing their intent of having different looks for different worlds with the use of shaders? That could still be in despite the engine change.

HAHA. Might as well call Luminous a FFXV-custom engine.
They are, aren't they? They admitted that the Luminous team was integrated as a part of the FFXV team and Luminous, from that point forward, has been developed as a custom engine for FFXV.

Last time they used the Unreal Engine for consoles, the mess known as The Last Remnant happened.

This game is gonna be such a mess technically.
Wasn't it such a mess because Unreal Engine 3's support for Japanese developers was non-existant at the time? Epic has since improved on that front and as the OP says SQEX seems to be getting help for whatever problems they have working directly & closely with Epic. I doubt KHIII will be in any way comparable to how Last Remnant turned out (technically).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I don't know why they didn't keep at it with UE3, since they managed to make a competent game (The Last Remnant) quite easily and in a short amount of time. Yes it didn't come out for the PS3 and the 360 version was buggy, but on PC it's pretty great. If they stayed the course, they would have been making a lot of cool games by now.

I wonder if this means that they'll port The Last Remnant. :p

Personally, I see this as an all-around net positive for SE. The less engines they create, the more games they can make. ;p

Labadal

This company is in shambles. I don't know how much money the have put down the drain on failed engines. They might as well use third party engines for all their games.

On the other hand, I am not surprised that KHIII will use another engine that is not Luminous. They seem to still have issues with Final Fantasy XV and rendering, so Kingdom Hearts III having rendering issues should not be a surprise.

They really have shit the bed in later years. At least they gout four games out of Chrystal Tools.

Famassu

Kingdom hearts 3 for Linux confirmed.

In all seriousness though, must be a significant decision considering what looks like a lot of time spent making the Luminous engine. I wonder what issues they had with it or what UE4 offered that it couldn't...
Considering the Luminous team was sucked into the FFXV team, I'm thinking a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Luminous team is probably just too busy with FFXV to support the KH team and give them help with whatever problems they might run into. Nomura & the KH team simply can't wait until they are freed up and have to move forward with KHIII's development. Since they can't just twiddle their thumbs and do nothing, it's probably better to do this sooner rather than later.

I don't know why they didn't keep at it with UE3, since they managed to make a competent game (The Last Remnant) quite easily and in a short amount of time. Yes it didn't come out for the PS3 and the 360 version was buggy, but on PC it's pretty great. If they stayed the course, they would have been making a lot of cool games by now.
As I pointed out, UE3 had a pretty problematic start for quite a few Japanese developers because support in Japanese was kinda shitty and there was a language barrier for using the tools in the first place (not only for SQEX, but for the likes of Mistwalker as well). They were probably a bit burned by their first UE3 experience, but IIRC Epic has since improved on that front and even now they seem to be working quite closely with SQEX to help them with their problems.

wmlk

Eh. Not only has Nomura crated one of the company's most successful franchises since FF & DQ, he's been more or less creatively involved with many of their best games during last & current gen (Birth By Sleep & Dream Drop Distance., TWEWY, Dissidia, Type-0, Theatrhythm etc.) and he's the kind of person who likes to push new talent & give them room to bring their own ideas in. Games like TWEWY wouldn't be what they are without Nomura. To shit on Nomura is pretty low, considering all he has done for the company. We know a lot of FFXV's problems have nothing to do with Nomura and even with the rest we can only speculate (was Nomura pushed out because he got nothing done, which I find somewhat hard to believe, or because he didn't want to make the kind of changes into FFXV that some higher-ups were asking of him?).

Wasn't that just kind of referencing their intent of having different looks for different worlds with the use of shaders? That could still be in despite the engine change.

They are, aren't they? They admitted that the Luminous team was integrated as a part of the FFXV team and Luminous, from that point forward, has been developed as a custom engine for FFXV.

Wasn't it such a mess because Unreal Engine 3's support for Japanese developers was non-existant at the time? Epic has since improved on that front and as the OP says SQEX seems to be getting help for whatever problems they have working directly & closely with Epic. I doubt KHIII will be in any way comparable to how Last Remnant turned out (technically).

1. Kingdom Shader was straight BS from the beginning and buzzwords, and this proves they probably didn't have anything substantial.
2. Yeah, Ebony-Luminous engine lol
3. Thing is, there's not really a proven track record for UE and SE. That's why I'm lowering my expectations a ton.

Sakujou

Banned
huge downer. if square is not even able to pull this, what else could happen? even worse, they fucking developed their luminous or white engine or whatever it was called only to use it for a bunch of uninspired games :(

kingdom hearts wont look good, thats for sure-.-

Dark_castle

huge downer. if square is not even able to pull this, what else could happen? even worse, they fucking developed their luminous or white engine or whatever it was called only to use it for a bunch of uninspired games :(

Rime uses Unreal Engine 4, and it's looking gorgeous.

Well, at least they didn't wait until they were balls deep in development before realizing Luminous wasn't exactly working out. At least they know now not to let it completely fuck up their development pipeline (again) like Crystal Tools did for them last gen.

Please. How good it can/will look is mostly dependent on their artists, not the engine. (See: Rime, GGXrd (Which is on Unreal 3)

Nohar

I feel like an ingenue... Millions down the drain nonwithstanding (well, that is assuming the FFXIII saga wasn't able to make profitable such engine oh my bad, this engine was only used for FFXIV so far, and, well, there is still FFXV), is it a good thing or a bad thing that they switch to Unreal Engine 4? Will KH3 be a better game or a worse game with it? Well, I read about The Last Remnant, and that UE3 wasn't very accessible at the time for japanese developers, something they seem to have improved for UE4.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Can we not with this? These are all Unreal Engine 3 & 4 games:

gOBhC8C.jpg

GNfeUiB.jpg

kFOqf5m.jpg

MrBkOyq.jpg

9geqojv.jpg

I0knU1b.jpg

9ARAnOG.jpg

gpdT45S.jpg

zpdF4sn.jpg

PZz0L1u.jpg
Borderlands 2

6fvY7Ih.jpg
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

dlmiSNB.jpg
Mirrors Edge, 2008

63bGrt1.png
TERA Online

R22LnK7.png
Mighty No. 9

D53hIHj.jpg
Monday Night Combat

uMoV4ya.jpg
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

MN5Gh5j.jpg
Magna Carta II

HzdpqzT.jpg
Lost Oddysey

vY7wUpd.jpg
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

JTwC1IS.jpg
Dungeon Defenders

PD5kj6H.jpg
Crimson Dragon

eqHf6Pw.jpg
Alice: Madness Returns

KH3 should and likely will look fantastic.

koutoru

I feel like an ingenue... Millions down the drain nonwithstanding (well, that is assuming the FFXIII saga wasn't able to make profitable such engine oh my bad, this engine was only used for FFXIV so far, and, well, there is still FFXV), is it a good thing or a bad thing that they switch to Unreal Engine 4? Will KH3 be a better game or a worse game with it? Well, I read about The Last Remnant, and that UE3 wasn't very accessible at the time for japanese developers, something they seem to have improved for UE4.

They've definitely improved Japanese support over the years. As Nirolak also points out the current state of UE4 support in Japan is actually pretty good.

They also have a Japanese support office now and full Japanese documentation, so you can read everything and Epic can send engineers over all the type who speak your language and work with you to help fulfill your needs.

I expect to see more Japanese devs jump onto UE4 over time as well. Unity is also becoming popular for Indie deves in Japan.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Well at least SE now accept that they wasted most of the last 10 years, in terms of console development.

Hopefully they will start to behave like a game developer again and not spend so much time and money on their own crappy engines that render Lightning's hairstyle just right.

I'll take a "wait and see"-approach to all of this. If it looks and plays like a KH-game, who am I to complain?
But it is somewhat worrisome... Anyone know how much they spent on their Luminous engine?
I think they most likely did it to speed up development though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Luminous is gone folks, let's just get it out of the way. After FF15 and its sequels, there will no more use for such an engine from them.

Don't be ridiculous. I think a lot of you people don't realize that UE4 is a better engine than any engine SE has ever used for their games, both in terms of its potential and what it can do right now. Not some pipe dream tech demo like what Luminous was proposing.

Can we not with this? These are all Unreal Engine 3 & 4 games:

gOBhC8C.jpg

GNfeUiB.jpg

kFOqf5m.jpg

MrBkOyq.jpg

9geqojv.jpg

I0knU1b.jpg

9ARAnOG.jpg

gpdT45S.jpg

zpdF4sn.jpg

PZz0L1u.jpg
Borderlands 2

6fvY7Ih.jpg
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

dlmiSNB.jpg
Mirrors Edge, 2008

63bGrt1.png
TERA Online

R22LnK7.png
Mighty No. 9

D53hIHj.jpg
Monday Night Combat

uMoV4ya.jpg
Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z

MN5Gh5j.jpg
Magna Carta II

HzdpqzT.jpg
Lost Oddysey

vY7wUpd.jpg
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

JTwC1IS.jpg
Dungeon Defenders

PD5kj6H.jpg
Crimson Dragon

eqHf6Pw.jpg
Alice: Madness Returns

PZz0L1u.jpg
Borderlands 2

KH3 should and likely will look fantastic.

giphy.gif

And now they can just focus on developing the game directly :)

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
What kind of work does it take to basically import all that existing work into a new engine? I don't know dick about how it works, but isn't it more or less starting over, as far as graphics and gameplay is concerned?

Design and direction may also have to adapt?

RayMaker

Banned
Not only does UE4 have great visuals but it also looks very intuitive to use.

I cant wait when devs get good at using UE4 on the X1/PS4 , I wonder what a 2016/17 UE4 current gen games will look like.

Hopefully they will be close to the Infiltrator demo

wmlk

Do people really think that this is good news?

Whatever problems Luminous might have posed for them, I feel like their engineers are familiar enough with their own code to still offer something solid. We haven't really seen buggy messes from Crystal Tools.

The only time we've seen engine related issues from what I recall was with The Last Remnant. That was running on UE3.

Foffy

Banned
What a mess. Why make Luminous as an engine if it appears you made it for just one game?

What puzzles me is within this same company exists the Glacier 2 engine, a pretty solid engine. What's great is they've had plans since it was made to use it in other games, and they actually are. Of course, it's from parts of the company that actually release product...

RaijinFY

What a mess. Why make Luminous as an engine if it appears you made it for just one game?

What puzzles me is within this same company exists the Glacier 2 engine, a pretty solid engine. What's great is they've had plans since it was made to use it in other games, and they actually are. Of course, it's from parts of the company that actually release product...

I doubt it's going to be for one game...

Hiko

Banned
I'm glad they stopped trying to go further and further down the rabbit hole.

Just stick to middleware and focus your efforts on a timely software release. I have hope this will help move Kingdom Hearts 3 along.

Hopefully we'll get it before 2017.
It won't help anything. They will have problems with whatever they use

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Whatever problems Luminous might have posed for them, I feel like their engineers are familiar enough with their own code to still offer something solid. We haven't really seen buggy messes from Crystal Tools..

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAH. AHAHAHAHAHAH, HAHAHAHA.

-ahem-

Somebody didn't participate in the 14 1.0 beta and initial launch period.

And you actually call FF13-2 and FF13-3's performance "smooth"? You literally cant walk 2 feet without the framerate going into the low 20s. That's called 'engine issues'. The reason being, Crystal tools was a piece of garbage.

RPGCrazied

Thank god its not releasing on PS3 then, well at least UE 3, it was piss poor on that system. I don't care really though, as long as the game comes out.

Good news for the company? No.

Good news for Kingdom Hearts 3? Yes. Not sure who at SE would call the shots on which engine to use for which game (would Nomura make that call since he's the director?), but while switching to UE4 is basically an admittance of defeat for Luminous, it at least says that they realize it's a problem and that it's better for them to start actually getting games out instead of screwing around with in-house solutions.

Tetranet

Whatever is best for the game, to be honest. If that means Unreal Engine 4 so be it.

Also, all the "I knew it" and "SE is shit" posts in this thread have really gotten old.

Top Bottom