• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3 is now using Unreal Engine 4

wmlk

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAH. AHAHAHAHAHAH, HAHAHAHA.

-ahem-

Somebody didn't participate in the 14 1.0 beta and initial launch period.

And you actually call FF13-2 and FF13-3's performance "smooth"? You literally cant walk 2 feet without the framerate going into the low 20s. That's called 'engine issues'. The reason being, Crystal tools was a piece of garbage.

Totally forgot about FFXIV 1.0.
Yeah, FFXIII sequels were pretty bad, too. I should have slept...

overcast

Well, you gotta wait until 2017/2018. Nomura said his team can't really do much work on the playable game itself because of their engine-related problems.
....Well shit. I'll be at my mid 20's by then. I was in middle school when 2 released.. Holy fuck.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This fucking company. A straight decade of failing in the most expensive ways.

Good that its on an engine they cant fuck up I guess, but good god. I sincerely want a tell all book on SE in this era from all the people that have left. The Luminous guy leaving should have been a pretty big indicator, but I'd love to know the ins and outs of the disasters.

Kikujiro

This is actually great news! No more wasting years for a "working" engine (see FFXIII troubled development) and straight to the game development, we can actually get a new KH in 2017 instead of 2025.

And it will look great, I don't know what you guys are smoking, but KH is all about the art style and UE4 will work without problem (see Rime or Xrd).

Gbraga

They should just release some footage. Doesn't even have to be new, just the same bits we've seen, but on UE4. That way they could ease concerns that the game won't look like KH anymore (or confirm them)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They should just release some footage. Doesn't even have to be new, just the same bits we've seen, but on UE4. That way they could ease concerns that the game won't look like KH anymore (or confirm them)

What they seem to be saying is there couldnt be any footage or the like specifically because theyre having to pipe everything back in and around UE4 right now, and that anything they did/could show now was from the old Luminous model.

Another cluster on Nomura's watch. Theyre all adding up.

duckroll

Well, you gotta wait until 2017/2018. Nomura said his team can't really do much work on the playable game itself because of their engine-related problems.

That's not exactly what he said. He said he himself is focusing more on pre-production stuff for now while waiting for the rendering issues (with regards to the engine change) to be resolved. The game development at Osaka is still proceeding per normal, it's playable right now, but only in the development environment. It's just very early in production. It's worth noting that while Nomura is "director" on all KH games, KH3 is developed by S-E Osaka, just like Re:CoM, BbS, and 3D. Nomura does not live and work in Osaka, he's in Tokyo. So most of his interaction with the team is general supervision, checking on milestones, working on the story/art/concepts, and relaying them to the leads at Osaka.

Kikujiro

What they seem to be saying is there couldnt be any footage or the like specifically because theyre having to pipe everything back in and around UE4 right now, and that anything they did/could show now was from the old Luminous model.

Another cluster on Nomura's watch. Theyre all adding up.

Wat? How is Luminous engine problem Nomura's fault?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
RIP all of Square Enix's engines. At this rate FFXV's car won't even have an engine.
dead2.gif

Foffy

Banned
I doubt it's going to be for one game...

Sure, it might be used for more games, but if you know how costly engines are, Square-Enix is king at throwing money into making engines that are very rarely used. Look at Crystal Tools; only 5 games released use that engine. All of that money put into an engine that really only shined for Final Fantasy XIII and apparently Dragon Quest X. Even then they made an engine that had to be worked around which had technical issues that could be plainly seen in Final Fantasy XIV's first release, and Luminous appears to be the same shit all over again with Kingdom Hearts III falling into hurdles with the engine.

I think it's a pretty big deal because Luminous was supposed to be the engine to do everything they wanted that made Crystal Tools suboptimal to work with. Instead Luminous is yet another engine from this company that fails doing on what they want it to do for their games, but they're smart enough now to use external engines to make up for their shortcomings. It's a significant waste of money and resources, something Square-Enix seems to be a pioneer at. If there's one thing they know how to do better than anyone else, it's to bleed money.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Finally, maybe they can cycle custom engines better without the pressure of developing games with in development engines. That or they just may forego engine development in general. Whichever this can only be a good thing as far as development ease and speed.

Who was the poster that defended the main architect leaving as a non-story? Ghahahahaha

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Luminous engine, or what's left of it will be used for more games than Final Fantasy 15. It'll also be used for Final Fantasy 15 2 and Final Fantasy 15 3 :p

But yeah, besides that, its already dead

If this is a sign of Square Enix transitioning to middleware for their projects going forward (at least on home consoles) then this is great news and they can't go wrong with Unreal Engine 4. Unreal Engine 4 will likely be much more cost effective in the long term versus their in-house money sink engines.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So if FFXVI uses UE4, we shouldn't be surprised then.

At least it makes development much faster.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Wondering what it means for the company as far as restructuring goes, but good news for the game regardless.

This sounds good in the long term. The in-house logic is nice, but the proven path is probably quicker especially for them. Everything I read about that engine tells me it's the shit. That one post with the games shows it's versatility on the graphics end too.

Kikujiro

It isn't, he's just a scapegoat. He is the figure head associated with it, after all.

How is he the figure head associated with it? Did I miss something?

Nomura is a character designer who sometimes direct KH games, he never had anything to do with game engines since it's not his work.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
But he's... not? The person who headed the creation and development of Luminous left the company earlier this year.

Yup, but he is the face of Square Enix, as well as Final Fantasy. Similar to Iwata being the face behind Nintendo. People blame Iwata and people also blame Nomura.

duckroll

Yup, but he is the face of Square Enix, as well as Final Fantasy. Similar to Iwata being the face behind Nintendo. People blame Iwata and people also blame Nomura.

Wut. No he's not. Iwata is the CEO of Nintendo. Nomura isn't even on the board of directors in Square Enix. Stop talking nonsense. :p

Not even FFXV uses Luminous, they're just importing Luminous lighting technology in their engine.
Luminous is dead, the writing was on the wall when the creator/technical director left.
White Engine, Crystal Tools, Luminous, 7-8 years of failures.
The shift to the Unreal Engine 4 will cause an obvious delay notwithstanding what they're saying and they'll have to spend a lot of time to customize things to reproduce the art style they wanted to achive with the game.

I thought the White Engine was the code name for Crystal Tools. Which was basically only used for the XIII trilogy.

Maybe, if we are lucky, they will use the parts of Luminous in the inevitable FFXV trilogy.

As long as it looks like a KH game I don't care what engine it's on. KH and KHII were beautiful on the PS2, and 1.5HD was a fantastic reminder of how much I loved the look and aesthetics of KH games. Can't wait to see what KHII and BBS look like in HD.

Sami+

Bad news for any KH news in the near future

Eh, not really. Last we heard of the game Nomura confirmed they were extending the conceptual stage of development simply because they had their hands tied waiting for the Luminous Team to get the engine together. With UE4 they can actually start right now and move faster.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
How many titles actually used this engine? Just the FF13 games?

And the Final Fantasy 14 not the Final Fantasy 14: ARR.

Dragon Quest X also uses Crystal Tools

And they're usually wrong when they blame Nomura. Nomura is not president of SE.
Nomura probably has no say in what goes on at all. He couldn't even dictate when and what he could show and say about Versus XIII whenever he wanted to.

Pie and Beans

Wat? How is Luminous engine problem Nomura's fault?

Its not, although I'm not convinced Luminous is some unworkable engine disaster due to the talent involved in creating it. He is just now constantly facing a "can't ship games" label regardless of if its all his fault or just partly. Hopefully moves like this to just using established industry engine tools will help him get stuff out there faster and more efficiently so he can turn that around.

sörine;133259744 said:
Crystal Tools/White Engine at least got used for 5 games. Luminous may stop at one.
Crystal took many years to develop and in the end the games suffered from it. Square just doesn't have the resources to develop proprietary high end engines and games at the same time.

They need to focus on the output instead of wasting money polishing rocks.

DSix

Banned
This is good news. It was clear by now that every SE internal engines were just expensive clusterfucks.

UE4 is a great engine that has no "generic" look, unlike UE3, and is truly genre agnostic. This is a great decision by Nomura and co. They will gain a ton of valuable time.
Making your own engine is overrated; it cost a fuckton of time and money for basically just reinventing the wheel, and chances are that the result will suck anyway.

Seeing how namco made Tekken run perfectly on UE4 (and probably in a pretty short time at that), I have faith this is the right choice for japanese devs.

sörine

Banned
Crystal took many years to develop and in the end the games suffered from it. Square just doesn't have the resources to develop proprietary high end engines and games at the same time.

They need to focus on the output instead of wasting money polishing rocks.
I don't disagree necessarily, I just think Crystal Tools was salvaged somewhat. Luminous doesn't look like it will be though.

Top Bottom