• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days Thread of How do you even pronounce that

Kuraudo

Banned
I'm currently on day 70-something, doing some crap stealth thing where I have to keep
Pete
in my line of sight. Story and gameplay both some pretty lame so far and I'm really tired of the same two locations for all the missions.

Does it pick up? If so, how long until it does? I'm a pretty big KH fan so I want to struggle through this, but it's not doing anything for me right now.

Kuraudo said:
I'm currently on day 70-something, doing some crap stealth thing where I have to keep
Pete
in my line of sight. Story and gameplay both some pretty lame so far and I'm really tired of the same two locations for all the missions.

Does it pick up? If so, how long until it does? I'm a pretty big KH fan so I want to struggle through this, but it's not doing anything for me right now.

After playing the game to finish, I suppose the term slow burn is what I found to apply to the experience. Things will pick up as time goes. If I had to recommend something just go at it with expectations set lower especially. You say you're a big fan so I'd go at it like yourself.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah this game is awful I've found so far. I've been playing it at work during the rare downtime I have, and it's just not getting any better.

I've played up until day, I don't remember, 120 or something, and I don't think I find a positive note on here.

1. The graphics are abysmal, typical of DS 3D with its insane lack of texture filtering and low geometry everywhere. I gasped in horror at how the game rendered Hercules.

2. The game barely functions as an action title; if you go with the control scheme where you shift the camera with L/R it's slightly more controllable, but it's awkward as shit to shift targets at that point. And then they got shortcuts mapped by pressing L+R under this control mode, jesus christ. And the other control mode is complete unplayable shit: if you let the camera do its own thing, LOLOLOL at ever playing.

3. Mission design is so uniformly terrible that I'm shocked it even made release. I understand the thought process behind it - short, sweet missions ideal for portable play - but they left out the sweet part of the formula. Missions consist of awkwardly fumbling around for Roxas to find investigation points, going through the same level design over and over and over and over to net heartless, and then one appearance by a Disney character of note every five thousand hours or something.

4. Man, I know Kingdom Hearts story is really fucking bad, but this game takes it up the next level of terrible. Since I play Kingdom Hearts games solely for the bizarrely unique quality of seeing iconic Disney characters in inappropriate scenarios, the fact that there is so fucking little of that and just a metric fuckton of annoying Organization XIII characters being one note and retarded about their lack of hearts is just fucking killing me. And I swear to God if I see Roxas, Axel and Xion eat one more goddamn seasalt ice cream I'm going to smash the cart.

Fucking worst DS game I purchased all year.

As a sole positive note, I liked what they did with the Panel system. It is very interesting and I'd like to see it used in a game that isn't completely horrible.

hampig

Amir0x said:
Yeah this game is awful I've found so far. I've been playing it at work during the rare downtime I have, and it's just not getting any better.

I've played up until day, I don't remember, 120 or something, and I don't think I find a positive note on here.

1. The graphics are abysmal, typical of DS 3D with its insane lack of texture filtering and low geometry everywhere. I gasped in horror at how the game rendered Hercules.

2. The game barely functions as an action title; if you go with the control scheme where you shift the camera with L/R it's slightly more controllable, but it's awkward as shit to shift targets at that point. And then they got shortcuts mapped by pressing L+R under this control mode, jesus christ. And the other control mode is complete unplayable shit: if you let the camera do its own thing, LOLOLOL at ever playing.

3. Mission design is so uniformly terrible that I'm shocked it even made release. I understand the thought process behind it - short, sweet missions ideal for portable play - but they left out the sweet part of the formula. Missions consist of awkwardly fumbling around for Roxas to find investigation points, going through the same level design over and over and over and over to net heartless, and then one appearance by a Disney character of note every five thousand hours or something.

4. Man, I know Kingdom Hearts story is abysmal, but this game takes it up the next level of terrible. Since I play Kingdom Hearts games solely for the bizarrely unique quality of seeing iconic Disney characters in inappropriate scenarios, the fact that there is so fucking little of that and just a metric fuckton of annoying Organization XIII characters being one note and retarded about their lack of hearts is just fucking killing me. And I swear to God if I see Roxas, Axel and Xion eat one more goddamn seasalt ice cream I'm going to smash the cart.

As a sole positive note, I liked what they did with the Panel system. It is very interesting and I'd like to see it used in a game that isn't completely horrible.
This is an overreaction.

hampig said:
This is an overreaction.

Actually Amir0x's upfront posts are quite spot on. I have to say after playing it myself I'm quite inclined to agree with him. I just found it to be quite lacking overall in all areas. Not to mention if a JRPG only has me remembering only 2 worthwhile fights well...it doesn't bode well for the overall experience. A KH game without much of its Disney half is one that's better left not played unless your a big fan

Amir0x said:

Given that you've gone on record multiple times saying that the appeal to you about Kingdom Hearts is about the Disney, I have to wonder why you bothered to actually buy this game. I mean, it's about Roxas and the Organization. That's pretty much 0 Disney inherent in that.

Amir0x

Banned
I assumed, wrongly, that there was at least a fairly decent amount of Disney interaction, considering I've seen screens containing Disney characters.

There's like none of that shit, though. It's a complete rarity. A Kingdom Hearts game with little Disney... what's the goddamed appeal?

But if that were my only problem, I'd be able to get past it.

Druz

Amir0x said:

4. Man, I know Kingdom Hearts story is really fucking bad, but this game takes it up the next level of terrible. Since I play Kingdom Hearts games solely for the bizarrely unique quality of seeing iconic Disney characters in inappropriate scenarios, the fact that there is so fucking little of that and just a metric fuckton of annoying Organization XIII characters being one note and retarded about their lack of hearts is just fucking killing me. And I swear to God if I see Roxas, Axel and Xion eat one more goddamn seasalt ice cream I'm going to smash the cart.

I spent an hour with this game and i have the same exact reaction. Knowing that this formula will continue forever means I'm putting the game down.

Aru

Fimbulvetr said:
It has fucking dodgeroll, so yes. :lol

KH2 was already too awesome for me, too bad I can't try FM+ :(

Just got DayS, oh god the tutorial is bad (I liked KH2's prologue, it's way way better than this tutorial) and long. Just finished the first real mission. Is all the game like that ? If it is, I doubt it's superior to CoM.

Every RPG developer NEEDS to put the tutorial outside of the main game / make it skipable / available on pressing some button (select ?) the first time something happens (at least one of the 3).

I've played many many RPGs now and I can figure out things just by playing the game (it's better that way). I know they do that for novice players, but still. Keep the hardcore gamers in mind !

Anyway, the graphics are impressive :O Not too many things on screen, but Twilight Town is pretty much like in KH2. The character models are the best I've seen on DS yet. The soundtrack is good, though I know the DS can do much better than that (see TWEWY).

Aru said:
KH2 was already too awesome for me, too bad I can't try FM+ :(

Just got DayS, oh god the tutorial is bad (I liked KH2's prologue, it's way way better than this tutorial) and long. Just finished the first real mission. Is all the game like that ? If it is, I doubt it's superior to CoM.

Every RPG developer NEEDS to put the tutorial outside of the main game / make it skipable / available on pressing some button (select ?) the first time something happens (at least one of the 3).

I've played many many RPGs now and I can figure out things just by playing the game (it's better that way). I know they do that for novice players, but still. Keep the hardcore gamers in mind !

Anyway, the graphics are impressive :O Not too many things on screen, but Twilight Town is pretty much like in KH2. The character models are the best I've seen on DS yet. The soundtrack is good, though I know the DS can do much better than that (see TWEWY).

Personally I find 3D graphics for such an action oriented game to not really be all that pleasing. There a few points in the game I would point out but but that's rather spoiler filled. I believe we just haven't gotten to the point were developers can implement tutorial information .

zoukka

Wow. This is propably the worst game I played 2009. I just cannot fathom how anyone can stand the storytelling in this game.

Do not buy.

zoukka said:
Wow. This is propably the worst game I played 2009. I just cannot fathom how anyone can stand the storytelling in this game.

Do not buy.

You bought a KH game after 2 for the story? :lol

Oh you.

Aru

Fimbulvetr said:
You bought a KH game after 2 for the story? :lol

Oh you.

The story is confusing, but I like it so far (I mean all the series before Days). It's not really great, but I like it. Too bad I'm having a hard time memorizing all its elements. I need to read Wikipedia again before playing BBS :lol

I finished CoM last year and almost forgot everything about it.

Aru said:
The story is confusing, but I like it so far. It's not really great, but I like it. Too bad I'm having a hard time memorizing all its elements. I need to read Wikipedia again before playing BBS :lol

I finished CoM last year and almost forgot everything about it.

The big problem is that I do remember everything, but I hate it.:lol

Like I said in another thread: Kingdom Hearts serves as the dumping ground for all the plot points deemed too idiotic for Final Fantasy games.

Yeah, I gotta agree with Amir0x. I'm only 6 hours in and the game just sucks ass. I've already decided to put it down and not bother. The story is lame while the gameplay is boring and repetitive. I really love KH 1 & 2 and I'm sad that I wasted my money on this. I really hope Birth by Sleep turns out to be awesome. This game has put a bad taste in my mouth for the series.

Aru

Randam_Hajile said:
Yeah, I gotta agree with Amir0x. I'm only 6 hours in and the game just sucks ass. I've already decided to put it down and not bother. The story is lame while the gameplay is boring and repetitive. I really love KH 1 & 2 and I'm sad that I wasted my money on this. I really hope Birth by Sleep turns out to be awesome. This game has put a bad taste in my mouth for the series.

BBS is basically Kingdom Hearts 0, so I don't think it'll disappoint us (jugding by previews).

Days is okay for now, I'm surprised to see how well they translated the battle system for this version. More or less KH2 battle system, that's pretty nice.

The panel system is great !

I read that there are some good revelations at the end of the story, so I'll keep playing until the end.

NTom64

Only real problem I had with the game is the rediculous amount of recoloured enemies they use as bosses.

Also the repeated use of old worlds. I know the stories of KH1, COM and KH2 kind of dictate what worlds should appear, but it's not like Org.XIII wouldn't have explored further to find hearts. Lesser worlds, like...Treasure Planet or something.

Oh well, they can make this up by putting Hunchback of Notre Dame in KH3.

...I can dream.

Aru

NTom64 said:
Only real problem I had with the game is the rediculous amount of recoloured enemies they use as bosses.

Also the repeated use of old worlds. I know the stories of KH1, COM and KH2 kind of dictate what worlds should appear, but it's not like Org.XIII wouldn't have explored further to find hearts. Lesser worlds, like...Treasure Planet or something.

Oh well, they can make this up by putting Hunchback of Notre Dame in KH3.

...I can dream.

Only main games add new worlds. The spin-off games (Coded, CoM and 358/2 Days) only use old worlds.

I've spent 7 hours on this game. I see the flaws, but it entertains me somehow so I'm continuing.

It's just strange to see that side of the Organization, I expected something darker. For now, it's just the same thing as playing Sora except you don't meet Disney heroes (and so they don't come in your party).

I just wanna know who is Xion.

About the old worlds, expect the next spin-off to reuse worlds introduced in Birth by Sleep. I don't know if it'll be on DS too, but I hope not. I would have prefered a true sequel to CoM rather than a full fledged KH that doesn't really work on DS (because of the camera, not the battle system itself).

Aru

I put 12 hours in this game in 2 days :lol

It's not really great, but somehow I want to play further.

Xion's story has been revealed a bit.

farnham

Banned
Amir0x said:
I assumed, wrongly, that there was at least a fairly decent amount of Disney interaction, considering I've seen screens containing Disney characters.

There's like none of that shit, though. It's a complete rarity. A Kingdom Hearts game with little Disney... what's the goddamed appeal?

But if that were my only problem, I'd be able to get past it.
oh shit i was hoping that there will be a vast increase of disney characters after the first 2 hours i played up until know... guess i wont be going back then

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Aru said:
I put 12 hours in this game in 2 days :lol

It's not really great, but somehow I want to play further.

Xion's story has been revealed a bit.

Pretty much how I felt. I know it's not the greatest, but I really, really enjoyed it. I like the panel system so much.

Aru

Fidelis Hodie said:
Pretty much how I felt. I know it's not the greatest, but I really, really enjoyed it. I like the panel system so much.

My biggest complain would be the camera, which is far worse than the first KH's.
Almost finished the game (I assume), I'm on day 353.

I just saw the beginning of the cut-scene that starts when you select the mission. Damn it !
They actually involved Ven in this game. Xigbar is seeing Xion as Ven, I don't know why.

So Xigbar might be in BBS in some form, surely his human form.

I had to go to work, couldn't watch it entirely :(

The story was pretty much boring until
they revealed that Xion is a puppet created by the Org. to copy Roxas' powers
. Since that, it's been better. But that last cut-scene I saw was promising, if you like KH's story. If you don't, don't bother with this game.

Also, I recommend never using ground based weapons. They make the game really painful, as most enemies are far easier to attack from the air.

Air attack based weapons are the best for me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I got this for $25 at Target, and I really wish I would have gotten something else. The structure of this game is just not appealing... what is up with some of these missions, especially the ones where you have to investigate. So stupid...

IMO, it's not terrible, but it's a chore to get through this. Playing this and Spirit Tracks at the same time, and Spirit Tracks is 100x more enjoyable.

I don't get the hate this game has been getting from some people. It's been one of my most enjoyed games of the year so far. I mean, it isn't as good as KH2, but it's still very good. The mission structure works really for the game and makes the pacing easy to play through, the story is pretty good, the panel system is fucking brilliant, and the combat is pretty fun.

I'm still not finished with it, but I'm getting closer to the end and continuing to have a blast with the game.

I had zero expectations for this game
I've just been playing a bit every now and then when i get a moment

+Nice story, nice music, nice graphics and battle system
-Repetitive and bare environments (DS limitation?) Stealth Missions suck, as do capturing emblems and hitting those blob things.

Definitely a slow burner in approach for the story, but i've not lost interest yet, i'm around day 70 something

Seriously though, FUCK THIS CANDELABRA! I can't sneak past it to get out of the Beast's Castle ;(

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I beat the game a few days ago. I thought the story was pretty good; too bad the pacing was terrible and the plot didn't go anywhere until the last third of the game. The gameplay was fun, but the camera was atrocious. I have pretty mixed feelings about the game in general as a whole I suppose.

Finished the game today! A weird story but a pretty decent DS game. They even had the
Roxas Shut up scene.
:lol

I didn't notice that
Riku was in that scene in KH II.

The Xion turning to Sora was creepy and the rest of the story seemed like a KH story so I guess it was alright. I actually enjoyed the game but that damn Ice Cream scene after almost every mission pissed me off. In the end, the last boss wasn't as difficult as the other 3 KH games. I actually like the parts after you battle Xion. So overall, I think the game is good if you are a KH fan.

I can't wait for BBS. :D

Bizzyb

Banned
So I just beat the game and I heard you can
play as Sora, but I don't know what they mean by complete all the missions, which missons? Mission mode or challenge?

BTW, the story REALLY ramps up in once you get in 300+ days.

I'm still stuck on the Beasts Castle sneaking mission :lol I've not actually turned my DS on since i got FFXIII, so i probably won't even go back to 358/2 Days until after i'm done with Birth By Sleep (which should arrive tomorrow)
Oh well! 358/2 days on hold indefinitely it appears

Aru

PataHikari said:
Man what.

Neverland is by far my favorite world

In this game ?

Wat.

It's so annoying to attack enemies in the air. And don't talk about that freaking stupid boss.

I absolutely hate that level. Worst part of the game for me.

My favorite world in this game is
The Castle That Never Was, where they made that playable Deep Dive scene
. But I know it's pure fanservice :lol I don't mind.

Agreed on Neverland. The flying and aerial battles, while a cool idea, are generally pretty annoying. I do enjoy just flying around and doing whatever, though.

I think Agrabah is probably the best designed world in the game. There's a fair amount of places to explore and a good amount of platforming involved.

NTom64

That
Phantomtail
boss in Neverland is ridiculous at times. Good luck hitting it if you run out of magic.

Of course,
Ruler of the Sky
was MUCH harder.

Side note:
Oh God it's hard to resist looking at the BBS thread. Any word on a US release date yet? I'd check the official thread myself, but I'm not taking any risks.

I had Days accidentally spoiled for me, I'll get to BBS unspoiled if it kills me :lol

Aru said:
In this game ?

Wat.

It's so annoying to attack enemies in the air. And don't talk about that freaking stupid boss.

I absolutely hate that level. Worst part of the game for me.

Huh. I loved flying around and fighting.

I guess we both just feel differently about the same thing.

NTom64 said:
That
Phantomtail
boss in Neverland is ridiculous at times. Good luck hitting it if you run out of magic.

Of course,
Ruler of the Sky
was MUCH harder.

Side note:
Oh God it's hard to resist looking at the BBS thread. Any word on a US release date yet? I'd check the official thread myself, but I'm not taking any risks.

I had Days accidentally spoiled for me, I'll get to BBS unspoiled if it kills me :lol

Mumblings are of a May release some time, but nothing official as of yet.

matmanx1

I don't get the hate either but then again I've never finished a KH game and had zero expectations for this title. I bought it cheap just so I could have an action rpg on the DS and I knew with it being Square title that the production values would be very high.

I play one or two missions every couple of days (maybe a couple hours a week I spend playing the DS) and they are usually quick and sort of fun. I think the panel system is great and I havent had any issues with the default control scheme. I like the sort of sweet but sad and nostalgic vibe of the game and I genuinely want to see where the series goes from here.

Chairhome

I tried to get back into playing after picking up some other games that took me away from it... I'm not having that much fun. The missions are kinda boring and repetitive. I'm on day 225 or something and I'm wondering if I should finish it up. I'm really looking forward to BBS, though. I'll probably play through a few more days and see if I want to finish it.

Bizzyb

Banned
Chairhome said:
I tried to get back into playing after picking up some other games that took me away from it... I'm not having that much fun. The missions are kinda boring and repetitive. I'm on day 225 or something and I'm wondering if I should finish it up. I'm really looking forward to BBS, though. I'll probably play through a few more days and see if I want to finish it.

You should finish it. It gets better with the missions in the last few weeks or so. Also the ending is pretty good and clears up a few things in KH2 (
like Why Roxas doesn't remember Axel
)

Dogenzaka

Banned
Chairhome said:

Eh, I liked the game. I felt the panel-system added much needed strategy to the series. The missions can get kind of repetitive, but the story gets better towards the end and answers some interesting questions about the plot.

The game's really designed for on-the-go handheld play. Play a mission or two, leave it alone, pick it up again, etc.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Chairhome said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably try to play through it a little more. Am I somewhat close to the end?

Well the game occasionally skips days in batches sometimes, but you will get up to day 358 (obviously) upon which the game will end.

I'd say you're getting pretty close, but still got a bit of a ways to go.

The last handful of days will be the real heavy hitters.

Jeels

Chairhome said:
Thanks for the advice, I'll probably try to play through it a little more. Am I somewhat close to the end?

Well you know there are 358 Days, so that should give you an idea about how far you are.

Chairhome

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to pull a chain of memories on me
meaning that I would have to go through the entire game again as a different character

Daft_Cat

Chairhome said:

I found I couldn't spend hours at a time with this game. It seems like it was built for just one or two missions at a time. It picked up a lot at the end though. For Kingdom Hearts fans, this was like the definition of a slow burn. You can also really tell that the missions were built with a multiplayer mentality in mind. It kind of reminded me of Unreal Tournament 3's campaign. It's alright, but you're not playing it the way it's supposed to be played. The problem with this is 358/2's main appeal was never marketed as multiplayer. Instead SE really sold it as a "play as the villains" type of game. However, the shallow depth of the story, up until close to the end, and the bite sized and repetitive missions, kind of failed to live up to the key promise of the game.

Oh well. Like you I'm far more excited for Birth by Sleep.

-Winnie-

I just finished the game today, and I thought I'd share my impressions.

As a fan of the series, I found the game to be pretty good and it fits into the story well as a companion to KH2. It certainly does a fair bit to explain more about the Organization, making them seem much less shallow than they appeared in KH2.
Overall, it did feel like a sidestory, but I did like how it focused on the characters more than trying to shoehorn a huge, epic plot into it.
Gameplay was your standard console KH-fare, but I was impressed by how well they replicated it on the DS, and the mission structure is good for on and off play.

Top Bottom