• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Import |OT| - JEFF BRIDGES APPROVED

Zenaku

With Project mirai it was pretty understandable, atleast there was two piles of AR cards. Honestly they wouldn't fit well to the case if there was a thick manual as addition.

However to EA and Vita publishers: I'm not demanding a manual, but I would like some printed out stuff, whether it's AR cards, a trading card, art card, a nice looking ad or a coupon, whatever.

True; I got the limited edition, so I forgot the AR cards were all in the game case.

Personally I'd be fine with removing manuals as long as they have a small leaflet with artwork on it, or better yet, an A3 foldout poster for the game, dual-sided.

Here's all the songs on Disc 1 of the soundtrack, with some official free downloads.

TWEWY nostalgasm.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ok, once I got cure, battles became easier (hate wasting potions in KH games), but as for now dashing into the wall and using the two hit free flow combo seems to be a godly strategy... I wonder if it'll change later.

Throwing items (don't remember the name of that gimmick) isn't really that much fun. For one it stops time for the duration of aiming, which breaks the flow of the battle. What's even worse, the barrels are usually placed near walls and rotating the camera to face the battle results in the thrown item to be out of view, which prevents from slinging it.

I wonder how the Drop system, allowing us to switch between Sora and Riku will turn out... I guess completing each character's part is required to push the story forward, but haven't gotten that far yet.

The card game is fun and requires a bit of strategy. Completed the training and the beginner cup so far and I liked it.

I want only to know whether there are hinst of a possible TWEWY sequel, since Nomura was pretty clear in saying we will hear something about that very soon.

ZenaxPure

Really not liking the new versions of Calling or Someday at all, but I will have to hear them in the game itself to see how well they really fit together, might be fine in there. Twister sounds awesome though.

So does anyone have any good impressions of the combat yet? From the few videos I've seen I can't really decipher anything going on with all the jumping off walls and pole swinging stuff. Also what exactly does "free flow combat" entail in this game?

I guess my real question is how does it feel compared to BBS?

I 'completed' the first world of the game with Sora and Riku, with about two hours on the clock while playing on Proud mode. I've barely seen/explored all the areas though plus it was clearly a tutorial beginning.

Combat is fast and you have a whole lot of options available to you. Unlike Keiician, I actually found the Reality Shift (throwing items) mechanic really useful, especially when I was caught between a rock and a hard place. It not only provided me a super quick out, but it also allowed me to damage a large group of enemies at the same time. Yes, it definitely brings things to a grinding halt, but I like having the option. Linking with your Dream Eater is also pretty sweet and I can see myself experimenting a lot with the different forms you can create.

The free flow combat combined with the standard move-list is pretty god-like. In particular, you'll be making use of pretty much everything in the boss battle at the end.

On the whole though, 3D is building on the deck system that BBS used, meaning the combat is rock solid. Having the D-pad below the circle pad does make for awkward moments though when shuffling between moves. Nothing impossible to overcome though.

Mild gameplay spoilers for world 1:
Both boss battle areas are absolutely massive with a ton of platforming areas. It's both tall and wide, meaning you have to make use of everything to evade attacks. The boss itself is extremely agile.
I can't really think of a similar KH boss battle off the top of my head. It was super unexpected.

Music has been excellent and as a TWEWY fan, I was reminded of how much I loved that game. Talk about a nostalgia overload.

I played an hour without the slide pad and an hour with. Both felt fine, though admittedly the Circle Pad Pro took some getting used to due to the last three KH games being on handhelds without dual sticks. I guess somewhere along the line I got used to that.

Some mild slowdown when shit gets real, like in all KH games. As soon as you have a lot going on onscreen, things slow down a bit. Nothing too awful though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Mmmm... tell me more...
dgEkq.jpg

Flick Rush

You select 3 of your Dream Eaters - each has it's own skills, which are the same as in normal game.

The goal is to get the HP of all opposing DE to 0.

Flicking the card up makes the DE use the skill, you can flick more than one to get a higher number. Each card flick takes one portion of the pink gauge and if it's empty you can't attack/defend. The DE with a higher number during an attack breaks the enemy's attack. Mind you, some of those skills have small AoE, so it's possible to miss, even if your number is higher. You can flick more than one card for a single attack, but you have to do it quickly and it takes more of the gauge.

Flicking the card down makes your DE defend and doesn't use the gauge. The thing is, all those skills have execution times, so you have to be very cautious of when to use them.

When you run out of cards (you actually have more than those 4 cards on screen), you can hold the DE icon with your stylus to recharge, but it takes a few seconds.

You can switch between your DEs and I think it also depletes one section of the gauge.

When 2 DE attack with the same number, a lottery game begins - it's basically a match 3 icons flicking contest - the first person whose icon makes the 3 upper icons the same wins and deals "huge" damage (the tutorial says it's huge, but uh, not really).

I think the numeric values on the cards are random - there's no "deck" to be modified anywhere, you just select your DEs.

You also get ranked based on time and the HP your DE have left.

All in all, it's a fun minigame and the only way to play against someone in multiplayer (local only, I guess).
Unlike Keiician, I actually found the Reality Shift (throwing items) mechanic really useful, especially when I was caught between a rock and a hard place. It not only provided me a super quick out, but it also allowed me to damage a large group of enemies at the same time. Yes, it definitely brings things to a grinding halt, but I like having the option. Linking with your Dream Eater is also pretty sweet and I can see myself experimenting a lot with the different forms you can create.
Well, there are times when it's useful, I'm not going to argue about that. I just hate not being able to sling the item because the object is to close to a wall and I don't see it.

Well, there are times when it's useful, I'm not going to argue about that. I just hate not being able to sling the item because the object is to close to a wall and I don't see it.

Admittedly, I've yet to try to launch one that's super close to a wall. I can imagine that being a pain in the ass.

duckroll

dgEkq.jpg

Card Rush

You select 3 of your Dream Eaters - each has it's own skills, which are the same as in normal game.

The goal is to get the HP of all opposing DE to 0.

Flicking the card up makes the DE use the skill, you can flick more than one to get a higher number. Each card flick takes one portion of the pink gauge and if it's empty you can't attack/defend. The DE with a higher number during an attack breaks the enemy's attack. Mind you, some of those skills have small AoE, so it's possible to miss, even if your number is higher. You can flick more than one card for a single attack, but you have to do it quickly and it takes more of the gauge.

Flicking the card down makes your DE defend and doesn't use the gauge. The thing is, all those skills have execution times, so you have to be very cautious of when to use them.

When you run out of cards (you actually have more than those 4 cards on screen), you can hold the DE icon with your stylus to recharge, but it takes a few seconds.

You can switch between your DEs and I think it also depletes one section of the gauge.

When 2 DE attack with the same number, a lottery game begins - it's basically a match 3 icons flicking contest - the first person whose icon makes the 3 upper icons the same wins and deals "huge" damage (the tutorial says it's huge, but uh, not really).

I think the numeric values on the cards are random - there's no "deck" to be modified anywhere, you just select your DEs.

All in all, it's a fun minigame and the only way to play against someone in multiplayer (local only, I guess).

Is this a multiplayer only minigame? Or can you play it with AI opponents anytime you want? It sounds really interesting, and a lot like Chain of Memories... mmmmm....

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Is this a multiplayer only minigame? Or can you play it with AI opponents anytime you want? It sounds really interesting, and a lot like Chain of Memories... mmmmm....
No no, you can play "tournaments". You get a beginner tournament after clearing the training one but I guess you have to progress the story or something to get the next ones.
Oh, you also get ranked based on time and the HP your DE have left.

duckroll

No no, you can play "tournaments". You get a beginner tournament after clearing the training one but I guess you have to progress the story or something to get the next ones.
Oh, you also get ranked based on time and the HP your DE have left.

Sweet. I'm so excited!

I will say this much.

The game completely assumes you're familiar with the entire series; Coded, 358, BBS etc. There is a really gigantic glossary included in-game which is certainly useful, but I think it goes without saying that you should NOT play this if you skipped 2 or even BBS.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I will say this much.

The game completely assumes you're familiar with the entire series; Coded, 358, BBS etc. There is a really gigantic glossary included in-game which is certainly useful, but I think it goes without saying that you should NOT play this if you skipped 2 or even BBS.
Well, I've only played one and two so.....

Skiesofwonder

You would be 100% lost within the first five minutes. That's not an exaggeration either.
:(

That sucks. Though I was already lost when it comes to Kingdom Heart's story. Hehe :p

They don't have any summary videos or something included? I could of swore someone said there was some in the main-menu... Maybe that was a dream.

RPGCrazied

I'm more curious about the secret movie. Isn't that suppose to shed clues on Kingdom Hearts 3? I hope someone youtubes it.

:(

That sucks. Though I was already lost when it comes to Kingdom Heart's story. Hehe :p

They don't have any summary videos or something included? I could of swore someone said there was some in the main-menu... Maybe that was a dream.

There is a really gigantic glossary included in-game which is certainly useful.

Huzzah. But like I said, it's not gonna make up for not playing BBS in my opinion. Either that or just read the wiki. Haha.

Awesome, my copy shipped and is apparently set to arrive tomorrow morning :>

For anyone with the game already, a quick question: Do you get a decent sense of control when using the Free Flow Actions?

Skiesofwonder

Huzzah. But like I said, it's not gonna make up for not playing BBS in my opinion. Either that or just read the wiki. Haha.
Well if Vita was BC or BBS was at least up on PSN then I would just download it and play it right before DDD is released over here. But that would be too easy.

I'll just read/watch what The Lamp recommend. But your impressions make me a bit weary about a purchase now. I just figured square/Disney wouldn't make the story so dependent on the previous entries considering they spam across three platforms and could possibly alienate newcomers to the series. Also, I just couldn't get into TWEWY so that will go over my head as well....

Spiegel

Supposedly this is displayed at the end of the credits:

The past will be reawakened as a new number.
In never-before seen detail.
Prepare yourself for the a wakening of the next number

KH0 (Birth By Sleep + whatever BBS2 is) for PS3/Vita/360 as preparation for KH3?

It makes sense, because I don't think S-E has a team available for making a full game at the moment.

Shit. I have to play BBS to understand. Let's see how much a PSP costs.

Otherwise I am the only one who is playing TWEWY because of KH3D?

KH0 (Birth By Sleep + whatever BBS2 is) for PS3/Vita/360 as preparation for KH3?

It makes sense, because I don't think S-E has a team available for making a full game at the moment.
It would be amazing if it is true.
But did Sony not co-published BBS?

sn00zer

The only real problem concerning the story is that they dont keep mainline story games on the same damn family of consoles...seriously I remmeber booting up KH2 without have a GBA and was completely lost

gosox333

Hoo, dem endgame spoilers. Interesting stuff for sure.

Has a western release been confirmed for July, or is that still just a rumor at this point?

Did anyone catch that the Ending Spoilers:
the three questions Ven, Roxas, and Xion ask Riku are the ones you (Sora) get asked by Tidus, Wakka, and (not Yuna) Selphie at the beginning of KH1
?

A nice little throwback there.

Seda

Hoo, dem endgame spoilers. Interesting stuff for sure.

Has a western release been confirmed for July, or is that still just a rumor at this point?

July release was posted on the French website for a short time, but taken down since. No release date has been confirmed.

Did anyone catch that the Ending Spoilers:
the three questions Ven, Roxas, and Xion ask Riku are the ones you (Sora) get asked by Tidus, Wakka, and Yuna at the beginning of KH1
?

A nice little throwback there.

Selphie
you mean.

BOSS SPOILERS

Apparently, people are confirming that
the Monster from Runaway Brain is an optional post-game boss in Traverse Town. Neat if true.

Top Bottom