• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts has two new development teams, new title coming “surprisingly soon”

Mista

Banned
KH-Tease_01-22-20.jpg

Two new Kingdom Hearts teams separate from the Kingdom Hearts III and Kingdom Hearts Union χ teams have been established within Square Enix, according to a “13 Questions of Darkness” Q&A posted on the Japanese Kingdom Hearts Twitter account today. And one of those teams will release a title “surprisingly soon.”

The Q&A reads, “While a traditional Kingdom Hearts will take some time, the Kingdom Hearts Union χ team will first be making an unexpected announcement tomorrow. Furthermore, in addition to the Kingdom Hearts III and Kingdom Hearts Union χ teams, two new teams are currently at work, and one of their titles is coming surprisingly soon.”

With the release of the latest update today, as well as the January 23 release of the downloadable content Kingdom Hearts III: Re Mind for PlayStation 4, Nomura also touched on the potential of future updates and downloadable content.

Nomura:
We don’t have updates planned at this time, but if something comes up in the future, then we will deal with it. As for downloadable content, Re Mind is the first and last. We’re already working on the next title.

Finally, where Kingdom Hearts games in the past were expanded through the release of a Final Mix version, Kingdom Hearts III expanded through updates and the upcoming downloadable content. Asked about a Final Mix version, Nomura had the following to say:
Currently, there are no concrete plans [for a Final Mix release]. If it appears on new platforms in the future, then it’s a possibility, but I’m not thinking about whether or not that will become a ‘Final Mix.
Gematsu

Andodalf

Banned
I could see a new spinoff game this year or early the next for sure, especially if it's a smaller title for Switch to go along with the story so far on the platform.

RPGCrazied

Hope its not a mobile title. I'm pretty assurd they will do spin off games. Its the nature of the franchise to have some. I predict a few before Kingdom Hearts 4.

Kingdom Hearts III is a good game but for me Kingdom Hearts II is way better.

Last edited:

Verdanth

I haven't played the third one yet, is it any good? Better than the second?

Simply put: no, it's not better than the second one.

If you're a follower of the series (which today is difficult af to keep track with whatever story Nomura is telling) the last couple of hours are where things get a little bit interesting. The game is gorgeous, way to easy and the story doesn't justify the hype it got.

I think the new DLC scales the difficult a little bit, thought.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
I dunno...feels like they gonna release either a movie only or an another collection. I hope its a "Re" of some other game(like 358), I wouldn't complain.

Yes. No more demented spam of reaction buttons.

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
Definitely not better than 2, which is a very high bar gameplay wise. Makes many of the same mistakes as BBS and 3D, but is better than those two overall. A lot of people are hoping the DLC/patch improves the gameplay but I doubt it. On the story side of things, it's a bit of a hot mess, but satisfying if you're into the lore, and ends the overall plot of 1-3 in a very satisfying way while also leaving a clear plot for sequels to follow. So, a Meh-Solid game overall, that's more of a Solid-Good game if you're a big fan.

Hinedorf

Banned
After grinding through all of KH last year I don't ever want to touch another KH game again. Horrible story, repetitive game mechanics, HORRIBLE STORY.

I like KH but would never play it again, overall bad gaming experience to me

Dynasty8

I didn't like it at all. Too easy (even on the hardest difficulty), way too flashly rather than having the player take control (felt like a button masher at times), and the dialogue and story are the cringiest I've ever experienced in a game (I know some hate that word, but it's true).

Mr Hyde

Definitely not better than 2, which is a very high bar gameplay wise. Makes many of the same mistakes as BBS and 3D, but is better than those two overall. A lot of people are hoping the DLC/patch improves the gameplay but I doubt it. On the story side of things, it's a bit of a hot mess, but satisfying if you're into the lore, and ends the overall plot of 1-3 in a very satisfying way while also leaving a clear plot for sequels to follow. So, a Meh-Solid game overall, that's more of a Solid-Good game if you're a big fan.

Can't say I'm huge fan, never played the handheld ones, but I did enjoy KH 1 & 2 for what it was. Maybe I should pick this up when the DLC is out, seems to be a somewhat mixed reception to this game.

SoraNoKuni

That's great, the latest patch made the gameplay A LOT better, and it was already fun.
Waiting for RE MIND to unlock, and I predict the upcoming game will be TWEWY with Sora in it :p

Neff

I liked it significantly more. Unlike 2 it has actual level design, secrets, fun diversions and things to do besides spamming combos, and it's a great deal less pretentious and self-indulgent. It's let down by being very easy though, even on Proud (I haven't played it since they patched in Critical mode).

The Snake

I couldn't finish it. Too much cringe in the story, dialogue, etc., gameplay that's usually boring with some occasional interesting bits, no Final Fantasy, and Disney worlds that only appeal to people born after 9/11. I'm in my 30's you assholes, I don't care about Frozen.

I could see a new spinoff game this year or early the next for sure, especially if it's a smaller title for Switch to go along with the story so far on the platform.
Please Square, stop with the multiple platform spin off non sense. Before the collection follow the series was a pain. There's no need to separate the series again.

Fbh

Please make lots of KH games to keep Nomura occupied on them!,

Also 13 Questions of Darkness ? Event he Q&A's have silly names lol

ExpandKong

Banned
Gotta start cranking out those oddly-named side stories before KH4 comes out in ten years I guess.

It's good but I wouldn't say it's better than 2. Gameplay is flashy but brain dead easy. Worlds are nicely constructed. Story is a mess, even moreso than usual I felt; the pacing is way off. It's like 18 hours of reenacting a bunch of Pixar movies and then three hours of "oh shit we forgot to do all the Kingdom Hearts stuff, open wide here it comes." And no FF stuff at all in the base game really irked me.

Still I wouldn't say I regret the time I spent playing it. I guess there was a patch that addressed some stuff, too? I might play it again later on after the DLC comes.

SoraNoKuni

Please Square, stop with the multiple platform spin off non sense. Before the collection follow the series was a pain. There's no need to separate the series again.
Yeah this is the most annoying part of the series, I hope they won't do a switch exclusive all of a sudden.

Ten_Fold

I can see a switch title that ties in with kh4, but man after kh3 I'm kinda done with the kh series. Hopefully it's at least interesting.

Fake

Kingdom Hearts 3 Update 1.09 Patch Notes (9GB)
  • You can turn in the Key Item Proof of Promises at the Moogle Shop to obtain the Keyblade "Oathkeeper."
  • You can turn in the Key Item Proof of Times Past at the Moogle Shop to obtain the Keyblade "Oblivion."
  • New forms have been added.
  • New abilities have been added.
  • Various menus have been updated.
  • Some cutscenes have been modified.
  • Various issues have been fixed.

O-N-E

As someone who was once a diehard Kingdom Hearts fan: Man, fuck that!

Give me The World Ends With You Too!

Fake

Downloading patch now. Can anyone confirm if the framerate is fixed? Specially in stable mode.
I already playing, but glad you remember for me. Will try asap. Having fun with those two new (old) keyblades. Their finish move are so good.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

I'm surprised nobody here talked about the mess (storywise) that is the DLC.
Nomura's brain needs to be examined.

Last edited:

RPGCrazied

Sadly performance was not fixed in stable mode on version 1.09. FF XV suffered from this frame pacing problem but was fixed months later via a steady mode. I guess SE ain't going to at this point.

Top Bottom