• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

Ydelnae

4votEnK.jpg

Publisher: Square Enix
Developer: Square Enix
Platform: Playstation 4
Genre: Single Player Action RPG
Rating: ESRB E10+/PEGI 12
Price: $59.99/59.99€/£44.99
Release Date:
A1WUZFj.png
January 12, 2017
qaJIQmV.png
January 24, 2017
PEcz5Sb.png
January 24, 2017
o8jsZxM.png
January 24, 2017​

Standard Edition Boxart
8SObSoX.jpg

Limited Edition includes an Official Disney collectible pin gift

KINGDOM HEARTS II.8 HD is the FINAL CHAPTER of the HD compilation saga that serves as a direct PROLOGUE to KINGDOM HEARTS III. This collection includes KINGDOM HEARTS HD: DREAM DROP DISTANCE, a remaster of the original Nintendo 3DS title published in 2012, now reworked to fit a new control scheme; KINGDOM HEARTS 0.2 BIRTH BY SLEEP -A Fragmentary Passage-, a brand new game developed in Unreal Engine 4; and KINGDOM HEARTS X CHI BACK COVER, a 80 minute length film. This is the first KH collectiong published on Playstation 4 and does not include 1.5 ReMIX and/or 2.5 ReMIX, which will be released in March, 2017.

If you have already played Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance on its original release for 3DS, you can play the games featured in this collection in any order, but take into account that to fully understand these titles you need to have played previous titles from the franchise (Kingdom Hearts 1, Kingdom Hearts 2 and Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep are essential).
If you haven't played the original release for Dream Drop Distance, it is encouraged that you play the HD remaster before the other two titles. After completing Dream Drop Distance, you can experience the other two games in any order. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance features a story summary for every KH game released before 2012.

DqmMx4G.jpg

King Mickey and Yen Sid prepare for an impending threat by putting Sora and Riku through the Mark of Mastery exam. The two friends are sent into the Sleeping Worlds, where they will face enemies and allies that have never been seen before. If they can successfully complete the task they are given, they will be deemed true Keyblade Masters.

lC7quKJ.jpg

• Control Sora and Riku while you travel brand new worlds based on Disney films like 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame', 'Tron: Legacy' and 'Fantasia'.
  • Switch between the two protagonists at will back and forth thanks to the Drop Gauge system: you are given a certain amount of time to play as Sora or Riku before the game forces your character back to sleep and drops to the another protagonist.
  • The combat system is based on the Command System seen in past games like Birth by Sleep. Sora and Riku feature different sets of abilities and battle styles that are also reflected on their command options.
  • For the first time in Kingdom Hearts, recruit and collect Dream Eaters to tame them as your companion in battle. Each Dream Eater can learn their own moveset and are able to unlock special abilities.
  • Featuring characters from the cult-classic videogame 'The World Ends With You', which make their debut on Playstation systems with this release.
  • Remaster: The game has been updated for console controls and reworked to fit the new hardware. Touchscreen based mini-games and attacks have been retooled into the game.
  • Remaster: For the first time in the series, the game features 1080p, 60fps gameplay on base Playstation 4 mode.
  • Remaster: Three new Dream Eaters have been added to the game, along with new in-game trophies.
  • Remaster: Playstation Network Trophy support has been added, this game features a Platinum Trophy.

faJXKkG.jpg

rUhCyBH.jpg

Sora
Sora is the main protagonist of the Kingdom Hearts series and the chosen one by the Keyblade. After saving the worlds from crisis, ending the threat of the Organization XIII, he learns from Mickey about the secrets from their past. Now, he has agreed to take the Mark of Mastery examination in order to retrieve a new power.

QZM0gbz.jpg

Riku
Riku is one of the protagonists of the Kingdom Hearts series and Sora's best friend. After walking through the path of dawn, debating between light and darkness, Riku has finally accepted his true self and is ready to take the Mark of Mastery examination to finally fight along his friends.

oYVVU4K.jpg

Axel
Axel was one of the Organization XIII's most unique personalities, even though he ultimately redeemed himself fighting for what he believed to be correct. Ghosts from the past come back to haunt him as he seems to have awaken in a familiar place.

tYpN7js.jpg

Mickey Mouse
King Mickey has traveled the worlds multiple times to save the kingdom from darkness, but now is his turn to sit back and watch while Sora and Riku take action.

2ZLOY7P.jpg

> What games do I need to have played before playing Dream Drop Distance?
Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II and Birth By Sleep are essential. It is also required to have knowledge of the events despicted in Chains of Memories and 358/2 Days, along with additional story details featured in the Final Mix versions of the three games mentioned previously.​

> Is the Drop Gauge mechanic as frustrating as it was in the original game?
They have doubled the amount of time that you can spend with each character in the remaster (Original game: 10 minutes. Remaster: 20 minutes). You can also use items that slow down the Drop Gauge to allow you to have even more time to play as each character.​

> Is the summary of the old games featured in this game enough for me to catch up in terms of story?
It is always recommended to play the games. The summary can patch up some gaps if you have skipped games like 358/2 Days, but new players might have problems understanding the story if this summary is their first contact with Kingdom Hearts.​

> What happens if the game switches out my character in the middle of a boss fight?
You are forced to restart the battle. In order to avoid this, watch your Drop Gauge and use certain items to slow it down.​

> Sora and Riku look younger, does this game take place before Kingdom Hearts 2?
Dream Drop Distance is a direct sequel to Kingdom Hearts 2. Sora and Riku's younger appearance will be explained in the game.​

JNxApQ4.jpg

Master Aqua has been trapped in the Dark World for what seems like an eternity. After her efforts to save her friends, Terra and Ventus, Aqua sacrificed herself and now walks alone in a dangerous and sinister alternate reality, not knowing wether she will come back home or not. During her secluded journey, Aqua will learn that she is not the only person crossing the Realm of Darkness.

1kBK6j0.jpg

• Experience the first bit at Kingdom Hearts III with this prologue, made entirely in Unreal Engine 4.
  • Even though this game features gameplay mechanics from Kingdom Hearts III, based on the combat system seen in KH2, Aqua still retains her abilities and skills from her last appearance.
  • For the first time in the series, customize and equip Aqua with multiple accesories and color re-skins.
  • The game runs at 1080p 30fps in base PS4 mode, while it features an unlocked framerate in its Pro mode.
  • The game features Playstation Network Trophy support, but it does not feature a Platinum Trophy.

OZP6cWK.jpg

nAC3BvQ.jpg

Master Aqua
The only one of Eraqus' pupils to have been recognized as a true Keyblade Master. Even though she was the sole survivor of an historic battle that took place many years ago, she decided to sacrifice herself to bring her friends back. Aqua disappeared in darkness, seemingly never to be seen again.

NpFXA95.jpg

Mickey Mouse
When the worlds were threatened by true darkness, King Mickey left the castle abruptly. While Donald and Goofy were commanded to follow the true chosen one by the Keyblade, Mickey's journey led him to the Dark World.

fGIzff5.jpg

> What games do I need to have played before playing 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage?
Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are essential.​

> How long is this game?
The game length has been approximated to be around 3-4 hours for a first playthrough. This game serves as a prologue to Kingdom Hearts III and it is not intended to be viewed as a full fledged RPG. However, it is filled with replayable content and a unlockable difficulty mode which might extend its length.​

> Is there enough optional content to justify a second playthrough?
This games features optional chest haunt, in-game rewards and
Boss Rush mode, along with a Secret Boss.

> Is this a remake of the Secret Episode featured in Birth By Sleep Final Mix?
No, this is a direct follow-up to Birth by Sleep's Secret Episode and picks up inmediately after Aqua sees the Castle of Dreams succumb to darkness.​

> Will this Prologue be included in Kingdom Hearts III?
No, however, some scenes will be reworked to serve as an opening to Kingdom Hearts III. 0.2 A Fragmentary Passage is the only way to experience this episode of Kingdom Heart's story in full detail.​

iMOq5A9.jpg

In ancient times, there was a Master of Masters who disappeared without notice. He bestowed His six followers with new names, and using his gift of foresight, gave five of them a tome of prophecy. These five followers, who were to become the Foretellers, read the future written in the tome. "The war in that place will lead to the defeat and destruction of the Light. The World will be enveloped in eternal Darkness." In order to save the future World, the five Foretellers thought to use the power hidden in the tome of prophecy.

28vyyBj.jpg

• Experience the events that lead directly to the Keyblade War in this 60 minute length movie made entirely in Unreal Engine 4 using Kingdom Hearts III graphics.
  • Discover the identity of the traitor that caused the Foretellers' downfall and meet key characters that will come to play an important role in the future of the series.
  • This title does not feature Playstation Trophy support, unlike previous Kingdom Hearts movies.

sLcpgZO.jpg

fEzzxSH.jpg

The Foretellers
Gula, Ira, Invi, Ava and Aced are the five Foretellers whose bestowed task is to protect the future of the worlds with the use of the Book of Prophecies. However, one of the six apprentices of the Master has betrayed the rest and stolen a secret that might change the fate of the worlds.

dggA5Y7.jpg

Chirithy
Created by the Master of Masters, the Chirithy are cat-like Pokémon that used to offer advice to Keyblade wielders and watched over their journeys. Each Chirithy is linked to a warrior through an unbreakable bound: if its partner were to be defeated and tempted by the darkness, Chirithy would also vanish into obscurity.

CArTHkb.jpg

> Do I need to play the Kingdom Hearts Chi mobile game to understand this game?
This movie features another side of the story told in the mobile game. While the mobile game focuses on the Keyblade wielders who fought at the Keyblade War, this movie tells the story of the Foretellers and their downfall.​

> It's been 20 minutes since the game started and I still haven't got past the cutscenes. How long is the introduction before I regain control of my character?
Kingdom Hearts Chi Back Cover does not feature gameplay, it is made entirely by cutscenes.​

> Is this a standalone story?
No, the story continues in the next season of Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi. Plot points introduced in this movie will also play a large role in Kingdom Hearts III and the next saga.​

aOYpjKS.jpg

Not jumping in at launch unfortunately but I hope it's excellent. That remix is FIRE <3

Also, that Pro mode sounds weird. Hope it's stable.

Ydelnae

You have been visited by the UE4 Terra.

mOL0Q09.png

If you post in this thread complaining about the numbering and naming of the Kingdom Hearts games, he will come for you in your sleep and drag you to the realm of darkness and shovelware models.

I was under the impression we were getting a HD remake of kingdom hearts 1 and 2, that's dissapointing, I wanted to start from the beginning but I guess this will have to do when I get a slim next week.
Never had the patience to console hop with the series, nice to have a collection of sorts

I have the game since Friday

Both 0.2 and the Unchained &#967; film are pretty good.

The only downside is that both of them are very short :p.

Man, waiting for KH3 is going to be hard :/.

I'm seeing myself playing 0.2 a lot to alleviate the pain of the waiting , even after getting all the trophies xD

Just about wrapped up with my Final Fantasy XV platinum and have the next two days off so keen for 0.2 and X Backcover.

Not gonna replay DDD any time soon though.

Getting a new KH fix is one of lifes greatest pleasures.

I was under the impression we were getting a HD remake of kingdom hearts 1 and 2, that's dissapointing, I wanted to start from the beginning but I guess this will have to do when I get a slim next week.
That's coming at the end of March.

Shahadan

Local store had it last saturday but I have zero hype so I ignored it *shrugs*
At this point I guess I need KH3. Will probably just watch stuff on youtube.
Sad!

DKHF

Never had the patience to console hop with the series, nice to have a collection of sorts
I would highly recommend waiting until March then, when a collection (KH HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix) with Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 included will be released.

Kanhir

Great OT. I've played through 0.2 and watched Back Cover, now it's DDD time. Again.

What made them think it was a good idea to release 2.8, then 1.5+2.5 two months later?

kewlmyc

You have been visited by the UE4 Terra.

mOL0Q09.png

If you post in this thread complaining about the numbering and naming of the Kingdom Hearts games, he will come for you in your sleep and drag you to the realm of darkness and shovelware models.

Oh my god....

Please take your time with KHIII, Nomura.

FSLink

Banned
Really enjoyed Back Cover and 0.2 in Japanese, looking forward to getting my US copy. Played DDD for a few minutes and man 60FPS is pretty fun. Can't wait to do a full playthrough of it again.

Kuraudo

Banned
Probably going to pick this up before the end of the week. I didn't play 3D, so pretty excited for that.

Is there Japanese audio in the English release? I played KH2 and BBS in Japanese, so would be nice to be able to continure the trend.

Zexen

Yup, waiting for a price drop, as much as I love Kingdom Hearts and tempting 0.2 is , not worth 60€ for so little content.

Jeels

When's embargo lift? Unlike Yakuza and Resident Evil, Square doesn't seem confident in their Tuesday game...

Finished 0.2 story yesterday was better than I was expecting. Played on proud mode and was the first kh I had played in quite some time and was surprised I still had some difficulty. Had a self imposed rule (little item usage) but the bosses seem to hit pretty hard at times

Luigi87

I do love me some Kingdom Hearts.
As ridiculous as it is, it is my third favourite series.

DDD has its issues, but it is still a really good game. Really looking forward to 0.2.

Top Bottom