• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue |OT| May our hearts be our guiding key

RevolvingGraciousCaimanlizard.gif

Never noticed that Goofy and Donald's health bars shake when attacked :O

Exentryk

I never cared for KH platforming; it mostly was a frustrating endeavour. So yeah, I am really glad Flowmotion will be in KH3. People that like platforming can still choose to avoid using Flowmotion, so everyone is happy.

EnlightenedFlashyIaerismetalmark.gif

if they're going to keep flowmotion they need to allow you to chain it with other movement.

not being able to flowmo into a glide in ddd is really disappointing.

I never cared for KH platforming; it mostly was a frustrating endeavour. So yeah, I am really glad Flowmotion will be in KH3. People that like platforming can still choose to avoid using Flowmotion, so everyone is happy.
i don't really care about the platforming but flomo kind of breaks combat. the flo mo jump bomb attack is too OP.

Exentryk

if they're going to keep flowmotion they need to allow you to chain it with other movement.

not being able to flowmo into a glide in ddd is really disappointing.

Agreed.

i don't really care about the platforming but flomo kind of breaks combat. the flo mo jump bomb attack is too OP.

Flomo attacks don't really do much damage though, at least later on in the game. I'm rarely using them now as my normal attacks and other moves are much stronger. Also, you still take damage when using Flomo attacks, so it's not free invincibility or anything. I feel it is balanced well enough.

NullKaze

Flomo attacks don't really do much damage though, at least later on in the game. I'm rarely using them now as my normal attacks and other moves are much stronger. Also, you still take damage when using Flomo attacks, so it's not free invincibility or anything. I feel it is balanced well enough.
I dislike FlowMo precisely because of its attacks.

Long animations, no i-frames, risky damage later in the game - it'd be much better if you could go into a regular aerial combo after FlowMo, and combo a spell and a few Horizontal Slashes rather than a stupid spiral and slam.

Not really, as said above, it's not as useful in a lot of scenarios. If the enemy likes to drop bombs, fireballs, you are gonna die relying on flowmotion. balloon and its family + magic haste + magic boost are way more OP. Stun, combo, Stun cycle can be cheesed so easily.

Exentryk

I dislike FlowMo precisely because of its attacks.

Long animations, no i-frames, risky damage later in the game - it'd be much better if you could go into a regular aerial combo after FlowMo, and combo a spell and a few Horizontal Slashes rather than a stupid spiral and slam.

Yeah, long animations and no i-frames does make them risky, hence why I'm not using it as much lol. With KH3, at least that uppercut slash after flowall looks quick enough, so that's a positive. It is still part of a flomo attack though, so not sure the devs will add normal attack combos to be chained after flomo. Let's see.

Byvar

I never cared for KH platforming; it mostly was a frustrating endeavour. So yeah, I am really glad Flowmotion will be in KH3.
Do you also not like progression gating? Like seeing a chest somewhere high up in Traverse Town and thinking "hmm, I'll have to come back for that when I get High Jump"? Because thanks to Flowmotion, that was all gone and abilities like High Jump and Glide were pretty much useless.

People that like platforming can still choose to avoid using Flowmotion, so everyone is happy.
Not this again. It's like saying "Sure, Balloon is OP and you can beat the secret boss by mashing triangle with it, but people who like the combat can still beat the secret boss without it."
The thing is that people who like it are effectively crippling themselves if they decide not to use Flowmotion, and not playing the game the way it is intended to be played. And if they do use Flowmotion, it just becomes mindless, exactly like how the combat becomes mindless by spamming Balloon. And you get rewarded for it, too, with chests (platforming) or levels (combat) or even stuff like the Ultima Weapon (secret boss). But when you do it like that, it all just feels like grinding, whether it's exploration or combat, and not fun. Unfair, too - you shouldn't deserve to collect the items in the chests that you shouldn't be able to reach, and you shouldn't deserve to get the Ultima Weapon by spamming Balloon for 2 minutes. It's bad design.

Exentryk

Do you also not like progression gating? Like seeing a chest somewhere high up in Traverse Town and thinking "hmm, I'll have to come back for that when I get High Jump"? Because thanks to Flowmotion, that was all gone and abilities like High Jump and Glide were pretty much useless.

Having to back track to the same areas to pick up a couple of chests is needless padding, and poor design. So yeah, don't care for it at all.

Not this again. It's like saying "Sure, Balloon is OP and you can beat the secret boss by mashing triangle with it, but people who like the combat can still beat the secret boss without it."
The thing is that people who like it are effectively crippling themselves if they decide not to use Flowmotion, and not playing the game the way it is intended to be played. And if they do use Flowmotion, it just becomes mindless, exactly like how the combat becomes mindless by spamming Balloon.

It's not crippling yourself if you don't use flowmotion for platforming. The game is actually designed such that you can reach every treasure chest without flowmotion. So people that like platforming will find it rewarding if they do it without flowmotion.

Asking the devs to make it so everyone has to suffer with platforming would be poor design. The current way of letting people choose is the better design choice.

Byvar

Having to back track to the same areas to pick up a couple of chests is needless padding, and poor design. So yeah, don't care for it at all.
You don't need to pick up those chests. In case you want to pick up those chests, wouldn't that mean you like the exploration/platforming enough to do so? Or do you feel forced to go for 100% completion somehow?
It's not crippling yourself if you don't use flowmotion for platforming. The game is actually designed such that you can reach every treasure chest without flowmotion. So people that like platforming will find it rewarding if they do it without flowmotion.
But there is literally no motivation for doing so, so why would you limit yourself at all? By locking optional treasure chests behind platforming challenges, or just useless crowns like in KH2FM, the items become motivations and rewards for playing well, instead of just things that you would be able to get either way, and they are not forced upon anyone...

Exentryk

You don't need to pick up those chests. In case you want to pick up those chests, wouldn't that mean you like the exploration/platforming enough to do so? Or do you feel forced to go for 100% completion somehow?

Not at all. I want the items inside of those chests, and don't care about platforming.

But there is literally no motivation for doing so, so why would you limit yourself at all?

Because you enjoy platforming and you'll get more satisfaction by getting the treasure chests without using flowmotion. Your argument is to force platforming on everyone so everyone has to suffer just because you get more motivation to find treasure chests if there are restrictions. I'm saying having flowmotion gives the other players that don't care about platforming an option to enjoy the game, while the players that do enjoy platforming still have the option to not use flowmotion and still get satisfaction out of platforming. It's a win-win.

Just wanna say, if you aren't that big on Flowmotion and would rather play DDD without activating the attacks and whatnot, you can disable it via the command menu. The Flowmotion attacks are under where you install High Jump, Glide etc. so you can play without using Flowmotion if you so choose.

There's some nice systems in place for exploration if you choose to not use Flowmotion, such as those boards that can flip you higher and super glide. I get that turning off Flowmotion isn't the solution for some people despite not liking it but it's good they give the option if you so choose.

Probably no one.

Rewatched a couple of back cover scenes
It seems to only state a key blade wielder will betray other key blade workers. The master of masters never directly says it's anyone from the current era. I think the implication is simply xehanort is the traitor. It technically means the Keyblade war was pointless since they were fighting over an enemy yet to be born.

Exentryk

There is a bug while making Ryu Dragon using Brilliant and Epic Fantasy recipe where the game crashes every time. Had like 5 crashes, but then I moved to a different area and tried again, and it worked. Really annoying.

Byvar

I want the items inside of those chests, and don't care about platforming.
I want the Ultima Weapon but don't care about doing the secret boss. It's fantastic that I have Balloon so I can skip it and still get the reward. And players that do enjoy bosses like that still have the option to not use Balloon and still get satisfaction out of beating it - yet no extra reward. It's a win-win.

Do you agree? Why (not)?
I'm genuinely curious what you think about this since by your reasoning, the answer should be exactly the same as the Flowmotion situation, yet I haven't seen anyone ever who actually likes Balloon. If you think Balloon should be less powerful, then that's because you like the combat and not the platforming, but then at least you can imagine how someone who likes the platforming feels about it. If you think Balloon is good, then, well, you're the first! :)

Just wanna say, if you aren't that big on Flowmotion and would rather play DDD without activating the attacks and whatnot, you can disable it via the command menu.
There's some nice systems in place for exploration if you choose to not use Flowmotion, such as those boards that can flip you higher and super glide. I get that turning off Flowmotion isn't the solution for some people despite not liking it but it's good they give the option if you so choose.
It's good that you have that option, yes, but you can't turn it off if you want to collect everything in the game. There are portals that require you to pull off X Flowmotion attacks and even some platforming segments that require it, such as this part (which the guy playing of course completely skips with the wall jump). There's also the fact that you save yourself time by skipping the platforming, and you save yourself from falling into stuff like that pink mist that increases your drop rate, so you get rewarded for skipping everything instead of the other way around. There really is no reason to turn it off.
To be fair, all those platforming parts being in the game make it feel more like they designed the game to be played with Flowmotion, but they just didn't realize it was so easy to abuse it to trivialize the level design they actually worked pretty hard on.

Lnds500

I want the Ultima Weapon but don't care about doing the secret boss. It's fantastic that I have Balloon so I can skip it and still get the reward. And players that do enjoy bosses like that still have the option to not use Balloon and still get satisfaction out of beating it - yet no extra reward. It's a win-win.

People keep quoting that video, but I doubt that the guy is playing on the higher difficulties.

Byvar

People keep quoting that video, but I doubt that the guy is playing on the higher difficulties.
Even if he isn't, you can do the exact same thing even on Critical if you have Magic Haste active so your commands reload fast enough. Julius will repeat his moves whenever he gets staggered - which is what Balloon does, apart from dealing massive damage. So spamming Balloon over and over will lead him to repeat his moves and get staggered again, until he's dead.
Even if you're not abusing the boss's repeating moves, I very easily defeated him with Sora and Riku on Proud by dodging and using Balloon all the time. A bit like this, I guess. Wasn't very proud of it, though.

So I'm doing all the Special Portals in 3D. Why is the Forecast system wrong? It keeps saying the portal I haven't done is "Next" so I drop and and check again and it's not. It seems random and broken.

Luigi87

So I'm doing all the Special Portals in 3D. Why is the Forecast system wrong? It keeps saying the portal I haven't done is "Next" so I drop and and check again and it's not. It seems random and broken.

IIRC, the one it shows next is for your current character, not the character you're dropping to.

IIRC, the one it shows next is for your current character, not the character you're dropping to.

Yeah I got that. The issue is for example I'm on The Grid as Sora and the forecast tells me the last Special Portal I need to get will be happening next. So what I do is drop twice so that I'm playing as Sora again and it doesn't work. Sometimes the current Special Portal stays the same, sometimes it changes and the "Next" section always has the one I need. I even tried re-clearing whatever current Portal was up on the world to see if that would change it with no luck.

Luigi87

Yeah I got that. The issue is for example I'm on The Grid as Sora and the forecast tells me the last Special Portal I need to get will be happening next. So what I do is drop twice so that I'm playing as Sora again and it doesn't work. Sometimes the current Special Portal stays the same, sometimes it changes and the "Next" section always has the one I need. I even tried re-clearing whatever current Portal was up on the world to see if that would change it with no luck.

Damn, that definitely sounds like a glitch.

Lnds500

1) where can I check the forecast??? I found the one that you choose after "drop" but where can I find my current forecast? EDIT: complete idiot, says "now" and "next"
2) my dream eater has some green bubbles when I pet his and doesn't seem to like it. what's that?
3) I've been petting, feeding and poking my Spirit's face to get it to change disposition and nothing happens (Necho -> Artist). If it were up to me, I'd stop rubbing that Necho Cat's feet, I'd cut them off and feed them to him instead.

Psxphile

Rewatched a couple of back cover scenes
It seems to only state a key blade wielder will betray other key blade workers. The master of masters never directly says it's anyone from the current era. I think the implication is simply xehanort is the traitor. It technically means the Keyblade war was pointless since they were fighting over an enemy yet to be born.
The Lost Page, according to [chi] during it's final chapter, suggests that the traitor
"will clash their keyblade with another wielder, and the tolling of a great bell will signal the beginning of the end". Immediately after we're told this (from Gula), we're treated to a cutscene where Ava finds and calls out Luxu who's been missing all that time, accuses him of being the traitor, and attacks him with her keyblade. He blocks it with No Name, and the power behind the strike creates a minor shockwave that triggers the Clocktower's bell to toll.

From this you can infer who the Lost Page claims the traitor is, but really the traitor is basically anyone who loses their resolve and tries to go against "fate" according to the book: the Keyblade War will happen, the world will end, darkness will prevail... and anyone who forgets their role and tries to stop it is the real traitor.

Maybe. Shit is cryptic, yo. And we still need Unchained Season 2 to clarify things.

2) my dream eater has some green bubbles when I pet his and doesn't seem to like it. what's that?
3) I've been petting, feeding and poking my Spirit's face to get it to change disposition and nothing happens (Necho -> Artist). If it were up to me, I'd stop rubbing that Necho Cat's feet, I'd cut them off and feed them to him instead.
2) just means it dislikes that area being rubbed/poked.
3) Here's the dealio:

Positive dispositions - Blue/Green eyes
Negative dispostions - Red/Yellow eyes

Rubbing gets you Green or Yellow, Poking gets you Red or Blue. Where you Rub/Poke will determine if you'll get the Positive or Negative one.

Also, a Spirit's dispositions can only be changed once per visit to the Dream Eater bonding screen. When it does, quit out back to the main menu and then back to Bonding: you'll be able to change its disposition again once more. And of course, it's all RNG if your Spirit changes right away or after 20 Pokes/Rubs.

Is it my imagination or was Proud Mode pretty easy in DDD? I only had trouble on a few bosses, and no where near as difficult as KH1HD to me.

I haven't decided if I want to go back and 100% DDD yet.

Burbeting

Banned
Flowmotion needs to be either tied to some gauge that you can't use it infinitely, or make it so that Sora obtains more Flowmotion moves as the game goes on, not start with the full set from the beginning of the game. The traversal "puzzles" are basically a joke in this game, even if climbing walls is pretty fun.

Exentryk

I want the Ultima Weapon but don't care about doing the secret boss. It's fantastic that I have Balloon so I can skip it and still get the reward. And players that do enjoy bosses like that still have the option to not use Balloon and still get satisfaction out of beating it. It's a win-win.

Do you agree?

Yes, agreed. Broken setups in my single player RPGs is one of my favourite aspects about them.

It's good that you have that option, yes, but you can't turn it off if you want to collect everything in the game. There are portals that require you to pull off X Flowmotion attacks and even some platforming segments that require it, such as this part (which the guy playing of course completely skips with the wall jump). There's also the fact that you save yourself time by skipping the platforming, and you save yourself from falling into stuff like that pink mist that increases your drop rate, so you get rewarded for skipping everything instead of the other way around. There really is no reason to turn it off.
To be fair, all those platforming parts being in the game make it feel more like they designed the game to be played with Flowmotion, but they just didn't realize it was so easy to abuse it to trivialize the level design they actually worked pretty hard on.

That is very true.

Playing on Critical the only option for me to beat the secret boss was to spam balloon. Probably my least favorite boss in the series. He's ridiculous.

Lnds500

2) just means it dislikes that area being rubbed/poked.
3) Here's the dealio:

Positive dispositions - Blue/Green eyes
Negative dispostions - Red/Yellow eyes

Rubbing gets you Green or Yellow, Poking gets you Red or Blue. Where you Rub/Poke will determine if you'll get the Positive or Negative one.

Also, a Spirit's dispositions can only be changed once per visit to the Dream Eater bonding screen. When it does, quit out back to the main menu and then back to Bonding: you'll be able to change its disposition again once more. And of course, it's all RNG if your Spirit changes right away or after 20 Pokes/Rubs.

Thanks for the help, especially about the Main Menu part.

Man the skill acquisition system is complete garbage in this game. I have completed the game and I still didn't have what I consider vital abilities. The game really expects you to stop everything else and grind A LOT. And even then, your abilities are tied to your equipped Spirit - lame.

Everything about the Spirits should have been easier. More link points per fights, less petting, skills that stay with your character. I found BBS's system absolutely fantastic on that matter. It was very addicting and it kept you going. 3D is like "how much farther?".

For how much critique KH1 platforming gets, IMO

1)It wasn't that bad. You want bad? Go play DMC1.

2) There actually is very little """hard"""" platforming you need to do. The only thing that comes to mind is the hippo section in Deep Jungle. A ton of platforming sections are completely optional.

The part where you need to friggin push a box to reach an accessory at the start of KH1 is 100x more satisfying than anything exploration wise in DDD.

Exentryk

Man the skill acquisition system is complete garbage in this game. I have completed the game and I still didn't have what I consider vital abilities. The game really expects you to stop everything else and grind A LOT. And even then, your abilities are tied to your equipped Spirit - lame.

Everything about the Spirits should have been easier. More link points per fights, less petting, skills that stay with your character. I found BBS's system absolutely fantastic on that matter. It was very addicting and it kept you going. 3D is like "how much farther?".

Yeah, it's really grindy. I'm at the end of the final world and haven't even unlocked Mega Flare. I'm having to waterbarrel LP points near the save point to at least try out these abilities before the final boss, lol. Really poor system.

2) There actually is very little """hard"""" platforming you need to so. The only thing that comes to mind is the hippo section in Deep Jungle. A ton of platforming sections are completely optional.

The part where you need to friggin push a box to reach an accessory at the start of KH1 is 100x more satisfying than anything exploration wise in DDD.
true

Lnds500

2) There actually is very little """hard"""" platforming you need to so. The only thing that comes to mind is the hippo section in Deep Jungle. A ton of platforming sections are completely optional.

Which isn't evdn that important since the game expects you to revisit the worlds later on when you get your advanced abilities.

The issue with Dream Eaters is how much of a timesink they are and how it doesn't actually get faster.

With BBS for example you would synth a command and start grinding it. Grinding was much more productive there because you'd kill some enemies gain normal EXP and EXP for your command. Maxing out a bunch of commands, getting new abilities and experimenting with other commands was simple, fast and fun.

Dream Eaters however require you to play minigames, pet them and feed them to get the LP needed to unlock stuff on their board. The problem is that this doesn't get faster as the game goes on. With BBS it would get faster because the stronger the enemies the more exp you and your commands would get. With Dream Eaters you're still getting the same amount of LP from Hour 1 to Hour 50. What's worse is half the game's abilities only function if you keep the Dream Eater in your party. This basically punishes you for trying different ones because why would you want to try out this other one when it would make you lose all the HP Boosts and Magic Hastes you unlocked. Don't even get me started on the gates that force you to link X number of times either.

I feel like the Dream Eater issue would be fixed if it functioned like BBS. You gain LP as you kill enemies and each board for each Dream Eater has 2-3 gates that require you to gain affection via petting, minigames and food. All the abilities you gain are permanent so you'd have no problem wanting to experiment more and try out some of the Dream Eaters that offer less stat-up abilities.

I think the moment I realized the Dream Eater grinding was truly mediocre was when I entered a Candy Goggles minigame by accident, quit the game and saw myself get full credit for it. From then on all I did to grind these little shits was buy 30 candy goggles and rake in 4-500LP in about 4 minutes. Doing it is super boring but manages to be less boring and less of a timesink than playing it how it was intended.

Psxphile

Dream Eaters are essentially sentient pieces of armor that actively fight with you and bestow bonuses to HP, offense and defense when "equipped" (as well as perm abilities), but first you have to unlock those abilities in a very tedious manner.

Top Bottom