• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts portables info thread (PSP/DS/mobile, clean scans, info)

duckroll

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (PSP)

- Developed by the KH Re:CoM (PS2) team at the Osaka branch of S-E.
- Co-directed by Tai Yasue, who also co-directed KH Re:CoM
- 3 scenarios, 3 main characters, play in any order
- Battle system is a mix of KH CoM (deck of abilities/skills) and KH's normal controls
- The random elements and the timing based gameplay is Nomura's evolution of what he used in CoM and IAWW

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (DS)

- Developed by h.a.n.d., the guys that made Chocobo DS.
- Co-directed by Tomohiro Hagesawa, who also co-directed IAWW.
- Multiplayer gameplay is mission based, and your friends can play as any of the XIII Org members.
- Scenario is compared to Crisis Core, in that most people will know how it ends, but not how it will flow.

Kingdom Hearts Coded (Mobile)

- Developed by the Before Crisis FFVII team.
- Co-directed by Hajime Tabata, who directed Before Crisis and Crisis Core.
- Disney worlds will be available as individual downloads.
- The setting involves Sora's memories being accessed, possibly through a computer. It is compared to CoM's scenario in that sense.
- Graphics are 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds to allow both high spec and low spec phones to be support.
- Planned to be released internationally, hence the focus on compatibility.

Nomura Interview about new KH Projects:

They make a freakin' cell phone version, but give no love for Live Arcade....even with old FF titles, or older Kingdom Hearts.

Dammit. I give up on Squaresoft-Enix...they make no sense anymore.

Borys

Banned
Hot damn @ the cellphone version. Will GAF hate that also?

EDIT: ^^ too late :lol GAF hate for cellphone gaming grows stronger each passing day.

ZeoVGM

Banned
duckroll said:

duckroll said:

duckroll said:

duckroll said:

duckroll said:

:D

Kyoufu

DiatribeEQ said:
They make a freakin' cell phone version, but give no love for Live Arcade....even with old FF titles, or older Kingdom Hearts.

Please leave the stupid out of this thread. Thanks.

DS multiplayer looks like its going to have alot of potential if you can select any 3 from the Org.XIII+Roxas (or is Roxas not mandatory?). The 3D graphics don't look bad either. I might just have to install Xlink Kai to play this thing online (unless its infrastructure already, doubt it though).

Borys said:
Hot damn @ the cellphone version. Will GAF hate that also?

EDIT: ^^ too late :lol GAF hate for cellphone gaming grows stronger each passing day.

Oh, I've got all sorts of love for the PSP version, but man...still...

Lobster

Banned
DS one does look good..but im still a bit sad :(

The PSP one looks great, definitely the same quality of graphics that we were seeing on the PS2 versions.

duckroll

Maxrpg said:
pff he just made this thread because of the famitsu thread not being all rosy :lol

Or maybe because it's better to have a dedicated thread when there are tons of clean scans? :p

ZeoVGM

Banned
duckroll said:
Or maybe because it's better to have a dedicated thread when there are tons of clean scans? :p

This is a better answer.

On subject, I WANT TO SEE THE TRAILERS TO THESE.

k?

Nice thread.

Actually all three games sound nice (especially the PSP one), but I think the DS one sounds the worst. I just don't like the focus on multiplay because I have a feeling it won't be WFC compatible. It'd be nice if they took the DQIX approach where the game can ALSO be fully enjoyed playing alone. >_<

duckroll

Magicpaint said:
Nice thread.

Actually all three games sound nice (especially the PSP one), but I think the DS one sounds the worst. I just don't like the focus on multiplay because I have a feeling it won't be WFC compatible. It'd be nice if they took the DQIX approach where the game can ALSO be fully enjoyed playing alone. >_<

It's not really a multiplay focus. It's a single player game where you play as Roxas, throughout his existance before he fades away. There will be other worlds just like in all the KH games. The multiplayer mode is the only way to play as the other Organization members though, and it's restricted to multiplayer missions.

duckroll said:
It's not really a multiplay focus. It's a single player game where you play as Roxas, throughout his existance before he fades away. There will be other worlds just like in all the KH games. The multiplayer mode is the only way to play as the other Organization members though, and it's restricted to multiplayer missions.
Ok, sounds kind of like the mechanics they had in Children of Mana, where single player wise you play alone, but with other people you can have party members. I'm not really fond of the idea but nice to hear there's an actual single player mode. I had never heard of that until now.

castle007

Banned
Lots of info.

The DS and PSP versions look good.

And how is that guy from the PSP game not Roxas??? He looks exactly like him

Nebur

This game (NDS one) is totally awesome, mobile veron is really really good, my old mobile phone will say something like 'see you later' in the future xd

PSP version looks like PS2 to me and thats so good!

duckroll

castle007 said:
And how is that guy from the PSP game not Roxas??? He looks exactly like him

Same design, same voice. Different character. Nomura says there's a reason, but going by KH's scenarios, that reason is probably going to be pretty lame. :)

Burai

shitonmychest57
DiatribeEQ said:

I know. Chasing platforms that will make them money. The FOOLS!

I just wish we had cellphones as good as they have in the East. It's quickly establishing itself as a very serious gaming platform and we're being left so far behind.

PSP & DS versions are ridiculously impressive graphics wise.

Hell and of course the mobile version... what cellphone do you need to play that?

Amir0x

Banned
the 3D in that PSP game is insane for a portable
the 3D in that DS game is uglier than I imagined it'd be
The graphics in Coded Hearts Mobile are ASTONISHING. Winner

Neomoto

The DS version looks like crap. Seriously, the mobile version almost looks better.
PSP version looks ace though.

Kyoufu

Neomoto said:
The DS version looks like crap. Seriously, the mobile version almost looks better.
PSP version looks ace though.

DS version looks good to me considering its 4 player and its on DS. What did you really expect?

Lobster

Banned
Kyoufu said:
DS version looks good to me considering its 4 player and its on DS. What did you really expect?

To look better then the mobile version. The mobile version has a good design choice aswell.

Rlan

That's the Wonderland level in those DS shots, right? Seems similar.. shame it sucked so much in KH1 :|

Jacobi

Banned
DemDereNads said:
PSP & DS versions are ridiculously impressive graphics wise.
OK, the PSP one looks good, but... the DS one? It looks horrible! Even for PSX standards. They really should've gone with a different style, maybe more cartoony.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I just want to drop some random fanboy knowledge gleaned from the scans.

Birth by Sleep is set only a few years before KHI.

It has been in development the longest of the three games and will come out the last.

Nomura wants you to be able to choose any character first but is still working out the kinks with the story planner.

Two of the three main characters are Terra (the Keyblade wielder) and Vent (Roxas). Nomura says the main characters are named after elements, and Terra and Vent are obviously Earth and Wind, so maybe the blue-haired girl will be Aqua or something.

Nomura does not deny the mystery boss in KHIIFM+ is Terra.

BbS has a very serious story and Mickey's costume is designed to reflect that.

You will find out why Xehanort resembles Ansem so much.

Nomura says disregard the battle menus because he has redesigned them since the publicity photos were finalized. Apparently they were too much like Re:CoM's.

The enemies are not Heartless nor Nobody because they don't exist yet in the timeline.

The game is built on the knowhow of CoM, Re:CoM, and Subarashiki Kono Sekai.

358/2 Days explains how Roxas left Organization XIII. A 14th member, a girl, is introduced, who looks a lot like Namine but is not Namine. Apparently the reason it never became Organization XIV is covered.

You control Roxas in the one-player mode. It's a mission-based game. Other members of Organization XIII are selectable by your friends and are based on Roxas's strength and level in the one-player mode.

You will travel to other worlds in 358/2 Days but they won't be freely selectable.

It sounds kind of crappy.

Coded is set after KHII and basically consists of Jiminy running his notes through a computer simulation to see what the fuck happens, so they have an excuse for a fantasy non-canonical All Stars game that "feels like an amusement park". You don't play Sora but a virtual Sora.

Despite what shots look like, the characters are all prerendered 2-D. It did not look so hot in motion at TGS. 358/2 Days looked a lot better.

Is lower-tech than Agito because it has to come out in foreign markets too. However, it's still too powerful for current phones.

Is still a ways off, "but not two or three years off", says Tetsu. So where does that put Agito and BbS, which is supposed to come out the last of all these?

Since none of the three games continues the story of Sora, none are a conclusion to Kingdom Hearts and the main plot will continue in "a different Kingdom Hearts".

Yeah. Feel it! Bring me the BbS and maybe358/2 Days, the cellphone game I could not care less about at this point.

Edit: Is it just me, or is Nomura's "new character strongly resembles old character and this hints at a deep storyline connection" schtick getting old? :lol

Ramenman

Hmm is the DS a little of a rehash ?

I'm playing the first KH right now and the Wonderland looks the same.

Or is it just multi?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Ramenman said:
Hmm is the DS a little of a rehash ?

I'm playing the first KH right now and the Wonderland looks the same.

Or is it just multi?

There's no question there is intense texture recycling from KHI and II in both 358/2 Days and Coded. I'm pretty sure the sprites for Coded are just rendered off their PS2 models, and all the character FMV (for all three games) at TGS was clearly rendered off the KHII ingame cinematics engine.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Tabata back on cell phones! Not surprising. I'm not sure if they just keep pushing him back on it, he's the only one who knows how to make cell games in S-E, or he feels most at home on the platform....or a combination of the three.

I kind of wished he was doing 358/2.

Zoe

Aokage said:
It has been in development the longest of the three games and will come out the last.

Nooooooooooo

Sounds like BbS is the most important one to get story-wise.

strife2k

I hate the deck system i hope it doesnt turn out like the GBA version, why did they have to mess with the battle system, the way it was on Kh2 is perfect.

duckroll

I just woke up. It's raining really heavily here. I had a dream that I was trying to play the new KH games, but Nomura and the S-E reps would only allow everyone in the focus groups to play the cellphone version. But it wasn't KH Coded, it was another unannounced game called KH Before that featured the BbS characters but with horrible cellphone 3D graphics.

Discuss...

Eteric Rice

strife2k said:
I hate the deck system i hope it doesnt turn out like the GBA version, why did they have to mess with the battle system, the way it was on Kh2 is perfect.

Oh God no.

I vote for a new battle system, please.

Zeed

Banned
duckroll said:
I just woke up. It's raining really heavily here. I had a dream that I was trying to play the new KH games, but Nomura and the S-E reps would only allow everyone in the focus groups to play the cellphone version. But it wasn't KH Coded, it was another unannounced game called KH Before that featured the BbS characters but with horrible cellphone 3D graphics.

Discuss...
Lay off the hootch, IMO.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After playing/seeing what Square can do with the PSP, i.e. Final Fantasy: Crisis Core, I am definitely buying birth by sleep KH. I hope Terra can put on that awesome knight armor in the game. And as for that DS game, it should have been 2D with the card system.

Top Bottom