• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (big pics)

Redbeard

Banned
New preview at IGN, along with new media.

kingdom-under-fire-the-crusaders-20040618060031064.jpg
kingdom-under-fire-the-crusaders-20040618060029283.jpg
kingdom-under-fire-the-crusaders-20040618060027830.jpg
kingdom-under-fire-the-crusaders-20040618060026345.jpg
kingdom-under-fire-the-crusaders-20040618060023017.jpg

Lots of great art here, and new movies here.

While using your might and awesome special attacks will be a key to victory, there's a lot more to KUF than merely hacking and slashing through a field of orcs. If you want to survive this holy war, you'll need to use wits (so you may be in trouble, dude). There are 30 different types of units -- numerous troops and creatures to command -- and you'll be responsible for constructing your army. Success in the field will earn your hero and troops experience to increase various stats, but will also help curry the favor of feudal lords who may offer resources to aid your cause. Set up a frontline of orc fodder and keep your aerial beasts in check for later in the fight, when the enemy is too deeply engaged to retreat. Bring the second half of your army from another direction to flank your enemy and give basic commands to your troops to maintain order and proceed towards victory.

As you can see from the movies, there is a busload of enemies and allies on screen at once. In fact, there will often be more than 100 characters on screen at once, in near non-stop action. But before the action begins, you can continually train your troops to improve their performance on the field and see which units work best for particular missions. Knowing your own troops' attributes won't be enough, however, as you'll need to take into account the affects of terrain, sunlight (get your enemies fighting into the sun to earn the advantage), soil resistance, and six different weather types. Plus realtime day-to-night cycles enable epic battles to go from dusk to dawn. It is going to own.

Now if you are one of those people who likes short games, you may want to walk away. If you're a normal person, you'll be happy to know that Kingdom Under Fire sports more than 100 missions across 60 maps (and remember, you have four characters to choose from, each with unique mission variants, storylines and cutscenes) and will tout Xbox Live play. Expect head-to-head and Team Deathmatch battles online along with downloadable characters, weapons, armor, missions, and realtime scoreboards.

Team Deathmatch is gonna be sweet!

Koei's got serious competition!

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm reluctant to get hyped for a game that's been nearly canceled so many times. There must be a reason why it was...

Meier

This game was one of the primary reasons I got an Xbox.. hopefully it turns out to have been worth my anticipation. I cant help but feel a bit guarded a la Bobster though.

Part of the problem lies with Phantagram and NC Soft's financial dealings. I believe that KUF:TC will be quite cool and I doubt that MS would've chosen to publish this if the game was crap.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
MS changed thier policy in January and will try to release only above average stuff,they also publish Outrun 2 in USA,i have hopes for this one.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Bog said:
I'm reluctant to get hyped for a game that's been nearly canceled so many times. There must be a reason why it was...

Mainly because the developer couldn't afford to develop it, as opposed to there being too much wrong with the game. It's pretty neat.

Drek

All the problems KUF had before (no reliable publisher, no money, etc.) should all be taken care of now that it's under MS' wing. So now the only question is if Phantagram can make it into a great game.

Top Bottom