• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Glad camera adjust is being removed, I don't mind the closeness, but I hated the fact that the camera seemed to really love starring at the floor instead of whats in front of me.

This was my issue. Such a beautiful world but I can hardly see it unless I stop and adjust the camera.

Nista

It's going to be a long wait, unless someone notifies Evilore (if he'd even approve it before the usual mass approval of juniors, though), probably, but it's cool to know.

We just have to warn Curt not to wander over into OT, cause he might end up getting the account banned before the week is up. Grey names everywhere.

This was my issue. Such a beautiful world but I can hardly see it unless I stop and adjust the camera.

I blame the devs for making the ceilings and skyboxes so darn pretty that I forget that there's a bunch of monsters waiting to be slain! :)

Carm

So, after someone mentioned their playtime earlier, I decided to look at mine on Steam. Apparently I've spent 8 hours playing a damn demo heh, no idling on the pc version. I probably had 4 hours ,45 mins of that idling, on the 360 version.

It's good to see that the camera may be fixed, but I am a little concerned, unless I'm misunderstanding, about the camera no longer auto following. I don't want it to be the other extreme, where I have to constantly readjust the camera while running around. Unfortunately I haven't seen them comment on the lock on system. It's not completely broken but it needs improved.

Either way though, I already planned on preordering the Steam version, depending on DRM, once the camera issue corrected. Gonna take a leap of faith on the lock on system/draw distance being changed later. I really do want the studio/game to be a success.

I know in one of their faqs, it seems to say there won't be any other DRM on the Steam version, but I may have to post over there to get clear confirmation on zero DRM besides requiring Steam.

Wallach

So, after someone mentioned their playtime earlier, I decided to look at mine on Steam. Apparently I've spent 8 hours playing a damn demo heh, no idling on the pc version. I probably had 4 hours 45 mins of idling on the 360 version.

It's good to see that the camera may be fixed, but I am a little concerned, unless I'm misunderstanding, about the camera no longer auto following. I don't want it to be the other extreme, where I have to constantly readjust the camera while running around. Unfortunately I haven't seen them comment on the lock on system. It's not completely broken but it needs improved.

Either way though, I already planned on preordering the Steam version, depending on DRM, once the camera issue corrected. Gonna take a leap of faith on the lock on system/draw distance being changed later. I really do want the studio/game to be a success.

I know in one of their faqs, it seems to say there won't be any other DRM on the Steam version, but I may have to post over there to get clear confirmation on zero DRM besides requiring Steam.

Camera auto-follow is just being added as a setting in the options. I think the guy mentioned being able to adjust how quickly it resumed auto-tracking in time increments, down to zero (fully off). So it isn't a mandated change.

Elev8ion

Neo Member
I have to say this team is at another level. I mean the Schiller is even trying to get involved here to reply to us.

Just placed the pre-orders at Amazon and TRU.

Curt and fellow 38 Studio staffers: thanks for considering us, your core audience, it means a lot.

(On a side note Mr. Schilling thank you for eliminating/beating the Yankees multiple times in your career and thank you for being a total badass politically and socially)

Nelo Ice

Banned
I must say loved the demo and I really wish I could support 38 studios on day 1 but alas I want the steam version for the steamworks features and there's no discounts to be had there until they have a sale.

Also Mr. Schilling u are doing an amazing job on the game and if anything I'm spreading the word about Amalur, been hyped about this game ever since I saw gameplay and watched some walkthroughs with commentary.

Carm

Camera auto-follow is just being added as a setting in the options. I think the guy mentioned being able to adjust how quickly it resumed auto-tracking in time increments, down to zero (fully off). So it isn't a mandated change.

That's good to hear, so that leaves only the draw distance/pop-in and lock on systems as issues. I would think the draw distance/pop-in, at least on the pc version could be easily fixed on their end eventually. The lock on system really just needs a little more tender loving care to make it great.

One thing I didn't mention earlier, which I would like changed, but it's not a massive issue, is the detect hidden skill. I didn't mess with it till my last play through. I really liked discovering rubbles because of the rumble on the controller. The one change I'd like though, is I wish they didn't show up on the mini map by default, just have them activate in the world to discover. Maybe either a toggle under preferences to hide on the mini map, or even something like an npc selling a map to activate them on the minimap.

I noticed I tended to look at the mini map a bit to much after they started showing up on it, instead of watching where I was going.

Hot damn. Bout time someone bothered to make a 3rd person action title for PC that felt like God of War. Plus an open world? Take my damn money!!!

This game looks much better on my PC than it does on my PS3, but I noticed a little slow down every now and then.

I'm grabbing this.

(Kinda wish that Conan game that came out a few years ago on the PS3/360 had made it's way to the PC. Would have looked great)

ReaperXL7

If no one else does I will in the morning. As for my flass I'm going to probably go straight 50/50 might fineese more than likely so the blademaster destiny. I really like a lot of the stuff in all three trees but I can see some serious death dealing from that combo.I also love the armor designs for theM/F destiny cards.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If no one else does I will in the morning. As for my flass I'm going to probably go straight 50/50 might fineese more than likely so the blademaster destiny. I really like a lot of the stuff in all three trees but I can see some serious death dealing from that combo.I also love the armor designs for theM/F destiny cards.

Yeah, they got a kinda dealer of death look to them. I really like the jack of all trade armor at the end. Plus the whole idea of you being just about maxed out in every skill is just so rewarding sounding. You just don't get any "broken" extra perk. But I guess being able to do everything at once counts as that XD
441px-412017_327733167248250_136188433069392_1085247_377588076_o.jpg

Bonuses:

+20% of Melee Attack Damage
+20% of Ranged Attack Damage
+20% Magic Attack Damage
Equip requirements reduced by half
+3 to all skills
+12% total damage resistance
+10% to Chance to Critical Hit
Mastery of Arms: Unlocks all weapon mastery abilities.

rdrr gnr

Did anyone PM evillore yet? I really wanna read what comes from this =-->

http://forums.reckoning.amalur.com/...ehind-the-scenes&p=51575&viewfull=1#post51575

On topic of the game, what "class" is everyone hoping to aim for and why? I already said what I wanted to about a dozen times now XD

Haha, that discussion is gold. Who is the GAFfer in that thread? I love how they warn him to not pull a Dennis Dyack.

I'm pretty sure he'd get a few thousand sales just from posting in the MLB thread and even more by showing good faith and involvement here. I'm still unsure about my purchase and who better to convince me.

Xevren

Is there somewhere you guys are seeing what you get for destinies? I keep seeing you all talk about it, has me curious what you get for them. Still unsure of what I want to roll come release, thinking mainly sorcery...Can't wait for the release though, loved the demo.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is there somewhere you guys are seeing what you get for destinies? I keep seeing you all talk about it, has me curious what you get for them. Still unsure of what I want to roll come release, thinking mainly sorcery...Can't wait for the release though, loved the demo.

They have it in game, you can actually look at all the cards when you select your class.

but here is an online list dude :D

http://amalur.wikia.com/wiki/Destinies

This right here sounds like the easy mode of the game though. *warlord*

Bonuses:

+30% Melee Attack Damage
+20% Block Efficacy
+20% Stun Duration
20% Chance to Stun
Last Stand - Automatically resurrect with 20% Health. Health drains until an enemy is killed.

ReaperXL7

Ok well I shot evilore a pm so now we just have to wait and see if anything happens. Don't know if anything will come of it but it would be great to have curt around for the OT.

Finished playing the demo for probably the 5th time, and I love it. Definitely going to go full mage when I get the game.

Also it's cool that 38 Studios is located in RI. Nice to have such a passionate studio here in my home state!

Hawk269

Curt,

If you are reading this, thanks for making a cool game! Even though I only played the demo, I did enjoy what I played. As a Console and PC gamer, I am going with the PC version of the game since I can run it at a higher frame rate and true 1080p. As a PC gamer as well though, I hope you and your team are going to give PC gamers more flexibility with graphics options that are traditionally available on the majority of PC games.

I am also praying that the LOD/Texture Pop-in that is very evident in the PC demo/console demo's is improved on for at least the PC version of the game. I understand the limitations of consoles which may prevent this, but if we as PC gamers have the hardware to improve the LOD/Texture pop-in, I hope the team put the fix in.

The last thing I want to say to you is that if I had the means I would be doing what you are doing. You are running a studio in the way I would and that is taking the gamers opinion and feedback and actually communicating with us. The only other dev team that takes the user base serious is CDProjekt (Witcher & Witcher 2 fame). Those guys, really care about the communitity and it appears you and your team beleive in teh same approach. One of the main reasons I support CF Projekt is their increadible way in how involved they are with the community and that is why I am supporting your team because of the same way you guys are handling yourselves.

ReaperXL7

Quick question if anyone has the knowledge to help. I would like to make destiny card avatars for the ot, but I lack photoshop and the skills with it to make this happen on my own. Anyone interested in helping out with this?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I'll go with this build at first. I know it's lacking originality but I prefer mages. The cool thing is, if I get bored I can always respec.

This is my jack of all trades build.

Sure you don't get some of those *peak* skills but.... ummm yeah. You are a fucking monster. Keep in mind you get a passive plus 3 to all skills.

Quick question if anyone has the knowledge to help. I would like to make destiny card avatars for the ot, but I lack photoshop and the skills with it to make this happen on my own. Anyone interested in helping out with this?
D: I have no photoshop exp, but I'd like to have the universalist one if this does come to pass :D

Syrionus

Neo Member
Mr. Schilling,

Loved you in Baseball, love your involvement with the game and love your attitude towards pretty much everything but I am not going to kiss your
butt. In case it escapes anyone, that was my poor attempt at humor.
I will however, play the living crap out of your game. Purchased 3 copies (PC-Mine; 360-GF; PS3; Friend). Also, I know of the MMO but the next KOA:R should absolutely have some type of co-op.

Xater

Yeah would be nice if Curt gets approved. I always like it when a dev actually comes in and discusses with us.

Anyway, the closer the release of this game is the more I think I will day 1 it. The demo was just so much fun for me. It really hit harder for me than Skyrim did, even just this small part of the game. I know they are also doing the Amalur MMO, but hopefully the MMO will not be the only focus in the future. I would love them to continue this as an SP RPG series as well.

ReaperXL7

Yeah would be nice if Curt gets approved. I always like it when a dev actually comes in and discusses with us.

Anyway, the closer the release of this game is the more I think I will day 1 it. The demo was just so much fun for me. It really hit harder for me than Skyrim did, even just this small part of the game. I know they are also doing the Amalur MMO, but hopefully the MMO will not be the only focus in the future. I would love them to continue this as an SP RPG series as well.

It wont :) Big Huge Games will need something else to keep them busy once reckoning is wrapped up. They already plan on making Reckoning 2 as long as they are able. Also other genres, like RTS, etc.

Lain

If it's true that a Reckoning 2 is already a lock (read something like that a few pages back I think), then I don't think we have too much to worry.
Though I'm just as interested in the MMO as I am in a sequel: I'd love to see what they'll bring in the MMO genre based on what they've done so far (just judging by the demo) with this game.

Xater

If it's true that a Reckoning 2 is already a lock (read something like that a few pages back I think), then I don't think we have too much to worry.
Though I'm just as interested in the MMO as I am in a sequel: I'd love to see what they'll bring in the MMO genre based on what they've done so far (just judging by the demo) with this game.

I am not opposed to MMOs but I am just not a PC gamer. If it comes to consoles then my thinking might be different. ;)

smr00

Banned
I was surprised with it, it had this like SP WOW vibe to it which i REALLY liked and i really liked the combat, maybe this will get the nasty taste of dragon age 2 out of my mouth.

Naeblish

The blademaster destiny sounds pretty awesome:
Cut Throat - +15% Physical Damage, +1% Chance to Steal Health, and Gold Drops as 20% of Damage for 5 seconds when striking fallen enemies.
It's to bad that it requires 55 points in finesse/might, which means you won't be able to get the top tier finesse ability gambit.

In comparison, the finesse destiny sounds kinda boring:
Assassination - +20% Damage vs. Human-sized or smaller Enemies

ElyrionX

This is my jack of all trades build.

Sure you don't get some of those *peak* skills but.... ummm yeah. You are a fucking monster. Keep in mind you get a passive plus 3 to all skills.

D: I have no photoshop exp, but I'd like to have the universalist one if this does come to pass :D

+3 to skills doesn't sound that useful though. Keep in mind, it's skills (ie. Sagecraft, etc) and not abilities.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
+3 to skills doesn't sound that useful though. Keep in mind, it's skills (ie. Sagecraft, etc) and not abilities.

Wait really? That's even better then. You can max out all your skills in this game. This must be waht Ken ment by "being able to max out 6 skills through creative use" Well besides some other things Im sure you can do.

It wont :) Big Huge Games will need something else to keep them busy once reckoning is wrapped up. They already plan on making Reckoning 2 as long as they are able. Also other genres, like RTS, etc.

We don't even have Reckoning 1 yet and I'm already looking forward to what Reckoning 2 will be like given all their experience and lessons learned from doing the first. Could definitely be an Uncharted 2-esque jump in quality. With experience comes great confidence. Now we just need them to get the sales to justify it. I intend to do my part.

syllogism

Everything in this game seems so derivative and that combined with the visual style is quite off putting. To be specific, it just looks like an even more consolized and light weight elder's scrolls game at least stylistically and in terms of character development and itemization. It's an open world rpg so I'll give it a chance, but the actual content has to be pretty amazing to make up for the first impression.

Top Bottom