• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur demo impressions thread [Up On 360/Origin/Steam/U.S. PSN]

Everything in this game seems so derivative and that combined with the visual style is quite off putting. To be specific, it just looks like an even more consolized and light weight elder's scrolls game at least stylistically and in terms of character development and itemization. It's an open world rpg so I'll give it a chance, but the actual content has to be pretty amazing to make up for the first impression.

I don't see it. Maybe because it isn't true.

Maffis

So what is changing about the camera? Is it going to be able to be locked behind you most of the time like... ahem, some MMOs?

I think I read somewhere on their twitter that they mean to add an option to remove the camera "auto-following" like it does now. They also said, however, that allowing longer "zoom" might not work, because of technical difficulties.

scy

Which part isn't true exactly? It's definitely a very light weight RPG and doesn't have a distinct style of it's own

The combat alone makes me question this, really.

Which, speaking of, I'm curious on the math of it all so I may sit down over the weekend to work on that. In ... 45 minute intervals :|

chifanpoe

and doesn't have a distinct style of it's own

Because there are some many Open World WRPG out right now with Dynamic Combat, right?

Why re-invent the wheel, the GFX are similar to WoW and even Fable to some extent. It works and many people find it attractive.

We all have our own opinions, mine just happens to fall into the category of loving the style of this game and the play mechanics. Hopefully I will also love the story, the world, and the characters as well.

Either way they have my money day 1, and from the looks of this thread alone many others as well.

Gunsmithx

quick question, for the Sorc based destines, does the increase in elemental dmg also include dmg from elemental effects on weapons or just spells?

Why re-invent the wheel, the GFX are similar to WoW and even Fable to some extent. It works and many people find it attractive.

And to some it's a huge turn-off. If it wasn't for the open-world and deceptively deep combat, I wouldn't look twice at this game because the art style is so painfully derivative. I hope that changes the further you delve into the game, because for me a uniquely designed, varied and intriguing world that I'm compelled to explore is such a hugely important part of what draws me into an RPG.

moop1167

That boss after getting the quest from House of Ballads... awesome. Yeah, combat definitely isn't simple. I actually was caught off guard and was fumbling with my m/kb the whole time. Not until I went into Reckoning mode did I start winning the fight.

JambiBum

Too bad I've just had all sorts of technical issues with the demo. At first it was the sound cutting out of cutscenes and some fights. Then it was the cutscenes just going by so quickly that I didn't know what was going on. Now I've had the demo freeze on me in two different instances. I was finally able to explore only for it to lock up like ten minutes in. Makes me sad.

ElyrionX

Everything in this game seems so derivative and that combined with the visual style is quite off putting. To be specific, it just looks like an even more consolized and light weight elder's scrolls game at least stylistically and in terms of character development and itemization. It's an open world rpg so I'll give it a chance, but the actual content has to be pretty amazing to make up for the first impression.

Elder Scrolls? How does this come anywhere close to resembling Skyrim "stylistically"?

ElyrionX

Also, how does this even feel derivative of Elder Scrolls in terms of itemization? The demo alone had far more loot variety than the whole of Oblivion and Skyrim combined.

Orgun

Played up to the point where you get told there is now a 45 minute time limit. I was enjoying the demo but I hate time limits! Makes me panic :) Just let me get to a certain point and stop me.

I'll probably get this once it's on sale, was fun.

Xilium

And to some it's a huge turn-off. If it wasn't for the open-world and deceptively deep combat, I wouldn't look twice at this game because the art style is so painfully derivative. I hope that changes the further you delve into the game, because for me a uniquely designed, varied and intriguing world that I'm compelled to explore is such a hugely important part of what draws me into an RPG.
Going by the complaints in this thread about the art style for this game being old and repetitive because WOW and Fable had similar styles, you people should be fed up with the look of just about every other WRPG which all look like they are straight out of a Tolkien fantasy novel/eastern Europe (Oblivion/Skyrim, Witcher/2, Gothic Series, Two Worlds/2, ect.).

syllogism

Elder Scrolls? How does this come anywhere close to resembling Skyrim "stylistically"?
When I said style, I didn't mean visual style but more game mechanics and genre. A fairly poor choice of words. Of course combat has more depth to it than most open world rpgs, but other than that it doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly well. I admit I didn't make it far into the demo, but despite being an open world game it feels very limited as you for instance can't jump down cliffs (?). It doesn't feel immersive at all and the world, the story and the dialogue are unlikely going to help matters. Still, if the world is large enough and the optional content is interesting it might be able to overcome those issues.

syllogism

Going by the complaints in this thread about the art style for this game being old and repetitive because WOW and Fable had similar styles, you people should be fed up with the look of just about every other WRPG which all look like they are straight out of a Tolkien fantasy novel/eastern Europe (Oblivion/Skyrim, Witcher/2, Gothic Series, Two Worlds/2, ect.).
It's not derivative when you go for a realism, as those games generally do. I don't like the way Fable and WoW look at all either

Yeah, I am fed up with the sheer lack of distinctive art-styles in modern RPGs, it's just that the bright and colourful WoW meets Fable fantasy land style does so little for me, it's really off-putting. Skyrim nailed that windswept, isolated wilderness look that set it slightly apart from it's competitors, but ultimately it just wasn't varied enough, while Demon's Souls hit all the right notes for me with it's dark pulp-fantasy, medieval Europe inspired art-style. But beyond those two titles, I'm struggling to think of an RPG with an original art-style that wowed me to the degree that Morrowind did over a decade ago.

And to some it's a huge turn-off. If it wasn't for the open-world and deceptively deep combat, I wouldn't look twice at this game because the art style is so painfully derivative.

I'll chalk this up to something that simply doesn't make any sense to me. I've never been turned off by a game because of how it looked. Some of the best looking games I've ever played where the worst I've ever played, and some of the worst or simple looking games are the best. To look at a game and be turned off by the art style is so odd. I can see if it animates terribly or controls poorly, but the look? Yeesh.

Xilium

It's not derivative when you go for a realism, as those games generally do. I don't like the way Fable and WoW look at all either

Since when? I can see that having some truth between different console generations but just because a game is going for a realistic style, doesn't make it immune to looking like any other game going for the same style (it also doesn't help that the setting is usually something vaguely eastern European, as I was saying earlier). The backlash against WW2 shooters and the rising indifference towards modern shooters should be all the proof you need of this. Smaller budget WRPGs don't get as much attention though (Bioware and Bethesda are the only WRPG developers as far as many people are concerned) so we have yet to reach that saturation point apparently.

Yeah, I am fed up with the sheer lack of distinctive art-styles in modern RPGs, it's just that the bright and colourful WoW meets Fable fantasy land style does so little for me, it's really off-putting. Skyrim nailed that windswept, isolated wilderness look that set it slightly apart from it's competitors, but ultimately it just wasn't varied enough, while Demon's Souls hit all the right notes for me with it's dark pulp-fantasy, medieval Europe inspired art-style. But beyond those two titles, I'm struggling to think of an RPG with an original art-style that wowed me to the degree that Morrowind did over a decade ago.
At least you're consistent, unlike some others.

There have been a lot of posts complaining about the lack of the ability to jump in KoAR.

Someone please explain to me the benefits of jumping in an RPG?
How many RPG's have a jump mechanic to where its compelling and necessary to the gameplay?

There have been a lot of posts complaining about the lack of the ability to jump in KoAR.

How many RPG's have a jump mechanic to where its compelling and necessary to the gameplay?

Well, the one obvious benefit would be the ability to leap over a tiny one foot barrier to get to the other side. But clearly that's not how the Big Huge Engine was built, thus we're forced to run around areas that in other games you'd simply traverse by jumping. It's not a huge deal, but it's obvious why they did it (their engine).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'll chalk this up to something that simply doesn't make any sense to me. I've never been turned off by a game because of how it looked. Some of the best looking games I've ever played where the worst I've ever played, and some of the worst or simple looking games are the best. To look at a game and be turned off by the art style is so odd. I can see if it animates terribly or controls poorly, but the look? Yeesh.

It's not really hard to grasp, man. It's a video game. The visuals are at least a good 1/3 of the equation (comprised of art style, technical realization of that style, color palette and assorted other pieces).

Some of you are devolving the conversation about the game into a fanboy-esque attack on any comment perceived as negative. Learn to handle dissenting opinions, guys.

In an open-world RPG you are going to be spending maybe hundreds and hundreds of hours in the game world, and so for me that game world needs to hit the right notes visually (and not technically bear in mind, I don't care about low-res textures and shoddy animations as long as the world and gameplay mechanics are well designed). I want a game world that compels me to explore it, but there's nothing that kills that compulsion faster than if the art-style is uninspired. There's only so far that gameplay and story can carry an RPG, especially when modern RPGs seem all too content to skimp on an engaging story and unique characters, so without a unique and compelling world to explore, my interest quickly dies.

Two Worlds II is the perfect example. It looked great, it played well, there was a lot to explore and loads of quests to do, plus the loot was pretty expansive. However, the style was very generic and I found my interest dwindling about 2/3rds of the way in, not through any fault of the gameplay, but rather because I didn't feel compelled to explore the environment beyond where the quests directed me.

syllogism

Even if the world isn't designed for jumping, having more freedom just adds to immersion; there will be fewer invisible barriers when you can climb over obstacles and take shortcuts. The illusion of freedom is generally essential for games of this type.

moop1167

One thing that kind of bothered me last night about combat... when your enemy is on a higher elevation than you, your attacks (at least with a staff) hit the ground rather than the enemy unless you are really close to them.

In an open-world RPG you are going to be spending maybe hundreds and hundreds of hours in the game world, and so for me that game world needs to hit the right notes visually (and not technically bear in mind, I don't care about low-res textures and shoddy animations as long as the world and gameplay mechanics are well designed).

That's where we differ. If the game is compelling and entertaining, I'll ignore the visuals. The first thing I look at in a game is how it controls and "feels", not how it looks. I get that to some people the look is as important as other major components of the game, but to me they're not, which probably explains why I don't mind being a console gamer. I'm not a fan of Skyrim's look, but it didn't hinder me whatsoever in enjoying it (ditto for Zelda, which I think is god-awful ugly).

I may in fact be the lowest common denominator. =)

It's not really hard to grasp, man. It's a video game. The visuals are at least a good 1/3 of the equation

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but visuals are near the bottom of what I care about unless they're hindering gameplay (framerate, muddy and unclear etc). I feel bad for anyone that misses out on great games simply because they can't get past the look of it. But then again there's enough great games released every year that missing out on one doesn't mean you'll go empty-handed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but visuals are near the bottom of what I care about unless they're hindering gameplay (framerate, muddy and unclear etc). I feel bad for anyone that misses out on great games simply because they can't get past the look of it. But then again there's enough great games released every year that missing out on one doesn't mean you'll go empty-handed.

And I'm sure people "feel bad" that you don't like whatever game they happen to enjoy for whatever reason.

Dude Abides

Banned

It's kind of odd not to have a jump function in a game that is attempting to use action combat to distinguish itself from other RPGs.

Rad Agast

This is my jack of all trades build.

Sure you don't get some of those *peak* skills but.... ummm yeah. You are a fucking monster. Keep in mind you get a passive plus 3 to all skills.

Yeah, that perk/bonus and the "master of arms" one pretty much makes the Universalist worth it. You lose out on AoE damaging skills but make up for it with the number of skills and options being available to you. Unless you're playing on KB/M, managing and switching skills will be a chore I think (based on the UI options available in the demo).

It would be nice if they release a patch later allowing for quicker skill/weapon switching (some kind of weapon and skill template cycling hotkey? I don't know).

It's kind of odd not to have a jump function in a game that is attempting to use action combat to distinguish itself from other RPGs.

How so? Explain to me how jumping would make the combat better?

Do the Dark/Demon souls games or the Witcher games feature jumping?

Other than the Bethesda RPG's what other RPG's allow or feature jumping?

Xilium

Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind, traversing the environment.

I don't think you ever HAVE to jump in those games. I mentioned it earlier in this topic but the only truly meaningful things that jumping added to those games were unintended (jumping on top of rocks and other unreachable areas to cheap-shot enemies and glitch jumping over mountains).

Not saying I would be mad if there were jumping in KoA (aerial combos would be cool), just that it isn't that big a deal that it isn't there. The invisible walls on water edges is a bit more annoying though.

H3xum

I love this game, I've played the demo 5 times now

However, my biggest complaint, cameras aside

The inventory is AWFUL. I have a new item? Awesome, can I have the ability to have them at the top of a list please so I don't have to scroll down and never see the star next to the item? My alternative is to go into my inventory after I receive ANY item to keep track of that.

It really, REALLY kills a lot for me.

I don't think you ever HAVE to jump in those games. I mentioned it earlier in this topic but the only truly meaningful things that jumping added to those games were unintended (jumping on top of rocks and other unreachable areas to cheap-shot enemies and glitch jumping over mountains).

Not saying I would be mad if there were jumping in KoA (aerial combos would be cool), just that it isn't that big a deal that it isn't there. The invisible walls on water edges is a bit more annoying though.

Defense of this game is really getting out there.

Jumping in Elder Scrolls games is pretty important. It levels up a skill in Oblivion and Morrowind. It's common to find yourself in a spot where jumping will allow you to get to where you want to go more quickly, or to a spot you normally would have not even found if you didn't jump to get there.

Jumping in Elder Scrolls games is pretty important. It levels up a skill in Oblivion and Morrowind. It's common to find yourself in a spot where jumping will allow you to get to where you want to go more quickly, or to a spot you normally would have not even found if you didn't jump to get there.

Wear a heavy armor... and then JUMP!

jk

mjc

How so? Explain to me how jumping would make the combat better?

Do the Dark/Demon souls games or the Witcher games feature jumping?

Other than the Bethesda RPG's what other RPG's allow or feature jumping?

You're fighting a losing battle. These guys firmly believe that jumping is intrinsic to gameplay. Don't ask me how, but it is.

ironcreed

Banned
I really hope this does well. I think perhaps not a huge start but word of mouth once it's out could do it wonders.

Yes indeed. Look what happened to the likes of Demon's Souls and it gained popularity from people importing it. Make a great game and people will talk. The rest will take care of itself, and before you know it, you have a hit on your hands. Add in the ambition and dedication that is so clearly driving this thing, and I see it only gaining steam and being a solid long term seller as momentum builds.

gehrig38

Holy crap.
1) I had NO idea this forum existed, and I am and have been on the internet, and a gamer, for a pretty long time.
2) I've read every single post in this thread since taking off last night from Boston to get to LA. (LA Times, G4 and Kimmel today for the Reckoning launch, Kimmel skit, I think, is hilarious).

I founded 38 Studios over 5 years ago and as much as I'd like to tell you guys this thread is cool, it's way way more than that. That you guys have created this much traffic since our demo is flat out stunning, incredible.

Ya I wish there'd been 52 pages of SOLD!! Day 1 buy here! I totally get it.

Let me start by apologizing. The demo? Ya, it is way way WAYYYYY more buggy than anything ANYONE should ever release, much less a demo.

A demo is supposed to be a DEMONSTRATION of the game. In some ways, for you without buggy demos, it sort of is, but it's just impossible to convey the depth of breadth of a game that has anywhere from 40-50 hours (main quest line play) to 2-300 hours (for completionist) in it at launch. It's like saying you hate baseball after the 1st pitch in the top of the 1st inning.

That was EXACTLY why we argued EA in favor of not having the demo. It's also exactly why I was wrong, and EA was right. Yes there are people that were on the fence who now will not buy it, there were people who weren't buying it anyway, who still aren't, but the massive awareness and the insane amount of 'had no idea about this game, now it's a day 1 buy" and "Was on the fence but am now sold" posts mean EA hit this one perfectly in INTENT.

The demo has been a God send, especially when I realize even in this thread, how many people became aware because of the demo.

In a partnership there is a lot of give and take, and I believe in my team, they are world class, but when you have a publisher there are things happening you'd rather not choose. Shipping old code out 3 months prior to gold master to a 3rd party with no stake in the demo success can be problematic. I am sure they made the best demo they could but as a studio packed to the gills with gamers, we refuse to believe code has to be unplayably buggy at launch, it doesn't.

So to those that have had a horrid demo experience, I'm sorry, it's on us, our name is the name on the box we care about.

I promise you, my word, that demo from a bug perspective is in NO WAY representative of the final code or product.

That is not going to change your demo experience, that is likely not going to make you buy it if you decided against it, but you spent your time (which is every bit as valuable to us as your money) playing something we made, and we owe you that much.

Couple things about me up front. I have thick skin. 10 years in Philly and the last 7 in Boston, I'm a big boy, I've heard most everything. I have a 12 year old son with Autism, the word retard offends me, deeply. I'm married to an insanely beautiful woman (so far over my ski's it's embarrassing) and have 3 other kids, 16, 14 and 9. The boys (3 of them) are gamers, oldest is a hard core gamer/athlete (like dad) and a ranked SC2 player.

I was a gamer LONG before I owned a game company, just like I was a fan long before i played in the big leagues. I so desperately WANT to post as a gamer and fan, but understand it just isn't going to happen.

For that my PR and Marketing folks have each other on speed dial, and sweat constantly...

I've lived my life being very open and very honest, and that's been as good as it has been bad. It's usually pretty easy to tell where I stand.

The thing that has changed over these past few years is that when I post in forums like this, FoH, Tribal Wars, our Reckoning forums, is that I represent over 400 people and their families, and that's a pretty huge deal.

Generally people that post the real bad stuff about me are Democrats and Yankee fans, and that's cool, I get it. But you Yankee fans, keep hating, that's cool, I understand. Please don't come here and post 'You" have 27 or 28 rings or whatever, unless your Derek Jeter because YOU have none, I have 3, I was honored to play with 3 very special groups of men and be a part of 3 World Championships, and that made some folks mad...

:)

I keed. In all seriousness this forum, this very place, like FoH and the others, is where 38 Studios becomes the next great gaming company, or not. Everything we become is literally 100% dependent on you. You'll either love our stuff and want it bad enough to buy it at full price (pre orders and week 1 sales are EVERYTHING to a company like ours) or you won't, but there will be no BS here.

We're a studio of 400 hard core gamers who want to make awesome games we want to play, for gamers. That's our secret sauce, that's the thing we MUST hold onto as long as we can. When that stops i'll likely walk away.

It's why, even though it's painful, reading the good WITH the bad is essential. If you don't listen to players you stop making games players want to play, and that sucks.

It's also why I have finally come to grips with the fact that in a forum like this one post can start "Art sucks, hate it, derivative..." to "Amazing art, the world is vibrant and alive!" and both can be right. It's 100% subjective. Even though I watched this world come alive and I have seen the personal sacrifice hundreds of people have made over hundreds of thousands of hours, some people aren't going to like it.

What I can assure you is there was and never will be one short step, or short cut, to ANYTHING we do or make. People that bought our CE and SE are going to realize that even more, as both are way beyond anything, quality wise, I've ever purchased.

Quality trumps all, saying that after the demo may sound hollow and you might call BS on me and us for it, but I promise you where we control 100% of the work we will set a bar that will be insanely challenging to meet, and continue meeting it as long as we're around.

So again, thanks for this, this thread took up my entire flight out, 6 hours and 11 minutes, but it was worth it because we're prepping for a new sort of 'Opening day" and threads like this don't pop up for games people aren't interested in. It's the same thing I told young players walking into Yankee Stadium, be good enough to get boo'd because Yankee fans are highly intelligent, they don't boo players that suck.

I'm sure we'll be chatting more, just wanted to say thanks and we hope you think Amalur is as awesome as we do.

gehrig38

One more thing, my twitter handle is gehrig38
Kev and I are filming these next few weeks of touring the country pre launch and tweeting at the same time...

Xilium

And that was removed in Skyrim because it wasn't very useful.

Khezu

It would suck if they changed the art style for the sequel, I really like the bright colorful comic booky look they got going with this. Its not for everyone, that's fine, not every game is, go play something else, I hear skyrim's pretty awesome.

If they changed it, they might make it something that I don't like, and that would be terrible.

Elev8ion

Neo Member
Just you taking the time to post here is all class.

I know most, if not all, appreciate your time and consideration to our opinions and enthusiasm Curt!

Kudos to you and to 38Studios!

Top Bottom