• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning

T-Cake

Are PC owners getting a free copy? I did previously with Titan Quest when the Anniversary game from THQ Nordic came out.

Weird how everyone's psyched and remembering it as an amazing game. It got a super lukewarm reception at launch, and was one of the most generic "of its time" kind of games I've played. The combat wasn't as painfully dull as the witcher, but it wasn't much better.

People have different tastes, for example my 2015 GOTY was Ar nosurge not Witcher 3.:messenger_frowning_

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
The marketing for this "remaster" is so shit. No idea what gameplay changes they made and I'm hardly noticing anything different visually except maybe better textures and some extra grass.

JSoup

Banned
Thank god they added very hard mode.

Depends on how hard the hard mode is, really. While I agree the original could have done with a major difficulty boost (I ran a mage and used the same cloth cap I got at the start of the game for my whole run because the bonuses on it couldn't be matched by anything else I found, for craps sake), part of the point of the game is being a force of fate, to the point that you're a monstrously overpowered asshole who can just cowboy up to any threat and blow it away by coughing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Depends on how hard the hard mode is, really. While I agree the original could have done with a major difficulty boost (I ran a mage and used the same cloth cap I got at the start of the game for my whole run because the bonuses on it couldn't be matched by anything else I found, for craps sake), part of the point of the game is being a force of fate, to the point that you're a monstrously overpowered asshole who can just cowboy up to any threat and blow it away by coughing.
I don't know dude, story reason are not an enough good excuse to create an absoloute joke cakewalk game.

In gow you use kratos, one of the strongest character in gaming history but hard and very hard kick your ass constantly.

JSoup

Banned
I don't know dude, story reason are not an enough good excuse to create an absoloute joke cakewalk game.

In gow you use kratos, one of the strongest character in gaming history but hard and very hard kick your ass constantly.

You know, that's a good narrative tool right there. Have two difficulties based on the kind of story the player wants.

Want to be that guy who's super powered by being untethered from fate, crashing around the world, both middle fingers extended so damn hard that every person you pass by gets a sharp stabbing sensation deep in their asses from just being in your divine presence? Easy difficulty for you, my friend.

Want to be that guy who's got a major leg up on everyone else, but fate says fuck that and fights back, shifting the threads that bind causality in such a way that every spider on the planet is aware of the moment you settle down on the toilet and can beeline to you in an instant for no greater reason than 'I'm fate, the fuck are you going to do about it, punch me?' Hard mode is to your left, buddy.

GymWolf

You know, that's a good narrative tool right there. Have two difficulties based on the kind of story the player wants.

Want to be that guy who's super powered by being untethered from fate, crashing around the world, both middle fingers extended so damn hard that every person you pass by gets a sharp stabbing sensation deep in their asses from just being in your divine presence? Easy difficulty for you, my friend.

Want to be that guy who's got a major leg up on everyone else, but fate says fuck that and fights back, shifting the threads that bind causality in such a way that every spider on the planet is aware of the moment you settle down on the toilet and can beeline to you in an instant for no greater reason than 'I'm fate, the fuck are you going to do about it, punch me?' Hard mode is to your left, buddy.
The problem with modern gaming is that hard and very hard are really easy and normal inmost games.

So you choose hard but you still have a cakewalk, the last offender was tsushima were hard and lethal are a complete joke after a couple of upgrades.

Gow was kinda of a white fly, especially among sony games.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Well my copy just shipped from Amazon!! They say arriving Tuesday. Maybe I'll get lucky and one of those Amazon stealth vans will drop it off tomorrow (been known to get Sunday deliveries) or Monday (doubt it will come on Labor Day.)

Just to let y'all know if you got the game in your Steam Library, you get a 60% discount on the remaster.

If you're like me and a sucker who bought it on Origin (y'know, where it was most common cuz EA was the publisher) then fuck you.

chris121580

I was watching Cohh stream this and it looks basically identical to the PC version I already have. I also saw a lot of frame rate stutters as well. Pretty disappointing from everything I saw

Armorian

Banned
qSr1GQF.png

1070 bettet than 2070, 590 better than 2080ti. Makes sense :messenger_grinning_squinting:

CitizenX

Banned
I was watching Cohh stream this and it looks basically identical to the PC version I already have. I also saw a lot of frame rate stutters as well. Pretty disappointing from everything I saw

Thats what i noticed as well, i kept saying where is the difference?

Forsythia

Well the day 1 patch has been delayed on Xbox. The early access with the Fate edition was useless. Fuck these devs. Still looking forward to play it, but with my luck it'll be released tomorrow evening, effectively delaying it 1 more day.

hollams

Gold Member
Played for about an hour and I'm enjoying it. The graphics aren't a huge upgrade but being able to play at 4K with a hud you can read is awesome. I turned everything to the max but left the super sampling off for now, I'm not sure if that is what is causing some people to have performance issues. I've noticed a slight hitch when attacking barrels and such, but not enemies, which was the case in the original game, it's noticeable but it doesn't happen on every barrel.

The biggest update for me so far is the camera controls. You can finally turn off the auto follow camera that would center behind you and then pan the camera down which I hated. Having full control of the camera and setting the distance from the character is a huge improvement.

I started on the very difficult difficulty setting but then turned it down to hard during the intro since it took too long to kill the basic enemies. The game supports controller and keyboard control at the same time which is nice since I use Rewasd to map my controls, which makes it easier for me to set up the auto run command.

Can you jump now? It's a dealbreaker. The original had these fucking annoying zones where instead of jumping down a couple of pixels you had to circle around the whole damn map.

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
I'm loving this so far.
Best part is back in the day, EA would give you gifts in games if you had other EA games on your account or completed demos. In lieu of any of that still being around, Amalur just gives you all the prizes you could have gotten then all at once and you can claim them right at the start of the game. Not game breakers, but really cool looking gear that'll make your first few levels vastly easier.

TexMex

Started this up tonight and played a couple hours. I really like it. Very cool and while it definitely looks like an older game, the great art style doesn't make it appear as dated as it is considering how little work they put into this (I've never played the original). Cool game so far.

Mossybrew

Enjoyed the original release on the 360, went ahead and picked this up since well, not much else going on this month. I'm glad I did, it's still really fun and honestly I barely remember a lot of this stuff. This WoW/Fable - like art style is my jam, and I guess they could have done more but honestly it looks good to me, runs smooth on the Pro. I think really my only complaint after playing a few hours last night is the load times going in and out of buildings.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I may get this but last gen remasters of beefy games like this scream for a Switch port for portability purposes. It sounds like they were having trouble with even the PC port so I'm guessing they didn't want to put the work in to downgrade it.

Tschumi

This game was really great but too much like WoW without the human element.. and it has an awful aspect ratio... I don't see how a remake can fix the first, somehow i doubt they'll fix the second issue.

intbal

THQ Nordic offers update on long-in-development DLC.

We are in the final production stages for the Amalur Fatesworn expansion and we'd like to give another update. Unfortunately, the whole project was more challenging than we initially anticipated as we had to rebuild the content creation pipeline from the ground up. Without these tools, we would not have been able to build new worlds, dungeons, items, and other core RPG elements. However, we are in the last stages of polishing and plan to wrap it up in the next couple of weeks.

Still no commitment to a release date. Those who bought the Fate edition more than a year ago, which includes the DLC in the purchase price, should demand interest payments.

intbal

Is this dlc going to have a stand alone option at launch? Maybe a physical complete edition later as well?

You mean will it be available for purchase separately, if you only bought the standard Re-Reckoning? If that's what you're asking, I don't have that information, but I have to believe they would make that available. Otherwise, they're throwing away a lot of sales.
Don't know the answer to question 2, either. But I seriously doubt they will release yet another physical edition of the game.

I have a question for anyone here. Maybe this is the wrong spot to ask. This game has an annoying problem with crashing. Specifically on lower powered devices. I've played this game on a GPD Win Max and a GPD Win 3 and both devices with this game crash periodically. There is a spot in the game where I can recreate this consistently. If I go to Rathir down the path on the right when looking at the map. and just go till you see grass, a couple houses and a cave. Once I get near the houses or sometimes a little passed them the game crashes with a CreatTexture2D Failed error. I'm not sure what is causing this. Some spots have said it's due to how the game loads in textures. Does anyone know of a fix or a way to get around it, I have the game at the lowest settings and it's not like the game is terrible demanding. I can run it near maxed out on my GPD otherwise with no issue until it decides to crash.

Top Bottom