• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingpin: Reloaded (2020 PS4/XONE/PC/Switch)

asfg0rk80.png

Kingpin: Reloaded
In a stylized noir art deco gangland that never was, the Kingpin rules above all else with a bloody fist. When his lieutenant Nikki Blanco leaves a no-name Thug battered and broken, the upstart criminal rises from a puddle of blood, lead pipe in hand and revenge in mind.
Kingpin: Reloaded brings new life to the Quake II engine classic. 4K resolution, ultrawide support, and improved graphics in Enhanced mode enable the beautifully-depicted metropolitan nightmare shine. Controller support makes the game more accessible for anyone who wants to explore the depths of Kingpin’s depravity. Overall improvements like new quest and conversation systems make Reloaded even better than the original.
Stalk lamp-lit streets and take down rival gangs to let the Kingpin know his end is nigh. Kingpin’s immersive sim elements allow the Thug to recruit other gangsters with a conversation system. Increase the Thug’s influence through multiple hub-based missions. Run with the gang on a violent warpath with upgradeable weapons including Tommy guns, bazookas, and more. Location-based damage leads to bloody, thrilling battles: kneecap, maim, or go for the head.
If that sounds too extreme, try No Violence mode. However, the “colorful” language proudly used by Kingpin’s gangsters remains. Lean even further into that era and start fragging in Gang Bang mode’s old-school multiplayer.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Video won’t work in my phone.....

Based off kingpin life of crime? Sweet.

that game was pretty shallow but the graphics, sound, cussing and brutality were awesome. Best quake 2 era visuals I saw.

for those of you who didn’t play it check out vids. Great setting, shit stained toilets, swearing. Really good setting.

I don’t see this game being worth $60,.... the old game was SP only I think. but if it’s bargain priced that will be good.

Doczu

It's ok? Hopefully they'll rebalance the final boss fight as that shit was waaaay too difficult for it's own good.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That's crazy. I saw this game at Babbages all the time in the late 90's. It was like one of the first boxes I saw that talked about how violent it was. I eventually got it off GOG. I think One Unit Whole Blood scratched that itch for the longest time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's crazy. I saw this game at Babbages all the time in the late 90's. It was like one of the first boxes I saw that talked about how violent it was. I eventually got it off GOG. I think One Unit Whole Blood scratched that itch for the longest time.
My bro’s and I had a blast playing this game.

it was a pretty shallow game, but still worth the $35 cdn we paid for it. I remember EB charging around $50, but got EB to price match some shady computer store who had an ad in one of those ink stained computer papers. And EB matched it. Those were the days!

Last edited:
My bro’s and I had a blast playing this game.

it was a pretty shallow game, but still worth the $35 cdn we paid for it. I remember EB charging around $50, but got EB to price match some shady computer store who had an ad in one of those ink stained computer papers. And EB matched it. Those were the days!

Ah the good ol EB price match. I cant imagine they would pull that shit nowadays. Remember when you could trade games in and get cash?

37u3g1.png

Blond

Banned
This game was basically Max Payne if it had pulp fictions script, can't wait! The only thing wrong with it was that eve
Ah the good ol EB price match. I cant imagine they would pull that shit nowadays. Remember when you could trade games in and get cash?

37u3g1.png

Old EB was one step above the shoddy chinese game stores that buy obviously stolen "new" games LOL.

Jeez they're fishing this out of the gutter.

Was always a pretty crap game but it had the novelty of characters saying fuck every other word, so there was that. =P

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Never got around to playing this one, but it always looked cool. Taking the original off my GOG wishlist, in any case.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This is a great surprise. Although, at first I thought it was a full remake. Finding out it’s just a remaster is a little disappointing. That box art looks insanely good, though.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Oh yes, I’m in.

And while im here can I just say it’s ducking TRAGIC that quake 1 and 2 were never ported to the current consoles...

V4skunk

Banned
I always though SiN was better than Kingpin.
Quake and Unreal were king in those days though. Hexen2 was also very good.

What a time the late 90s were...so many gloomy bad ass games: Max Payne, Slave Zero, Kingpin, Messiah, Soldier of fortune...

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Right after we revealed the game at PAX South earlier this year, we realized that we had to drastically change the technical approach to this game, in order for us to make sure the Reloaded version would feel as authentic as possible.

As many of you already know, the source code to Kingpin: Life of Crime, no longer exists. That left us with two options:

1. Use another engine and write interpreters to use the Kingpin: Life of Crime data. (This was the approach the picked).

2. Completely re-engineer the source code from scratch (A huge undertaking, but it would result in a much more "Accurate" port).

We went with the first approach, which was the basis of the reveal back in January.
However, we soon realized that in order to replicate many of the key aspects of Kingpin - especially the AI - going for the second approach would be a better solution.

So we started over and dived into completely re-engineering and porting KP, using Unity as a backend.

We're happy to announce that we're ALMOST there. Unfortunately, in order to show gameplay, we'll have to pretty much be done with the entire port.

This should be done before the end of the year, at which point we'll have brand new screenshots, footage and a gameplay reveal of the game.

Until then, we want to give you a little sneak peek - We're pretty much done re-doing all of the artwork from the original game, and we want to give you a small taste of the visual differences between the original and Kingpin Reloaded.

We've assembled a Comparison Video below, which we hope you'll enjoy for the time being!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We have not abandoned the game.
Please remember this is. Being reverse engineered as the source code for Kingpin is lost.

So, it's taking longer. But, the team are working very hard. And we hope to be able to start sharing news soon.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Still no price.

Good game for what it was in the late 90s. But in modern day, it's a $20 kind of game based on nostalgia. A good fit for day one sub plans.

Top Bottom