• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Ray Down

Banned
Japanese don't go out to watch movies often, they actually think it's too expensive and would rather buy things on DVD and watch it at home.

FFXV was held at 44 theatres and imagine around 50-100 people per theatre and 10 screenings over the weekend. Not too bad for limited release.

It isn't the number that really matters, even if it was 22,000 people everyone universally loved it and some americans were there too tweeting out how good it was and talking about it on other forums.

Currently FFXV has 250k pre-orders and is currently the highest pre-ordered game in NA. (PS4/Xbone)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MWbg85e.png[/IMG]/

and 3rd most pre-ordered in japan with a whoping 180k pre orders.

1RBtw37.png

Is the first img VGC I don't recognize it?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Japanese don't go out to watch movies often, they actually think it's too expensive and would rather buy things on DVD and watch it at home.

FFXV was held at 44 theatres and imagine around 50-100 people per theatre and 10 screenings over the weekend. Not too bad for limited release.

It isn't the number that really matters, even if it was 22,000 people everyone universally loved it and some americans were there too tweeting out how good it was and talking about it on other forums.

Currently FFXV has 250k pre-orders and is currently the highest pre-ordered game in NA. (PS4/Xbone)

1RBtw37.png

Dude chartz numbers are bs, we kinda not use them around here. And comg pre-order numbers are exactly that, why are you multiplying it x1000?

Bladenic

It did. That's an abysmal number, if your math is correct. Opening weekend is always the biggest, too.

Presumably they want to make most of their money from home video sales though, and of course the game is the priority.

That's a low number but how is it in relation to the theater count?

chozen

Dude chartz numbers are bs, we kinda not use them around here. And comg pre-order numbers are exactly that, why are you multiplying it x1000?

Those numbers seem believable tbh

Chozen says 44, but now I'm questioning his math altogether after the chartz stuff, lol

44 theatres x 50 minimum people = 2200 tickets for a showing average.

Say there was 10 showings over the weekend 2200 x 10 = 22,000

22,818 tickets sold during the weekends.

Or is my math off?

Regarding villain speculation, according to what I've heard from around the net, Kingsglaive basically
dispels the notion that Ravus (hooded man) is the main antagonist as some like to theorize, and more or less confirms Ardyn as our villain.

Can anyone confirm?

Doesn't confirm anything.
Ravus is barely in it. His arm gets blown off by being rejected from the ring and we don't see him after. We see Ardyn slightly more but he really only watches the events unfold from the sidelines, as he is busy getting the crystal out of the citadel with Ideolas

As what's been presented so far, Ravus makes the most sense as a villian because he's
out for revenge

Ardyn's goals and alliegence is slightly ambiguous. We know he's working for Nifelheim and that he wants the crystal but that's pretty much all we know.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Vg Chartz yes
******** has a history of making up numbers. Not a reliable source at all. Even if they seem "believable" they're always offbase and therefore useless for discussion. So much so that I had forgotten that their name was banned.

chozen

******** has a history of making up numbers. Not a reliable source at all. Even if they seem "believable" they're always offbase and therefore useless for discussion. So much so that I had forgotten that their name was banned.

Well then, my bad if true.

MegaPanda

1RBtw37.png

Those JPN pre-orders really don't look great when it's only slightly ahead of Berseria (PS4+PS3 at around 170k).

duckroll

Nah, it's pretty much an embarrassment for Square Enix. For such a huge brand, those numbers suck, no two ways around it.

This is what successful limited releases look like in Japan for a weekend:
(2012) Madoka Magica Movie 2 - 43 screens - 117,413 tickets - 171,622,400 yen
(2014) Idolmaster Movie - 39 screens - 81,262 tickets - 149,876,900 yen

This is what FFXV looks like:
(2016) Final Fantasy XV Kingsglaive - 44 screens - 22,818 tickets - 35,516,460 yen

Famassu

Those JPN pre-orders really don't look great when it's only slightly ahead of Berseria (PS4+PS3 at around 170k).
Difference being that there are more people who line up for FF before stores open (at least used to be) and FF is the kind of game a lot of people expect they'll just walk into a store and buy it on release day. Of course it remains to be seen if a Final Fantasy or a PS4 game can draw in the kind of sales predecessors did, it'll be interesting to see if last gen did a lot of damage to the FF brand and how much further the console market has diminished in Japan.

Also, Tales is closer to release. I'd imagine FFXV's numbers will still rise a lot as we get closer to release and it's shown at TGS and they start pushing ads for it everywhere in Japan.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Nah, it's pretty much an embarrassment for Square Enix. For such a huge brand, those numbers suck, no two ways around it.

(2016) Final Fantasy XV Kingsglaive - 44 screens - 22,818 tickets - 35,516,460 yen
Yikes that's only 330K in US currency..even with a big name like FF realistic CGI films just can't catch a break. Wonder if the games sales will impact the sales of the film itself. At this point I wanna watch the movie just to see the visuals and tech on display.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

I really hope they intended to make money from the beginning through the digital and phisicaly releases more than through theaters. I don't want this to be the last visual works movie ill ever see...

Did advent children ever release in theaters?

Squire

Banned
Those numbers seem believable tbh

44 theatres x 50 minimum people = 2200 tickets for a showing average.

Say there was 10 showings over the weekend 2200 x 10 = 22,000

22,818 tickets sold during the weekends.

Or is my math off?

Claws away, kitten.

Like Eden said, chartz isn't reliable, so I just wasn't sure what to make of your other data at that point. No harm done.

Yeah, even for a limited release this just doesn't seem like a winner, considering the budget for it is probably $30-40m USD.

That's pretty sad.

I've seen a lot of good reviews about it though, which is great. Has there been any good written negative reviews though?

Ray Down

Banned

Kuraudo

Banned
Yeah, even for a limited release this just doesn't seem like a winner, considering the budget for it is probably $30-40m USD.

It was probably always budgeted as straight-to-home, with limited theatrical releases optional, so I doubt it's hurt SE in any way.

It's just pretty embarrassing and shows that while SE are managing multiple industries pretty well, they're nowhere near ready to play in the film industry.

duckroll

Yeah the budget doesn't really matter here so much as the reach and visibility. As far as profit goes, there is still home video and the game as part of the larger picture. But as an example of what the FF name means outside of the game market, this is a poor look.

Zolbrod

Regarding villain speculation, according to what I've heard from around the net, Kingsglaive basically
dispels the notion that Ravus (hooded man) is the main antagonist as some like to theorize, and more or less confirms Ardyn as our villain.

Can anyone confirm?

My main impression from watching the movie was that it was definitely looking like
Ardyn is going to be the villain. And he seems to have good potential.

The first character he reminded me of was Kefka (glad to see Tabata hinted at that as well), because he's basically the right hand of the emperor, but it's pretty obvious he has his own plans.

Z3M0G

I hope this is out to rent on PSN soon... I wonder if it may come a full month before the physical release, which would put it about 1.5 months from now.

I also hope there is a Rent option on PSN, because I want to Buy the physical version instead but would totally rent first to see it ASAP.

jett

D-Member
I really hope they intended to make money from the beginning through the digital and phisicaly releases more than through theaters. I don't want this to be the last visual works movie ill ever see...

Did advent children ever release in theaters?

Isn't this thing being "sold" as part of the FFXV deluxe edition? It's a glorified commercial, barely more than a pre-order incentive. Why would someone buy this without buying FFXV? Who could possibly be interested in Kingsglaive without being interested in FFXV? I don't think Squeenix was mad enough to think it could be a profitable endeavor on its own. I bet its budget has been rolled into the entire FFXV production.

KupoNut

Is it too late to hope for a theatrical release in Europe of this movie? JP impressions seem really good and maybe Square/Sony can use that to convince some theaters.

Is it too late to hope for a theatrical release in Europe of this movie? JP impressions seem really good and maybe Square/Sony can use that to convince some theaters.

Theatrical release has been confirmed for France at the very least (with French dub, even).

oimori

I have to say those comparison is not so fair.
Both Madoka and Idolmaster movie had special amenities(like clear holders or 35mm films) varying day by day which let Otaku watch same movie again and again to correct the goods they wanted. and Kingsglaive didn't.

This kind of marketing is serious problem in Japanese music industry.

edit: if those figures are only about 2 days, my story is not accurate.

but I'm kinda optimistic about it cuz receptions of this movie is really good in Japan.

Karuto

I don't know if it's really fair to compare Kingsglaive to those huge anime releases, though. Idolm@ster is way more relevant now than ever, especially in 2014. Same with Madoka at the time.

For another comparison, it came close to the amount the latest Gundam Origin movie made at the box office a couple months ago. Opening in the Top 10 ain't so bad.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

Yikes! Either fans give no fucks about FF movies or that doesn't bode well for FFXV. :/

Toth

I don't know if it's really fair to compare Kingsglaive to those huge anime releases, though. Idolm@ster is way more relevant now than ever, especially in 2014. Same with Madoka at the time.

For another comparison, it came close to the amount the latest Gundam Origin movie made at the box office a couple months ago.

I agree. There is also the factor that the movie is actually coming with the game and fans may be waiting for the game's actual release to see it since it ties directly in with the narrative.

The reviews though were pretty good so maybe WOM will help any box office next week.

Horrible comparison. Both of the movies you cited weren't announced 3 months before their release and had decent marketing campaigns around them. Kingsglaive on the other hand (or rather, its theatrical release) is likely in it of itself a marketing expense for Square Enix to raise awareness for the game.

Samimista

Will the soundtrack for this film be available for purchase after its release? Because I can't get enough of the score in this particular scene.

You and me both.

I keep replaying that scene just to listen to the song. It reminds me of Hans Zimmer's One Day.

But yeah, I believe the soundtrack will be available to purchase at some point. Can't wait to listen to it all, really.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

No Lightning, no sale.

Top Bottom