• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase Explains Why A PS3 Final Fantasy VII Remake Would Be "Very Hard" To Do

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently in a recent interview, Square Enix's Yoshinori Kitase explained why a PS3 remake of Final Fantasy VII would be very difficult to do.

TheLostGamer said:
Kitase explains difficulty in bringing Final Fantasy 7 remake to PS3
February 3, 2010 by Alex Seedhouse

In the same interview in which Toriyama explains the linearity of Final Fantasy XIII, he also mentioned the lack of towns was due to the fact that in producing HD quality graphics it would take far too much time for the developers to create.

Alongside such comments, Yoshinori Kitase also explains that such a problem relates to being unable to currently consider the continual requests for a Final Fantasy 7 remake.

He explains, “This issue is related to whether a Final Fantasy 7 remake will happen or not. It is very hard to make games on PlayStation 3 in the same style as the games in that era had. Making graphics will take enormous time.”
Source: http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/02...ty-in-bringing-final-fantasy-7-remake-to-ps3/

faridmon

Then create it on DS or the PSP if its that hard to do it on console

confession-age: I never played FF 7 but played all the FF7 Compilation games and watched the movie and the OVA

JSnake

Nirolak said:
That would be even harder, unless you're implying that the PS4 is going to be significantly less powerful than the PS3.

obviously PS4 will be so POWERFUL and MAGICAL that it makes games on its own in two seconds

obviously

Nairume

Banned
Despite this and the apparent issue with towns they said they were having with making FFXIII, there are still going to be tons of people convinced that FFVII will be remade for the PS3, isn't there?

I know this is the FFVII thread, but anyways, didn't some one else from S-E (unless my mind misgives and I remember it wrong) say that they had done enough work on some of the parts of the FFXIII that they ended up cutting to build a whole other game on? And now we're getting something about it would take too long to build more cities?

Swag

faridmon said:
Then create it on DS or the PSP if its that hard to do it on console

confession-age: I never played FF 7 but played all the FF7 Compilation games and watched the movie and the OVA

The fuck? Did you even understand / click with the characters at all.

Joke Post? :lol

Not really if they took out the time, money, and man power it takes to create all those cutscenes and hired programmers in their place. I would love to see an old school FF game updated for HD consoles where there is more game than movie. 2D slides comic book style would be fine with me.

ClearCELL

Banned
Nirolak said:
That would be even harder, unless you're implying that the PS4 is going to be significantly less powerful than the PS3.
That would give them time to think about a smart way to tackle something like that.
Of course the remake will be similar to FFXIII.

Vinci

Danish
“This issue is related to whether a Final Fantasy 7 remake will happen or not. It is very hard to make games on PlayStation 3 in the same style as the games in that era had. Making graphics will take enormous time.”

It's like he just put in neon the problem I have with this company.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So I don't expect 3D realtime graphics to ever look like the insanely detailed backgrounds from FF7 (well, for a while...and only some of the backgrounds...), but why can't they look like FF7-themed Vesperia towns...or even Oblivion towns? I don't really get it. Those were richly detailed towns with full shops and stuff.

Or what about Assassin's Creed towns?

With a little work, Omega could be Sector 5.

Rpgmonkey

Final Fantasy VII re-imagining with all the towns cut out confirmed.

Midgar is now a strip mall with the property owned by a rich guy.

scotcheggz said:
FFVII FANS: Please make FFVIIr. Please!!!

KITASE: Hmm.. nah, can't be arsed.

FFVII FANS: :'(
I can't blame the guy for not wanting to expend the effort

He just spent, what, five years making a single game? A game where he admits they had to cut corners because they just couldn't do enough within the five years they had?

And to do that for a game that will inevitably lead to a fanboy backlash that will simultaneously blame him for things he changed and the things he hasn't is not an appetizing prospect.

The interviewer then asks as to why Final Fantasy XIII has fewer towns compared to previous titles in the story, and whether this relates to seeking a ‘non-stop’ story, to which Toriyama explains “Yes, it is one of the reasons, but more importantly, it is a result of considering HD graphics will be the mainstream. Considering the amount of work to make graphics that deserve HD, it is hard to make towns in the conventional style.”

Nomura laughs at this.

If they can make towns and shit for Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts games, they can damn well do it on consoles as well. Weaksauce excuse for FF13 lacking some basic RPG flavour. Did every other 3d jRPG with towns just suddenly not happen post pre-rendered PS1 backdrops? S-E's troubled console development continues to unimpress.

Bugbite

Banned
Why don't they just pre-render it like it originally was? I'd be fine with that. Unless they were meaning to upgrade the gameplay as well to FFXII style, then it'd have to change.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Trailblaster said:
Why not use Crisis Core engine and assets to help offset the cost?

I have no idea why but I read that as 'Why not use Chris Gore's engine and assets to help offset the cost.'

When they do eventually make it, it will no doubt end up being for a handheld system. Next gen handhelds should have the power to make a great looking game, IMO.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Y2Kev said:
So I don't expect 3D realtime graphics to ever look like the insanely detailed backgrounds from FF7 (well, for a while...and only some of the backgrounds...), but why can't they look like FF7-themed Vesperia towns...or even Oblivion towns? I don't really get it. Those were richly detailed towns with full shops and stuff.

Or what about Assassin's Creed towns?

With a little work, Omega could be Sector 5.
As far as I can tell, Square Enix has a horrendous HD design chain.

They were restructuring several times to try and deal with this, but apparently it didn't work.

To be honest I have no idea how they intend to make games on the next generation of consoles.

Perhaps this is why Wada said that Square Enix may no longer make games like FFXIII internally, because their development pipeline is just so broken.

So many people are buying this guy's excuse. So I guess FFXIV will also be as linear, right?

But he is right that remaking FFVII to current day standards is a lot trickier in some ways than making a new FF from scratch. FFVII's design concept is just too ancient. Even FFVIII and FFIX would be simpler.

MrDaravon

edgefusion said:
Oh my god stop bitching already and just make the damn game.

Square's not the ones bitching here :lol

I still completely fail to understand people's want for a remake of this game. If I looked a list of my top games of all time, most of them would be PS1 era or older, but I still have no great desire to see any of them remade, even graphically. Regardless, in this case I think people just reallllly need to let it go.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
i miss the PS1 days where experimentation and absurdity were part of what made square interesting

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I haven't kept up with FFXIII so finding out that it lacks standard staples like towns for an RPG completely floors me.

From what I have gathered it's more action RPG than traditional RPG but I could be wrong... one thing I'm sure of is that it will have a shit ton of cutscenes.

DR2K said:
I wouldn't mind a PSP or Wii remake.

If a FF7 remake ever happens in this current generation, I am 100% convinced it would be for PSP. However, you can get FF7 off PSN right now. Remaking it would require such massive reworking that I doubt it will ever happen. Just enjoy the original, folks.

Nairume said:
Is he? Do we really know how large Vs XIII is going to be in order to make that comparison?

We know that Versus has an actual overworld. There was a screen of it last year and it's in the same style as the older FF games (where the character is larger or the same size of the town/area that they're entering). Nomura has also said that Versus will remind me of older FF's a lot more than XIII would.

H_Prestige said:
So many people are buying this guy's excuse. So I guess FFXIV will also be as linear, right?

Yes, pretty hilarious to go "making HD towns is really hard" to "oh by the way we're making an entire open MMORPG world in HD" :lol

Top Bottom