• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase on FFVII Remake:"You must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen"

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I still find this kind of ridiculous

I know its a giant game though. But not THAT much bigger than the HD Jrpgs that exist now.

Hell Bandai Namcos is pumping out HD tales games left and right. Probably on 3 year dev cycles.

Maybe more time and research needs to go into some more universal tools and engines to make the game making process easier.

I dunno man. HD game development is all over the place right now. Dev times can vary Wildly and its so risky. Its no surprise that the indie/low budget scene is exploding. And no wonder Mobile is so attractive right now.

Tales games these days also suffer from backtracking and reusing of assets. It suffers from the 'All The Ports Are Exactly The Same!" syndrome.

Tales games these days also suffer from backtracking and reusing of assets. It suffers from the 'All The Ports Are Exactly The Same!" syndrome.
New content, new storyline, new elements have to be made still, FFVII is literally already done, they just have to...update/remake it.

Still a game like FFVII will take maybe 3 years at the least, but 10 years? Come on.

Aaron

I feel like we're already past the peak where this would have been a mega hit. If Square had put this out during the PS3 era, it would have been a money fountain. Now it would still be worth it, but that window is closing.

Christhor

The only FF game that needs a remake is IX. The game is virtually unplayable because of the loading times + the fact that it has the highest encounter rate of all the PS1 games.

MilkBeard

New content, new storyline, new elements have to be made still, FFVII is literally already done, they just have to...update/remake it.

Still a game like FFVII will take maybe 3 years at the least, but 10 years? Come on.

Tales games are usually put together very quickly and lack polish in a lot of areas...Square is talking about a full, HD Final Fantasy VII that contains visuals on par with XIII. It'd be equivalent to making a new Final Fantasy title, like XV. The fact that VII is 'already made' doesn't mean anything, because they'd have to recreate everything from scratch.

Famassu

I don't think you understand how big of a project a FFVII remake would be, even if they "just" updated the graphics and didn't actually make any chances/additions/other kinds of improvements. I mean, look at it this way. You might just think that "hey, they just have to upgrade Cloud's character model" as one of the things they have to do, but there's so much more to it than that. Cloud has a lot of different weapons and each one would need to be modelled with a lot more detail for a PS3 or PS4 level remake. Cloud also has fucktons of animations during the game (cutscenes and while playing) and pretty much each one would need to be reworked because as they were on PS1 are clunky when compared to today's standards. Now, add to that fact that Cloud is not the only playable character, that there are fuckton of different looking NPCs everywhere around doing their own thing, that there are a lot of different kinds of enemies that have all kinds of animations and enemy-specific special effects, and you'll start to understand just how much work it would take to update just the different kinds of character models & things related to them (animations, special effects etc.). Another thing is... the original FFVII wasn't widescreen, so most of the time they would not be able to just use the old 4:3 backgrounds as a template, but they would actually have to think "what is beyond this point that was previously unseen?" and then create all that extra scenery, not to even mention how detailed & complex they were already on PS1, let alone how detailed they'd have to be in a PS3 or PS4 level remake.

And this is ONLY in the case that they basically do the exact same game, but upgrade the visuals. If they were to actually do something that would make FFVII more like FFXII or FFXV, then that would definitely be such a massive project that 10 years of development isn't that outrageous a claim considering the scope of the original FFVII, unless they put a team of 1000 people working on the game (which would basically mean they couldn't work on any other projects for a few years).

It would easily take 3 years with a big-ish team size, a big-ish team that Square Enix would more likely want to be working on completely new games than remakes, no matter how much they love releasing FFIV on new platforms every couple of years..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I feel like we're already past the peak where this would have been a mega hit. If Square had put this out during the PS3 era, it would have been a money fountain. Now it would still be worth it, but that window is closing.

Interesting point. Maybe so.

RaikuHebi

Banned
It's happening. He's obviously not going to give any indication as such though so it hardly matters until they're ready to announce something. His comments make sense. It's a huge project that will take a lot of effort, and demand a lot from him personally, in order to ensure the end result is something satisfactory.

How did I miss this!

Plenty of new fans to be made.

Seik

Banned
Don't do it, Square. Stick to making new stuff.

You know, I'm this kind of guy, normally.

Assuming Sillicon Studio made what Bravely Default is. I'd say that Square, itself, the main game dev studio, Pretty much only spat pieces of shit everywhere since a while.

Oh wait, there's Star Ocean TLH... big number of people hated it but I liked it for what it was...and it is made by Tri-Ace and not Square.

I'm semi-hyped for XV, but maaaaaan I'm so waiting to play it myself before buying it. I won't play the blind card like I did with XIII.

So yeah...what's the last legitimately good game Square gave us?

EDIT: I'll correct myself, since I tried FFXIV lately I can say that it's a really good MMORPG. Though I'd prefer to refer titles that doesn't need monthly payments.

Plenty of new fans to be made.

Except the JRPG market has shrunk substantially... the "new audience" that would play FF7 is much smaller than, say, the new audience for the latest FPS.

So what if it would take a lot to happen?

ITs not like it wouldn't be incredibly successful.

STOP MAKING EXCUSES!!!!!

This is equivalent to the people claiming that a new Shenmue would be incredibly successful and to stop making excuses... The audience for these games have mostly moved on and their respective genres aren't as popular as they were.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Except the JRPG market has shrunk substantially... the "new audience" that would play FF7 is much smaller than, say, the new audience for the latest FPS.

I know a few people who are interested in FFXV despite not being JRPG fans. I'm confident an FFVII would be similarly appealing to a non-JRPG audience. (just like the original FFVII was).

Natheren

Yeah I can see a completely redone FFVII in the style of FFXV taking up to possibly 10+ years with the way things are going at Square. But what I still don't understand is why they feel that they must have the top of the line graphics when they can simply build a budget version of the game. Make a version along the lines of Dissida or Crises Core's graphics and if people still want it in better graphics they can just mod that version once it hits PC like they did the original. HD graphics are killing the FF franchise at this rate =/

Final Fantasy VII was a ground breaking, amazing game but graphically, it hasn't aged the best. I would be up for a remake if not much in the way of content, diagloue, story, etc. were changed. In other words, seriously update the graphics and get the best voice actors they can find for each role and I'm all for this.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Yeah I can see a completely redone FFVII in the style of FFXV taking up to possibly 10+ years with the way things are going at Square. But what I still don't understand is why they feel that they must have the top of the line graphics when they can simply build a budget version of the game. Make a version along the lines of Dissida or Crises Core's graphics and if people still want it in better graphics they can just mod that version once it hits PC like they did the original. HD graphics are killing the FF franchise at this rate =/

Crisis Core engine, HD resolution...and I'll buy 5 copies.

Karkador

Banned
Final Fantasy VII was a ground breaking, amazing game but graphically, it hasn't aged the best. I would be up for a remake if not much in the way of content, diagloue, story, etc. were changed. In other words, seriously update the graphics and get the best voice actors they can find for each role and I'm all for this.

Voice actors will only underscore how bad the dialogue is

Zebetite

Banned
Voice actors will only underscore how bad the dialogue is

The dialogue is only the way it is because of a wonk-ass (but still totally charming in an old-school JRPG kind of way) translation. I'm pretty sure a remake would warrant a re-translation that could get around most of the original game's clunkers.

Top Bottom