• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kitase on FFVII Remake:"You must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen"

Honey Bee Inn, Cross-dressing scene, or that dolphin-jumping mini-game using Advent Children-style graphics.

Think about that for a second, people. How many here would seriously see that working?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Honey Bee Inn, Cross-dressing scene, or that dolphin-jumping mini-game using Advent Children-style graphics.

Think about that for a second, people. How many here would seriously see that working?

HD Honey Bee Inn is why this needs to happen.

TnK

I don't understand why it would be so hard to remake. Won't FFXV basically be what FFVII was before?

Shahadan

If you're afraid or need to be motivated to undertake a challenge and can't handle the responsability I'm not sure why you're still in position.

Verendus

Banned
Where's Verendus?
It's happening. He's obviously not going to give any indication as such though so it hardly matters until they're ready to announce something. His comments make sense. It's a huge project that will take a lot of effort, and demand a lot from him personally, in order to ensure the end result is something satisfactory.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
Ugh.. Please no remake. It was a masterpiece at the time but we need to move on.

First we need to make a game that resembles a role playing game again.

Edit: Bravely Default is a great start.

It's happening.
61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but that would change the game a lot. The humorous moments were as important as the serious ones.
Well i was just saying that they might look weird with the more realistic art style. If that is the case, they can try to change them so they don't look ridiculous.

RpgN

It makes sense what Kitase is saying. As much as I'd like remakes of FF games, it would be best if they don't make one for FFVII. The fanbase alone is going to destroy the game to pieces. They're the ones who want it the most, yet they will be the most unsatisfied. That's not to mention the huge budget and manpower required to build a game with the score of FFVII and with PS4 graphics. Don't do it. Instead, something related to FFVIII would be great :p FFVII fans had tons of different games, we want some too!

MilkBeard

Considering XV looks like it's going to be a pretty huge game, I bet they could use that engine to build FFVII with. Before, Crystal Tools would not really be able to handle the game.

If Verendus is right, then this is a humongous undertaking. Imagine, the original game uses separate maps that are all angled in specific ways. A 3D remake will have you walking on a big giant map with all those little ones connected. They will have to basically redesign everything entirely, almost as if they are making a new game. In a way, I can see how it would actually be harder, considering they are limited in what they can do: they have to make it embody the original. In a new game, they can simply start fresh and not have that limitation.

They could have made a DS remake in the FFIV DS engine. It would have taken a lot of work and some things would have been cut out, but they could have done it. It would have been huge.

Now I think the ship for interest has long sailed and current platforms have such high demand for assets that recreating it would take so much.

They could also use the bravely default engine and use stylized hand drawn backgrounds instead of rendered still backgrounds like the original.

There are options besides a full HD remake (which will never happen).

It's a pretty big missed opportunity that they were too proud to tackle

MilkBeard

Well i was just saying that they might look weird with the more realistic art style. If that is the case, they can try to change them so they don't look ridiculous.

Yeah, this is another one of those tricky decisions they have to make. Personally, I feel the humor helped make the game. If they change it, they risk alienating old fans. At the same time, having that humor might be ridiculous in a serious style. Really though, there are ways they can make humorous moments with the serious style that would work. They just have to be able to design the game in a flexible way to allow for shifts of mood. The crossdressing scene was a well known part of the game, I think people would be upset if they took it out. I'd love to see stuff like that recreated with voice acting and detailed graphics. It would be really funny.

Sakaguchi was really good at directing this way. Even in The Last Story, there are moments where humorous things happen. For example: When you are exploring a dark, serious dungeon, all of a sudden one of the character's stomach starts to rumble, and they make fun of her wanting to eat muffins. Really random, but funny and helps break up the mood.

Randam

when he said in order to remake Final Fantasy 7 to the quality of Final Fantasy 13 it would take three or four times longer than it took to develop the divisive PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game.
So we will never get a FF of the scale the ps1 FFs had again!?

Axass

This tallies with comments Kitase made in 2010, when he said in order to remake Final Fantasy 7 to the quality of Final Fantasy 13 it would take three or four times longer than it took to develop the divisive PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game.

To remake it to the quality of FFXIII they would just have to rip apart the original script to then form a collage of the remaining parts.
Yeah I know he was talking visual quality.

I really hope they never touch it again, they now have a record streak in releasing subpar games, the same would probably happen to the eventual remake.

Dark_castle

"Even if I casually say I would like to do that, because it would be a huge project I would have to motivate myself to the level that I really am prepared to take on this huge responsibility," he said.

This line quite bothered me. I once hold Kitase to a high regard during the SNES, PS1 era but it seems to me that this man really lacks ambition and vision in making large-scale JRPG but to settle for mediocrity nowadays.

I seriously hope Toriyama and Kitase never direct a mainline Final Fantasy title again.

Kuroyume

Banned
You have to remake the great FF aka FF8. I like FF7 but there's already been movies and spin off games. Lay it to rest.

So we will never get a FF of the scale the ps1 FFs had again!?
Pretty much. They are banking everything on FFXV to see how it sells, i guess. If it is a major success, they can perhaps create more ambitious RPGs.

This line quite bothered me. I once hold Kitase to a high regard during the SNES, PS1 era but it seems to me that this man really lacks ambition and vision in making large-scale JRPG but to settle for mediocrity nowadays.
What's wrong with what he said? He is old now. He no longer has the same energy and ambition that he had when he was young.

MilkBeard

I seriously hope Toriyama and Kitase never direct a mainline Final Fantasy title again.

I think you are interpreting it the wrong way. I think Kitase loves ambitious projects; however, remaking Final Fantasy VII is an ambitious project that would require him to forgo the creative endeavor of creating a new game. He'd be giving up 5 years or more for a project that has already been taken as far as it can go. Really I think it would be creatively stifling to a man like Kitase. I can totally understand how he feels about it.

molnizzle

It would be an absolute disaster. What worked back in 1997 wouldn't fly in 2014. Square would have to fundamentally alter many of the game's core mechanics. Fans would hate that. Besides, the new stuff would probably suck anyway (going off Square's track record this past gen). There was a time when an FFVII remake was a no-brainer. That time has passed.

Leave it alone, Square. Focus on new stuff -- look to your PSX-era releases for inspiration. Give us some new console JRPG IP's and leave the past alone.*

*Exception: HD remasters. My Vita hungers for FFXII. DO IT SQUARE

braderz

Neo Member

Or just Tifa bending down to pick things up off the floor every now and then.

fertygo

I'm not disappointed if there's no remake, but I bummed everytime they said this because basically sound like "making game with FF7 scale with modern standard is impossible" to me.

Espada

The problem about ff7 remake: cartoon jokes on realistic characters. Won't work as well as some people believe.

Exactly. I don't trust Square-Enix to remake FF7, there's too many things they'd tinker with (or "improve" in their words), and they'd wind up making something horrific like FFXIII with an FFVII skin painted on.

I can imagine it now.... Midgar turned into one long corridor, the entire support pillar section turned into a cutscene, Wall Market removed, designed altered to match Advent Children, all the cartoon jokes removed, etc...

Even if they were faithful to the original game, they'd break the bank making the remake. FFVII cost ~$45M back in the mid-90s. With the inflated budgets of today's games and the huge amount of content in VII, you're looking at a hefty price tag.

They should focus on restoring the franchise's reputation.

Carbonox

I would love to see it happen but I think they've missed their chance on delivering a full scale HD remake on home consoles now that we've entered the PS4/One generation. I think it would have been perfect for PS360. Then again, look at XV. If they nail that then they might have the stones to go all out with a new generation FFVII.

arhra

Why make it full 3D at all? Keep it with 2D backgrounds. I know they have talented artists working there, with a bit of luck they can use rerender the original background assets and improve on them.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't actually have a large proportion of the original assets any more. They've said when talking about the FFX HD remaster that they learned from that that they need to be more careful about keeping backups, so I wouldn't have much hope of them having a complete archive of the data for FFVII.

And even if they DID have all the original data, it was all designed for low resolution, 4:3 ratio screens, so it'd probably need a ton of work to look good enough for 16:9 HD.

daniels

At least he acknowledges that the new Final Fantasys are not even on the same level compared to the old classics. I wonder how toriyama feels >:p

Hedge

Thank you! Don't touch what is perfect. You will end up ruining it somehow, even with the grandest intentions.

FF7 was really pretty much crap. There were a few things that worked well, but overall there were so many bad things. They'd have to re-design a lot of things to fit the modern audience and at the same they'd just piss off a lot of fans of the original.

The problem about ff7 remake: cartoon jokes on realistic characters. Won't work as well as some people believe.

Yep. There is a lot in FFVII that would be weird if they switched to realistic graphics.

Deciding what to change in the game and what to keep the same would be a nightmare. Every choice they make will piss some people off.

There was a time when the idea of a remake seemed like it'd be a guaranteed hit and easy money. I think Final Fantasy has fallen enough that that is no longer the case. Maybe I'm completely off there, but I just don't see it selling millions upon millions of copies any more.

Zhao_Yun

It's better this way. Expectations would be over the roof and there would be a huge conflict between fans on whether it should just be a graphics upgrade or whether they should update parts of the gameplay/music, etc. as well. They should just concentrate on getting XV out soon and hopefully XVI this gen as well.

Top Bottom