• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kizuna (Wii) screens

Tenbatsu

Aras said:
<3333 omg xD is it me or other companies are starting to make this "artistic" games for the wii

*flashback: that black n white game from Capcom I dont remember the name*
Sane World

Looks like a messy mishmash of ideas (SotC, Dynasty Warriors, insert generic JRPG here) that may or may not work. I'd also have to see the game in motion before I can judge it's graphics, because Wii games tend to look absolutely terrible in screenshots. It definitely has potential, but this game is going to need some very well thought out execution in order to work well.

Tenbatsu

Mr.Potato Head said:
:lol i think thats the worst part of it all..besides the over grown half ape half pinata dude

On a serious note: Seems now days people just get hyped up over the weirdest things these days
Its just that you got bad taste thats all.

Wurm

Banned
Sir Alemeth said:
fixed.

seriously, these can't be Wii shots. they're either bullshots or PS3/360 screens.

I have to assume Wii-only owners have undergone some form of Pavlovian conditioning at this point. This game wouldnt even look impressive for a PS2 game, as evidenced already by the SotC shots in this thread. The PS2's graphical finest such as MGS3, KH2, ZOE, FF12, DMC3... these are the games from the hardware generation even before the Xbox and Gamecube. Have expectations been SO lowered by lazy Wii devs that any effort at all is applauded?

I also assume that because it resembles SotC's hideous and retarded colour-blind cousin, its a case of positive association going on.

Wurm said:
I have to assume Wii-only owners have undergone some form of Pavlovian conditioning at this point. This game wouldnt even look impressive for a PS2 game, as evidenced already by the SotC shots in this thread. The PS2's graphical finest such as MGS3, KH2, ZOE, FF12, DMC3... these are the games from the hardware generation even before the Xbox and Gamecube. Have expectations been SO lowered by lazy Wii devs that any effort at all is applauded?

I also assume that because it resembles SotC's hideous and retarded colour-blind cousin, its a case of positive association going on.

I hope your being sarcastic...there is no way you can even compare this game to SOTC, graphically (it trounces it, has less fog, and probably significantly less framerate problems) na off all the PS2 games you've listed this looks just as good

Jokeropia

Dever said:
Can't really say it looks great because it reminds of SotC too much, a last-gen game that looks much better. One of the better looking Wii games though I suppose. Hopefully it's great.
Oxymoron, unless of course you're counting all the shovelware games. (But then it's really an unnecessarily obvious statement as in general, any non-shovelware game on any system > any shovelware game on that system.)

samratty

Looks ok... I like the idea of the art style but i don't think it's quite come together well, perhaps it will look better in motion.

Three larger pics from IGN:

golden-bonds-20080901102202125.jpg

golden-bonds-20080901102204547.jpg

golden-bonds-20080901102206672.jpg

Olaeh

Thanks for the larger images now we can actually see it and I like what I see. Still can't believe this is out this year.

abstract alien said:
Im wondering if the filter that they are using(if thats what it is), is stagnant, or if it moves or flows a certain way.
seems that it is partly static, at least on individual objects. but note that the background in the different areas isn't the same. need to see videos really.
w84zs7.jpg

11loahi.jpg

Gwanatu T

Threi said:
woah.

What the hell is it with the Wii and promising-looking RPGs from non-traditional developers all of a sudden?

Developers are finally starting to see the NPD numbers roll in.

Game looks unreal, can't wait.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Gwanatu T said:

Yes, hardcore Japanese RPG makers are looking to NPD data when deciding to make Wii projects

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gwanatu T said:

Even if it becomes a cult hit it's a pretty large cult. They can't afford the same risks on the 360 or PS3.

agrajag

Banned
ImNotLikeThem said:
seems that it is partly static, at least on individual objects. but note that the background in the different areas isn't the same. need to see videos really.
w84zs7.jpg

11loahi.jpg

Well that's not cool. It's just a cheap overlay then, I can imagine this getting annoying very quickly. It'd be much better if it was something similar to cel-shading, but I'd imagine that'd be very tasking on the hardware.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
agrajag said:
Well that's not cool. It's just a cheap overlay then, I can imagine this getting annoying very quickly. It'd be much better if it was something similar to cel-shading, but I'd imagine that'd be very tasking on the hardware.
this is cell shading. and the pencil strokes overlay is technically the same as the parchment technique known (and bemoaned) from okami.

Some french gaming site whose name rhymes with "Kyo" has some pretty nice quality scanned screenshots from Famitsu... Game's looking pretty good.

D-Pad

What's with the time limit in those battle screens? I hate time limits. They make my heart beat, and my hands start shaking, and I start to panic and screw everything up.

Screens look nice. I like the filter effect, however I hope in the final build it animates or something for extra niceness. Trailer, etc?

ImNotLikeThem said:
w84zs7.jpg

11loahi.jpg
Nice screen comparisons. Yeah, we need some vids, but a static filter wouldnt be all that bad, the ps2 version of okami had the static paper in the background, although it was much more subtle(if i remember correctly).

also, this should be this guys walking animation, its awesome
11loahi.jpg

Dolphin

Banned
Well, it looks good. The art style is a little hit and miss--I love the design of the ogres, but the main character is a little... "EXXXTREEEEEME" and the big monster is too busy. Needs to be cleaned up by a talented eye, but it's looking promising. The pencil filter would be cool if it was done correctly, but that needs to be demonstrated in video.

[Edit]
Ugh...when will early gaming conventions just die? "QUADRUPLE COMBO!!! 20 POINTS!" "7 COMBO!!! GOOD!!!"

I mean seriously, is this really necessary? Can't the enemies just die when you kill them, and that can be the reward? And the HUD...why? Just get rid of those items, I'm sure you can figure out some way to demonstrate the player's health in a manner other than a bar--this is 2008. Also, people aren't equipped with radars, get rid of it. Targeting reticles on a sword fighter? How about not?

bdouble

Dolphin said:
[Edit]
Ugh...when will early gaming conventions just die? "QUADRUPLE COMBO!!! 20 POINTS!" "7 COMBO!!! GOOD!!!"

I mean seriously, is this really necessary? Can't the enemies just die when you kill them, and that can be the reward? And the HUD...why? Just get rid of those items, I'm sure you can figure out some way to demonstrate the player's health in a manner other than a bar--this is 2008. Also, people aren't equipped with radars, get rid of it. Targeting reticles on a sword fighter? How about not?

are you being serious? Pretty sure the reticule has a lot to do with the IR pointing on the Wiimote. So how about necessary for the gameplay. Combos? Yeah I like to know what I'm doing.

As for the other things they have nothing to do with the time period we are in. More to do with the way of giving feedback to the player. Yeah sometimes its easy to do this without a HUD or pop upu combo meeter but I don't see any bright lights on the characters back to display his power suits armor.

Dolphin

Banned
bdouble said:
are you being serious? Pretty sure the reticule has a lot to do with the IR pointing on the Wiimote. So how about necessary for the gameplay. Combos? Yeah I like to know what I'm doing.

As for the other things they have nothing to do with the time period we are in. More to do with the way of giving feedback to the player. Yeah sometimes its easy to do this without a HUD or pop upu combo meeter but I don't see any bright lights on the characters back to display his power suits armor.
Yeah, I'm serious. The reticle could very easily be worked into the theme (an insect or butterfly or fairy?) And all that other crap all over the screen is ugly and distracting.

And you like to know what you're doing? Me too, so I pay attention to animation.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Stormbringer said:
Some french gaming site whose name rhymes with "Kyo" has some pretty nice quality scanned screenshots from Famitsu... Game's looking pretty good.

Is the site banned (in which case, I'd like to know why), or is it just that you don't want to refer to them?

[EDIT] Ah, forgot about that, you're right.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Kilrogg said:
Is the site banned (in which case, I'd like to know why), or is it just that you don't want to refer to them?
Sites with magazine scans can't be linked to.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aras said:
<3333 omg xD is it me or other companies are starting to make this "artistic" games for the wii

*flashback: that black n white game from Capcom I dont remember the name*

MadWorld is being published by Sega.

Stormbringer said:
Site has been updated some a really nice BGM's (navigate the map to listen to them - pretty much each 'zone' has a different BGM):

http://kizuna-game.jp/
mmmm, nice
thanks for the heads up....i still cant believe this game has gathered so much interest

edit: i like the new piece of artwork for the main character when you click the dialog box.

nightez

Banned
I dont know how they've kept in business after going quiet for so long. I didn't even know Jaleco was still around. They used to make alot of games especially in the arcades.

Top Bottom